PDA

View Full Version : What coach is available this off season we could hire?

Johnson85
09-30-2019, 08:42 AM
who would help Moorhead and staff on the little things.

Let's assume Schoop can coach. I don't know enough to say. We look like we're out of position a lot and are horrible at tackling, which I would usually say is a coaching issue. But a talent deficit will also cause you to look out of position and miss a lot of tackles because you're not fast enough to get places and/or not strong enough to get off blocks. And the one thing that looks obvious to me is that we don't have any playmakers on defense other than Gay. Our DL reminds me of 2012. A lot of decent players, but probably a lot of players that can be your worst and/or second worst DL player and still be ok, but you've got to have them paired with a playmaker or two. Can't make a full, effective DL with them.

Our offense isn't hopeless. We show some flashes. We suck at little things. We are mentally weak. (We have been mentally weak on the road since Dak left. Not just normal weakness as the road is tough in the SEC, but just chicken shit, scared of the moment, act like we've never played football weak. I don't know what the 17 that's about.)

Our special teams. Well, our punter kicks the ball pretty damn effectively sometimes. After that...

I think when Joe was head coach at Fordham, maybe a lot of the little things were taken care of not b/c he did a good job coaching them, but b/c his players were not division one athletes and were above average at the mental aspects of the game. So they let him get away with skimping on the little things, and then when he went to PSU, they weren't his responsibility. So Joe does some things well, but still needs some help instilling discipline and working on little things. I'm thinking a former head coach who had disciplined teams but maybe flamed out b/c he couldn't recruit or was just incapable of adjusting with changes in offense or defense. Not sure who that would be. Might be somebody at a lower level.

But I think if I were Cohen at the end of this year, I'd tell Joe he gets an extension and some money to hire a pretty highly paid assistant head coach. Let Moorhead game plan and recruit. Let Schoop handle defense. Let the assistant head coach handle special teams, discipline, oversee S&C coach, and help organize and manage practices. Even if we ended up with a higher payroll than we would ideally have, I think that would be less expensive than letting Joe flounder trying to figure things out himself.

ETA: Because all the people thinking we could or should fire Moorhead this year are crazy. He's getting three full years, and will have to regress to 3 or 4 wins next year to not get a fourth.

ETA2: To make headline less click bait like and see if anybody had real suggestions

CadaverDawg
09-30-2019, 08:46 AM
What about the Ash guy that just got canned at rutgers? Much like our head coach, he was a great coordinator in the Big10 but looked like he wasn't D1 head coaching material. If we're going to go Big10, might as well go all the way I guess.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 08:49 AM
I wonder if Mullen benefited from his 1st year staff. He had a few guys that were head coaches prior to MSU. Does Joe get any benefit from Hudspeth or now Tony Hughes?

You have to have someone strong on staff, everyone can't be a cheerleader especially if you don't have that leadership from the players. I think with Simmons and Abram, they weren't going to let that defense fold but now we don't have that player.

Johnson85
09-30-2019, 09:00 AM
What about the Ash guy that just got canned at rutgers? Much like our head coach, he was a great coordinator in the Big10 but looked like he wasn't D1 head coaching material. If we're going to go Big10, might as well go all the way I guess.

Yea, I'm thinking somebody that came in and showed immediate improvement from improving fundamentals, but then couldn't maintain it b/c of recruiting or just stalled at that first improvement before the fan base turned on them. Almost certainly would have to be G5 and maybe a lower division to be able to find one we can afford. A coach that other coaches would describe as solid at fundamentals but unimaginative, something like that. Just don't pay attention enough to know who that would be. I can remember a coach we played against in high school that would qualify. Basically his teams always hit hard and tackled well, and they blocked well but they ran the same exact playbook for years. If they had more talent than you, they were hard to beat. But if you had the same talent, you knew what they were doing on offense, so you had an advantage. I doubt anybody survives long at any college level if they are that extreme, but that's the extreme version of the type of coach I'm thinking about. Maybe a coach that has struggled because he has Les Miles' type stubborness but that survives based on great fundamentals rather than great recruiting.

Dawgology
09-30-2019, 09:07 AM
He just needs to take the players out on the field and neuter a bull in front of them.**

StarkVegasSteve
09-30-2019, 09:53 AM
Hell, promise to double Joe Brady's salary and make him Asst. HC, OC, and playcaller.

vv83
09-30-2019, 10:04 AM
Hell, promise to double Joe Brady's salary and make him Asst. HC, OC, and playcaller.

Joe^2

HancockCountyDog
09-30-2019, 10:06 AM
My bad - its Monday.

CadaverDawg
09-30-2019, 10:13 AM
This is such a dumb thread.

We are beating the bears. We are going to a bowl.

We don't fire a coach that does that. I mean we can have these threads up if the mods want, but its silly.

Nothing I saw Saturday out of us OR ole Miss tells me we can chalk that up as a W. Not to mention that you never know in an Egg bowl. That being said, I agree that Moorhead isn't getting canned before November of 2020 at absolute earliest. But if people want to play hypotheticals I'm cool with it, that's more fun than talking about our season at the moment

Johnson85
09-30-2019, 10:13 AM
This is such a dumb thread.

We are beating the bears. We are going to a bowl.

We don't fire a coach that does that. I mean we can have these threads up if the mods want, but its silly.

Did somebody not read the thread at all? I get the original post was a little long, but it would literally taken reading two sentences to prevent you from misunderstanding.

Dawgology
09-30-2019, 10:45 AM
Nothing I saw Saturday out of us OR ole Miss tells me we can chalk that up as a W. Not to mention that you never know in an Egg bowl. That being said, I agree that Moorhead isn't getting canned before November of 2020 at absolute earliest. But if people want to play hypotheticals I'm cool with it, that's more fun than talking about our season at the moment

Yep. Given his personnel choices I wouldn't be suprised at all to see him sit the Tutor10 for the Egg Bowl.