PDA

View Full Version : I Need Hope: Has Any Coach Ever Changed Your Perception Of Them

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2019, 09:11 AM
After you saw them coach enough games to get a general feel for their strengths and weaknesses?

I can't really think of one.

Doggie_Style
09-30-2019, 09:19 AM
Coach O.....he swallowed his pride and found the people that he could put around him to get the job done. Joe looks to be too hard headed to see his own weaknesses.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2019, 09:22 AM
Coach O.....he swallowed his pride and found the people that he could put around him to get the job done. Joe looks to be too hard headed to see his own weaknesses.

Great one. Anyone else?

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 09:24 AM

Problem with that is it took him getting fired and bouncing around to figure it out. We need Joe to figure it out right now.

shoeless joe
09-30-2019, 09:26 AM
Problem with that is it took him getting fired and bouncing around to figure it out. We need Joe to figure it out right now.

Yep.

Can’t think of anyone that I thought was a poor coach turn into a good coach while still at that job. I have seen several that I thought would be good, or were good, go sour real quick.

Doggie_Style
09-30-2019, 09:28 AM

Your are right.....but it's clear to most that Joe needs help running this program. He will either find the help he needs or be packing his bags in 15 months

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2019, 09:38 AM
I do believe that the right coach for MSU is out there.

Clemson hired their WR coach for goodness sakes.

Stop looking at the resume and hire an alpha fearless human.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 09:39 AM
Your are right.....but it's clear to most that Joe needs help running this program. He will either find the help he needs or be packing his bags in 15 months

And most guys that become head coaches have an ego that their way is the right way. It usually takes getting knocked down before they take a good look in the mirror. I hope Joe either figures it out or gets someone to help where he needs it because I would rather not get set back. At least he seems to be recruiting well so if he doesn't cut it then the next guy will have a good roster. I just want to keep the bowl streak alive even if it is a 6-6 year with another disappointing loss, I would rather the loss be to either UT or Ark and not UM. With Abilene still out there, we just HAVE to win 2 SEC games to go bowling. I would prefer to beat UM and prevent them from getting to a bowl.

StarkVegasSteve
09-30-2019, 09:50 AM
After you saw them coach enough games to get a general feel for their strengths and weaknesses?

This might be a strange one, but Saban. His embrace of the spread after 2014 continued their dynasty imo. I never thought he'd ever go to the spread and now he's got dynamic players all over his offense.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2019, 09:58 AM
This might be a strange one, but Saban. His embrace of the spread after 2014 continued their dynasty imo. I never thought he'd ever go to the spread and now he's got dynamic players all over his offense.

Come on really?

Saban. Really?

Irondawg
09-30-2019, 10:14 AM
Well we've discussed forever that Dabo almost got fired. I thought Stoops was awful for KY and then he got them back up (although this season has been a disaster).

Beamer took a long time to get rolling at VT. It does happen.

Likewise there are lot of coaches that look like good hires that turn into disasters. VT again as an example. Who thought Harbaugh wouldn't get it done at Michigan? Everyone thought Chip Kelly would make UCLA at least pretty good. Freeze looked like the perfect M coach until it all fell down.

Finding the right coach at any level is really, really, really difficult.

BrunswickDawg
09-30-2019, 10:15 AM

Na. Because numerous coaches have had to evolve their offenses or defenses over the course of their careers. Especially when they have long careers.
Did you forget the Bear bringing in Royal and Bellard to teach him the Wishbone? Bear had been very pass oriented in the 60s with Namath, Sloan and Stabler, but he hit a wall in '69 and '70 and people wondered if he was done.
Enter the Wishbone and Bama went on to dominate the SEC in the 70s

Johnson85
09-30-2019, 10:17 AM

Dabo. I thought Clemsoning was going to be a thing for a long time.

ETA: also lost to SPurrier like 5 times in a row I think? Or was part of that before he became head coach?

Liverpooldawg
09-30-2019, 10:48 AM
Several, on many levels.

MoreCowbell
09-30-2019, 10:52 AM
Howland

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 10:52 AM
Bill Belichick for one. He was 36-44 in 5 years at cleveland and then 5-11 his first year with the pats. I would say he turned it around pretty well.

ShotgunDawg
09-30-2019, 11:22 AM
Bill Belichick for one. He was 36-44 in 5 years at cleveland and then 5-11 his first year with the pats. I would say he turned it around pretty well.

I think we have to be careful with wins/losses

It's possible that if you actually watched those teams, you'd realize they were well coached but may have been missing other things.

Commercecomet24
09-30-2019, 11:28 AM
I think we have to be careful with wins/losses

It's possible that if you actually watched those teams, you'd realize they were well coached but may have been missing other things.

Naw if you read any of Bills books(I've read them all) or watched any of his interviews about his time in cleveland, he says it himself. He was a young coach who had to learn and adjust. He was a great DC and he tried to approach being a HC that way from the beginning and it didn't work. He changed and adjusted. The great ones always make adjustments. He did, some don't.

Johnson85
09-30-2019, 12:34 PM
Slightly non-responsive, but a different reason to have hope:

We look like we are a poorly coached team b/c we are failing at basics that are obvious even to non-fans. While that's an indictment of Moorhead as head coach, it's also stuff that doesn't take a rocket scientist to fix, so there is the potential to get help on that from an assistant coach. Moorhead didn't get where he is by not being good at anything. He has some skills, and if he will delegate the authority to fix it to somebody, it's probably easier to get help with some of the things we need help with than it some other problems we might have with say a coach who was good at little things but struggled with x's and o's.

missouridawg
09-30-2019, 12:42 PM

You don’t need hope. You need a life. Grow up.

Dawg61
09-30-2019, 03:01 PM
Kirby Smart, I initially thought he was nothing special at UGA.

R2Dawg
09-30-2019, 07:30 PM
I do believe that the right coach for MSU is out there.

Clemson hired their WR coach for goodness sakes.

Stop looking at the resume and hire an alpha fearless human.

So true. Lots of programs were terrible or average before the right hire - UF, FSU, Vtech, Miami, Clemson, etc. We've had a few good ones that did thing at MSU, There is a good fit to take us to the next level. The last 30 years shows that. Joe got to think out of his box or he will be buried in it. Not the box, but the box Joe built. With some changes, Joe can be successful but same round peg in square hole thinking not going to work.

Cooterpoot
09-30-2019, 07:57 PM
Kirby Smart, I initially thought he was nothing special at UGA.

He’s not.

pilldawg
09-30-2019, 08:17 PM

Dabo Swinney. He appeared awful early on and lost to Steve Spurrier 5 straight years.

confucius say
09-30-2019, 10:43 PM
Saban averaged 7-4 when he was mich st.