PDA

View Full Version : Full Scholarships for college baseball players that are seniors?

Todd4State
10-01-2019, 08:55 PM
The Jake Mangum rule?

https://d1baseball.com/news/new-legislative-proposal-aims-to-ease-seniors-suffering/

I believe this is a free article.

If not the gist is AD's are considering allowing college baseball players that are seniors to be placed on full scholarship and not count against the 11.7.

There are obviously some crazy logistics and ramifications that would go along with that- so let me just sum up the solution to all of that with why not just allow teams to have 20-25 full scholarships?

It would have been very helpful for us this past season to have been able to put Mangum, Plumlee, MacNamee among others on full scholarship. Would that have been enough to entice a Hunter Stovall to come back for his senior year? The additional scholarship money would have potentially been worth another high end recruit or two for us.

As I've said before- I think college baseball is about to undergo a lot of major changes over the next 5-10 years.

Pollodawg
10-01-2019, 09:06 PM
Huge going forward if the scholly # ever gets expanded.

Teams could close the gap with Vandy then.

MetEdDawg
10-01-2019, 09:07 PM
The Jake Mangum rule?

https://d1baseball.com/news/new-legislative-proposal-aims-to-ease-seniors-suffering/

I believe this is a free article.

If not the gist is AD's are considering allowing college baseball players that are seniors to be placed on full scholarship and not count against the 11.7.

There are obviously some crazy logistics and ramifications that would go along with that- so let me just sum up the solution to all of that with why not just allow teams to have 20-25 full scholarships?

It would have been very helpful for us this past season to have been able to put Mangum, Plumlee, MacNamee among others on full scholarship. Would that have been enough to entice a Hunter Stovall to come back for his senior year? The additional scholarship money would have potentially been worth another high end recruit or two for us.

As I've said before- I think college baseball is about to undergo a lot of major changes over the next 5-10 years.

To me it's a nothing burger.

Here's why. The biggest hurdle/issue ultimately is how MLB is allowed to undersign seniors coming out of college. It's really really bad and guys are still going to leave and not take these scholarship because of that. Do I stay at MSU and get a one year full ride worth 10-15K? Or do I sign for 150K, get a salary, and if baseball doesn't work, well my organization is paying for me to finish college.

Only way it works to me is go everyone or leave it where it is. But ultimately the scholarship situation for seniors does nothing because of the slot value bull crap the MLB clubs can do to seniors in the draft. So ultimately this solves nothing.

Might help lesser tier teams though. A decent number of our seniors are probably draftable guys as juniors. So that doesn't quite help us. But might help programs that have upperclassmen retention issues because of quitting baseball and not wanting to do that while not having a real shot at pro ball.

Cooterpoot
10-01-2019, 09:17 PM
I don’t see it being a big deal.

Todd4State
10-01-2019, 09:43 PM
To me it's a nothing burger.

Here's why. The biggest hurdle/issue ultimately is how MLB is allowed to undersign seniors coming out of college. It's really really bad and guys are still going to leave and not take these scholarship because of that. Do I stay at MSU and get a one year full ride worth 10-15K? Or do I sign for 150K, get a salary, and if baseball doesn't work, well my organization is paying for me to finish college.

Only way it works to me is go everyone or leave it where it is. But ultimately the scholarship situation for seniors does nothing because of the slot value bull crap the MLB clubs can do to seniors in the draft. So ultimately this solves nothing.

Might help lesser tier teams though. A decent number of our seniors are probably draftable guys as juniors. So that doesn't quite help us. But might help programs that have upperclassmen retention issues because of quitting baseball and not wanting to do that while not having a real shot at pro ball.

To me it would have some positive effect because of the way the 11.7 has to be allocated. I'm sure there are seniors that are on some small scholarship amount. So, to me it's not so much about the seniors as it is being able to give underclassmen the seniors scholarship money.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2019, 10:02 PM
As someone that has a kid being recruited that would be awesome! I'm all for it!

Homedawg
10-02-2019, 04:41 PM
It's big for the seniors that return. However,as far as the program it doesn't help the situation much. First, there are rarely very many seniors and if there are, in lots of cases, they are on very little, if any scholarship their sr. yeear. Obviously, I'd be for it, but it doesn't get us closer to vandy and lsu in that regard.

AlSwearengen
10-02-2019, 07:18 PM
I think Met is correct. It will help the lower tier programs more.

Homedawg
10-02-2019, 07:23 PM
I think Met is correct. It will help the lower tier programs more.

I think that's fair. But they are also the ones who wont want to fund it!!!

dantheman4248
10-02-2019, 07:36 PM
The california law will help close the gap and entice seniors to play. More money to be made from endorsements and your likeness alone being a top flight player at a top program than a year in the minors.

Homedawg
10-03-2019, 12:02 PM
The california law will help close the gap and entice seniors to play. More money to be made from endorsements and your likeness alone being a top flight player at a top program than a year in the minors.

I disagree. Those guys know where the money is, and that's in the bigs. If you aren't a good enough prospect to at least think you can make it to the bigs, you probably won't be making much on your likeness. Esp in baseball

confucius say
10-03-2019, 12:19 PM
I disagree. Those guys know where the money is, and that's in the bigs. If you aren't a good enough prospect to at least think you can make it to the bigs, you probably won't be making much on your likeness. Esp in baseball

Normally. But mangum could have made well into 6 figures his sr year and I don?t think he is a big leaguer.

Commercecomet24
10-03-2019, 12:21 PM

This is true. As much as I love baseball, college baseball isn't near the revenue producer compared to cfb and college basketball.

Very rarely is there a bidding war over a recruit for baseball.

Todd4State
10-03-2019, 12:23 PM

Really depends on how much money they could make from royalties. Which we don't know yet. If you have a player that is really good and they make enough from jersey sales it may be that they could actually make more money staying in college and if they are good enough they may be able to get through the minors quickly spending less time making chump change.

Homedawg
10-03-2019, 12:53 PM
Normally. But mangum could have made well into 6 figures his sr year and I don?t think he is a big leaguer.

True jake could have done well. However, he's the exception not the rule. And while i don't think he's a big leaguer either, he isn't a bad prospect. Point is, this rule wouldn't keep hunter stovall here. He wouldn't benefit from his likeness.
ETA, how many jersey's do you think we sell? or shirts w his name whatever? it takes a whole lot to get to 6 figures in royalties, a WHOLE LOT. Way more than what we sell i assure you

Homedawg
10-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Really depends on how much money they could make from royalties. Which we don't know yet. If you have a player that is really good and they make enough from jersey sales it may be that they could actually make more money staying in college and if they are good enough they may be able to get through the minors quickly spending less time making chump change.

Again, a jake yes could have made a good amount. And he didn't stay in order to make money, it was costing him,,,,,,,But it's not going to keep most players here. Just isn't.

confucius say
10-03-2019, 04:42 PM
True jake could have done well. However, he's the exception not the rule. And while i don't think he's a big leaguer either, he isn't a bad prospect. Point is, this rule wouldn't keep hunter stovall here. He wouldn't benefit from his likeness.
ETA, how many jersey's do you think we sell? or shirts w his name whatever? it takes a whole lot to get to 6 figures in royalties, a WHOLE LOT. Way more than what we sell i assure you

I was thinking more endorsements than jerseys. Like commercials, paid autograph sessions, etc. But yea, jerseys too.

Agree Jake is the exception

Todd4State
10-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Again, a jake yes could have made a good amount. And he didn't stay in order to make money, it was costing him,,,,,,,But it's not going to keep most players here. Just isn't.

How much did Jake make off of the shirts and jerseys that MSU sold after he graduated?

Again, we can't make assumptions one way or the other until we actually know all the rules and have all the numbers to plug in. Which is going to vary by player and team anyway.

Homedawg
10-03-2019, 11:14 PM
How much did Jake make off of the shirts and jerseys that MSU sold after he graduated?

Again, we can't make assumptions one way or the other until we actually know all the rules and have all the numbers to plug in. Which is going to vary by player and team anyway.

I have no idea. I'll look into it. But royalties are tiny. I'd be surprised if it was a grand amount.
But we are talking about one player. Again he's th e exception to the rule in baseball at least. Even for us.

Todd4State
10-03-2019, 11:49 PM
I have no idea. I'll look into it. But royalties are tiny. I'd be surprised if it was a grand amount.
But we are talking about one player. Again he's th e exception to the rule in baseball at least. Even for us.

I think the larger picture here as far as baseball goes is for the first time in my life we are starting to see some small signs of the 11.7 increasing. Let's say a team has five seniors on the team. If this passes technically a team will go from 11.7 to 16.7 scholarships. Even if those seniors are role players with no MLB or pro future- that's still a pretty significant increase. And I think eventually the powers that be will say "Well, why not just go ahead and increase it to 17 or whatever since that's basically what they are doing right now anyway." Now yes, it may not change who actually is on scholarship from the 11.7 very much- but it does at the very least make things more fair for players across the board. And at least the ones that are on the 11.7 that do stay for their senior years are penalized for staying.

Royalties non-withstanding. But I do think in our case at MSU it would give us an advantage in baseball recruiting only over say someone like Vanderbilt. Because the royalties for an Elijah MacNamee are going to be more than they are at Vanderbilt. Whatever the numbers are.

Stuff like this is eventually probably going to lead to a split in college baseball. Which should have happened 20 years ago anyway.

RiverCityDawg
10-04-2019, 08:54 AM

This is when several of the diamond dog club members get together and pay Hunter about $100K "for his autograph".