PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts from last night...

wild_dawg
09-29-2019, 04:15 PM
1. I (foolishly) didn't see that coming. I wasn't expecting a win, but I was expecting a competitive game.

2. We were not prepared for the environment, some of that I can forgive. A lot of our young guys were baptized by fire, and it showed. That is fortunately something we can improve on.

3. We seemed lost on D, part of it I think was being on the road, but so much of it was just being unprepared. Just saw on Twitter where Shoop owned up to it, I can respect that, but it has to be fixed. Theres no excuse for that poor of a showing.

4. There's no question that tutorgate had more of an impact than was previously thought, some of the blame has to be on those players.

5. I can see what Moorhead is trying to do, you can see spurts of it, but the question is can it be consistent. As of right now I don't think so, I feel like for us to win we have to play a physical brand of football which we had under Mullen. I really hope Moorhead proves me wrong on this, but I just don't see it right now.

6. At this point, you've just got to go with Shrader. He is going to be a special player at Mississippi State. Tommy getting injured makes me wonder if its something that lingered over from Penn State. Hate it for him, seems like a really good guy and a leader.

7. We can't fire Moorhead after this year. Look at what has happened to Tennessee. We simply don't have the financial resources or tradition to be a revolving door and do what ever we want. It sucks, but it is what it is. I am also afraid that if Moorhead leaves, Shrader goes with him. I hope he is able to build something here.

8. I still think we go 7-5, we are much better than what we showed last night. I hope the coaches can get it out of them.

As bad as yesterday was, I'll still be screaming like hell during every game from here on out, Hail State!

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2019, 04:25 PM
1. I (foolishly) didn't see that coming. I wasn't expecting a win, but I was expecting a competitive game.

2. We were not prepared for the environment, some of that I can forgive. A lot of our young guys were baptized by fire, and it showed. That is fortunately something we can improve on.

3. We seemed lost on D, part of it I think was being on the road, but so much of it was just being unprepared. Just saw on Twitter where Shoop owned up to it, I can respect that, but it has to be fixed. Theres no excuse for that poor of a showing.

4. There's no question that tutorgate had more of an impact than was previously thought, some of the blame has to be on those players.

5. I can see what Moorhead is trying to do, you can see spurts of it, but the question is can it be consistent. As of right now I don't think so, I feel like for us to win we have to play a physical brand of football which we had under Mullen. I really hope Moorhead proves me wrong on this, but I just don't see it right now.

6. At this point, you've just got to go with Shrader. He is going to be a special player at Mississippi State. Tommy getting injured makes me wonder if its something that lingered over from Penn State. Hate it for him, seems like a really good guy and a leader.

7. We can't fire Moorhead after this year. Look at what has happened to Tennessee. We simply don't have the financial resources or tradition to be a revolving door and do what ever we want. It sucks, but it is what it is. I am also afraid that if Moorhead leaves, Shrader goes with him. I hope he is able to build something here.

8. I still think we go 7-5, we are much better than what we showed last night. I hope the coaches can get it out of them.

As bad as yesterday was, I'll still be screaming like hell during every game from here on out, Hail State!

Great post.

1. I'm right there with you. I expected to lose, but I expected a close game. Had no idea we were that inept on defense

2. We never appear ready for that environment & not being ready for road games has become a trend under Moorhead. He needs to step it up

3. I think defense is almost 100% about talent. I think a bad DC can hurt a defense more than a good DC can help one. We are short on SEC players on defense with the tutor gate & bad class balance by Mullen. Again, this should get better.

4. No doubt. It's be devastating to the defense & it's even worse that the coaches essentially have to tell the players which games they believe they can win, due to when they play the Tutor 10. It sucks. The good news is that it's all over before the Egg Bowl

5. Moorhead's offense works with Shrader & the WR & OL recruiting is getting better. We are going to move the ball for the next 4 years. However, due to that, we need to speed things up on offense. We have a good offense, so lets run more plays, not less. Part of the lack of plays is due to the defense though.

6. Shrader is a DUDE. Gonna be great. Wait till he starts hitting the deep ball & it's coming.

7. I don't like operating in fear. I don't think there is anyway barring 4 wins that we consider firing Moorhead, but leadership is about doing the right thing, not the popular thing.

8. If we'll go all in Shrader, I think we can score an awful lot of points vs TN, Ark, A&M, & OM. My concern is that we could just as easy give up 50 points vs A&M & OM.

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 04:29 PM
If you think the boat race was bad last night ... wait till LSU comes to town. Their D may or may not be as good as AU's (can't tell for sure yet), but their O can hang 150 on us if they want to. I do imagine that LSU's 1st team D is better than AU's 3rd team tho.

I'm sure Ogre will tone that down some to around 45 or so ... then 007 can real off some "facts" to show how that LSU game wasn't as bad as another one under Mullen.

Pollodawg
09-29-2019, 04:33 PM
Ummm.....As far as tutor gate goes, ALL of the blame is on those players. It’s not Joe’s fault they were dummies and got caught.

Commercecomet24
09-29-2019, 04:36 PM
Ummm.....As far as tutor gate goes, ALL of the blame is on those players. It?s not Joe?s fault they were dummies and got caught.

Yep. I'm huge on personal responsibility because that's a dying thing these days but tutorgate falls squarely on the shoulders of those 10. My hope is that they learned a valuable lesson from this. They're actions didnt just affect them but cost their university, coaches and teammates. That needs to be driven home to them repeatedly

wild_dawg
Ummm.....As far as tutor gate goes, ALL of the blame is on those players. It’s not Joe’s fault they were dummies and got caught.

That's my bad I wasn't clear on that. Tutorgate is all on the players, but in regards to how to defense has played, they share a lot but not all of that blame.

ShotgunDawg
Ummm.....As far as tutor gate goes, ALL of the blame is on those players. It?s not Joe?s fault they were dummies and got caught.

Why do people keep saying this?

Isn't this understood by now?

Does saying this somehow take the responsibility off Moorhead to use those players in the most effective way?

wild_dawg
09-29-2019, 04:40 PM
Great post.

1. I'm right there with you. I expected to lose, but I expected a close game. Had no idea we were that inept on defense

2. We never appear ready for that environment & not being ready for road games has become a trend under Moorhead. He needs to step it up

3. I think defense is almost 100% about talent. I think a bad DC can hurt a defense more than a good DC can help one. We are short on SEC players on defense with the tutor gate & bad class balance by Mullen. Again, this should get better.

4. No doubt. It's be devastating to the defense & it's even worse that the coaches essentially have to tell the players which games they believe they can win, due to when they play the Tutor 10. It sucks. The good news is that it's all over before the Egg Bowl

5. Moorhead's offense works with Shrader & the WR & OL recruiting is getting better. We are going to move the ball for the next 4 years. However, due to that, we need to speed things up on offense. We have a good offense, so lets run more plays, not less. Part of the lack of plays is due to the defense though.

6. Shrader is a DUDE. Gonna be great. Wait till he starts hitting the deep ball & it's coming.

7. I don't like operating in fear. I don't think there is anyway barring 4 wins that we consider firing Moorhead, but leadership is about doing the right thing, not the popular thing.

8. If we'll go all in Shrader, I think we can score an awful lot of points vs TN, Ark, A&M, & OM. My concern is that we could just as easy give up 50 points vs A&M & OM.

I get what you're saying not operating in fear but at this point, we need to make our job as attractive as possible. Firing a coach after 2 years doesn't do that. Now if we win only four games, you're doing more damage keeping him. We'll just have to see how the rest of the season plays out.

chef dixon
09-29-2019, 04:46 PM
Defense was set up for failure yesterday by our horrid start. They were bad, but they were also handcuffed from the jump

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 04:51 PM
Defense was set up for failure yesterday by our horrid start. They were bad, but they were also handcuffed from the jump

Last year's D had a bunch of upper classmen leadership and refused to let the completely inept O affect their play. I honestly was worried they may pack it in after FL game ... but they never did. That was impressive.

Now we playing a bunch of young players and also missing players on that side of the ball. They looking for that leadership from the upperclassmen on the O side of ball. It ain't happening.

That's one of several reasons I'm hanging with Shoop. I could be wrong long term but he's done enough for me to give him the benefit of the doubt for a while.

Joe on the other hand ... Keeps reinforcing what I keep seeing on the field.

Todd4State
09-29-2019, 04:52 PM

THIS.

Tbonewannabe
09-29-2019, 04:55 PM
1. It was worse than anyone expected although after the 21-0 start, we probably played close to what some expected. I figured losing around by 2-3 TDs but no one expected the cluster 17 at the beginning.

2. We weren't prepared and got punched in the mouth. It took almost the entire first quarter to recover. That is on the coaching and is very worrisome. Tommy looked like a deer in headlights. I think Shrader actually calmed down the offense and we actually moved the ball.

3. Unfortunately the defense didn't have that player and it is disappointing that Errol wasn't that player. Instead he makes a dumbass play that keeps them from punting and gets himself ejected.

4. I think everyone underestimated how much of an impact that Gay and Autry would have. I thought we were in trouble at DT but apparently Gay is what really makes the defense go.

5. In the SEC, you have to at times impose your will on teams. I don't think Moorhead really understands that. On the goal line, even if you don't have a QB sneak you at least run power football. That should be the easiest damn call he could do on offense. Kylin could jump over the pile by 4 damn yards.

6. Yes
7. Yes
8. Yes

RocketDawg
09-29-2019, 05:00 PM
If you think the boat race was bad last night ... wait till LSU comes to town. Their D may or may not be as good as AU's (can't tell for sure yet), but their O can hang 150 on us if they want to. I do imagine that LSU's 1st team D is better than AU's 3rd team tho.

I'm sure Ogre will tone that down some to around 45 or so ... then 007 can real off some "facts" to show how that LSU game wasn't as bad as another one under Mullen.

Might not be as bad. Auburn was motivated and on a mission after last year's showing in Starkville. Gus had 'em pumped up, not to mention they've got a pretty good team.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2019, 05:03 PM
Might not be as bad. Auburn was motivated and on a mission after last year's showing in Starkville. Gus had 'em pumped up, not to mention they've got a pretty good team.

I'm not sure it can get any worse than last night.

LSU will try to throw on us more & we'll be at home.

I think LSU wins 45-28 or so

Could be similar to the 2013 game

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 05:11 PM

I agree somewhat but if LSU really decides to whup us good ... we can't stop it. Either side of the ball. Not sure how good the LSU D is yet ... but I'm guessing it ain't too far of the AU D. AU D is more experienced tho and front 7 is more stout IMO.

ETA: After watching game film LSU may play "down" to us somewhat and it then appear to be closer than it really is.

yjnkdawg
09-29-2019, 05:35 PM

Yeah, I highly doubt too, that anyone will say that Burrow and the LSU receivers have not seen a defensive secondary like we have. If anybody says that then they probably need some psychological help. I hope it won't be , but that could be a record offensive night for Burrow and company. I would think that LSU's defense would be closer to Auburn 2 defense or maybe a little better, but like you said it is hard to tell right now. Coach O has definitely made some good decisions bringing Brady in to bring their offense into the modern rpo world, and also to hire John Robinson, former USC Head Coach, as a Senior Consultant.

TrapGame
09-29-2019, 05:41 PM
1. I (foolishly) didn't see that coming. I wasn't expecting a win, but I was expecting a competitive game. AU wanted that game and they wanted it to hurt. It did.

2. We were not prepared for the environment, some of that I can forgive. A lot of our young guys were baptized by fire, and it showed. That is fortunately something we can improve on. We played a lot of guys that have never been away for a SEC game. They got shocked and awed. This was a huge learning experience.

3. We seemed lost on D, part of it I think was being on the road, but so much of it was just being unprepared. Just saw on Twitter where Shoop owned up to it, I can respect that, but it has to be fixed. Theres no excuse for that poor of a showing. Shoop has his work cut out for him this season. We need the young guys to step up. The experience these young players are getting will payoff big time down the road.

4. There's no question that tutorgate had more of an impact than was previously thought, some of the blame has to be on those players. Autry and Gay back on defense and we aren't as piss poor as we think. Willie Gay is a hot head but he makes that defense hum when he's in there. In truth, Tutorgate probably cost us the KSU game.

5. I can see what Moorhead is trying to do, you can see spurts of it, but the question is can it be consistent. As of right now I don't think so, I feel like for us to win we have to play a physical brand of football which we had under Mullen. I really hope Moorhead proves me wrong on this, but I just don't see it right now. We are noticeably too soft. There are players who told members of this board that Joe is nowhere as hard on them as Mullen was. That's concerning.

6. At this point, you've just got to go with Shrader. He is going to be a special player at Mississippi State. Tommy getting injured makes me wonder if its something that lingered over from Penn State. Hate it for him, seems like a really good guy and a leader. Tommy needs to hold a clipboard the rest of the season. Great guy but not an SEC level QB.

7. We can't fire Moorhead after this year. Look at what has happened to Tennessee. We simply don't have the financial resources or tradition to be a revolving door and do what ever we want. It sucks, but it is what it is. I am also afraid that if Moorhead leaves, Shrader goes with him. I hope he is able to build something here. If Moorhead goes to say Towson I doubt very serious Shrader makes that dumb of decision. Joe going back to PSU is the only way I see Shrader leaving. But I think Joe is here through 2021 barring a complete and total cluster**** of a season in 2020.

8. I still think we go 7-5, we are much better than what we showed last night. I hope the coaches can get it out of them. I agree. I think we can go 7-5 but we'll be in dog fights with everyone else except Abilene. Even Tennessee could be a close one if we don't clean some stuff up over the bye.

As bad as yesterday was, I'll still be screaming like hell during every game from here on out, Hail State! Amen. I'm there with you. Great post.

h