Yds/play: 33rd/55th
Scoring: 68th/70th

Total defense: 1st/77th
Yds/play: 1st/103rd
Scoring: 2nd/80th

Basically the same offense with a much, much worse defense

tcdog70
09-30-2019, 11:23 AM
Wait-now that no-passing Fitz is gone, isn't our offense supposed to blow people away? you know all those explosive plays. Forgetting that Fitz ran for 195 yards against basically the same Auburn defense.

msudawglb
09-30-2019, 11:32 AM
Wait-now that no-passing Fitz is gone, isn't our offense supposed to blow people away? you know all those explosive plays. Forgetting that Fitz ran for 195 yards against basically the same Auburn defense.

Come on man, we had our starter for basically 1 game and have played a true freshman the rest of the time. So yes, we are saying that a true freshman has our offense ranked higher than Fitz had the offense ranked.

tcdog70
10-01-2019, 09:14 AM
Come on man, we had our starter for basically 1 game and have played a true freshman the rest of the time. So yes, we are saying that a true freshman has our offense ranked higher than Fitz had the offense ranked.

no he does't--show me the stats that say that.

Gutter Cobreh
10-01-2019, 09:29 AM

Too much truth here! It just goes to show that stats can show whatever narrative that you're trying to create.

7 uses the stats to show that Moorhead isn't innovative and his offense sucks, while others see those stats and notice that a true freshman is outperforming our 5th year senior last year.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 09:41 AM
You also have stats like:

PPG - 2019 - 30.2 2018 - 28.5 2017 - 32.0 2016 - 30.4

Total offense yards per play 2019 - 6.05 2018 - 6.17 2017 - 5.51 2016 - 6.07

Defense PPG 2019 -28.6 2018 - 13.2 2017 - 20.9 2016 - 31.8

Defense giving up yards per play 2019 - 6.21 2018 - 4.13 2017 - 5.23 2016 - 6.24

Of course we have only played 2 SEC games and we have no clue how good KSU will end up being which can skew how you feel about the overall stats at the end of the day.

Edited to add: We have still yet to play some great teams so all this really says to me is our defense is damn near Sirmon bad.

MedDawg
10-01-2019, 09:43 AM
no he does't--show me the stats that say that.

Shrader 2019: 40 for 68, 58.8%, 511 yards, 7.5 yards/att, 2 TD, 1 int, rating 128.7, QBR 78.8
Rushing 46 for 312 yards, 6.8 per rush

Fitz 2018: 145 for 281, 51.6%, 1767 yards, 6.3 yards per att, 16 TD, 9 int, rating 116.8, QBR 58.0
Rushing 221 for 1,121 yards, 5.1 yards per rush

Irondawg
10-01-2019, 09:49 AM
does last year's also count the Stephen F Austin Game or do they throw out FCS games.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Shrader 2019: 40 for 68, 58.8%, 511 yards, 7.5 yards/att, 2 TD, 1 int, rating 157.3

Fitz 2018: 145 for 281, 51.6%, 1767 yards, 6.3 yards per att, 16 TD, 9 int, rating 116.8

Shrader has looked pretty good against a great AU defense but I am interested to see what we look like against LSU and Bama when he is the starter from the get go. Tommy was definitely not ready for AU on the road. Is it any different if Shrader goes out there with the scoreboard 0-0?

I do think for Joe's offense that Shrader as a true freshman is better than Fitz last year since he wasn't able to get live reps until August.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 09:50 AM
You also have stats like:

PPG - 2019 - 30.2 2018 - 28.5 2017 - 32.0 2016 - 30.4

Total offense yards per play 2019 - 6.05 2018 - 6.17 2017 - 5.51 2016 - 6.07

Defense PPG 2019 -28.6 2018 - 13.2 2017 - 20.9 2016 - 31.8

Defense giving up yards per play 2019 - 6.21 2018 - 4.13 2017 - 5.23 2016 - 6.24

Of course we have only played 2 SEC games and we have no clue how good KSU will end up being which can skew how you feel about the overall stats at the end of the day.

Edited to add: We have still yet to play some great teams so all this really says to me is our defense is damn near Sirmon bad.

KSU gave up 526 yards (7.62 per play) to ok state; they gave up 352 yards (4.96 per play) to us

msstate7
10-01-2019, 09:51 AM
does last year's also count the Stephen F Austin Game or do they throw out FCS games.

Included, so we won't get the full picture till end of the season. Just gonna check in every few games or so

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 09:54 AM
KSU gave up 526 yards (7.62 per play) to ok state; they gave up 352 yards (4.96 per play) to us

OK State has been a top 10 offense for several years and I think they were honoring Boone Pickens who had just passed away. Not exactly apples to apples. That is why I don't think a snapshot is great comparison tool. Although I will say that the defensive trend isn't looking good.

Scared_Hitless
10-01-2019, 09:56 AM
True is the detractors coming into the season have been proven correct. We have regressed to a point of ineptitude on defense while not taking the leap offensively. Both items have reasons, but in general we can agree the QB situation and lack of skill talent on offense is still an issue. Our all world camp receivers are still average at best. Osiris gets a pass he has shown real improvement, and we like him and Garret going forward. OLine has been good to average, they have not been a strength but also not a weakness. Hill great runner and receiver interested to see his paperwork from the draft he may not yet be gone.

On Defense we have regressed significantly at all 3 levels. I attribute the secondary to talent, Morgan is very average and Cole is no Abram. We miss Mclaurin and Abram way more than anticipated. Time to let some others have some PT and see what they offer. At LB losing Willie Gay is a killer, Leo is not an SEC athlete which based on recruiting sucks as he seemed like a top flight guy. Errol is a thumper, but he has blockers getting to the second level due to our weak DL and he has been ineffective for the most part. DL where to start we are young but we also suck. Every player on this unit has regressed and I think Deke Adams needs a look at season's end for replacement. I understand Jeff and Montez were all world guys, but it is inexcusable what has happened to Chauncey, Kobe, and Spencer they look worse than last year by a mile.

Overall we need to look into replacements for S&C, Special Teams, and DL Coaches. Deke more for his track record of never being good at any stop and our guys regressing. Joey Jones because we have sucked on Special Teams for two straight years. Bichey because we look worse in every way physically compared to last year. His job is the most important in the program and we hired from within. It looks to have been a mistake. You build toughness in the summer and we are soft as Charmin. All those fun themed days have not equated to the type of team we need to compete. Also JoMo take this team back to the damn farm only guy showing real grit and will is our Freshman QB and he deserves better.

So sadly I agree with Mstate7 and Coach34 at this point. We need some shakeup and Moorhead is running out of time with the fan base. Tho I am still onboard.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 10:03 AM
True is the detractors coming into the season have been proven correct. We have regressed to a point of ineptitude on defense while not taking the leap offensively. Both items have reasons, but in general we can agree the QB situation and lack of skill talent on offense is still an issue. Our all world camp receivers are still average at best. Osiris gets a pass he has shown real improvement, and we like him and Garret going forward. OLine has been good to average, they have not been a strength but also not a weakness. Hill great runner and receiver interested to see his paperwork from the draft he may not yet be gone.

On Defense we have regressed significantly at all 3 levels. I attribute the secondary to talent, Morgan is very average and Cole is no Abram. We miss Mclaurin and Abram way more than anticipated. Time to let some others have some PT and see what they offer. At LB losing Willie Gay is a killer, Leo is not an SEC athlete which based on recruiting sucks as he seemed like a top flight guy. Errol is a thumper, but he has blockers getting to the second level due to our weak DL and he has been ineffective for the most part. DL where to start we are young but we also suck. Every player on this unit has regressed and I think Deke Adams needs a look at season's end for replacement. I understand Jeff and Montez were all world guys, but it is inexcusable what has happened to Chauncey, Kobe, and Spencer they look worse than last year by a mile.

Overall we need to look into replacements for S&C, Special Teams, and DL Coaches. Deke more for his track record of never being good at any stop and our guys regressing. Joey Jones because we have sucked on Special Teams for two straight years. Bichey because we look worse in every way physically compared to last year. His job is the most important in the program and we hired from within. It looks to have been a mistake. You build toughness in the summer and we are soft as Charmin. All those fun themed days have not equated to the type of team we need to compete. Also JoMo take this team back to the damn farm only guy showing real grit and will is our Freshman QB and he deserves better.

So sadly I agree with Mstate7 and Coach34 at this point. We need some shakeup and Moorhead is running out of time with the fan base. Tho I am still onboard.

I told my wife during the Auburn game, you can't fire Moorhead during the season unless some horrible happens but I would fire Joey Jones and the S&C coach at halftime. Let them find their own ride home. We look so much worse as far as S&C is concerned and like you said, we don't seem to know what the hell we are doing on Special Teams. It says something that Tucker Day is actually better without coaching than with it.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 10:05 AM

Moorhead isn't done, yet. He needs to beat tenn, ark, and om; I say forget the rest. If he can get to 7 wins while showing offensive improvement with shrader and finish strong recruiting, he still has a chance to unite the fanbase behind him. He CANNOT get beat by tenn, ark, or om, get blasted by LSU and Bama at home, and limp to the signing day deadline though.., he'd never get the fanbase behind him again if that happens

MedDawg
10-01-2019, 10:08 AM
Shrader 2019: 40 for 68, 58.8%, 511 yards, 7.5 yards/att, 2 TD, 1 int, rating 128.7, QBR 78.8
Rushing 46 for 312 yards, 6.8 per rush

Fitz 2018: 145 for 281, 51.6%, 1767 yards, 6.3 yards per att, 16 TD, 9 int, rating 116.8, QBR 58.0
Rushing 221 for 1,121 yards, 5.1 yards per rush

Senior Fitz vs Auburn 2018 at home:
9 for 17, 69 yards, 0 TD, 1 int; 195 yards rushing, 2 TDs, QBR 48.9

True Freshman Shrader at Auburn 2019:
12 for 23, 209 yards, 2 TD, 0 int; 89 yards rushing, 1 TD, QBR 83

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 10:08 AM
Moorhead isn't done, yet. He needs to beat tenn, ark, and om; I say forget the rest. If he can get to 7 wins while showing offensive improvement with shrader and finish strong recruiting, he still has a chance to unite the fanbase behind him. He CANNOT get beat by tenn, ark, or om, get blasted by LSU and Bama at home, and limp to the signing day deadline though.., he'd never get the fanbase behind him again if that happens

I will add that he also can't have any Flipmas bullshit happen. That was always a kick in the balls after the bowl game.

MedDawg
10-01-2019, 10:13 AM

I don't think he will lose the fanbase if we get blasted by LSU and Bama at home, they are top 5 teams. However, he does need to beat UT, Ark, and OM.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 10:15 AM
Senior Fitz vs Auburn 2018 at home:
9 for 17, 69 yards, 0 TD, 1 int; 195 yards rushing, 2 TDs, QBR 48.9

True Freshman Shrader at Auburn 2019:
12 for 23, 209 yards, 2 TD, 0 int; 89 yards rushing, 1 TD, QBR 83

This is pretty dishonest. Shrader entered the game at 21-0. At no point did fitz face an auburn defense that was protecting a 21 point lead. It was 42-9 at the half for God's sake. Now I do love shrader, and I think he will be very good. Comparing the 2 here though is strange considering the context of the games

ETA... I think shrader will be better than fitz as a complete qb though

Dawgology
I will add that he also can't have any Flipmas bullshit happen. That was always a kick in the balls after the bowl game.

It happens every year and it will this year as well. We get out maneuvered in almost every way in recruiting. Now we are getting outcoached on the field of play which used to be what made up for our lousy recruiting plan.

msstate7
I don't think he will lose the fanbase if we get blasted by LSU and Bama at home, they are top 5 teams. However, he does need to beat UT, Ark, and OM.

Right, i said he can't lose one of those 3 and get blasted by LSU and Bama.

Scared_Hitless
10-01-2019, 10:21 AM

I agree with the sentiment, but I also think the fan base expects to win those games based on how those team's have looked. With our D those games have moved to the toss-up category for me. Shrader is the type of kid our fan base can get behind, but he has the rest of the season to save his coach. I agree with all other points, get this class locked in and lets see what next year holds after a bowl game. Point stands on the 3 coaches that need evaluation. If JoMo wants to win at this level he will need to be ruthless and trim the fat on his coaching staff.

MedDawg
10-01-2019, 10:23 AM
This is pretty dishonest. Shrader entered the game at 21-0. At no point did fitz face an auburn defense that was protecting a 21 point lead. It was 42-9 at the half for God's sake. Now I do love shrader, and I think he will be very good. Comparing the 2 here though is strange considering the context of the games

I agree it doesn't mean much, and I was about to edit my post to say that. But it is a little interesting.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 10:25 AM
I agree it doesn't mean much, and I was about to edit my post to say that. But it is a little interesting.

Regardless of the situation at auburn, him following up the Kentucky game with another impressive performance is VERY encouraging. I wanna roll with this kid the rest of the year, and see how much he can improve

BrunswickDawg
10-01-2019, 10:40 AM

Then is 2017 at AU any better of a comparison?

13 of 33 for 157, 1 TD and 2 INT, 77.2 QBR
13 rushes for 56 yards

AU was up 21-3 in that game 13:36 in the 2nd qrt., so Fitz was playing about 2/3 of the game against a team protecting a 18 point lead.

In all honesty though - we really should not be making any of these comparisons. Its not good for the board, the fan base, or the team. All it is is about BS dick measuring contests.

The simple fact is we aren't good right now. Moorhead needs to get things fixed during the bye week so we beat UT, can make a run at A&M, and handle business in the winnable games. Then based on how this season turns out, we go to the next step.

ETA: My intent here isn't to bash Fitz either.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 11:11 AM
Then is 2017 at AU any better of a comparison?

13 of 33 for 157, 1 TD and 2 INT, 77.2 QBR
13 rushes for 56 yards

AU was up 21-3 in that game 13:36 in the 2nd qrt., so Fitz was playing about 2/3 of the game against a team protecting a 18 point lead.

In all honesty though - we really should not be making any of these comparisons. Its not good for the board, the fan base, or the team. All it is is about BS dick measuring contests.

The simple fact is we aren't good right now. Moorhead needs to get things fixed during the bye week so we beat UT, can make a run at A&M, and handle business in the winnable games. Then based on how this season turns out, we go to the next step.

Moorhead's set cools off a lot if he somehow makes LSU and Bama competitive. Mullen was able to beat a LSU team (not as good as this year but still won pretty big) and have a lead on Bama in the 4th quarter. That goes a long way in helping to forget how shittastic we looked against UGA and AU that year. Moorhead has won AU and A&M last year but for the most part we have looked horrible against good teams.

Scared_Hitless
10-01-2019, 11:16 AM
Moorhead's set cools off a lot if he somehow makes LSU and Bama competitive. Mullen was able to beat a LSU team (not as good as this year but still won pretty big) and have a lead on Bama in the 4th quarter. That goes a long way in helping to forget how shittastic we looked against UGA and AU that year. Moorhead has won AU and A&M last year but for the most part we have looked horrible against good teams.

Define competitive because I think we score more points on LSU than Auburn, but I also believe unless we have a huge leap they may hang 60.

BrunswickDawg
10-01-2019, 11:18 AM
Define competitive because I think we score more points on LSU than Auburn, but I also believe unless we have a huge leap they may hang 60.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a repeat of the LSU/A&M game. I'm not counting on it, but it wouldn't shock me.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 11:24 AM

Not look like you just heard of the sport football in the first quarter. LSU is probably going to score a TD every time they don't turn the ball over but I hope we can at least move the ball and score a few points. Anything the defense does outside of shitting the bed is a positive in that game.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 11:30 AM
Not look like you just heard of the sport football in the first quarter. LSU is probably going to score a TD every time they don't turn the ball over but I hope we can at least move the ball and score a few points. Anything the defense does outside of shitting the bed is a positive in that game.

Yeah, unless burrow is off, we may not get a stop all night. Auburn is no where close to LSU offensively imo

Jarius
10-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Anyone who thinks Fitz was not a severe problem to our passing ability last year is just arguing to argue.

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Yeah, unless burrow is off, we may not get a stop all night. Auburn is no where close to LSU offensively imo

We have to roll the dice in that game and throw the kitchen sink at them. LSU is too good offensively for our shitastic defense to do more than slow down like a speed bump. We might as well blitz our ass off and hope we cause fumbles or Ints.

Really Clark?
10-01-2019, 12:53 PM
Anyone who thinks Fitz was not a severe problem to our passing ability last year is just arguing to argue.

Fitz with league average WR completes around 60% of his passes last season. He was a problem but the whole passing unit was at fault. And the WR unit was a major cluster the first third to half of the season last year as well when you add routes, alignment etc. We still having issues with drops but it’s better. Fitz was an issue, no doubt, but not the only issue or the majority. It was the whole passing unit

Tbonewannabe
10-01-2019, 01:21 PM
Fitz with league average WR completes around 60% of his passes last season. He was a problem but the whole passing unit was at fault. And the WR unit was a major cluster the first third to half of the season last year as well when you add routes, alignment etc. We still having issues with drops but it’s better. Fitz was an issue, no doubt, but not the only issue or the majority. It was the whole passing unit

Fitz's biggest issue was not taking a live snap in the offense until August and then missed his warm up game because of suspension. He was pretty bad in a few games but when he had a little more time to process the offense, he was pretty decent.

Jarius
10-01-2019, 01:34 PM

Fitz was the overwhelming issue. The same receivers are fine this year. Fitz racked up on stats against terrible teams to make his numbers look better but when he played any defense with a pulse he spazzed out throwing the football. He was a great runner and fit Mullen's offense perfectly. He can't throw the football though. His play on the road last year against a defense the quality of this year's Auburn squad were just abysmal. Our atrocious defense this year does not make Fitz a better passer from last year. We are going to score 20-30 points per game this year against the best defenses on our schedule and that is due to much better quarterback play. We are also going to give up 50-60 (or more if they want to run it up), so we simply traded one problem for another bigger problem.

Really Clark?
10-01-2019, 01:43 PM
Fitz was the overwhelming issue. The same receivers are fine this year. Fitz racked up on stats against terrible teams to make his numbers look better but when he played any defense with a pulse he spazzed out throwing the football. He was a great runner and fit Mullen's offense perfectly. He can't throw the football though. His play on the road last year against a defense the quality of this year's Auburn squad were just abysmal. Our atrocious defense this year does not make Fitz a better passer from last year. We are going to score 20-30 points per game this year against the best defenses on our schedule and that is due to much better quarterback play. We are also going to give up 50-60 (or more if they want to run it up), so we simply traded one problem for another bigger problem.

Our WR are better this year but still have some of the same drop issues, especially Guidry. That doesn’t have anything to do with how bad they were last year. Last in the league in drops

Really Clark?
10-01-2019, 01:45 PM
Fitz's biggest issue was not taking a live snap in the offense until August and then missed his warm up game because of suspension. He was pretty bad in a few games but when he had a little more time to process the offense, he was pretty decent.

I agree that Fitz had some rust issues. And the WR got a little better later in the year, for the most part. Early there were a lot of problems with our passing game. And drops plagued us a lot as well.

Jarius
10-01-2019, 01:47 PM
Our WR are better this year but still have some of the same drop issues, especially Guidry. That doesn’t have anything to do with how bad they were last year. Last in the league in drops

They are dropping the ball less this year because the quarterback actually knows how to put a little bit of touch on the throws. The passing game got better later last year because we played a lot of awful teams in the back half of the schedule, minus LSU and Bama.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 01:53 PM
They are dropping the ball less this year because the quarterback actually knows how to put a little bit of touch on the throws. The passing game got better later last year because we played a lot of awful teams in the back half of the schedule, minus LSU and Bama.

"Bo Nix scares me less than literally any other quarterback we will play this year. They will run it down our throat because they have zero chance of being effective throwing the ball with him. He is not good." - you

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?76695-Auburn-Facing-5-Sr-OL-Again&p=1155666

Maybe we should take your QB evaluations with a grain of salt

Really Clark?
10-01-2019, 01:56 PM
They are dropping the ball less this year because the quarterback actually knows how to put a little bit of touch on the throws.

We still have too many drops. Whether it’s been Fitz, Stevens or Shrader. They are better this year because they have worked to get better. Guidry is still about the same and Zuber has dropped easy passes as well, even though he wasn’t here last season so the Fitz excuses doesn’t hold. Again, I didn’t say Fitz wasn’t a problem, but the numbers show that if our WR were league average last season or just 9th in the league we complete close 60% of the passes. After LSU, things were a little better but for the most part it was against weaker defenses. It would not have been a good passing attack but at least serviceable with the whole unit just being league average to a little below. It wasn’t just one person. I can make a case that the WR coach we have now has done a better job than last season being a part of that reason. But with a player or two we still have drop problems and Fitz is not here throwing the ball any more

Jarius
10-01-2019, 03:29 PM
"Bo Nix scares me less than literally any other quarterback we will play this year. They will run it down our throat because they have zero chance of being effective throwing the ball with him. He is not good." - you

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?76695-Auburn-Facing-5-Sr-OL-Again&p=1155666

Maybe we should take your QB evaluations with a grain of salt

Since you like to dig up old threads go find your opinion on Tennessee football and Pruitt from a few weeks back. We can all get a good kick out of your opinion of them. Bo Nix is not a good quarterback. He was throwing against air Saturday. I was wrong about how awful we would be defensively. I was not wrong about him being mediocre. Saturday told us much more about our defense than it did Bo Nix.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 03:31 PM
Since you like to dig up old threads go find your opinion on Tennessee football and Pruitt from a few weeks back. We can all get a good kick out of your opinion of them. Bo Nix is not a good quarterback. He was throwing against air Saturday. I was wrong about how awful we would be defensively. I was not wrong about him being mediocre. Saturday told us much more about our defense than it did Bo Nix.

I said tenn would be a toss up. I stand by that

Jarius
10-01-2019, 03:32 PM
Oh you said a lot more about Tennessee football than that. I don’t have the energy to go back and dig up the stupid shit you posted about them, but we both know you were completely off base.

msstate7
10-01-2019, 03:32 PM
Oh you said a lot more about Tennessee football than that.

Like what?

Homedawg
10-01-2019, 04:38 PM
Oh you said a lot more about Tennessee football than that. I don?t have the energy to go back and dig up the stupid shit you posted about them, but we both know you were completely off base.
I might have missed something but 7 basically said the same thing I did, which was, the game isn't a lock nor a gimme. That goes back before the season, then into the season etc. ... never saw him predict a loss, just that it would be a tough game......again, maybe I missed it, which is possible.

dawgday166
10-01-2019, 09:20 PM
We still have too many drops. Whether it?s been Fitz, Stevens or Shrader. They are better this year because they have worked to get better. Guidry is still about the same and Zuber has dropped easy passes as well, even though he wasn?t here last season so the Fitz excuses doesn?t hold. Again, I didn?t say Fitz wasn?t a problem, but the numbers show that if our WR were league average last season or just 9th in the league we complete close 60% of the passes. After LSU, things were a little better but for the most part it was against weaker defenses. It would not have been a good passing attack but at least serviceable with the whole unit just being league average to a little below. It wasn?t just one person. I can make a case that the WR coach we have now has done a better job than last season being a part of that reason. But with a player or two we still have drop problems and Fitz is not here throwing the ball any more

Mitchell is much, much better. Guidry is same ... just drops every damn thing over the middle. Deddrick Thomas should've been starting last year cause he was good then and year before. He got crapped on like Aeris did. He's starting now or playing most of snaps at least. Mitchell & Thomas are solid this year.

I will say one of Mitchell's drops last year in the FL game for an almost sure TD was a rocket with no touch ******* Just like the drop over the middle Guidry had on 3rd and 10 or so against KY that would've been a first down. ***** That damn Fitz! He should've been able to run out there and catch it for them too.

RezDog7
10-01-2019, 10:47 PM
It happens every year and it will this year as well. We get out maneuvered in almost every way in recruiting. Now we are getting outcoached on the field of play which used to be what made up for our lousy recruiting plan.

Except in the egg bowl while Mullen was interviewing for other jobs.