PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Scheme

KOdawg1
10-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Obviously, we've got a shit storm on defense. Can't tackle, can't cover, can't create pressure, etc. I think Willie elevates the D somewhat when he's in, but outside of him, Erroll, and a couple of others, there aren't many playmakers. One in particular that has just played poorly this year is CJ Morgan. I know he's near the top in the SEC in tackles, but when there's a big play given up, he's normally around it. Then of course, we have the problem at DT that seems to be the reason behind all the other problems.

My question is if it's logical to change a defensive scheme mid-season? I look at our defense, and I see a weakness at DT, so why not limit the number of those guys on the field? By switching to a 3-4, you play one DT and you can rotate to keep them fresh. Then, you go Brule, Thompson, Leo, and Willie (when he's available) or Tim Washington (when Willie's not) at LB. Move Brian Cole to one of the safety spots with Landrews, take Morgan off the field, and I think you get more value out of your defense.

I've never coached football before and don't claim to, so that's why I'm asking if it's logical. I think it would be a major transition mid-season like this, but honestly, could it get any worse? 77th in total defense with 401 YPG.

R2Dawg
10-01-2019, 09:21 PM
I thought we got some pressure playing 5 down linemen. We also have to blitz from different places and not telegraph it. We can't sit back and read and react.

trojandawg
10-01-2019, 09:46 PM
We don?t have a beast to play that part at NT anymore. We will just get attacked in middle more. You have to have someone that can control two-three offensive lineman to do that effectively

Todd4State
10-01-2019, 09:47 PM
I don't know about something major.

I might try to switch some players around- move Cole to safety and start Tim Washington with Gay out. I could see Joe giving Shawn Preston some playing time possibly at safety as well- which may help very marginally.

Bothrops
10-01-2019, 09:52 PM
I've seen a slight bit more consistency of a pass rush, lately. I hope to see it earlier in games.

Todd4State
10-01-2019, 10:20 PM
To me, I essentially feel like we have two defenses:

The one with the suspended players and the one without the suspended players.

The one without looks a lot more like the one that I thought it would be in the offseason.

Cooterpoot
10-01-2019, 10:40 PM
We’re thinner at LB than anywhere on the field. 3-4 ain’t happening.

RiverCityDawg
10-02-2019, 06:24 AM
We've been so bad against the run, I don't think getting lighter in the front 7 is the answer. I could see it if we were putting a bad ass linebacker on the field in a sorry DT's place, but Erroll and Willie are the only ones we have that are SEC starter quality.

The truth is we only have about 6 or 7 guys that should be starters in the SEC (if we want to compete against the top half of the league) and 2 of them are suspended for 8 games. We have too many weaknesses and there doesn't seem to be anyone waiting in the wings to step up. How bad do our backup safeties have to be when Morgan plays the entire game? Brule, Watson and Kilby-Lane apparently aren't worth of any reps over Leo freakin Lewis. I'm afraid there's no silver bullets, we just have to keep forcing turnovers and hope our offense clicks with Shrader so we can outscore teams.