PDA

View Full Version : California signed the Fair Play act into law today.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2019, 09:46 AM
I'd say it's the beginning of the end for college sports. It doesn't take effect till 2023. What needs to happen is for the California schools to be put in notice that they will be expelled from the NCAA if they break NCAA rules. The NCAA is a voluntary organization. Follow the rules or get out. What will happen is the NCAA will cave and then anyone outside of the real blue bloods will never be able to compete.

Coursesuper
09-30-2019, 09:48 AM
You're right, this is the beginning of the end of college sports as they currently exist.

Coach007
09-30-2019, 09:55 AM
I'd say it's the beginning of the end for college sports. It doesn't take effect till 2023. What needs to happen is for the California schools to be put in notice that they will be expelled from the NCAA if they break NCAA rules. The NCAA is a voluntary organization. Follow the rules or get out. What will happen is the NCAA will cave and then anyone outside of the real blue bloods will never be able to compete.

More than just Ca is doing this. Last time I looked, there were 4 -5 states.

And yes.... it will create a wider divide. It will be all about the amount of money a player can get. They will bolt for where that is. This will force all states to take this path....eventually.

Irondawg
09-30-2019, 09:59 AM
Yep - this is the beginning of the end of the NCAA. Sad that it's come to this but the universities brought this on themselves when they started paying coaches millions of dollars.

sonofozarka
09-30-2019, 10:06 AM

The ESPN article says that the NCAA might not legally be able to ban Cali schools from competition because of antitrust laws? Seems like the 1st step in this is going to be a couple of years of lawsuits.

My main issue with the dumbasses like Lebron and the legislators that are advocating for it would be that they don't understand the potential unintended consequences.

Sure, it sounds fine if a player like Zion or Dak are able to get endorsements AFTER they've become stars (while still in college) and get $ for things like jersey sales.

But the thing they're not thinking about is that 17 year olds are going to go to the school that promises the most endorsement money, or signing bonus if they sign w/ a particular school. Are they going to allow endoresement "promises" or quid pro quo IF a player signs with a certain school?

Are athletic departments going to have to hire staff to deal with agents to try and find endorsements for players?

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2019, 10:15 AM
The ESPN article says that the NCAA might not legally be able to ban Cali schools from competition because of antitrust laws? Seems like the 1st step in this is going to be a couple of years of lawsuits.

My main issue with the dumbasses like Lebron and the legislators that are advocating for it would be that they don't understand the potential unintended consequences.

Sure, it sounds fine if a player like Zion or Dak are able to get endorsements AFTER they've become stars (while still in college) and get $ for things like jersey sales.

But the thing they're not thinking about is that 17 year olds are going to go to the school that promises the most endorsement money, or signing bonus if they sign w/ a particular school. Are they going to allow endoresement "promises" or quid pro quo IF a player signs with a certain school?

Are athletic departments going to have to hire staff to deal with agents to try and find endorsements for players?

Nobody is forcing the CALI schools to play in the NCAA. They are basically saying, we want to stay in your association but we are not going to follow the rules.

sonofozarka
09-30-2019, 10:23 AM
Nobody is forcing the CALI schools to play in the NCAA. They are basically saying, we want to stay in your association but we are not going to follow the rules.

But my understanding of the new law is that it will make it illegal for the NCAA to enforce or even have that rule. And that they won't be able to ban Cali schools from the NCAA

Thick
09-30-2019, 10:28 AM
Think what it will do to ticket prices.

LC Dawg
09-30-2019, 10:34 AM
Yep - this is the beginning of the end of the NCAA. Sad that it's come to this but the universities brought this on themselves when they started paying coaches millions of dollars.

Yep. The beginning was actually the giant tv contracts and the coaches salaries. Jimbo Fisher is guaranteed $75 million. This year's NCAA tournament teams split $220 million. Numbers like that won't be ignored.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 10:41 AM

This is a great post! There are boatload of issues here that they just aren't considering. I agree that you're gonna see lawsuits out the ying yang with this.

Maroonthirteen
09-30-2019, 10:43 AM

The NCAA could take that stance with the California schools but that would ensure their own death and the end of college athletics as we know it. Because the court of public opinion is all for this act and many other states are drafting laws now.

The NCAAs only move is to get on board and create rules that allow for fair pay to play and are standard across the nation. So each school has the ability to do what California schools will do. Also another problem to avoid by getting on board, is other states pass laws and you have a set of different rules for each school in their respective state.

I like the idea of players being able to make money on their own outside the university in a free market. However that is in a perfect world where everyone plays fair. We shall see how it turns out. The ncaas only
Move at this point is to make a statement in support and use the next two years to get bylaws written to include fair pay to play.

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2019, 10:44 AM
But my understanding of the new law is that it will make it illegal for the NCAA to enforce or even have that rule. And that they won't be able to ban Cali schools from the NCAA

Cali can do that nationwide can it? I don't think so. They can't force the NCAA to do business in their state.

Maroonthirteen
09-30-2019, 10:47 AM
https://www.espn.com/watch/player?id=27735573

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2019, 10:47 AM
The NCAA could take that stance with the California schools but that would ensure their own death and the end of college athletics as we know it. Because the court of public opinion is all for this act and many other states are drafting laws now.

The NCAAs only move is to get on board and create rules that allow for fair pay to play and are standard across the nation. So each school has the ability to do what California schools will do. Also another problem to avoid by getting on board, is other states pass laws and you have a set of different rules for each school in their respective state.

I like the idea of players being able to make money on their own outside the university in a free market. However that is in a perfect world where everyone plays fair. We shall see how it turns out. The ncaas only
Move at this point is to make a statement in support and use the next two years to get bylaws written to include fair pay to play.

Unless you are a fan of a true blue blood program you shouldn't like it. It will give them a HUGE recruiting advantage that they have never had before. If this stands, college sports is done.

sonofozarka
09-30-2019, 10:54 AM
Cali can do that nationwide can it? I don't think so. They can't force the NCAA to do business in their state.

Will the NCAA be able to bar schools from their association for not adhering to rules that have been ruled illegal? I think that's the big question, the ESPN article seems to state that it would break antitrust laws if the NCAA bans those schools for not going by a rule that has been deemed to be illegal. Who knows, lots of legal questions.

Regardless, it won't just be Cali, 5 other states are now thinking about putting in similar laws, so it will be multiple other states. And if it's ruled LEGAL that those states are allowed to still participate while legally paying players, then ALL other states will have to enact it in order to be able to compete/play under the same rules

And with the way the media is putting pressure on the NCAA and influencing public opinion on the matter, the NCAA is eventually going to have to cave on the issue.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 10:54 AM
Unless you are a fan of a true blue blood program you shouldn't like it. It will give them a HUGE recruiting advantage that they have never had before. If this stands, college sports is done.

THIS! and then it's not gonna matter who you get as a coach lol

QuadrupleOption
09-30-2019, 10:58 AM
It's stupid and shortsighted. Because specialty players will make a fortune, but no one will give a shit about OL so you'll have RBs making potentially tens of thousands of dollars (if not more) at the expense of their teammates.

Large, established programs will be able to promise aboveboard fortunes for elite players because the Bamas, UTs, Floridas, LSUs, etc. have a large enough pool of fans that will be more than willing to shell out big bucks for a jersey to line that player's pocket. And I guarantee you that there will be warehouses full of "sold" jerseys that were purchased by booster slush funds for that very reason.

The only way this works is if the NCAA collects all revenue for jerseys/etc sold and puts it in a pot, then distributes it among the schools in an equal manner. I'd also wait until a player's eligibility was exhausted, or they'd earned a degree (whichever comes first) to pay them. Otherwise you'll cement the same schools in the elite stratosphere and no one will ever be able to break into that level again.

I get that a lot of CFB fans only care about winning games and that the free education, room, board, tutors (yeah I know), clothing, and all the perks that are associated with being a CFB player are ignored. But it's a big deal. These guys already get a monthly stipend, and many of them qualify for federal assistance on top of that. It's a pretty good deal. I'm just tired of sportswriters chomping at the bit to turn CFB into the NFL Jr. It's going to destroy it.

Coursesuper
09-30-2019, 10:59 AM
This is where the break will come, only schools that are able to put eyeballs on TV's will matter. Lookout Southland here we come.

Maroonthirteen
09-30-2019, 11:01 AM

As a State fan, I totally get that. How much is the Bama QB going to get in endorsements compared to MSU QB.... it will be a damn joke and it will be a helluva conduit for boosters to pay players and offer them contracts before even signing.

My point is.... fair pay to play is inevitable. Everyone from pro players to former college players to the espn college analyst are in favor. The NCAA needs to get started now to put some strict strict rules of compliance and reporting on the books to limit rampant cheating under the disguise of fair pay to okay.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 11:01 AM
It's stupid and shortsighted. Because specialty players will make a fortune, but no one will give a shit about OL so you'll have RBs making potentially tens of thousands of dollars (if not more) at the expense of their teammates.

Large, established programs will be able to promise aboveboard fortunes for elite players because the Bamas, UTs, Floridas, LSUs, etc. have a large enough pool of fans that will be more than willing to shell out big bucks for a jersey to line that player's pocket. And I guarantee you that there will be warehouses full of "sold" jerseys that were purchased by booster slush funds for that very reason.

The only way this works is if the NCAA collects all revenue for jerseys/etc sold and puts it in a pot, then distributes it among the schools in an equal manner. I'd also wait until a player's eligibility was exhausted, or they'd earned a degree (whichever comes first) to pay them. Otherwise you'll cement the same schools in the elite stratosphere and no one will ever be able to break into that level again.

I get that a lot of CFB fans only care about winning games and that the free education, room, board, tutors (yeah I know), clothing, and all the perks that are associated with being a CFB player are ignored. But it's a big deal. These guys already get a monthly stipend, and many of them qualify for federal assistance on top of that. It's a pretty good deal. I'm just tired of sportswriters chomping at the bit to turn CFB into the NFL Jr. It's going to destroy it.

This. I love college football at all levels. It's so much more fun to watch than the nfl. If they do this it will ruin it for sure. It's already close to being ruined cause only about 5-6 schools have a legit shot at winning the NC now.

MoreCowbell
09-30-2019, 11:02 AM
What this will mean is kids will start going to schools that have the most fans/biggest student body so that they will have more opportunities to sell merchandising

Turfdawg67
09-30-2019, 11:03 AM
Ok... so they'll be getting incentives up front and on the back end. The "amateurism" of collegiate sports has been dead for a long, long time.

ETA... not saying I'm for paying the players. But let's not pretend the blue bloods aren't already paying to get the top recruits.

Maroonthirteen
09-30-2019, 11:15 AM

Yep. All this.
... and I think your 3rd paragraph is the only answer In heading This off at the pass. The NCAA can say ok.... but here are the rules to Pay them.

Also....another good point you made .... marketing OL vs RBs QBs.... are there any title IX implications with This?

Pollodawg
09-30-2019, 11:19 AM
It’s the beginning of the end of amateur athletics. They’re not student athletes anymore. They’re employees of the university.

Irondawg
09-30-2019, 11:28 AM
so many question - can you promise a while incoming class a big car commercial or something and pay them a ridiculous amount to do it for example.

Bear Bryant Ford would like to welcome the 2022 Alabama signing class...

For appearing in this ad each signee will get a brand new fully loaded Ford truck

The Federalist Engineer
09-30-2019, 11:29 AM

I don't see the problem or concerns. The Cali schools are going to play as semi-pro teams in their own league and could take all of the most media-valuable high-school talent. They will get all the Alonzo Ball's. The rest of college sports is business as usual. I think it is a good thing that professional athletes can become professional when they are able to do so and the students can play for school teams. End the hypocrisy.

I wonder, what are the ratings of NBA G-league, A-Baseball, and Canadian football? I don't even know the network that covers that stuff. It's easier to follow Turkish soccer than Canadian football. Will you stop watching MSU Baseball because Cal-Berkley has the equivalent of an A-ball team?

I think it's awesomely ballsy for the Cal leaders to make this decision unilaterally. SEC should unilaterally offer baseball scholarships and show equivalent fortitude.

RougeDawg
09-30-2019, 11:29 AM
Another day with what is wrong with California and other states with similar policies. They use the cloak of fairness to destroy that which they disagree with. There will never be fair pay, no matter what institution or government does. It is physically impossible. As many have stated, some players (employees) are more valuable to the institution. They will always get higher pay because they are worth more.

This is the same as saying all metals will be treated equally on their value, even though their actually psychical availability determines the value and price someone is willing to pay for it. Any government or law cannot alter the undeniable laws of economics or physics. These apply to humans and human nature as well. No law will prevent aspects of human nature. There will always be murders no matter how many laws or penalties are passed. Laws do not prevent things. When will people understand this. Laws just expand the things they can suppress law abiding citizens and create more ?criminals? by law.

Once again, another institution will be destroyed under the guise of fairness and equality. The only equality that will be the result of this and other similar laws, is equal disparities and destruction. Rinse repeat.

sonofozarka
09-30-2019, 11:41 AM
It?s the beginning of the end of amateur athletics. They?re not student athletes anymore. They?re employees of the university.

The way I understand this model, they WON'T be employees of the university, and nothing will change on the end of the athletic department.

The only thing changing is that athletes will be able to take money from sources that AREN'T affiliated with the school, such as a shoe deal, % of jersey sales, car dealership commercial, EA Sports, etc...

The school won't be paying them, so it won't affect Title IX. A Dak will get big endorsement deals from companies, but the women's softball left fielder will never get anything additional at all

Similar to the Olympic model, Michael Phelps is getting rich off endorsements, the curling captain not so much

sonofozarka
09-30-2019, 11:48 AM
I don't see the problem or concerns. The Cali schools are going to play as semi-pro teams in their own league and could take all of the most media-valuable high-school talent. They will get all the Alonzo Ball's. The rest of college sports is business as usual. I think it is a good thing that professional athletes can become professional when they are able to do so and the students can play for school teams. End the hypocrisy.

I wonder, what are the ratings of NBA G-league, A-Baseball, and Canadian football? I don't even know the network that covers that stuff. It's easier to follow Turkish soccer than Canadian football. Will you stop watching MSU Baseball because Cal-Berkley has the equivalent of an A-ball team?

I think it's awesomely ballsy for the Cal leaders to make this decision unilaterally. SEC should unilaterally offer baseball scholarships and show equivalent fortitude.
I've often wondered this as well, let's say every pro sports league develops a minor league system and all players that want to get paid to play are told to go directly to those minor league systems out of high school.
(if the NCAA is allowed to keep their current model).

Are more players going to start choosing to go to those pay leagues out of high school? Would the interest in minor leagues increase?

Main question is, if all of the future pro talent STOPS playing college ball, would the interest in college ball still remain as high by fans and would tv rights still be 100x higher for college sports than minor league sports if there were a bunch of guys playing college sports that didn't have the potential to be pros?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-30-2019, 12:35 PM
This. I love college football at all levels. It's so much more fun to watch than the nfl. If they do this it will ruin it for sure. It's already close to being ruined cause only about 5-6 schools have a legit shot at winning the NC now.

Time to find a team in Division II or III

Coach007
09-30-2019, 12:39 PM

4 other states are doing, and a bill is in the House on the Hill to follow this same action.

SO it becomes a bidding war with whoever has the richest Alumni. The law states a player can hire an agent to promote and profit off his likeness.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 12:40 PM
Time to find a team in Division II or III

I actually watch D2 quite a bit. I've been watching North Dakota State for years. D2 is fun to watch. Kids playing for the love of the game. I enjoy it.

Fader21
09-30-2019, 12:44 PM
You know advocates of Title IX are ready to file a lawsuit against this.

I hate this new law as I don't agree with paying college athletes. I hope the NCAA doesn't bend over and take it, but I know they will.

One bright spot is, once it gets to MSU we won't have to hear the Ford Lincoln Mercury whatever.... in LOUISSSSSSSville on the Jumbrotrons

msu15
09-30-2019, 01:32 PM
You know advocates of Title IX are ready to file a lawsuit against this.

I hate this new law as I don't agree with paying college athletes. I hope the NCAA doesn't bend over and take it, but I know they will.

One bright spot is, once it gets to MSU we won't have to hear the Ford Lincoln Mercury whatever.... in LOUISSSSSSSville on the Jumbrotrons

She’s hot though

coachnorm
09-30-2019, 01:39 PM
Be aware that many law makers have been watching the NCAA of late. Just look at the transcripts of the Todd McNair litigation in regards of the Reggie Bush issue. Being that USC is a private school, the State had no vested interest. If the NCAA tried that to Cal Berkley or UCLA, the State would carnage them. The NCAA has proven that it will not follow its rules thus it does not have standing to resist the State. The State is well versed in the Leo Lewis situation. The NCAA has redacted the released in house documentation to escape enforcement of discovered information. Remember this will be handled in the Courts and the NCAA has little credibility in the US Supreme Court providing the Court decides to hear anything the NCAA has to say based on its own shortcomings. Expect all NCAA resistance to be resolved in the 9th Circuit Court Of Appeals and not heard in the Supreme Court Of The United States

Percho
09-30-2019, 02:17 PM
Another day with what is wrong with California and other states with similar policies. They use the cloak of fairness to destroy that which they disagree with. There will never be fair pay, no matter what institution or government does. It is physically impossible. As many have stated, some players (employees) are more valuable to the institution. They will always get higher pay because they are worth more.

This is the same as saying all metals will be treated equally on their value, even though their actually psychical availability determines the value and price someone is willing to pay for it. Any government or law cannot alter the undeniable laws of economics or physics. These apply to humans and human nature as well. No law will prevent aspects of human nature. There will always be murders no matter how many laws or penalties are passed. Laws do not prevent things. When will people understand this. Laws just expand the things they can suppress law abiding citizens and create more ?criminals? by law.

Once again, another institution will be destroyed under the guise of fairness and equality. The only equality that will be the result of this and other similar laws, is equal disparities and destruction. Rinse repeat.

I can prove this from the Word of God but I don't guess that would be sports related.

So bye.

BulldogBear
09-30-2019, 02:51 PM
I can actually see this being used to launder impermissible benefits for OTHER players/recruits.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
09-30-2019, 02:58 PM

There is only one Alonzo Ball.

Doggie_Style
09-30-2019, 03:05 PM
There isn't much money in minor league baseball and there would probably be less in minor league football. If an 18 year old wants to be a professional football player, ride the bus and make $30K/yr then so be it. I have zero interest in watching that product.

Bothrops
09-30-2019, 03:08 PM
Yeah the ruining of college sports to be completed. But it's not the only thing.

StarkVegasSteve
09-30-2019, 03:12 PM
I really don't have too much of a problem with it. I agree that there should be some sort of payment that they get. I believe it's going to be equal across all sports men and women though. Now whatever money they make outside of that is on their own. The same players are still going to go to the Bama, Clemson, UGA, etc. as before. Players will very quickly figure out that the only ones getting big time PAID are the stars players and they'll just end up transferring and that's the market the Mississippi State's of the world would need to create a niche in.

sleepy dawg
09-30-2019, 03:25 PM
You guys act like this isn't where we already are. Once this happens we won't be able to compete with the "blue bloods"..? How the hell is that working out for us now? The blue bloods already own everything. The "blue bloods" already outpay everyone. Just go back to that Shotgun post from last week about how Georgia has more on their bench than our entire team. So what happens after this goes into effect? They're still going to have more on their bench than we have on our team.

College football is probably the most lopsided sport in favor of the "blue bloods" than any sport I've seen. It can't possibly get any worse. This isn't the beginning of the end. It's always been this way. This is just business as usual for this sport.

Doggie_Style
09-30-2019, 03:28 PM
I really don't have too much of a problem with it. I agree that there should be some sort of payment that they get. I believe it's going to be equal across all sports men and women though. Now whatever money they make outside of that is on their own. The same players are still going to go to the Bama, Clemson, UGA, etc. as before. Players will very quickly figure out that the only ones getting big time PAID are the stars players and they'll just end up transferring and that's the market the Mississippi State's of the world would need to create a niche in.

There are over 170,000 Division I athletes in college today. If you pay all of them $10K per year that equates to $1.7 Billion....where is that money going to come from Steve??

StarkVegasSteve
09-30-2019, 03:33 PM
There are over 170,000 Division I athletes in college today. If you pay all of them $10K per year that equates to $1.7 Billion....where is that money going to come from Steve??

Bring NCAA Football back***

But in all seriousness I would say 5K a year, but even by using your 10K a year figure......the NCAA makes well over a billion dollars a year. Start giving sponsors the chance to bid on athletes during major tournaments such as March Madness, CFP, etc. for commercials or meet and greets during the Final Four and that number will jump tremendously. I would imagine that the NCAA already has a plan on how to handle this situation. There's been talk of this for the better part of a decade.

Maroonthirteen
09-30-2019, 07:54 PM
If you pay the players a salary. You?ll be negotiating that every other year. Especially a salary as low as $5-10k. See the Nfl hold outs for example.

The Federalist Engineer
09-30-2019, 08:03 PM
It?s the beginning of the end of amateur athletics. They?re not student athletes anymore. They?re employees of the university.

It hasn?t been Amateur for decades. If it were amateur, football coaches would just hang out at the Freshman dorms and hand out tryouts flyers to new freshman. Teams would be full of rosy cheeked, 5ft 5in, 140lb linebackers Nicknamed ?Sparky?

The teams would play, then eat burgers and lemonade after the ball game, in full game gear with both fan bases.

MSU?s team would be 25% land survey majors and would play with 1/2 the total lineup during deer season.

Jack Lambert
09-30-2019, 08:15 PM
One of two things. Either the NCAA will allow it for all schools or California teams will not be able to compete with other NCAA members. It's not like California is the center of college football world it use to be. Seems no one out there really cares and what players can you name right now at a California school that would benefit from it? Advertisers are not going to pay just any one.

Todd4State
09-30-2019, 09:13 PM
I agree that this will hurt MSU in football.

It's a good thing that we're a baseball school though.

Seriously- you want to offset Vanderbilt's advantage? How about giving a guy like JT Ginn a nice cut from jersey sales? If we give them enough of a cut it really won't matter how much scholarship money they're on at that point. We've already somewhat started with the recent Jake Mangum collection- which you know helped pad whatever piddly bonus the Mets gave him and was a VERY nice gesture from MSU. And we have enough fans invested in the program to give some players some nice cash if given the opportunity through jersey sales. And certainly enough to get some guys that are borderline draft risks and maybe even get a few more guys back for their senior year in some cases with the way the slot system is structured now. Having a HUGE fan base for baseball like MSU has would give us a massive advantage if this goes through over most of the lottery state teams except for LSU. MLB could offer let's say a million dollars. MSU could offer an education- possibly for free, the potential to earn money through jersey sales, and the potential to make more money by getting developed into a higher pick.

sleepy dawg
09-30-2019, 10:47 PM
I'm still not seeing how it hurts us. What's going to happen? We're going to lose to Auburn 56 to 23? Or not be able to beat Big 10 teams anymore? Or start splitting games with Kentucky? Become a perennial mid to lower tier sec team?

Or is Alabama, Georgia, Clemson and Ohio State going to start getting all the 5 star recruits and finishing in the top 5 every year?

It sure is going to ruin things when the same 4 teams make the playoffs every year. What a nightmare college football will be when we have to start recruiting in the 20s to 30s every year and all that left over sec money.

coachnorm
09-30-2019, 10:48 PM
One of two things. Either the NCAA will allow it for all schools or California teams will not be able to compete with other NCAA members. It's not like California is the center of college football world it use to be. Seems no one out there really cares and what players can you name right now at a California school that would benefit from it? Advertisers are not going to pay just any one.

Once the NCAA moves to impede this movement, the State will attack administratively and legally. Once the legal proceedings start, the NCAA will be subserviently captured by that system which means it has lost it's authority to impede anything. The 9th Circuit Court Of Appeals will castrate the NCAA and the US Supreme Court will not entertain an appeal. The NCAA has been watched too closely, of late, and is not in good standing with anybody. Check Mate?

The Federalist Engineer
10-01-2019, 12:21 AM
I agree that this will hurt MSU in football.

It's a good thing that we're a baseball school though.

Seriously- you want to offset Vanderbilt's advantage? How about giving a guy like JT Ginn a nice cut from jersey sales? If we give them enough of a cut it really won't matter how much scholarship money they're on at that point. We've already somewhat started with the recent Jake Mangum collection- which you know helped pad whatever piddly bonus the Mets gave him and was a VERY nice gesture from MSU. And we have enough fans invested in the program to give some players some nice cash if given the opportunity through jersey sales. And certainly enough to get some guys that are borderline draft risks and maybe even get a few more guys back for their senior year in some cases with the way the slot system is structured now. Having a HUGE fan base for baseball like MSU has would give us a massive advantage if this goes through over most of the lottery state teams except for LSU. MLB could offer let's say a million dollars. MSU could offer an education- possibly for free, the potential to earn money through jersey sales, and the potential to make more money by getting developed into a higher pick.

In baseball- how about you get drafted in the 5th round by the Yankees. Instead of spending time in Rookie ball, drinking excessively with Dominicans - you get paid by the Yankees to go to school and they encourage you to play 50-70 games per year.

So you leave Starkville with education, development, and SEC experience- and you are still a yankee. Conceptually, MLB needs minor leagues anyway, so College baseball simply allows payment and contracts to be respected during the eligibility cycle.

If California can do unilateral things, why not the SEC? The SEC should do it Boris Johnson style HARD BREXIT ....NCAAexit

Liverpooldawg
10-01-2019, 08:05 AM
In baseball- how about you get drafted in the 5th round by the Yankees. Instead of spending time in Rookie ball, drinking excessively with Dominicans - you get paid by the Yankees to go to school and they encourage you to play 50-70 games per year.

So you leave Starkville with education, development, and SEC experience- and you are still a yankee. Conceptually, MLB needs minor leagues anyway, so College baseball simply allows payment and contracts to be respected during the eligibility cycle.

If California can do unilateral things, why not the SEC? The SEC should do it Boris Johnson style HARD BREXIT ....NCAAexit

In case you haven't noticed that's not working out all that great for Boris Johnson. They have a bigger mess than we do right now, and that's saying something.

The Federalist Engineer
10-01-2019, 01:14 PM
In case you haven't noticed that's not working out all that great for Boris Johnson. They have a bigger mess than we do right now, and that's saying something.

The implosion of complicated things is always messy. No other way, you can't negotiate the end of the NCAA, EU, Soviet Empire, Mercantilism, or Taxation Without Representation. Just gotta yank the band aid off and force a new conversation. There is screaming and panic, then silence, and business goes on as usual with new circumstances.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/mark-cuban-ncaa-players-profit-implode

Political Hack
10-01-2019, 01:37 PM
The ncaa is a voluntary organization. California schools are not forced to join. NCAA can ban, remove, suspend, or completely expel any university for whatever reason they feel like it. It's no different than your HOA telling you what you can't or can't park in your own driveway. You joined the organization and agreed to abide by its rules and now you've backed off of that commitment?

The only way this works out cleanly is if all P5 schools agree to separate from the ncaa and establish rules themselves. The problem becomes how do you deal with traditional non-revenue sports and the variations that exist there. State could pay its baseball team a stipend or salary. Most P5 schools couldn't. And what about Title IX? Women's softball? Women's basketball? Tenn wants to pay, but Ole Miss doesn't? It's going to be a complete mess if a split happens across all sports.

Jack Lambert
10-01-2019, 02:05 PM
Once the NCAA moves to impede this movement, the State will attack administratively and legally. Once the legal proceedings start, the NCAA will be subserviently captured by that system which means it has lost it's authority to impede anything. The 9th Circuit Court Of Appeals will castrate the NCAA and the US Supreme Court will not entertain an appeal. The NCAA has been watched too closely, of late, and is not in good standing with anybody. Check Mate?

I tend to agree but the 9th circuit has taken a dramatic change over the past three years. There were already four appointed by Bush on the court but Trump has appointed 7 to that court. It will all come down to which three gets the case. Plus anything the 9th does gets a look by the Supreme court. They may not take the case but they look at them due to the high reversal rate they have had over the years.

BulldogBear
10-01-2019, 02:49 PM
So, long as they reduce Football schollies significantly it may not be so terrible. But I mean to 70 max and 65 would be better.

Doggie_Style
10-01-2019, 03:21 PM
So, long as they reduce Football schollies significantly it may not be so terrible. But I mean to 70 max and 65 would be better.

But that's not where this is going. Soon someone is going to argue that ALL players should have scholarships AND be paid......all that television money and what not.....not fair that some have and some don't......heck why not free tuition for all students.....Feel the Bern!!

ShotgunDawg
10-01-2019, 05:14 PM
What keeps Phil Knight from promising a 5* SoCal recruit 500K by making a bunch of Nike Oregon jerseys for the kid, buying them himself, stuffing in a warehouse, and giving out to Ethiopians?

What regulates that?

RocketDawg
10-01-2019, 06:05 PM

They already get payment ... free tuition (varies by school, whether private or public, or in-state or out-of-state), plus room and board. Being able to collect something for autographs and other equally minor things might be OK, if it stopped there, but if it goes beyond just drop the ruse of being a student/athlete and let each school have a professional team.

It does seem a bit unfair for a head coach to make $12M off the players' performance though. To solve, reduce head coach salaries to where they should be.

deadheaddawg
10-02-2019, 12:12 AM
I keep hear ESPN is losing subscribers and the future money cow is dying

I keep hearing the crowds are shrinking and stadiums are not full.

I keep hearing football is too violent and kids aren't playing anymore and CTE will kill the game.

Sounds to me like the future job market for these kids is not looking good. In 20 years the bama QB will be bitching about not making minium wage

coachnorm
10-02-2019, 12:32 AM
I tend to agree but the 9th circuit has taken a dramatic change over the past three years. There were already four appointed by Bush on the court but Trump has appointed 7 to that court. It will all come down to which three gets the case. Plus anything the 9th does gets a look by the Supreme court. They may not take the case but they look at them due to the high reversal rate they have had over the years.

Conservative people and conservative judges tend to be stricter stewards of law enforcement. The official court records prove that the NCAA acted unlawfully with USC. The NCAA redacted many major colleges in its discoveries in the Leo Lewis saga to avoid sanctioning others with Ole Miss, The NCAA stuck its nose in the Penn State issue when the law enforcement was involved. Conservative judges love to hammer law breakers more so than liberals who have the habit of looking the other way. The NCAA volunteered to be lawful in its dealings and breached the trust bestowed upon it, thus conservative judges in the 9th Circuit Court Of Appeals might love administering justice upon the NCAA?

Coach007
10-02-2019, 12:33 AM

Nope.

It won't be equal.

1- This is not just Cali. 5 other states are in the process of passing their version of it.

2- The US GOV has a bill they are considering.

This law, while many think it is, is NOT about paying everybody. It states that Johnny can hire an agent, just like an NFL player, to sell his likeness.

THis effects recruiting because while we may not be able to pay hill, you are DAMN sure that an agent will be able to shop him out to the highest bidder.

Add the fact that there is a PORTAL NOW and that players like Justin Fields did not have to sit a year..... IT's a bidding war.

Let's say USC needs a RB. An agent contacts Hill. They say, you are the top back.... USC has an alumni that is willing to offer you 250K for your likeness on an add if you come to USC.

Portal....

Gone

Paid..

NFL still comes for him.

This will eventually end sports as we know it

Coach007
10-02-2019, 12:34 AM
What keeps Phil Knight from promising a 5* SoCal recruit 500K by making a bunch of Nike Oregon jerseys for the kid, buying them himself, stuffing in a warehouse, and giving out to Ethiopians?

What regulates that?

Not a damn thing!

sleepy dawg
10-02-2019, 09:14 AM
I can prove this from the Word of God but I don't guess that would be sports related.

So bye.

There should be fair pay. That is not the same as equal pay. Everyone may not be treated equally, but everyone deserves to be treated fairly.

Jack Lambert
10-02-2019, 09:22 AM
Not a damn thing!

And those shirts being made in a sweat shop by 11 year old's in China.

The Federalist Engineer
10-02-2019, 10:39 AM
And those shirts being made in a sweat shop by 11 year old's in China.

China is upscale my man. They use Vietnamese and Cambodians for shirt making.

In 15/20 years the Vietnamese and Cambodians will be upscale and Africans will be making the shirts. Already started.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-03-02/china-is-turning-ethiopia-into-a-giant-fast-fashion-factory

Irondawg
10-02-2019, 11:37 AM
The solution is for the NCAA to cap coaches pay and then show how the TV money can be used for more than athletics. They have to make it look like an amateur sport - not an amateur sport with coaches paid more than the NFL.

The problem is getting enough key schools to agree to a better structure

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
10-02-2019, 11:51 AM
What are the tax implications of this new law? Will scholarships be taxed now? There will be some interesting tax returns for sure to see where all the money came from.

Jack Lambert
10-02-2019, 01:04 PM
Conservative people and conservative judges tend to be stricter stewards of law enforcement. The official court records prove that the NCAA acted unlawfully with USC. The NCAA redacted many major colleges in its discoveries in the Leo Lewis saga to avoid sanctioning others with Ole Miss, The NCAA stuck its nose in the Penn State issue when the law enforcement was involved. Conservative judges love to hammer law breakers more so than liberals who have the habit of looking the other way. The NCAA volunteered to be lawful in its dealings and breached the trust bestowed upon it, thus conservative judges in the 9th Circuit Court Of Appeals might love administering justice upon the NCAA?

I totally agree. All I was doing was pointing out that the 9th isn't the same 9th when it was insinuated that it would rule one way. In fact if may even be filed in another court because of the make up of the 9th has changed. When Trump took off out of the 29 judges four were appointed by a Republican. Now there is 11. That is almost one half.

Coursesuper
10-02-2019, 01:53 PM
There will be a super conference within 10 years and the rest of us will be scrambling for a place to play.