PDA

View Full Version : The long awaited thread, addressing Mullen's failure in recruiting

Coach007
09-29-2019, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure there is an answer to what Mullen did in recruiting with an incoming staff. Lack of planning from previous staff on scholarship distribution by position is impacting this team along with the suspensions and we can all agree on that I think.

You would think he had to had researched the roster and seen that we would have gaps. But what could he have done? It's easy to say, "he should have recruited some DTS!"

What scholly are you throwing away to make room for? Are we reducing the amount of WRs? QBs? etc... What are we getting rid of to take 2 JUCOS that will be RS in the first months of a JoMo era?

What do you do in year 1 as a staff to add DTs? First full year of recruiting... What Juco are you able and willing to add? Same thing... it's a numbers game vs what we can actually get vs give up out of HS.

So Let's talk.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Well, we certainly could've signed 2 JUCO DTs instead of an ineligible punter & a JUCO RB that still hasn't practiced with the team.

That's just me though, perhaps that is unreasonable

Coach007
09-29-2019, 03:01 PM
Well, we certainly could've signed 2 JUCO DTs instead of an ineligible punter & a JUCO RB that still hasn't practiced with the team.

That's just me though, perhaps that is unreasonable

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=JuniorCollege&Position=DT

There is the link to the JUCOs... Which DTs?

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2019, 03:04 PM
https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=JuniorCollege&Position=DT

That's Joe's problem not mine.

You seriously don't believe there were any JUCO DT or grad transfers that he could've gotten?

We could play the "which one" every year in recruiting. His job is to get the 17ing job done. Not to make excuses

I see 5 or 6 DTs there that signed with worse teams that us. Why couldn't he get a few of those?

Todd4State
09-29-2019, 03:10 PM
Losing Brian Baker didn't help matters. Not saying we would have signed a JUCO or grad transfer any way- but we at least know that we have a quality coach in him.

Really Clark?
09-29-2019, 03:11 PM

Crawford at JCJC from Bay Springs would have at a min given us depth. He would have been the best option available to us and has had a nice beginning at VT

Really Clark?
09-29-2019, 03:12 PM
Losing Brian Baker didn't help matters. Not saying we would have signed a JUCO or grad transfer any way- but we at least know that we have a quality coach in him.

Agreed...that was and is a big issue.

Irondawg
09-29-2019, 03:15 PM
Remember we thought we could get Love cleared as well. That might have helped at least a little bit. We also tried to get the JUCO DT this year or last year that stuck with Minn.

Irondawg
09-29-2019, 03:16 PM
But we also didn't push for Patrick Lucas and I know he was getting PT as freshman - he may not have been a lick better than what we have, but might have been an option

Coach007
09-29-2019, 03:16 PM
That's Joe's problem not mine.

You seriously don't believe there were any JUCO DT or grad transfers that he could've gotten?

We could play the "which one" every year in recruiting. His job is to get the 17ing job done. Not to make excuses

I see 5 or 6 DTs there that signed with worse teams that us. Why couldn't he get a few of those?

Like savion??? Who cant even get the start at Tennessee??

maroonmania
09-29-2019, 03:17 PM

We did at least sign a transfer that we thought we could get immediately eligible, but, we picked a bad time to do that as the NCAA changed their hardship policy to make it more difficult to get immediately eligible. Bad part is now the NCAA says you have to be within 100 miles of home to get a hardship waiver. That rule kills us because there isn't much population within 100 miles of Starkville. Birmingham is apparently just outside the radius.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2019, 03:21 PM
We did at least sign a transfer that we thought we could get immediately eligible, but, we picked a bad time to do that as the NCAA changed their hardship policy to make it more difficult to get immediately eligible. Bad part is now the NCAA says you have to be within 100 miles of home to get a hardship waiver. That rule kills us because there isn't much population within 100 miles of Starkville. Birmingham is apparently just outside the radius.

That's a really bad rule because of that. It's a discriminatory rule against rule universities.

It means that Auburn & Alabama can get guys eligible from Birmingham & Ole Miss can get guys eligible from Memphis & MSU can't even guys eligible from Jackson.

It's a bad rule that needs to be adjusted.

Homedawg
Remember we thought we could get Love cleared as well. That might have helped at least a little bit. We also tried to get the JUCO DT this year or last year that stuck with Minn.

He wouldn't have helped. He's not good.

ShotgunDawg

Might've had Byron Young had Baker stayed.

Commercecomet24
09-29-2019, 03:26 PM
Might've had Byron Young had Baker stayed.

No Byron was going to bama. He wasn't coming to State

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2019, 03:29 PM
No Byron was going to bama. He wasn't coming to State

Well, we can thank games like last night for making that a desire for Mississippi kids

Commercecomet24
09-29-2019, 03:36 PM
Well, we can thank games like last night for making that a desire for Mississippi kids

Maybe for some but that wasn't the reason Byron didn't go to State.

Coach007
09-29-2019, 03:39 PM
But we also didn't push for Patrick Lucas and I know he was getting PT as freshman - he may not have been a lick better than what we have, but might have been an option

We have lot of DT Freshmen.

msugolf
09-29-2019, 03:43 PM
We have lot of DT Freshmen.

Too bad we don't have anyone who can develop them

Coach007
09-29-2019, 03:52 PM
Too bad we don't have anyone who can develop them

Based on?

Todd4State
09-29-2019, 03:55 PM
To me as far as big picture/recruiting goes especially with the d-line...

This year sort of reminds me of 2016. Although we're not as bad on defense especially with Gay and Autry in the lineup and will likely win more games and aren't as bad a team as we were in 2016.

We had some young talent on defense like Simmons, Leo Lewis, Mark McLaurin, and etc. and we also had Fitz as a sophomore who was doing some really good things.

We also knew that we had a lot of promising JUCO commits coming in like Sweat, Abrams, and etc.

So until we get the JUCO guys in we're going to have to take our lumps some this year- especially with Gay and Autry out- and hope that the JUCO's mostly pan out.

But the differences are there too. I highly doubt we have two future first round picks in our JUCO class on the defensive side of the ball. But at the same time I think we are about to put together a little more of a "complete" team than what we had in 2017 not to mention we probably won't be making a major scheme change between now and then although you never really know 1-2 years out either. In our 2016 recruiting class we failed at getting JUCO offensive talent along the o-line and at WR which would have really helped us out in 2017 and 2018.

A lot of fans think 2020 could be a rebuilding year- and it could be. But we won't really know until we see who all tries to go to the NFL and who stays. That's going to make as big of an impact as anything. I think 2021 could be a really good year for us though. Especially if we can find a really good RB and fill in the holes at LB between now and then.

Coach007
09-29-2019, 04:06 PM
To me as far as big picture/recruiting goes especially with the d-line...

This year sort of reminds me of 2016. Although we're not as bad on defense especially with Gay and Autry in the lineup and will likely win more games and aren't as bad a team as we were in 2016.

We had some young talent on defense like Simmons, Leo Lewis, Mark McLaurin, and etc. and we also had Fitz as a sophomore who was doing some really good things.

We also knew that we had a lot of promising JUCO commits coming in like Sweat, Abrams, and etc.

So until we get the JUCO guys in we're going to have to take our lumps some this year- especially with Gay and Autry out- and hope that the JUCO's mostly pan out.

But the differences are there too. I highly doubt we have two future first round picks in our JUCO class on the defensive side of the ball. But at the same time I think we are about to put together a little more of a "complete" team than what we had in 2017 not to mention we probably won't be making a major scheme change between now and then although you never really know 1-2 years out either. In our 2016 recruiting class we failed at getting JUCO offensive talent along the o-line and at WR which would have really helped us out in 2017 and 2018.

A lot of fans think 2020 could be a rebuilding year- and it could be. But we won't really know until we see who all tries to go to the NFL and who stays. That's going to make as big of an impact as anything. I think 2021 could be a really good year for us though. Especially if we can find a really good RB and fill in the holes at LB between now and then.

Not changing subjects to RBs, but Hill sucked it up yesterday in blocking

RocketDawg
09-29-2019, 04:10 PM
That's a really bad rule because of that. It's a discriminatory rule against rule universities.

It means that Auburn & Alabama can get guys eligible from Birmingham & Ole Miss can get guys eligible from Memphis & MSU can't even guys eligible from Jackson.

It's a bad rule that needs to be adjusted.

It's a good rule, but it may need to be adjusted for rural universities a bit, and especially ones like MSU that don't have a certain population within a 100 mile radius. There have been too many successful "hardship" cases lately.

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 04:10 PM
Not changing subjects to RBs, but Hill sucked it up yesterday in blocking

I didn't watch every play but saw one where he was squared up and could've really blocked a LB but instead dove at his ankles , LB stepped over him and sacked Shrader. If that's sucking it up then ...

ETA: Just in case you don't know and I'm pretty sure you don't ... if he hits that LB anywhere between the solar plexus and the thighs there might be some pain involved. Diving at his ankles always produces the result that happened but ... Hill avoids real contact so no pain involved. I'm a betting Hill knows that too. He's done it many times the last 2 years. If coaches haven't pointed that out yet ... they're sorry coaches.

ShotgunDawg
09-29-2019, 04:15 PM
It's a good rule, but it may need to be adjusted for rural universities a bit, and especially ones like MSU that don't have a certain population within a 100 mile radius. There have been too many successful "hardship" cases lately.

Agree. It's a good rule with good intentions but it needs to be adjusted.

The NCAA just needs to assign each school a metro area.

Auburn get Atlanta & Birmingham. Although downtown Atlanta is 108 miles away.

LSU gets NO & BR

Bama gets Birmingham

Ole Miss gets Memphis

Arkansas doesn't have one but should get to choose between Little Rock & Tulsa

And MSU should get to choose between Birmingham & Memphis

Something like that.

maroonmania
09-29-2019, 05:23 PM
He wouldn't have helped. He's not good.

Probably true but there are not that many JUCO DTs that make an impact their first year in the SEC unless they are like Sweat or Rivers and are coming through JUCO after being in a P5 program.

Bothrops
09-29-2019, 05:59 PM
I think Mullen was a little bewildered after his 2010 season when recruits weren't lining the halls to come here. I must admit I thought we'd do better. After a few cycles, Mullen seemed to have a cavalier attitude with recruiting. He also ignored the DL for 2 or 3 classes.

I seen it dawg
09-29-2019, 07:12 PM
Glad there was another thread which listed some specific things about players who are actually playing in games...somewhere on the board