PDA

View Full Version : USA Today (opinion piece) not a fan of cowboys last night

msstate7
09-30-2019, 01:51 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2019/09/30/cowboys-saints-super-bowl-message/3816882002/

Doggie_Style
09-30-2019, 02:02 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/bell/2019/09/30/cowboys-saints-super-bowl-message/3816882002/

Such a strange game. When Dallas did get a 1st down they tried to run on 1st almost every time for almost no gain. Fumbles, dropped passes and a couple bad throws by Dak and time runs out.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 02:13 PM
I don't consider that an embarrassing loss geez at the hyperbole. That was 2 really sound defensive teams slugging it out, just like the game last year that the Cowboys won.. The home team in this rivalry definitely has a big advantage. The Dallas playcalling was odd last night(I had a feeling Jason Garrett meddled in this), cause Moore has been very aggressive this year until last night. No zone reads on short yardage or in the red zone, conservative passes and play calling. Cowboys may or may not be in the super bowl but you can't judge that from last nights game.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 02:23 PM
The Cowboys also shot themselves in the foot at the worst possible times. Zeke's fumble, Whitten's fumble, Cooper's two Offensive pass Interferences, along with drive killing penalties. The playcalling was off also. That sack at the end of the game just summed it up. The RG and RT are doubling the guy and the Saints twist so both of them end up blocking air as the DE runs straight up the gut untouched. It was like whatever could be the worst possible thing to happen at that instance was what happened.

Cooterpoot
09-30-2019, 03:47 PM
Clappy Clown went right back to last years offense. He’s a damn idiot.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 03:48 PM
Clappy Clown went right back to last years offense. He’s a damn idiot.

Yes he did. Pathetic to see the difference in the offense the first 3 games and then last night.

Lord McBuckethead
09-30-2019, 04:04 PM
It wasn't a beat down, but neither team looked ready to put points on the board. The play calling was terrible on the Dallas side. They tried to get too cute most times. When they did do something well, they immediately shot themselves in the foot.

Line them up tomorrow and it may be 35-38 game.

Poor Dak looked like he was running for his life. The OL looked rough all night because of the DL NO was being bad ass.

Dawgowar
**** Garrett

msstate7
https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article235614277.html

Star telegram not a fan either.. mostly of zeke

msstate7
09-30-2019, 04:06 PM
It wasn't a beat down, but neither team looked ready to put points on the board. The play calling was terrible on the Dallas side. They tried to get too cute most times. When they did do something well, they immediately shot themselves in the foot.

Line them up tomorrow and it may be 35-38 game.

Poor Dak looked like he was running for his life. The OL looked rough all night because of the DL NO was being bad ass.

Not sure why you think it would be high scoring. Last 2 matchups...

Dallas 13
NO 10

NO 12
Dallas 10

Pretty remarkable they played such similar games

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 04:06 PM
**** Garrett

+1.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 04:07 PM
Not sure why you think it would be high scoring. Last 2 matchups...

Dallas 13
NO 10

NO 12
Dallas 10

Pretty remarkable they played such similar games

Being honest I liked the old school feel of these Cowboys/Saints games. These defenses were slobber knocking folks.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 04:08 PM
+1.

So is Lincoln Riley the coach next year? Garrett is on the last year of his deal and that has been a pretty hot rumor.

KOdawg1
09-30-2019, 04:09 PM
Play calling was atrocious. Very few shots down the field, no creativity in the run game, very vanilla and bland. Looked like Dan Mullen vs. Alabama in 2014. Dak missed a couple of throws, but there bigger issues were the fumbles by Witten and Zeke plus Cooper being a non-factor. Cobb also had a huge drop.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 04:10 PM
So is Lincoln Riley the coach next year? Garrett is on the last year of his deal and that has been a pretty hot rumor.

Man that would be a big upgrade in my opinion. There so much body of work to look at with Garrett and pretty easy to see he ain't an elite coach

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 04:13 PM
Play calling was atrocious. Very few shots down the field, no creativity in the run game, very vanilla and bland. Looked like Dan Mullen vs. Alabama in 2014. Dak missed a couple of throws, but there bigger issues were the fumbles by Witten and Zeke plus Cooper being a non-factor. Cobb also had a huge drop.

Not only was he kind of a non factor but those two Offensive PI calls were big, almost as bad as the fumbles.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 04:15 PM
Can you imagine Dak in a wide open Lincoln Riley offense? Geez

msstate7
09-30-2019, 04:16 PM
Not only was he kind of a non factor but those two Offensive PI calls were big, almost as bad as the fumbles.

In cooper's defense, when lattimore wants to be, he's as good as anyone. Problem is, he doesn't wanna be enough

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 04:20 PM
In cooper's defense, when lattimore wants to be, he's as good as anyone. Problem is, he doesn't wanna be enough

He is a great cover corner but those PI calls were iffy at best. Lattimore had him locked up but when he kind of fought back they threw a flag. It was physical but it was both ways. You shouldn't throw a flag on one and not the other.

Edited to add: Chris Collingsworth even said there wasn't much there. You didn't see the normal shove off which you normally see with offensive PI. No bending of the elbow and shove, Cooper just had him at arms length because Lattimore was trying to lock him up. I will say that Dallas was doing the same on the other side of the ball and they weren't calling that either on the defense.

BeardoMSU
09-30-2019, 05:00 PM
**** Garrett

Seconded.

Last night was a great defensive game, similar to last year, this time the Saints coming out on top.

That being said, Dallas' play-calling was abysmally vanilla. Where was the creativity? Hardly any play action,and I don't recall a single bootleg from Dak, let alone a zone read or designed run. Coupling that with the WR corps inability to consistently get open, Dak was in for a long night.

R2Dawg
09-30-2019, 06:15 PM
Cowboys OL got whipped a bunch. Dak played pretty well considering. Run/Pass playcalling wasn't great. The two fumbles basically cost them the game.

Bdawg
09-30-2019, 11:05 PM
Seconded.

Last night was a great defensive game, similar to last year, this time the Saints coming out on top.

That being said, Dallas' play-calling was abysmally vanilla. Where was the creativity? Hardly any play action,and I don't recall a single bootleg from Dak, let alone a zone read or designed run. Coupling that with the WR corps inability to consistently get open, Dak was in for a long night.

Yeah don't understand the no play action, especially since, I believe, I saw a stat that Dak is absolutely on fire when it comes to play action passes.

RougeDawg
10-01-2019, 10:31 AM
Saw a stat after the game where Dallas had run 66% of the pass plays from play action before Sunday. Sunday, only around 22% of their pass plays were play action. This was the biggest difference I noticed during the game, because the saints could jump the run if they saw a handoff coming and stuffed Zeke. They had a good chance of being correct by biting on it because Dallas didn?t make them pay or think it might be play action. The opening drive of the 3rd quarter looked like the Dallas offense the first three weeks. And then they went away from it, similar to another coach people like to bitch about here. Myself included.

Cooterpoot
10-01-2019, 10:45 AM
They went with last year’s game plan. Clappy decided to go back to the same game plan. The Saints were prepared for it. Clappy is an idiot that needs to stay out of the offense.

Percho
10-01-2019, 10:49 AM
And to top it off with 447 to go in the game the boys were passive on D and gave up first downs in the run game. Not enough people on the line of scrimmage to stop the run, Esp wide runs.

Had to use their to's and got the ball back late.

Commercecomet24
10-01-2019, 11:34 AM
All these things are the reason Jason Garrett needs to go. He's always gonna get out coached in big games. The players bail him out sometimes but he's just not an elite coach