PDA

View Full Version : If this team goes 7-5....

wild_dawg
10-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Do y'all consider that a successful season? I say yes all things considered unless one of those five loses is in the Egg Bowl.

Or do you have another opinion?

MStateDawg
10-02-2019, 03:40 PM
At this point, I think 7-5 is the absolute ceiling.
So yes, I'll take 7-5 especially knowing we have a solid QB for the next 3 years.

Jack Lambert
10-02-2019, 03:41 PM
What is going to happen here is you will have a bunch say yes then you will have a bunch attack that bunch and then you will be called a troll. Just saying.

wild_dawg
10-02-2019, 03:45 PM
At this point, I think 7-5 is the absolute ceiling.
So yes, I'll take 7-5 especially knowing we have a solid QB for the next 3 years.

I think 8-4 is still the ceiling, but not likely. With how A&M has looked, we have a shot. May not be a good shot, but its a shot.

wild_dawg
10-02-2019, 03:46 PM
What is going to happen here is you will have a bunch say yes then you will have a bunch attack that bunch and then you will be called a troll. Just saying.

Lol you aren't wrong

KOdawg1
10-02-2019, 03:50 PM
I think it just depends on how we look in the loses and if one of the W's is vs. Ole Miss. If we play LSU and A&M tough and don't get completely embarrassed by Bama like we did at Auburn, then I won't be too upset about that. Then of course, Joe has to win the Egg Bowl, bc if he thought people were ready to jump ship now, go and lose on Thanksgiving night and see what happens.

Commercecomet24
10-02-2019, 03:54 PM
7-5 and a bowl game I would consider that a success.

I do want to see us look prepared and ready to play

TrapGame
10-02-2019, 03:58 PM
7-5 and a bowl game I would consider that a success.

I do want to see us look prepared and ready to play

This^^^^^

I'm right there w/ CC24.

dantheman4248
10-02-2019, 04:00 PM

I cracked up. Spot on.

Dawg61
10-02-2019, 04:02 PM
7-5 is a disappointing season for me

msstate7
10-02-2019, 04:02 PM
I picked 7-5, so I won't be critical of it. I would like to hold Bama and LSU below 70

TrapGame
10-02-2019, 04:17 PM
I picked 7-5, so I won't be critical of it. I would like to hold Bama and LSU below 70

With Saban playing Tu'a in the 4th quarter this season don't get your hopes up.

StarkVegasSteve
10-02-2019, 04:21 PM
I predicted 8-4 with a shot at 9-3 so it'll be disappointing from that perspective, but at this point 7-5 and a win in a bowl game would at least cool Moorhead's seat temporarily. I'd be happy with 7-5 at this point if we showed some fight in the other 3 losses.

Cooterpoot
10-02-2019, 04:23 PM

Troll*

Dawgology
10-02-2019, 04:24 PM
Do y'all consider that a successful season? I say yes all things considered unless one of those five loses is in the Egg Bowl.

That is still a possibility (though a long shot) and I didn't expect Kansas to be one of those losses.

Honestly, I think 7-5 now is our absolute ceiling with 6 - 6 most probably. But I can see us slipping to 5-7, We will lose to Bama and LSU. Depending on if TAMU just sucks or Ark is bouncing back will be a big factor. We should beat Tenn. but then we very likely could lose to LSU, TAMU, Ark, and Bama all in a row. Get the win vs Abilene and then Ole Miss would be a play-in game and with the Egg Bowl it could go anywhere. If our Defense can't stop shit then can our Offense score more than Ole Miss? I'm not sure.

I guess TAMU and Ark will be our swing games. I just don't know what to make of their game last weekend. If we go 7-5 and then win a bowl game to finish 8-5 you have to call it a good season. If we somehow pull off 8-4 and win a bowl to go 9-4 it was an excellent season based on personnel shortage, injuries, etc.

Cooterpoot
10-02-2019, 04:24 PM
I’ve said 7-5 since day one. But I’m concerned about it now.

RocketDawg
10-02-2019, 04:27 PM
After losing to Kansas State, and being blown out by Auburn, 7-5 would be a very good season. That means we could only lose to LSU, Alabama, and Texas A&M. A&M is a possible but not likely win. 8-4 is the obvious absolute peak.

sleepy dawg
10-02-2019, 04:29 PM
I don't think 7 is a successful season. Tolerable perhaps, but not a success. Success is when you meet or exceed your goal. I figured 7 wins was a strong possibility, but I really expected and wanted to get 8 or more coming into the season with a shot at 9 or 10 if we took a major step forward and if Stevens was as good as we all hoped.

If we end up with 7 regular season and 8 wins with the bowl game, I will be minimally satisfied, but I want more and will not accept mediocrity as success.

RougeDawg
10-02-2019, 04:30 PM
I?d be more happy with a competent showing every game by the head coach than a 7-5 season. Any inkling of neutral competence gets us to 7 wins. Any inkling of the slightly positive Competence gets us to 8 wins. Anything other than incompetence thus far in the season, we should be 4-1. Incompetence has cost us one win and one of the most embarrassing losses I?ve ever witnessed.

Our W/L record will depend on incompetence, neutral competence, or competence. We only have the track record of 17 games to base future predictions on. Based on track record 7 wins seems like a long stretch, especially since 2 of those preseason gimmes are on the road and the road competence track record now puts those games back in play. (Tennessee and Arkansas.) If we implement auburn competence in Knoxville or Fayetteville, we will lose the game.

No BS Dawg
10-02-2019, 04:56 PM
At this point, 7-5 and the bowl game would be tremendous. Lot of adversity in a lot of different ways for this team, some by their own actions and some beyond their control.

timotheus
10-02-2019, 05:04 PM
I say it depends on the UT, Ark and egg bowl. just a squeak by victory in those 3 games won't make anybody feel positive.

Liverpooldawg
10-02-2019, 05:05 PM

Yes.

Leeshouldveflanked
10-02-2019, 05:40 PM
It was 8-4 before Tutorgate....with Tutorgate we are worse off than Ole Miss was last year....7-5 is now the new expectation.

Percho
10-02-2019, 05:43 PM

Only if time runs out.*<kinda

Maroonthirteen
10-02-2019, 06:12 PM
6-6 or 7-5. Or 7-6 bowl win. All three are a successful season in most years and certainly in a rebuilding year.

Doggie_Style
10-02-2019, 06:24 PM
I don?t think 7 wins should be characterized as ?success?. It is, however, an acceptable win total that should prevent a meltdown.

Lord McBuckethead
10-02-2019, 07:44 PM
This^^^^^

I'm right there w/ CC24.

Yep.

Commercecomet24
10-02-2019, 08:00 PM
It's imperative we get to a bowl game for the extra practices cause heaven knows it looks like we need them!

PMDawg
10-03-2019, 08:33 AM

6-6 or 7-5 is where I always expected this season to end up. I thought 6-6 was most likely, prior to Tommy transferring in. Then I bought the TS hype and changed my mind to 7-5 or 8-4. That was also before tutor gate was confirmed. Long story short, 7-5 by itself would be fine with me.

The problem I'm going to have is when LSU and Alabama are replays of the Auburn game. Then, do we at least look competent against A&M? And finally, how do we approach the Egg Bowl? If we keep seeing sloppy play, lots of dumb penalties, starting every game in a hole, lack of effort, etc. then the record really doesn't matter to me. Joe needs to start an upward trend, because it's been all downhill since he took the job. I just haven't seen much from him that tells me he's going to be a winner here.

Coach34
10-03-2019, 08:50 AM
I said 7-5 before the season began and we have a shot. But we are going to lose a lot more talent again this year as we head into next season.

Captain Falcon
10-03-2019, 11:20 AM
At 7-5 you can say we basically had the result that was expected before the season, and then suspensions and injuries cost us the Kansas State game.

It wouldn’t squash all the concerns, but it would help restore a little faith. That would mean Joe has a .500 record in conference play after two years (Mullen was 6 games under .500 for his career here) and would also mean he’s 2-0 in Egg Bowls with our first home Egg Bowl win since 2013.

sleepy dawg
10-03-2019, 01:00 PM
At 7-5 you can say we basically had the result that was expected before the season, and then suspensions and injuries cost us the Kansas State game.

It wouldn?t squash all the concerns, but it would help restore a little faith. That would mean Joe has a .500 record in conference play after two years (Mullen was 6 games under .500 for his career here) and would also mean he?s 2-0 in Egg Bowls with our first home Egg Bowl win since 2013.

It also begins the trend of losing 1 more game per year each of the last 3 years. What's a success next season? 6 wins?

Homedawg
10-03-2019, 01:04 PM
6-6 or 7-5. Or 7-6 bowl win. All three are a successful season in most years and certainly in a rebuilding year.

next year is the rebuilding year.... we lose a lot ... and potentially w Gay, THompson, Hill and Dantzler even more. Hill and Dantzler I think are gone.

Homedawg
10-03-2019, 01:05 PM
yep

R2Dawg
10-03-2019, 01:20 PM
next year is the rebuilding year.... we lose a lot ... and potentially w Gay, THompson, Hill and Dantzler even more. Hill and Dantzler I think are gone.

Gay will return since he only gets 4 games to showcase himself. Hill likely gone if he doesn't get hurt. Dantzler should return at this point. He hasn't done anything spectacular to put himself in high draft position. Smart if Thompson returns also.

BuckyIsAB****
10-03-2019, 09:35 PM

Go 7-5 and beat OM, dont look like garbage in the bowl and it will be fine. All of that is still very very attainable

Coach34
10-03-2019, 09:43 PM
Gay will return since he only gets 4 games to showcase himself. Hill likely gone if he doesn't get hurt. Dantzler should return at this point. He hasn't done anything spectacular to put himself in high draft position. Smart if Thompson returns also.

Dantzler and Thompson are the key. They may choose to take their chances at the Combine/Pro Days. It would not surprise if they left or stayed. Either way- we wont know until December or Jan. Lose them and 2020 gets really an ugly rebuilding year

BuckyIsAB****
10-03-2019, 09:46 PM
Dantzler and Thompson are the key. They may choose to take their chances at the Combine/Pro Days. It would not surprise if they left or stayed. Either way- we wont know until December or Jan. Lose them and 2020 gets really an ugly rebuilding year

Dantzler is hurting himself so far this year. He has been awful against the run and Thompson is gone. His draft stock wont get much higher than it is. I like him but he aint made to play in space he is a thumper

biggun
10-03-2019, 09:47 PM

Thompson and Dantzler will be back, they will have no choice.

Hill is most likely gone. W Gay has the talent to go but the suspension and playing only 4 games might have him back in Starkville to move him up to where he actually deserves to be drafted following a full season

Pollodawg
10-03-2019, 10:01 PM
7-5 and another blowout EB win, and I?m good. I think that?s just who we are as a program, to be totally honest. That was mostly Dan, too.

Coach34
Dantzler is hurting himself so far this year. r

Scouts watch film, evaluate in person, and then put the watch on them. Dantzler and Thompson could easily leave this April. We'll see

Homedawg
Thompson and Dantzler will be back, they will have no choice.

Hill is most likely gone. W Gay has the talent to go but the suspension and playing only 4 games might have him back in Starkville to move him up to where he actually deserves to be drafted following a full season

I'll bet you that we lose at least 2 of the 4. Odds we lose all 4 are greater than 1 or zero.

Coach34
10-03-2019, 10:04 PM
I'll bet you that we lose at least 2 of the 4. Odds we lose all 4 are greater than 1 or zero.

agree. At least 2 of those 4 are gone. Likely 3. Gay may be back because he could play his way into Round 2 or 3. The rest are who they are

somebodyshotmypaw
10-03-2019, 10:34 PM
agree. At least 2 of those 4 are gone. Likely 3. Gay may be back because he could play his way into Round 2 or 3. The rest are who they are

Correct. Some guys leave early because they are good (I'm a first rounder). Others leave early because they have hit their ceiling (I'm only a sixth rounder, but I won't improve my draft status any by staying).

TaleofTwoDogs
10-03-2019, 10:46 PM

You forgot about the pissing contest between two posters that adds about 50 post to the thread.

defiantdog
10-04-2019, 03:26 AM
Hill and Dantzler are both gone..... But does it matter? 2020 is a rebuilding year no matter what. JoMo better hit the Juco route or else the pitchforks are really gonna be out.

PMDawg
10-04-2019, 07:54 AM
I say it depends on the UT, Ark and egg bowl. just a squeak by victory in those 3 games won't make anybody feel positive.

I've got news for some of you - Ole Miss is no longer a gimme. All of you expecting a blow out win in the Egg Bowl should pump the breaks.

Tbonewannabe
10-04-2019, 08:00 AM
Hill and Dantzler are both gone..... But does it matter? 2020 is a rebuilding year no matter what. JoMo better hit the Juco route or else the pitchforks are really gonna be out.

Both of those guys were gone barring something crazy. I thought Errol and Gay would be also but Gay basically missing a year and Errol looking very average for the SEC might change things. Errol needs to come back and show that he can shed a damn block. Gay could have good enough combine numbers along with a good year next year to get him in the late 1st - early 2nd range possibly.