PDA

View Full Version : Today's Boneyard - WOW

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2019, 07:44 PM
Rosebowl said today that after back to back blowouts in 2017 to UGA and Auburn, we had an off week before the BYU game and Mullen took a vacation to his Georgia lake house for a week. Lol.

No wonder he couldn't recruit.

BrunswickDawg
09-30-2019, 07:49 PM
Rosebowl said today that after back to back blowouts in 2017 to UGA and Auburn, we had an off week before the BYU game and Mullen took a vacation to his Georgia lake house for a week. Lol.

It does take Strain to waterski on Lake Oconee.

msstate7
09-30-2019, 07:51 PM
Will state fans ever stop finding reasons to blame something on Mullen?

https://i.postimg.cc/tJHkBwK4/D2657-A71-EC72-4160-A07-C-53470-C4-F82-DB.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Coursesuper
09-30-2019, 07:54 PM
No, Wow two years removed and he's talking about Mullen.

Cooterpoot
09-30-2019, 07:54 PM
He took a lot of vacations, whenever he wanted for the most part. Cohen didn’t care for it. Strick didn’t care.

msstate7
09-30-2019, 07:55 PM
No, Wow two years removed and he's talking about Mullen.

Craptastic performance Saturday night, so Cohen and rosebowl take to the radio with "...but Mullen..."

Coursesuper
09-30-2019, 08:05 PM
Craptastic performance Saturday night, so Cohen and rosebowl take to the radio with "...but Mullen..."

I hope that someday everyone else will be able see through the constant bullshit that flows from the athletic department through the fan media. Trying to control the narrative will be what they are all about now that the fan base is kinda on edge wondering about the football hire. Sadly many State people will eat it up like it is the gospel and ask for seconds. Aka this thread went strait to the new narrative about Mullen not the current football team.

Jack Lambert
09-30-2019, 08:12 PM

Mullen did suck up a bunch of games. Hell JWS did to.

Coach34
09-30-2019, 08:12 PM

straight out of the Democrat playbook. Find another villian to take pressure off the real problem

TUSK
09-30-2019, 08:18 PM
In.

ZedFedder
09-30-2019, 08:19 PM
That’s Steve trying to take pressure off Moorhead and being a maroon man. That’s not relevant to the here and now.

LC Dawg
09-30-2019, 08:23 PM
Stories like this are why you shouldn't pay college football coaches 5+ million. It's not just Mullen. It's human nature to enjoy the fruits of his labor. Mullen didn't work harder after a raise. He's not working any harder now at Florida. Jimbo Fisher isn't working harder now than he did at FSU.
Saban is a freak. Most people aren't going to keep working hard and being obsessed with perfection after they make big bucks. Just look at the SEC West since Saban has been there and see how much has been spent on coaches to try to dethrone him. If Mullen is ****ing off mid season after getting his ass beat it's our fault as fans/donors for valuing football wins too much and allowing it to happen. At least he wasn't off ****ing sharks***.

confucius say
09-30-2019, 08:33 PM
I?m not blaming sat night on Mullen. But we had zero DT between the ages of 19 and 22, unless you count the converted OL James Jackson. Zero. That much is on Mullen.

We dressed 6 DT Saturday:

Kendal Jones. Sr
James Jackson. So (OL)
Lovett. Fr
Crumedy. Fr
Cam young. Fr
Pickering. Fr

msstate7
09-30-2019, 08:40 PM
I?m not blaming sat night on Mullen. But we had zero DT between the ages of 19 and 22, unless you count the converted OL James Jackson. Zero. That much is on Mullen.

I suppose. Not Mullen's fault Simmons went pro and Autry cheated though.

confucius say
09-30-2019, 08:43 PM

Was Cohen on the radio discussing Mullen today?

Also, sat was horrible. And Dan was a 7.1-4.9 coach here. Joe will be the same. Both those things can be true.

Coach34
09-30-2019, 08:44 PM

We dressed 6 DT Saturday:

Kendal Jones. Sr
James Jackson. So (OL)
Lovett. Fr
Crumedy. Fr
Cam young. Fr
Pickering. Fr

Sloppy Joe knew this was going to be the case this season- how many juco DT's did we sign to offset it?

BeardoMSU
straight out of the Democrat playbook. Find another villian to take pressure off the real problem

Lolz. That's rich coming from you, Peach.

Cooterpoot
Everybody, including Mullen, knew Simmons was gone his Jr yr. He didn’t do a damn thing to replace him. Mullen left us with crap at a lot of spots because he basically left with Dak.

Randolph Dupree
09-30-2019, 08:45 PM
FWIW I didn't take it as Steve trying to shift heat from Moorehead to Mullen, rather putting some things in perspective. It doesn't change how I feel about Saturday but I think the show put somethings in perspective. It was still a shit show out there and it can't happen again but for those wishing Mullen back they probably need to check up.

confucius say
09-30-2019, 08:46 PM

Simmons would be a sr and everybody knew he was a 3 year guy from day 1.

Autry is a sr. He does not fix the 19-22 gap. We have zero sophomore or jr DT, less a converted OL. I feel safe in saying we are the only power 5 school with that issue. Joe needs to get his ass in gear, but the DT issue is largely on Dan.

msstate7
09-30-2019, 08:47 PM
The buck stops with... Mullen.

Coach34
09-30-2019, 08:49 PM
Simmons would be a sr and everybody knew he was a 3 year guy from day 1.

Autry is a sr. He does not fix the 19-22 gap. We have zero sophomore or jr DT, less a converted OL. I feel safe in saying we are the only power 5 school with that issue. Joe needs to get his ass in gear, but the DT issue is largely on Dan.

aGAIN- why didnt Sloppy Joe sign some juco DT's? He knew what the roster looked like and had a chance to offset it.

Cooterpoot
09-30-2019, 08:50 PM
If Jo is this good recruiter people talk about, he’ll fix the roster before he’s out the door.

msstate7
09-30-2019, 08:51 PM
aGAIN- why didnt Sloppy Joe sign some juco DT's? He knew what the roster looked like and had a chance to offset it.

Half this board will never hold Moorhead responsible for anything. Mullen and fitz's fault last year, Mullen's fault this year, probably Mullen's fault again next year... 20 years from now, some posters here will be blaming Mullen for something.

Cooterpoot
09-30-2019, 08:52 PM

Name the Juco DTs he could?ve signed. There weren?t many in MS. We chased a couple transfers who weren?t any good. But there weren?t decent options available.

BeardoMSU
09-30-2019, 08:53 PM
Name the Juco DTs he could?ve signed.

And how many of those would've contributed day 1?

Cooterpoot
09-30-2019, 08:54 PM
This is dumbass argument. Mullen left shit throughout the roster and Jo isn’t the coach Mullen was. There’s no winner in this argument.

confucius say
09-30-2019, 08:55 PM
Sloppy Joe knew this was going to be the case this season- how many juco DT's did we sign to offset it?

How many did he offer who were capable of playing? That is the fair question (you cannot control who you sign, especially at juco, but you can control who you offer).

Coach34
09-30-2019, 08:57 PM
Name the Juco DTs he could?ve signed. There weren?t many in MS. We chased a couple transfers who weren?t any good. But there weren?t decent options available.

There were juco DT's around the country and Sr transfers. We got none of them.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=JuniorCollege&Position=DT

confucius say
09-30-2019, 08:58 PM
Half this board will never hold Moorhead responsible for anything. Mullen and fitz's fault last year, Mullen's fault this year, probably Mullen's fault again next year... 20 years from now, some posters here will be blaming Mullen for something.

I cannot speak for others, but for me I 100% hold joe responsible for the lack of focus, effort, and organization sat. Among other things. But no soph or jr DT on the roster is on Dan.

Todd4State
09-30-2019, 09:01 PM

Joe will be fully responsible in due time. But in year two- it's not all on Joe. Just like in year two for Dan it wasn't his fault that we had Relf and finished 11th in the SEC in scoring.

That's what you're not getting. It does take coaches a few years to fully make the program their own. Just like this year isn't entirely on Jimbo Fisher at Texas A&M either.

This is a key thing that some people aren't getting right now.

Coach34
09-30-2019, 09:02 PM
But no soph or jr DT on the roster is on Dan.

Mullen was smart enough to sign jucos when he had holes. We didnt sign any juco DT's

Cooterpoot
09-30-2019, 09:02 PM

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=JuniorCollege&Position=DT

None that would (a) make an impact (b) come to Starkville. More shitty DT play wouldn?t help. Love is one of those. The kid from Rice was one. We chased what we could. Nothing worked out. We chased Young til the end. We signed a top end talent in Pickering.

BeardoMSU
09-30-2019, 09:03 PM
This is dumbass argument. Mullen left shit throughout the roster and Jo isn’t the coach Mullen was. There’s no winner in this argument.

Exactly. Both can be true.

I'll agree with the OP that the timing of this debate is suspicious, but L.O.L. at the constant revisionist history regarding Mullen, as if the same people sucking his virtual dick right now, weren't also the EXACT same people tearing him down year after year, game after game, when he was our coach.

Lets be clear: he perpetually underachieved, got blown out in games every year, whiffed on 'cruits, and got out coached by a gallery of coaches around the league, Freeze most notably....all while neglecting it all while job shopping at the end of every year.

And I say all that while still appreciating what Dan did here, and I am grateful for his tenure, but to act like he didn't have major issues, issues that followed him to Florida, is just propagandist bull shit.

Homedawg
09-30-2019, 09:04 PM

He did not take e week off. He did go there for the weekend. Now I didn't agree w that either. But you or rose bowl got it wrong. I'll assume it's rosebowl

msstate7
I cannot speak for others, but for me I 100% hold joe responsible for the lack of focus, effort, and organization sat. Among other things. But no soph or jr DT on the roster is on Dan.

Total offense is 79th nationally after being 71st last year. Scoring offense is 70th after being 68th last year. Didn't we hire him as an offensive savant that could take us to the next level offensively?

Cooterpoot
Mullen was smart enough to sign jucos when he had holes. We didnt sign any juco DT's

He did it to get a job. Plus, he had a load of transfers from other schools fall in his lap. He signed a ton of shitty jucos on that OL too.

Coach34
None that would (a) make an impact (b) come to Starkville. More shitty DT play wouldn?t help. Love is one of those. The kid from Rice was one. We chased what we could. Nothing worked out. We chased Young til the end. We signed a top end talent in Pickering.

Righttttttt. In the top 20 juco DT's- I assure you we could have used one at least. And we could have signed one. Spew that BS somewhere else

bobtail bob
09-30-2019, 09:06 PM
This just tells me they know Sloppy Joe is a problem. Taking to the propaganda rather than attack the deficiency head on and is more telling of Cohen rather than muffins

confucius say
09-30-2019, 09:07 PM

Serious question, what juco DT did you want him to sign?

Homedawg
If Jo is this good recruiter people talk about, he’ll fix the roster before he’s out the door.

He does work hard at it. And is better than Mullen at it. W that said, our results won't be much better than dan's and this year will be another 10-11 finish in the league and 25 at best overall. Probably closer to 30.

Cooterpoot
Righttttttt. In the top 20 juco DT's- I assure you we could have used one at least. And we could have signed one. Spew that BS somewhere else

Could?ve used and could?ve signed are two different things. Like I said, this is a no win argument. Mullen shit on recruiting and Jo crapped the bed coaching. It all is bad for our program.

Really Clark?
Pope, Elliss, and Collins were signed in 2017. 2 didn’t get in and Pope left (a lot of talent but not enough heart for the game). 5 total DT we tried to sign that class with 2 JUCO’s in Pope (highest rated) and Autry. It’s not like we didn’t sign several with Mullen trying to make up the numbers. Some of y’all act like we just didn’t even go after any and that’s why we are in this position with DT’s. And it’s definitely not like last year was Moorhead's first class. The gap has been known for a while. The transition year obviously was very difficult to add DT’s but let’s not act Mullen didn’t go after numbers. We also lost Williams to UNM (not really shocking but still) when Moorehead first came in and had to battle to get Lovett back in the fold or the DL situation would be even worse.

Homedawg
09-30-2019, 09:08 PM

The one we had a shot at that joe himself waited to late on. Maybe he was no good but we needed to take a shot. Just like we did on love.

confucius say
09-30-2019, 09:10 PM
Total offense is 79th nationally after being 71st last year. Scoring offense is 70th after being 68th last year. Didn't we hire him as an offensive savant that could take us to the next level offensively?

Lets see where we are at the end of next year, with a qb who, supposedly, fits his system and is not a true freshman.

Really Clark?

JCJC had a solid DT from Bay Springs that would have helped a good bit. Went to VT

BeardoMSU

Give him a few minutes to conduct a Google search.**

https://media1.tenor.com/images/c8404b8f6ec6cefafca629f83c7c6fd3/tenor.gif?itemid=10255065

Cooterpoot
09-30-2019, 09:11 PM
Everybody knew Pope would never hatch it. He couldn’t get right in HS or Juco. Ellis never qualified and his situation was known up front.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-30-2019, 09:13 PM
Was Cohen on the radio discussing Mullen today?

Also, sat was horrible. And Dan was a 7.1-4.9 coach here. Joe will be the same. Both those things can be true.

Cohen was on Matt Wyatt's show today. If I don't believe anything else he said, I believe he's going to give Moorhead time and believes in him.

Cooterpoot
09-30-2019, 09:14 PM
JCJC had a solid DT from Bay Springs that would have helped a good bit. Went to VT

Best defensive player to come out of Bay Springs ended up playing basketball at OM.

Really Clark?
09-30-2019, 09:16 PM
Everybody knew Pope would never hatch it. He couldn’t get right in HS or Juco. Ellis never qualified and his situation was known up front.

Agree on Elliss but Pope seemingly rededicated himself his last season a CoLin and played the best he ever did and best shape he ever was. Sure you have questions whether if it was going to stick with him but the recent history his last season was good. And yes I’ve known him, his issues and watched him play a ton in HS as well. When his heart and motor was right, he could have been really good. That was always a big question but seemed to change his last year. It didn’t stick

Homedawg
09-30-2019, 09:16 PM
To add to my previous post, it's not shocking that Steve is wrong. But he'll have all th e sheep believing it cause he said it.

confucius say
09-30-2019, 09:20 PM

Who could we have used that we also could have signed? No smartass, serious question. Bc if he exists, that is absolutely on joe.

confucius say
09-30-2019, 09:21 PM
To add to my previous post, it's not shocking that Steve is wrong. But he'll have all th e sheep believing it cause he said it.

Dan was gone Thursday to Sunday that week, no?

Cooterpoot
09-30-2019, 09:22 PM
Pope was in the wrong crowd his whole life. He was lazy as the day is long. He quit HS. He quit Juco. He played about 1/4 the time he was on a field. We missed on some folks and took him. I could tell you a lot about him, but no point. He and Bridges and that crew were bad news but Bridges got away a bit.

Todd4State
09-30-2019, 09:24 PM

You might want to look at Dan's offensive stats in year two.

At any rate- using "Nationally ranked" can be misleading.

We may be 70th Nationally right now- but our PPG has gone up from 28 to 30. Total offense is about the same- but total offense is the equivalent if wins for baseball pitchers. Some of it is based on field position and it can be misleading. The goal of a football team isn't really to rack up yards- but points.

It's also worth noting that we haven't played our FCS opponent yet which we should pad some stats with and is included in last year's stats. With what we have left on the schedule and how those teams have performed I'm anticipating that by the end of the year we will end up having better numbers than last year.

You can compare our SEC only stats and both are up as far as PPG from 19 to 25 and total offense is up from 316 to 377 compared to last year- which I think is fair to use since that's what you consistently tried to use to discredit Joe last year.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 09:24 PM
Exactly. Both can be true.

I'll agree with the OP that the timing of this debate is suspicious, but L.O.L. at the constant revisionist history regarding Mullen, as if the same people sucking his virtual dick right now, weren't also the EXACT same people tearing him down year after year, game after game, when he was our coach.

Lets be clear: he perpetually underachieved, got blown out in games every year, whiffed on 'cruits, and got out coached by a gallery of coaches around the league, Freeze most notably....all while neglecting it all while job shopping at the end of every year.

And I say all that while still appreciating what Dan did here, and I am grateful for his tenure, but to act like he didn't have major issues, issues that followed him to Florida, is just propagandist bull shit.

Bravo sir! The most accurate post on here and all of it is 100% accurate!

Rep given!

Todd4State
09-30-2019, 09:26 PM
Cohen was on Matt Wyatt's show today. If I don't believe anything else he said, I believe he's going to give Moorhead time and believes in him.

Honestly if Cohen said anything else he might as well just go ahead and fire him.

But I do agree with you. Cohen is not going to fire him if he keeps winning the games he should and not after the suspensions that have happened.

And as I've said before Cohen really shouldn't fire anyone after two years considering his first two as baseball coach. Which actually should be taken as a lesson for some of our posters on here.

defiantdog
09-30-2019, 09:28 PM
JoMo may not be a lazy recruiter, but I'm not sure he's much better than Mullen. Has he broken a top 20 recruiting class yet?

Cooterpoot
09-30-2019, 09:28 PM
And I agree with 34 and 7 they?re deflecting. But what are they supposed to do? Cohen is catching heat too. This was his biggest hire and it?s not going to work out unless the jucos really show out. He’s one more bad hire from a shit storm on his porch.

Really Clark?
09-30-2019, 09:30 PM
Pope was in the wrong crowd his whole life. He was lazy as the day is long. He quit HS. He quit Juco. He played about 1/4 the time he was on a field. We missed on some folks and took him. I could tell you a lot about him, but no point. He and Bridges and that crew were bad news but Bridges got away a bit.

No doubt about that and it was a gamble if he had really changed. The best thing he could have done was get up here and cut ties and dedicate to the game but too much influence bringing him back into the fold. Just saying for all the years I’ve known him, his last season at CoLin he showed what he possible be by just taking a step forward

Homedawg
09-30-2019, 09:30 PM
Dan was gone Thursday to Sunday that week, no?
Flew out thurs night and flew back in Sunday morning... best of my recollection. Didn't know that was a week. We practiced thurs he was here he was back sun well before meeting. Again I'm not a fan of it. But that's not like he took a week off. Just not factual. Dan's an ass he deserves criticism for some things. Maybe this. But don't make shit up that he was gone for a week.

confucius say
09-30-2019, 09:36 PM
Flew out thurs night and flew back in Sunday morning... best of my recollection. Didn't know that was a week. We practiced thurs he was here he was back sun well before meeting. Again I'm not a fan of it. But that's not like he took a week off. Just not factual. Dan's an ass he deserves criticism for some things. Maybe this. But don't make shit up that he was gone for a week.

I was also told Thursday to Sunday. I agree that is not a week.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
09-30-2019, 09:36 PM

Sloppy Joe now that's 17ing Hilarious!!

BrunswickDawg
09-30-2019, 09:46 PM
IIRC - team was let go too. Possibly was Fall break? Im sure there is a post on the board from then criticizing Fitz for going to visit his girlfriend.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 09:49 PM
And I agree with 34 and 7 they?re deflecting. But what are they supposed to do? Cohen is catching heat too. This was his biggest hire and it?s not going to work out unless the jucos really show out. He?s one more bad hire from a shit storm on his porch.

Does any AD ever call out a coach? Most say something like "they have our full support" right before they fire them.

Homedawg
09-30-2019, 09:53 PM
IIRC - team was let go too. Possibly was Fall break? Im sure there is a post on the board from then criticizing Fitz for going to visit his girlfriend.

As the norm for bye week. But I understand the problem w the coach "leaving town" even if it just looks bad. I get it. But Steve is wrong a whole lot. Just look at his reporting of tutor gate. So who is shocked he's wrong. Not me

msstate7

Oh lort, fitz and Mullen went out of town, ED bout to have to cal a doctor for a 4-hour erection

Really Clark?

It was fall break. It started that Thur

Coach34
09-30-2019, 09:54 PM
1. We knew our upcoming DT situation
2. We knew we needed a juco or a grad transfer
3. We didnt get either.

Thats not on Mullen. Thats the bottom line. Now dont get me wrong- Sloppy Joe and crew recruits hard and is better than Mullen and crew. But you have to fault them on the handling of the DT situation- you cant be lazy and just blame Mullen after praising Mullen about the young talent we signed.

Homedawg
09-30-2019, 09:54 PM
Does any AD ever call out a coach? Most say something like "they have our full support" right before they fire them.

As he should. Especially at this point. Heck it's 5 games in and we aren't firing him so why not support him. And that's coming from someone who is convinced he's gonna get fired. But I'd prefer for him to turn it around. Honestly.

Todd4State
09-30-2019, 09:57 PM

I don't really see the big deal myself. Sometimes a break is needed and a good thing. Based on how we performed the rest of the year it was probably more beneficial.

state66
09-30-2019, 09:58 PM
Did we not evaluate a couple juco DL and the transfer from Rice and ended up rolling with what we had vs. using a scholarship on one of them?

Update: After looking up the visits we missed on the kid from Rice and Keonte Schad to Minnesota. Looks like JoMo was trying to fill the gap at DL but swung and missed.

Really Clark?
09-30-2019, 10:00 PM
Did we not evaluate a couple juco DL and the transfer from Rice and ended up rolling with what we had vs. using a scholarship on one of them?

The transfer from Rice decided to stay closer...we would have took him.

Todd4State
09-30-2019, 10:01 PM

Pretty rarely. Unless it's a Freeze situation with the hooker. Because AD's know that they are going to have to get someone to work for them even if it isn't the current coach. Showing poor support in a very public position can make it much more difficult to hire a coach.

And that could actually end up leading to the school firing the AD if he's the reason why the school can't get a quality football coach.

It could also blow up in the AD's face if the coach goes somewhere else and is successful after the AD doesn't support them too.

Homedawg
09-30-2019, 10:02 PM
I don't really see the big deal myself. Sometimes a break is needed and a good thing. Based on how we performed the rest of the year it was probably more beneficial.

Agree. It's more about perception. I mean if he stays here and is on the couch all weekend who would know???

Todd4State
09-30-2019, 10:02 PM
The transfer from Rice decided to stay closer...we would have took him.

I'm pretty sure that we expected the DT from Louisville to be cleared as well.

And as I said the other day- losing Brian Baker didn't help matters either.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 10:03 PM
Agree. It's more about perception. I mean if he stays here and is on the couch all weekend who would know???

This.

Pollodawg
09-30-2019, 10:12 PM
I can’t listen to the Boneyard anymore. It’s 10 minutes of sunshine pumping and 45 mins of Steve lecturing and preaching at the fan base.

Homedawg
09-30-2019, 10:15 PM
I can’t listen to the Boneyard anymore. It’s 10 minutes of sunshine pumping and 45 mins of Steve lecturing and preaching at the fan base.

You left out the sniffing, listening to him slurping his drink, in addition to him being unable to pronounce LSU, and any word that begins w th,.....

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 10:17 PM
You left out the sniffing, listening to him slurping his drink, in addition to him being unable to pronounce LSU, and any word that begins w th,.....

Dang dude that's hilarious!

BeardoMSU
09-30-2019, 10:25 PM
I can?t listen to the Boneyard anymore. It?s 10 minutes of sunshine pumping and 45 mins of Steve lecturing and preaching at the fan base.

He's pretty insufferable, tbh. His "starkvillain" shirts definitely come to mind. Steve's almost as consumed with his "rep" as some on this board.

biggun
09-30-2019, 10:30 PM
Joe will be fully responsible in due time. But in year two- it's not all on Joe. Just like in year two for Dan it wasn't his fault that we had Relf and finished 11th in the SEC in scoring.

That's what you're not getting. It does take coaches a few years to fully make the program their own. Just like this year isn't entirely on Jimbo Fisher at Texas A&M either.

This is a key thing that some people aren't getting right now.

Didn?t we in Year 2 under Dan win 9 games including the Gator Bowl and finish 15th in the nation??? And that was year 2 following the disastrous Croom era

Bdawg
09-30-2019, 10:31 PM

Yeah I forgot we recruit nationally. Come on man. The first player from MS on that list is a mid 3 star. Now he could be great. I don't know cause I haven't seen him play, but no one would have been fired up about many of those guys.

Bdawg
09-30-2019, 10:33 PM

This is 100% true.

ScoobaDawg
09-30-2019, 10:38 PM

Keep politics out of this. This hook isn't gonna work. You know what you were doing.

BeardoMSU
09-30-2019, 10:41 PM
Yeah I forgot we recruit nationally. Come on man. The first player from MS on that list is a mid 3 star. Now he could be great. I don't cause I haven't seen him play, but no one would have been fired up about many of those guys.

And there it is. Good info, Bdawg. I suppose that's why can-o-peaches hasn't responded to the numerous requests to provide a list of the actual DT recruits Joe should've spent scholarships on, lol...

Really Clark?
09-30-2019, 11:00 PM
Nobody is saying we could sign a Simmons type of production replacement from JUCO but we had 2 from MS JUCO’s that signed P5, done fairly well so far and would have added depth to help offset depth issue we have. Hopefully help replace Hoyett type while the young guys mature. I know there were question marks on them for the SEC but we are talking depth pieces to bridge the gap.

Bdawg
09-30-2019, 11:15 PM
Nobody is saying we could sign a Simmons type of production replacement from JUCO but we had 2 from MS JUCO’s that signed P5, done fairly well so far and would have added depth to help offset depth issue we have. Hopefully help replace Hoyett type while the young guys mature. I know there were question marks on them for the SEC but we are talking depth pieces to bridge the gap.

Heck I blame both coaches. Mullen missed on his guys and left a hole and I'm sure Joe looked at some and didn't get the holes filled either. But it started because of Mullen and Joe has to fix it. And just one more thing, no need signing the type of player that just going to come in and get blown up just to try to fill a spot. Not saying the guys you were speaking of were of that caliber, either.

Todd4State
09-30-2019, 11:37 PM
Didn?t we in Year 2 under Dan win 9 games including the Gator Bowl and finish 15th in the nation??? And that was year 2 following the disastrous Croom era

Yep. We won eight games. During the regular season. Just like last year.

BrunswickDawg
10-01-2019, 06:04 AM
As the norm for bye week. But I understand the problem w the coach "leaving town" even if it just looks bad. I get it. But Steve is wrong a whole lot. Just look at his reporting of tutor gate. So who is shocked he's wrong. Not me

Oh lort, fitz and Mullen went out of town, ED bout to have to cal a doctor for a 4-hour erection

It was fall break. It started that Thur

It was, and it is normal. And I was being dead serious about threads criticizing Fitz about it at the time. And someone with better search skills then me can probably find them.

Coursesuper
10-01-2019, 06:09 AM
Well the spin in working, this devolved into a Mullen driven discussion and those who didn't see it as spin. Sad.

Cowbell
10-01-2019, 06:24 AM
3. We didnt get either.

Thats not on Mullen. Thats the bottom line. Now dont get me wrong- Sloppy Joe and crew recruits hard and is better than Mullen and crew. But you have to fault them on the handling of the DT situation- you cant be lazy and just blame Mullen after praising Mullen about the young talent we signed.

1. That is squarely on Mullen. He left two years worth of no DTs - none. That?s inexcusable in our league recruiting in our state.
2. We needed a? As in one? Try 2-3. Atleast.
3. We tried to get one that did not qualify. Not many to choose from and maybe none wanted to come here. But Moorhead does need to catch some heat for this.

1bigdawg
10-01-2019, 06:27 AM
3. We didnt get either.

Ok, Coach. Most of the points you make are valid. However, there were not many, if any, good possibilities last year. It was a weak year for JUCO DTs and there were very few decent ones in the portal. We tried for the guy from Rice, and did not succeed. Unfortunately there were not a lot of good options. See bottom of post for 2019 JUCO DLs.

Where we may have missed is not getting a JUCO in 2018. The problem from a recruiting standpoint at that time is that it was obvious to all that there was going to be no playing time for the JUCO in 2018 as we had 3-4 pro potential junior and seniors. Many JUCOs need a redshirt, but almost none believe that.

Sevendust posted the below on another site:

Top 12 2019 JUCO DT's...
#1-Savion Williams-Lackawanna C.C. signed-Tenn (2nd team hasn't made much of an impact at DE)
#2-Keonte Schad-Ellsworth C.C signed-Minn(2nd team ...hasn't made much of an impact)
#3-Darel Middleton-East Mississippi C.C signed-Tenn(Lost his starting spot after the first game)
#4-Jahkeem Green-Highland C.C signed-Neb(Wasn't able to sign with an SEC school because of a lack of a class....looks like he is going to redshirt this year)
#5-Tramel Walthour-Hutchinson C.C signed-UGA(Was placed in JUCO by UGA...looks like he is going to redshit this year)
#6-Myles Tapusoa-Eastern Arizona College signed-Arizona(Starting and doing well..but wasn't able to sign with an SEC school because a lack of a class)
#7-Kane Taylor-East Mississippi C.C signed-FIU(Not listed on their 2 deep)
#8-Chris Daniels-Copiah-Lincoln C.C. signed-Missouri(Not listed on their 2 deep)
#9-Jaquavious Collins-Iowa Central C.C. signed-UAB(Not listed on their 2 deep)
#10-Dashawn Crawford-JCJC- signed-VTech(Starting but said that he is about to lose his job...their rush defense is bad)
#11-Juan Harris-Independence C.C signed-Ind(Indiana placement)
#12-Atlias Bell-Iowa Western C.C signed-Houston(2nd team...hasn't played much)

Coursesuper
10-01-2019, 06:42 AM
I can?t listen to the Boneyard anymore. It?s 10 minutes of sunshine pumping and 45 mins of Steve lecturing and preaching at the fan base.

That's his job, to pump sunshine and dole out the info he's given. Fan Media is used to disseminate info intended to reach the eyes and ears of a fan base in order to keep donations and ticket sales flowing and asses in seats.

Lord McBuckethead
10-01-2019, 07:09 AM
I was thinking the republican playbook. Ha.

Dawg2003
10-01-2019, 07:23 AM

Steve has some crazy vendetta against Mullen that he can't let go. He did an entire podcast on how Mullen leaving went down a year after it happened. The truth of the matter is that Steve is too biased to trust 100% when he's reporting stuff like this.

BrunswickDawg
10-01-2019, 07:31 AM
Steve has some crazy vendetta against Mullen that he can't let go. He did an entire podcast on how Mullen leaving went down a year after it happened. The truth of the matter is that Steve is too biased to trust 100% when he's reporting stuff like this.

Probably goes back to the Will Redmond deal

Dawg2003
10-01-2019, 07:32 AM

It's gotten pretty bad. There's just not a lot of content anymore. It's mostly Steve talking about "a certain segment of the fanbase" that doesn't think like he does, pimping his book/shirts and "restaurant quality hamburgers," and then ranting about on and on about something. The digs at Ole Miss and Mullen aren't even funny. It just sounds bitter. "Thunder and Lightning" is so much better.

Dawgology
10-01-2019, 07:32 AM
Where does one even listen to the Boneyard anymore? Thought that app was shut down.

Coursesuper
10-01-2019, 07:40 AM

That's because he's just a parrot to feed you talking points he's given.

MedDawg
10-01-2019, 07:46 AM

Ridiculous. Moorhead has signed plenty of JUCOs to fill holes.

As others have already said, there weren't any quality JUCO DT's that we could get in 2019. The ones that went to UT were from Tennessee or had previously committed to UT. The rest weren't worth going after. We're playing the redshirt freshmen that Moorhead signed in 2018 because we don't have redshirt sophomores or juniors from 2016 and 2017.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 08:01 AM

So is it normal for a coach to take a bye weekend off during the season? I understand that a lot let the players go home or something like that because you have practice time limits anyway. Do coaches usually take that off or use it for recruiting or something else?

Rosebowl is definitely throwing up the smokescreen for Moorhead but in this case is it legitimate to give Mullen crap for this type of instance?

Really Clark?
10-01-2019, 08:03 AM

As others have already said, there weren't any quality JUCO DT's that we could get in 2019. The ones that went to UT were from Tennessee or had previously committed to UT. The rest weren't worth going after. We're playing the redshirt freshman that Moorhead signed in 2018 because we don't have redshirt sophomores or juniors from 2016 and 2017.

We signed 8 or 9 DT’s in 2016 and 2017. Freshman and JUCO’s. Y’all stop acting like we just neglected the position in 2016 & 2017. Yeah some didn’t make it or pan out but it was being addressed those years. The problem was the Mullen to Moorehead transition where we lost DL and had to fight to get even Lovett back.

And Crawford at a min would have giving us depth for this season to help bridge a little of these issues. Don’t give me he wasn’t good enough to add depth. He and the kid from Coahoma both could have done that. Allows for better rotation and fresher legs in games. Neither would have been world beaters but stop gaps and that is what has been talked about

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 08:03 AM

As others have already said, there weren't any quality JUCO DT's that we could get in 2019. The ones that went to UT were from Tennessee or had previously committed to UT. The rest weren't worth going after. We're playing the redshirt freshman that Moorhead signed in 2018 because we don't have redshirt sophomores or juniors from 2016 and 2017.

It definitely feels like if Moorhead had gotten any of the DTs that they didn't already miss on that it would have been similar to the Arizona Western debacle under Sherrill. Is a crappy Juco really any better than just taking your lumps with talented freshmen? Most of the guys we are playing are 4 star type of talent and with Lovett, he had a lot of high level offers like Bama.

trojandawg
10-01-2019, 08:17 AM
Junior yes. Sophomore no. Jo was hired two days after dan walked out. That?s on Moorhead. What did the DT class look like two years ago that would have be juniors. We were really deep on the line last year this year we aren?t. That?s just the way it goes recruiting at State. You aren?t going to have 4 and 5 stars at every class all over the field. You develop and stop gap with juco guys. That?s what Mullen did and Jackie. Moorhead hasn?t figured that out yet. He didn?t learn It fast enough to help this year. His inexperience with how MSU works in recruiting hurt him. Dan deserves some of blame for the DT but Moorhead does too

rosebowl Also said secondary and linebackers would be great. They suck too. It?s not just the DL wasn?t good.
Rosebowl is nothing but a Cohen mouth piece to send out the narrative. The only good thing rosebowl has done is get freeze canned and had to have the help of Tom Mars to do it. His information other than that has usually been bad or down right wrong.

I expected the defense to be not anywhere near as good after losing what we did in graduates and the draft. What I didn?t expect is for them too look completely inept all over the field. Not just the dline. Our defensive ends linebackers snd secondary were supposed to still be pretty good. They all look bad. You can?t pin that on Mullen. That?s on Shoop and Moorhead. I was expecting a big drop off just not completely off the cliff to nonexistent experience. My evaluation on Moorhead year two is based on overall team and offensive improvement which still looks shitty in year two. He can?t blame that on Mullen either.
Blaming Mullen for all of Joe?s problems is just silly. Mullen has guys on the DL all over nfl. He had a strong DL pretty much the entire time he was here. He figured a way to fill the gaps. Moorhead didn?t.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 08:22 AM
Junior yes. Sophomore no. Jo was hired two days after dan walked out. That?s on Moorhead. What did the DT class look like two years ago that would have be juniors. We were really deep on the line last year this year we aren?t. That?s just the way it goes recruiting at State. You aren?t going to have 4 and 5 stars at every class all over the field. You develop and stop gap with juco guys. That?s what Mullen did and Jackie. Moorhead hasn?t figured that out yet. It didn?t fast enough to help this year. His inexperience with how MSU works in recruiting. Dan deserves some of blame for the DT. But rosebowl Also said secondary and linebackers would be great. They suck too. It?s not just the DL wasn?t good.
Rosebowl is nothing but a Cohen mouth piece to send out the narrative. The only good thing rosebowl has done is get freeze canned and had to have the help of Tom Mars to do it. His information other than that has usually been bad or down right wrong.

I expected the defense to be not anywhere near as good after losing what we did in graduates and the draft. What I didn?t expect is for them too look completely inept all over the field. Not just the dline. Our defensive ends linebackers snd secondary were supposed to still be pretty good. They all look back. You can?t pin that on Mullen. That?s on Shoop and Moorhead. I was expecting a big drop off just not completely off the cliff to nonexistent experience. My evaluation on Moorhead year two is based on overall team and offensive improvement which still looks shitty in year two. He can?t blame that on Mullen either.
Blaming Mullen for all of Joe?s problems is just silly. Mullen has guys on the DL all over nfl. He had a strong DL pretty much the entire time he was here. He figured a way to fill the gaps. Moorhead didn?t.

One thing is that we seemed to be ok on DE depth so why not try one of our bigger DE as a DT? A lot of times the last few years UM had undersized DT that have done ok using speed instead of size. Is this not an option? This could be a dumb question but anyone want to answer it?

confucius say
10-01-2019, 08:34 AM
We signed 8 or 9 DT’s in 2016 and 2017. Freshman and JUCO’s. Y’all stop acting like we just neglected the position in 2016 & 2017. Yeah some didn’t make it or pan out but it was being addressed those years. The problem was the Mullen to Moorehead transition where we lost DL and had to fight to get even Lovett back.

And Crawford at a min would have giving us depth for this season to help bridge a little of these issues. Don’t give me he wasn’t good enough to add depth. He and the kid from Coahoma both could have done that. Allows for better rotation and fresher legs in games. Neither would have been world beaters but stop gaps and that is what has been talked about

We signed 5 in 2017 (autry, James Jackson, pope, Collins, Ellis) and 2 in 2016 ( Simmons and tre brown).

Really Clark?
10-01-2019, 08:38 AM
We signed 5 in 2017 (autry, James Jackson, pope, Collins, Ellis) and 2 in 2016 ( Simmons and tre brown).

We signed Kobe in 2016 as well. So 8

msstate7
10-01-2019, 08:44 AM

Kobe Jones was listed at dt in 2016 class. Listed at 6'4" 265 out of HS. He's 6'4" 270 now... just never got bigger.

Davis and Jones were the other 2 good DTs in 2016... other than them, there was no one in the state. State of Alabama had 2 DTs in their top 40: Williams to Bama and Tillman (#22) to Louisville. Louisiana had 8 in their top 40: 4 to LSU, 2 to Texas, 1 to ark, and 1 to South Carolina

MedDawg
10-01-2019, 09:04 AM

Collins and Ellis never made it. Pope and Tre Brown were JUCO. Simmons was always a 3 year guy. That leaves Autry and James Jackson (a converted OL) to help in 2019.

In 2015 Mullen signed ZERO high school DT's--they could be redshirt seniors now.

So in 2015, 2016, and 2017 combined only TWO defensive tackles were signed and enrolled to help in 2019.

Cooterpoot
10-01-2019, 09:07 AM
Junior yes. Sophomore no. Jo was hired two days after dan walked out. That?s on Moorhead. What did the DT class look like two years ago that would have be juniors. We were really deep on the line last year this year we aren?t. That?s just the way it goes recruiting at State. You aren?t going to have 4 and 5 stars at every class all over the field. You develop and stop gap with juco guys. That?s what Mullen did and Jackie. Moorhead hasn?t figured that out yet. He didn?t learn It fast enough to help this year. His inexperience with how MSU works in recruiting hurt him. Dan deserves some of blame for the DT but Moorhead does too

rosebowl Also said secondary and linebackers would be great. They suck too. It?s not just the DL wasn?t good.

I expected the defense to be not anywhere near as good after losing what we did in graduates and the draft. What I didn?t expect is for them too look completely inept all over the field. Not just the dline. Our defensive ends linebackers snd secondary were supposed to still be pretty good. They all look bad. You can?t pin that on Mullen. That?s on Shoop and Moorhead. I was expecting a big drop off just not completely off the cliff to nonexistent experience. My evaluation on Moorhead year two is based on overall team and offensive improvement which still looks shitty in year two. He can?t blame that on Mullen either.

That class wasn’t on Jo. Coaches spend years recruiting kids. Mullen took a lot of high risk/low reward kids at DT. He recruited crap at WR. Just how it is. None of the jucos mentioned would help us other than an extra body.
And I’m not a huge Jo supporter. I’m just telling you the truth. Jo is sucking at coaching/running his program and Mullen half-assed recruiting after 2015. Move on. We’ll have a new coach after next year in all likelihood and that’s not a good thing big picture wise, but it’s where we are now.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 09:08 AM
BTW, we signed 1 DT last year according to 247, and have 2 current commits listed at dt. Are we taking more?

confucius say
10-01-2019, 09:16 AM
We signed Kobe in 2016 as well. So 8

Kobe was, is, and always will be a DE. While yall are banging on Steve, he told you as much way back the.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 09:20 AM
BTW, we signed 1 DT last year according to 247, and have 2 current commits listed at dt. Are we taking more?

We have 7 DTs for 2020 with no Seniors and 8 DEs with 2 that are Seniors. What is the right number that we should have for our roster? You only have so many spots and it seems like we need to even out the classes so this year doesn't happen again. I would think you always take someone like Pickering if you can get him and just make it work but otherwise we need to look at our roster makeup. It is crazy that we are having to move a sophomore back and forth between DT and OG because of depth. I understand issues like having 3 Centers go down with injury but our roster shouldn't be this "off".

Joe has to figure it out and coach them up but Mullen left a mess as far as how the roster shakes out. I am not saying that Mullen might not have figured it out but it is a problem.

Bdawg
10-01-2019, 09:31 AM
So is it normal for a coach to take a bye weekend off during the season? I understand that a lot let the players go home or something like that because you have practice time limits anyway. Do coaches usually take that off or use it for recruiting or something else?

Rosebowl is definitely throwing up the smokescreen for Moorhead but in this case is it legitimate to give Mullen crap for this type of instance?

Any coach with drive would be recruiting. Going to a high school game or something.

Really Clark?
10-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Kobe was, is, and always will be a DE. While yall are banging on Steve, he told you as much way back the.

Depended on scheme and how he grew. We were running 3-4 but also used 4-2-5 and Kobe was looked at as a possible swing type DE/DT.

Really Clark?
10-01-2019, 09:38 AM
Collins and Ellis never made it. Pope and Tre Brown were JUCO. Simmons was always a 3 year guy. That leaves Autry and James Jackson (a converted OL) to help in 2019.

In 2015 Mullen signed ZERO high school DT's--they could be redshirt seniors now.

So in 2015, 2016, and 2017 combined only TWO defensive tackles were signed and enrolled to help in 2019.

Fletcher Adams played both from the 2015 class but DE was a more natural fit. We also were transitioning to 3-4 personnel during these years as well. That was also part of the issue.

confucius say
10-01-2019, 09:50 AM

Hope so

CadaverDawg
10-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Mullen could coach better than Joe FROM his lake house.....so IDGAF

CadaverDawg
10-01-2019, 09:57 AM
Mullen almost took us bowling in year 1 with Tyson Lee at QB. Mullen proved himself....Sloppy Joe hasn't proven shit, and doesn't appear to be on pace to.

Mullen pissed me off a ton, but anyone trying to bash Mullen in any way shape or form right now while watching Joe sloth out there with an unprepared and undisciplined team every week, is out of touch with reality.

yjnkdawg
10-01-2019, 09:57 AM
I agree it was over blown on the DM stuff but as Steve said MSU was a stepping stone for DM . From what I heard (and I said this last year, or maybe right after DM left)), when he took this job he wasn't planning on staying here but a few years until he won a few bowl games, and then he, his country club bunch, and the other assistants who were on board with this could move on to a real football school. So those who thought he came here to stay for a lengthy time, or to make MSU his retirement home were really mislead.

There have been so many posts on different boards about what DM would have done last year if he had been here. Again this is only speculation based. Unless the ganes were actually played under that scenario, it is just a guessing game on what he would have done, or not done. However, I will say it again. I don't have any confidence that DM would have beaten OM last year. He would have more things on his mind that were important to him than beating OM.

Yeah, I think it was overblown for sure, but I think a lot of people believing how loyal DM actually was too MSU, and addressing this stuff about if DM had been the coach last year, we would have done this had gotten old.

Now, am I happy with the lack of discipline, unpreparedness, lack of focus amd looking like the keystone cops or a chineses fire drill in some phase of the special teams play every single game it seems? No, I am not and that has got to be fixed.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 09:58 AM
Mullen could coach better than Joe FROM his lake house.....so IDGAF

At times definitely but the 2016 season is looking very comparable to this year except we have one more winnable game with UT. Offensively we are fairly close to those averages and unfortunately our defense is close to the Sirmon defense averages.

RougeDawg
10-01-2019, 10:04 AM

If our athletic department had done its job, the football 10 would all still be eligible. Get with the program. Everything from tutorgate to SloMo are microcosms of the real problem. Our athletic department. Incompetence does not explain 1/1000th of the problems.

RougeDawg
10-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Honestly if Cohen said anything else he might as well just go ahead and fire him.

But I do agree with you. Cohen is not going to fire him if he keeps winning the games he should and not after the suspensions that have happened.

And as I've said before Cohen really shouldn't fire anyone after two years considering his first two as baseball coach. Which actually should be taken as a lesson for some of our posters on here.

Todd you make some good points but most are forgetting the situations each head coach came into. Dan came into a talent poor program, adapted his offense to what he had, and was one reviewed play from a 6-6 season. SloMo came into a talent rich team full of future NFL difference makers. He came in and tried to force his offense on his players. Wasted the best defense we have probably ever had.

When you compare the realities of the program when each was hired, you can easily see why so many think joe is not the answer. He was not willing to adjust his scheme to the players he had at the time, to win immediately. Wasted the best defense in the country and still looks incompetent against competent competition. The data and results are on a straight line trajectory with no outliers to garner hope. You can only base decisions off of data points and starting reference point. The trend line is not pointing into the positive direction. Nothing says that as of this moment. Most rational people see this and that?s why you see the posts here. Until the data points change the trajectory into a positive direction, why would anyone?s sentiment do the same?

trojandawg
10-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Pretty sure Moorhead has mentioned staying home and doing things with his family in off times or in the by week. It?s not unusual for coaches to do this. Many of the kids go home for the weekend. This is like getting all over for one president playing golf and not mentioning the other one plays or played just as much.

Maroonthirteen
10-01-2019, 10:32 AM
It?s ridiculous. So what he went to the lake for two days.

Bottom line on Mullen, the relationship had became the equivalent of a bad marriage in which the wife wants out. The man (university) can do a million nice things ... but at the end of the day. His mind was made up and he wanted to go and it was best for all involved to move on.

Regardless how he views Mississippi State, We had him 9years. That?s a long time for a coach to stay somewhere now a Days.

With all that said, I hope Auburn kicks his teeth in next week because they tko us.

Maroonthirteen
10-01-2019, 10:39 AM

There is a 2020 DT at collierville that I wish we would offer. But I think that ship has sailed to Louisville.

Bigedawg
10-01-2019, 10:52 AM
The sad part is that it WILL happen again at least 3 more times this season, possibly 4. I didn't agree with many things Mullen did and he produced many games just like Saturday. With that being said, I can never remember in 9 years Dan getting a delay of game on the first play of the game(not sure I've ever seen that on any level). I don't remember Dan having to call timeouts in multiple games (I believe every game so far this season) coming out of clock stoppages due to not having the proper personnel on the field or being late getting the play into the offense. This is not even to mention that we look like the most physically weak team that I can ever remember getting off of the bus and on the field. We have captains getting stupid targeting penalties and a safety that hits a guy 3 yards out of bounds(probably frustrated because every team picks on him in the passing game) and jaw jacks while his coach doesn't even remove him from the game. I hope some of these items are a result of a green coach going through growing pains, but I am afraid these are signs of program's culture turning rotten before our eyes. Oh, and back to getting off the bus....how about having your team look like they mean business rather than just rolling out of bed in their pajamas. Where's the tylenol?!

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 10:54 AM
It?s ridiculous. So what he went to the lake for two days.

Bottom line on Mullen, the relationship had became the equivalent of a bad marriage in which the wife wants out. The man (university) can do a million nice things ... but at the end of the day. His mind was made up and he wanted to go and it was best for all involved to move on.

Regardless how he views Mississippi State, We had him 9years. That?s a long time for a coach to stay somewhere now a Days.

With all that said, I hope Auburn kicks his teeth in next week because they tko us.

I think we honestly tricked ourselves into thinking Mullen was something he wasn't. We all knew that we were supposed to be a stepping stone for him but we paid too well for him to just go anywhere. His agent screwed up his 2014 and 2015 job search so he got a new agent. It isn't like Mullen would have ever said anything but what he did (Starkville is home, why would I want to go anywhere else, etc....). Coaches have to play the game. Saban famously said he loved Miami and Was Not Going to Bama. A week later he is at Bama.

All that said, the way he left pissed me off. Basically walking out on the players was a shitty thing to do especially with Fitz injured like he was. He didn't even thank MSU until a week or so later when he was getting heat from it. On the flip side, Grantham thanked MSU pretty much as soon as he decided to take the UF job.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 10:57 AM
The sad part is that it WILL happen again at least 3 more times this season, possibly 4. I didn't agree with many things Mullen did and he produced many games just like Saturday. With that being said, I can never remember in 9 years Dan getting a delay of game on the first play of the game(not sure I've ever seen that on any level). I don't remember Dan having to call timeouts in multiple games (I believe every game so far this season) coming out of clock stoppages due to not having the proper personnel on the field or being late getting the play into the offense. This is not even to mention that we look like the most physically weak team that I can ever remember getting off of the bus and on the field. We have captains getting stupid targeting penalties and a safety that hits a guy 3 yards out of bounds(probably frustrated because every team picks on him in the passing game) and jaw jacks while his coach doesn't even remove him from the game. I hope some of these items are a result of a green coach going through growing pains, but I am afraid these are signs of program's culture turning rotten before our eyes. Oh, and back to getting off the bus....how about having your team look like they mean business rather than just rolling out of bed in their pajamas. Where's the tylenol?!

I have defended Moorhead more than most on here but I agree with EVERYTHING in this post. This shit is getting old. I will also comment that I dislike the team in sweats. I like when the players are dressed for business but that is just a personal preference. I think it sets a good mindset.

HancockCountyDog
10-01-2019, 10:58 AM
Everybody, including Mullen, knew Simmons was gone his Jr yr. He didn?t do a damn thing to replace him. Mullen left us with crap at a lot of spots because he basically left with Dak.

Yeah that 2018 team was crap. NFL RB, NFL OL, NFL DL, NFL LB, and NFL secondary.

Throw in a QB that if used correctly was dangerous.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 11:01 AM
Yeah that 2018 team was crap. NFL RB, NFL OL, NFL DL, NFL LB, and NFL secondary.

Mullen had that year set up as a 10-11 win chance and then this year would have dropped back to 6-8 wins. This year's defense was going to struggle just because of the personnel.

HancockCountyDog
10-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Mullen had that year set up as a 10-11 win chance and then this year would have dropped back to 6-8 wins. This year's defense was going to struggle just because of the personnel.

That may be true - but my guess is that KT would be running a down hill rushing attack with our big OL and really causing some problems. Look, Dan proved that at MSU you can score points running the Dak/Relf/Fitz offense. Its a different type of ground and pound, but it worked. Last year, if Joe didn't start running that offense, we win 6 games with an extremely talented defense.

To be fair now, I don't think Joe's offense works without the QB running.

I think the defense was obviously going to take a step back, but the concern is that the offense is not taking advantage of an experienced OL, an NFL RB and an improved set of WR's. We should be moving the ball, but getting away from running with the QB is making our offense less efficient. 3rd and 2 used to be almost an automatic first down when we were rolling. Now, I have to worry about a curl or a crossing route. Just not what I think we should be doing.

Dawg2003
10-01-2019, 11:08 AM
The truth is that Joe is using us as a stepping stone just like Dan. Joe will be as loyal as his options. He's no different than Dan in that regard.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 11:11 AM
The truth is that Joe is using us as a stepping stone just like Dan. Joe will be as loyal as his options. He's no different than Dan in that regard.

Basically any coach not born and raised in Mississippi would be the same. I'd welcome being a stepping stone to blue bloods if it meant we kept a steady stream of promising young coaches

CadaverDawg
10-01-2019, 11:26 AM

Little does he know, His stepping stones lead to Hofstra instead of Florida

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 11:29 AM
Basically any coach not born and raised in Mississippi would be the same. I'd welcome being a stepping stone to blue bloods if it meant we kept a steady stream of promising young coaches

And as long as we are going bowling and working in an Orange-Sugar type bowl every 6 or so years with our average being around Music City/Gator Bowl. That is how you build the brand which is what Mullen did for us. Eventually you keep a coach like Mullen and they decide to stay.

I wouldn't have minded Mullen leaving if his job shopping every year didn't affect us in the Egg Bowl and recruiting. That was what made me mad. I expected him to leave every year but sleep walking against UM was not acceptable.

MedDawg
10-01-2019, 11:30 AM
Little does he know, His stepping stones lead to Hofstra instead of Florida

Now that was pretty funny.

Brahmabull
10-01-2019, 11:55 AM

This!!!! I don't give a damn what Mullen did or didn't do good or bad. It's in the past. I do care about what I see on the field now. If you can't see the culture change that has occurred, then you are blind.

Cooterpoot
10-01-2019, 11:56 AM

And he was forced to load up on jucos to survive and get out. I?ve covered that about 50 17ing times. He had a motherload of P5 transfers fall in his lap. Now, because of that, we?re back to a Juco heavy class in two years. It?s a bad cycle to get in. Name the top programs building their teams from jucos. It?s a bad recipe to go Juco heavy because it screws you down the road.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2019, 12:01 PM
And he was forced to load up on jucos to survive and get out. I?ve covered that about 50 17ing times. He had a motherload of P5 transfers fall in his lap. Now, because of that, we?re back to a Juco heavy class in two years. It?s a bad cycle to get in. Name the top programs building their teams from jucos. It?s a bad recipe to go Juco heavy because it screws you down the road.

Dan brought in some good talent. His problem in recruiting was the unbalanced classes, holes in the roster in certain position groups consistently and not recruiting enough speed on offense.

Cooterpoot
10-01-2019, 12:05 PM
Dan brought in some good talent. His problem in recruiting was the unbalanced classes, holes in the roster in certain position groups consistently and not recruiting enough speed on offense.

Exactly. He had 5 win season and had to fill gaps so he’d look good for a job. He jump and left us one year of talent with holes everywhere behind it.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 12:05 PM
I wonder what programs outside the top 15 (maybe less) don't have holes in the roster.

msbulldog
10-01-2019, 12:27 PM
Where does one even listen to the Boneyard anymore? Thought that app was shut down.

Free content on 247.

NCDawg
10-01-2019, 01:40 PM
Say what you will about Moorhead, he's a good sport. Instead of going to the locker room and talking to our team after Auburn handed our butts to us, I saw him going around congratulating Nix and Auburn players about what a great game they played.