PDA

View Full Version : I Think This Team Is About to Take Off Offensively

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2019, 01:17 PM
Yes, this is a positive post.

I realize that total stats may not indicate that MSU is about to take off offensively, but to my eye this offense is close to clicking. Auburn MAY have the best defense in America, but too my eye, once Shrader entered the game the other night, we somewhat moved the ball with ease & it looks right. Plays were open, WRs were open, & we're still are not hitting the deep ball like we will as GS gains more experience & gets in sync with his WRs.

From the moment GS entered the game the other night vs Auburn with 9:41 left in the 1st quarter, MSU averaged 5.8 yards per play in the game against possibly the country's best defense.

It just feels like the field opens up & the offense is in sync with Shrader, & with a week off to fully implement him as the starter, I just have a feeling that this offense may be close to hitting an impressive level that may not stop for 4 years.

The best thing IMO that Sloppy Joe can do from this point on out is to take the ball on the opening kickoff, script the first two drives with GS, & try to jump ahead quickly in the game. By doing this, it would allow our defense to play with some margin for error & make the other team start chasing the game, which could change their play calling.

I always thought this was one of the best things that Hugh Freeze did at OM. He was the master of scoring on the first possession & putting the other team in a bind because of it.

I realize there isn't much positivity around here & nor should there be, but that doesn't mean it's all bad. I think we are really really close on offense.

That being said, Joe's offense works with Shrader so he needs to cut out the BS, run the damn play, & go power when the down & distance dictates. He has to figure out how to turn the yards & ease of moving the ball into points. I love how fast Shrader plays. He plays faster that most any QB we've ever had.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2019, 01:19 PM
The only thing positive from Saturday was how our offense looked with Garrett. We moved the ball on a great d. Spivey dropped a td(we did get a fg), we missed a td by an inch with green on that pass and then we fumbled, and missed xp. That's 12 points which would've given us 35 points in 3.5 quarters with Shrader. If he had started who knows what happens. The offense is definitely better with Shrader

Rick Danko
10-01-2019, 01:21 PM
My god you are impossible to get a read on. I give it twenty minutes before you type up a soliloquy about why Moorhead should be fired if he benches Tommy Stevens....

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2019, 01:24 PM
My god you are impossible to get a read on. I give it twenty minutes before you type up a soliloquy about why Moorhead should be fired if he benches Tommy Stevens....

I haven't called for Moorhead to be fired.

I've been pleased with how the offense looked after the first few drives at Auburn the entire time. It's your own fault if everything has to be black & white with you & your unable to realize that we can do somethings well & be a dumpster fire in others.

Should you not acknowledge both?

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 01:25 PM
It is kind of like when Dak would enter the game. He had the IT factor but you had to shrink the playbook for the freshman. The plays that he runs, he does really well. Stevens has a bigger playbook but I would rather run 20 plays really well rather than 40 plays not as well.

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2019, 01:26 PM
It is kind of like when Dak would enter the game. He had the IT factor but you had to shrink the playbook for the freshman. The plays that he runs, he does really well. Stevens has a bigger playbook but I would rather run 20 plays really well rather than 40 plays not as well.

I'm perfectly fine shrinking the offense for Shrader.

StarkVegasSteve
10-01-2019, 01:27 PM
Garrett and the offense was the ONLY remotely positive thing about Saturday night. He definitely made some mistakes(trying to dive from the 3 yd line, overthrows) but it's nothing that can't be fixed. We definitely looked a lot better with him at the helm. His running ability is what makes him better than Stevens for the long run, and I think that's why regardless of how Stevens is physically we need to start Garrett for the rest of the season.

Jarius
10-01-2019, 01:29 PM
The offense is going to be fine. He has to figure out something on defense with the suspensions. It is completely unacceptable to be that bad on defense under any circumstance. I know it's just the social media age and how things work, but it burns my ass to see our players (particularly on defense) whining about fans talking bad about them after Saturday's performance. I would be too embarrassed in the way I played to say anything at all, much less complain about fans after that shit show. I do believe we will be much better against the teams we play Autry, Gay, and Murphy. Playing Autry against USM is going to possibly cost us an SEC game.

NCDawg
10-01-2019, 01:56 PM
I don't think our offense will ever reach its full potential if we can't get some sort of tempo going. The "check with me" system slows everything down and stops any momentum we have in my opinion. I agree the defense is bad right now, very bad. We get knocked around, don't tackle well, and our pass defense is terrible. I'm not sure that we have the athletes or the coaching to fix the problems on defense.

yjnkdawg
10-01-2019, 02:11 PM
I haven't called for Moorhead to be fired.

I've been pleased with how the offense looked after the first few drives at Auburn the entire time. It's your own fault if everything has to be black & white with you & your unable to realize that we can do somethings well & be a dumpster fire in others.

Should you not acknowledge both?

You need to read your thread after the KSU loss. (9-14-2019 )- He shouldn't have even been our coach against KY or Auburn. *** How quick we forget.

Todd4State
10-01-2019, 02:22 PM
If we score 56 a game there will still be someone bitching about it.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 02:24 PM

Only way anyone would complain about that is if the defense gave up 80, which is possible this year vs Bama

msu15
10-01-2019, 02:36 PM

And 7 will find a way to bring up Mullen.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 02:37 PM

I don't bring up Mullen. I do defend Mullen against the stupid attacks. Look at the threads where Mullen is discussed... bump the one where I bring him up.

ETA... this is a perfect example... you brought up Mullen.

Jack Lambert
10-01-2019, 02:37 PM
Our defense looks bad how come no one is on the fire the DC wagon?

yjnkdawg
10-01-2019, 02:40 PM

Yep! We shoulda scored 63 points but JoeMo made the wrong call on that 3rd down play. Fire him tomorrow. Oh, wait! That was just a "quick thought." ****

confucius say
10-01-2019, 02:41 PM
The only thing positive from Saturday was how our offense looked with Garrett. We moved the ball on a great d. Spivey dropped a td(we did get a fg), we missed a td by an inch with green on that pass and then we fumbled, and missed xp. That's 12 points which would've given us 35 points in 3.5 quarters with Shrader. If he had started who knows what happens. The offense is definitely better with Shrader

I did the same math yesterday and asked some folks if they would feel differently about sat if the score would have been 59-35. Most said they would at least have confidence in the offense scoring 35 at auburn, likely the best or second best defense in the league.

wild_dawg
10-01-2019, 02:41 PM
Garrett is the real deal. If you want to find some positives, he seems to encapsulate what JoMo's O is all about. Hopefully we can get some more Shrader like players on the roster.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 02:46 PM
I did the same math yesterday and asked some folks if they would feel differently about sat if the score would have been 59-35. Most said they would at least have confidence in the offense scoring 35 at auburn, likely the best or second best defense in the league.

Maybe if the score was 42-23 at half and the final was 59-35. When it's 21-0 after 6 mins and 42-9 at half, you have to question a lot of the stats. Do you feel om scoring 31 at Bama was really impressive? It was 38-10 at half. Both state and om's offensive output has to be questioned when it's a complete domination and over at halftime

Scared_Hitless
10-01-2019, 02:59 PM
Only way anyone would complain about that is if the defense gave up 80, which is possible this year vs Bama

You misspelled Probable...................... May Saban have Mercy

msstate7
10-01-2019, 03:00 PM
You misspelled Probable...................... May Saban have Mercy
I think he will. I do expect 50 though

Lord McBuckethead
10-01-2019, 03:09 PM
The offense is going to be fine. He has to figure out something on defense with the suspensions. It is completely unacceptable to be that bad on defense under any circumstance. I know it's just the social media age and how things work, but it burns my ass to see our players (particularly on defense) whining about fans talking bad about them after Saturday's performance. I would be too embarrassed in the way I played to say anything at all, much less complain about fans after that shit show. I do believe we will be much better against the teams we play Autry, Gay, and Murphy. Playing Autry against USM is going to possibly cost us an SEC game.

They shouldn't be mad at the fans. They should be mad about the few that cheated on a simple ass class.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2019, 03:24 PM
Maybe if the score was 42-23 at half and the final was 59-35. When it's 21-0 after 6 mins and 42-9 at half, you have to question a lot of the stats. Do you feel om scoring 31 at Bama was really impressive? It was 38-10 at half. Both state and om's offensive output has to be questioned when it's a complete domination and over at halftime

True but we are one inch from that game being 35-17 at half and one da penalty from getting the ball back at the end of the first half. Not getting the one inch and the penalty the reason the game was 42-9 instead of 35-17 so the stats are legit there. Now it sucks we weren't disciplined enough to get that one inche or not commit that boneheaded penalty to keep us from getting the ball back. But 35-17 at half sure feels a lot better than 42-9

msstate7
10-01-2019, 03:27 PM
True but we are one inch from that game being 35-17 at half and one da penalty from getting the ball back at the end of the first half. Not getting the one inch and the penalty the reason the game was 42-9 instead on 35-17 so the stats are legit there. Now it sucks we weren't disciplined enough to get that one inche or not commit that boneheaded penalty to keep us from getting the ball back. But 35-17 at half sure feels a lot better than 42-9

Sure, but if it's 35-17 at half, auburn probably doesn't let up at all

yjnkdawg
10-01-2019, 03:27 PM

I doubt Saban would run the score up on us like that if he could. Based upon the way our defense has looked so far, if somebody wanted to run the score up that much. I wouldn't rule out either LSU or Bama possibly doing so.

confucius say
10-01-2019, 03:29 PM

Fair. But the 12 points (extra point, 6 inch line and no points, Spivey drop that caused settling for fg instead of td) were all in the first half, so it would have been 42-21 at the half. Which is still freaking horrible, but bc of the defense, not the offense.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2019, 03:35 PM
Sure, but if it's 35-17 at half, auburn probably doesn't let up at all

Did they let up lol? There backup was still throwing passes at the end zone late in the 4th. There's one thing that's obvious though when Garrett came in we moved the football consistently and that was when the game was still in first quarter. He led us to a fairly easy td on his first drive and then another but Spivey drops a td pass and then of course the fumble and it easily could've been 35-21 at half. I know we played like dog crap but anyone that watches our offense to start with tommy and then when Garrett came in has to admit it was night and day difference that's a fact

msstate7
10-01-2019, 03:37 PM
Did they let up lol? There backup was still throwing passes at the end zone late in the 4th. There's one thing that's obvious though when Garrett came in we moved the football consistently and that was when the game was still in first quarter. He led us to a fairly easy td on his first drive and then another but Spivey drops a td pass and then of course the fumble and it easily could've been 35-21 at half. I know we played like dog crap but anyone that watches our offense to start with tommy and then when Garrett came in has to admit it was night and day difference that's a fact

I think letting up with a 33 point halftime lead is something a coach can't control. Players relax

Commercecomet24
10-01-2019, 03:42 PM
I think letting up with a 33 point halftime lead is something a coach can't control. Players relax

My point is the 2 almost full games Garrett has played against sec competition our offense has been very very consistent and moved the football which is a pleasant thing to watch lol. That is a fact.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 03:48 PM
My point is the 2 almost full games Garrett has played against sec competition our offense has been very very consistent and moved the football which is a pleasant thing to watch lol. That is a fact.

I am thrilled with shrader.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2019, 03:51 PM
I am thrilled with shrader.

Good man! See these are the discussions I love on here. Just folks taking State football without becoming a bitching contest. Good stuff

Bothrops
10-01-2019, 04:21 PM
LSU will score 60ish, Bama probably the same. Huge personnel mismatch in both games. There's nothing we can do about that.

Maverick
10-01-2019, 04:42 PM
I agree, the offense looks much more promising this year. The fact that Shrader came fresh off the bench and drove us down the field at auburn on his first possession without blinking an eye is very telling to me at the type of person he is. Each game he's played in has only proved more and more that he's got that IT factor.

DeltaChicagoDog
10-01-2019, 05:19 PM
“I’ll always be ready”
-Quote The MF Beard

Turfdawg67
10-01-2019, 05:32 PM

Or some stats regarding the 3rd rainy Saturday in October vs. overcast days in November. And throw a Prescott (the pro version) jab in there for good measure.

Turfdawg67
10-01-2019, 05:34 PM
Good man! See these are the discussions I love on here. Just folks taking State football without becoming a bitching contest. Good stuff

Oops...

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2019, 05:36 PM
LSU will score 60ish, Bama probably the same. Huge personnel mismatch in both games. There's nothing we can do about that.

I’m more interested in how many we score on them. Our defense and offense will only get better

msstate7
10-01-2019, 05:45 PM
Or some stats regarding the 3rd rainy Saturday in October vs. overcast days in November. And throw a Prescott (the pro version) jab in there for good measure.

Hates me. Post about me constantly

Commercecomet24
10-01-2019, 06:34 PM
Oops...

Oh well I tried lol

RocketDawg
10-01-2019, 06:42 PM

We could well score some on Bama too, if their defense is still riddled with injuries by that time. We're not going to stop their offense though.

chef dixon
10-01-2019, 07:57 PM
Right now we have zero open field playmakers. When was the last time we had a player get a screen or slant and house it? Guidry last year had a good one against A&M but that is all I?m recalling. Kylin has a long run of 20 something yards this year which is absurd.

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2019, 08:07 PM
Right now we have zero open field playmakers. When was the last time we had a player get a screen or slant and house it? Guidry last year had a good one against A&M but that is all I?m recalling. Kylin has a long run of 20 something yards this year which is absurd.

I agree, but I think those are coming with Tulu, Heath, & some others. Even still though, the offense is beginning to show signs of really clicking