PDA

View Full Version : Soft

BuckyIsAB****
09-29-2019, 11:01 AM
Moorhead is in as tough of a situation as any coach in the league is. Idk if I can ever remember a suspension situation like this where you decide when some of your best players can play based on something stupid that they did. It would almost be easier for him if they couldnt play at all. If you dont play them the team either thinks A. We have no shot or B. They suck so bad we dont need them. That is dangerous on both sides. I get all of that and any of you sitting on this board would struggle with it just like he is...

BUT all of that is 0 excuse for being unprepared and soft from the first snap of the game. The offense showed so much more fight than the defense did. MSU has never, ever been soft. Even when we lost to Maine it wasnt bc we were soft. Last night the defense looked like it wanted 0 part of that fight. We created a couple turnovers but that was when the game was long since decided. We are going to be ok on offense, Shrader is a gamer we are going to score enough points to get 7 regular season wins. But I am 100 percent concerned we are going to have to outscore everyone bc this shit on defense has to go. I dont care if you line them up and play country cover 3 every single play we cannot be soft. Blown coverages from a freshman corner is going to happen (he should play less than he is as a result) and Jones is not a physical player and never was. He is a good cover guy but even going back to NWR he isnt a big fan of tackling or setting the edge. In a 4-2-5 your corners are going to become your force edge players a lot more than the would in a 4-3 or 3-4. I dont understand what they are doing to get smitherman or Dantzler off the field but it is what it is. Dantzler has been terrible against the run this year as well and isnt a great tackler. Its a mindset. 10 is terrible and honestly I would put Brule or someone else in there. We know what 10 is at this point. The difference that Willie Gay makes on this defense cant be understated. He is one of the best players in the SEC and if you dont believe me watch us when he is in and watch when he is out.

The delay of game on the first play of the game is something I cant possibly fathom. As a coach, you know what the first play of the game is going to be on thursday. The team knows it in walkthrough and you run it. You have ran it 10 times before saturday and we cant do it. It is either intimidation or being totally unprepared. Either way its got to go. Moorhead has an awful habit of trying to outsmart everyone and football isnt like that. He is trying to call a perfect play every time and it works sometimes and other times it is rage inducing. Let them go play they will make you right more than not if they play hard. Yesterday was the biggest concern I have ever had for him. He is in a tough spot with the tutorgate but that has nothing to do with mentality or preparation level. I bet we beat UT and everyone will be ok but its going to be a shitshow on here for a while and I totally understand it after last night.

TrapGame
09-29-2019, 11:09 AM
We need to absolutely prison rape UT. No effing around. We cannot let this dumpster fire hang around and have a good game. This needs to be a massacre along the lines of last night with us playing the role of AU.

bluelightstar
09-29-2019, 11:11 AM
We need to absolutely prison rape UT. No effing around. We cannot let this dumpster fire hang around and have a good game. This needs to be a massacre along the lines of last night with us playing the role of AU.

What on earth gives you the idea we have the ability to do that?

BuckyIsAB****
09-29-2019, 11:11 AM

We will beat them

dantheman4248
09-29-2019, 11:14 AM
All you have to do to beat Moorhead’s playcalling on offense is call two defensive alignments at the snap. When they adjust, you adjust.

He tries to get a perfect play called every single time. As someone about half Joe’s age I’ll go ahead and say he coaches like a damn millennial who didn’t watch old school football ever. He doesn’t understand that a 6 play drive for 22 yards and then punting after 6 bruising runs is ok.

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 11:17 AM
All you have to do to beat Moorhead’s playcalling on offense is call two defensive alignments at the snap. When they adjust, you adjust.

He tries to get a perfect play called every single time. As someone about half Joe’s age I’ll go ahead and say he coaches like a damn millennial who didn’t watch old school football ever. He doesn’t understand that a 6 play drive for 22 yards and then punting after 6 bruising runs is ok.

LOL ... I was guessing you were close to a millennial. You starting to see more clearly tho ... so it's cool.

TrapGame
09-29-2019, 11:23 AM
What on earth gives you the idea we have the ability to do that?

Right now? Not a damn thing.

dantheman4248
09-29-2019, 11:26 AM
LOL ... I was guessing you were close to a millennial. You starting to see more clearly tho ... so it's cool.

I’m a millennial. And yea it’s just frustrating when you see the potential we have but then have to watch the stupidest easily fixable mistakes ruin us. As Ditka once said “No ****ing audibles.” That should be our motto going forward. Adhere to that and last night isn’t half as bad.

Quaoarsking
09-29-2019, 11:29 AM

Yeah that generation of coaches like Lincoln Riley, PJ Fleck, Mike Norvell, and Neal Brown sure is shitty.**

msbulldog
09-29-2019, 11:31 AM
Moorhead is in as tough of a situation as any coach in the league is. Idk if I can ever remember a suspension situation like this where you decide when some of your best players can play based on something stupid that they did. It would almost be easier for him if they couldnt play at all. If you dont play them the team either thinks A. We have no shot or B. They suck so bad we dont need them. That is dangerous on both sides. I get all of that and any of you sitting on this board would struggle with it just like he is...

BUT all of that is 0 excuse for being unprepared and soft from the first snap of the game. The offense showed so much more fight than the defense did. MSU has never, ever been soft. Even when we lost to Maine it wasnt bc we were soft. Last night the defense looked like it wanted 0 part of that fight. We created a couple turnovers but that was when the game was long since decided. We are going to be ok on offense, Shrader is a gamer we are going to score enough points to get 7 regular season wins. But I am 100 percent concerned we are going to have to outscore everyone bc this shit on defense has to go. I dont care if you line them up and play country cover 3 every single play we cannot be soft. Blown coverages from a freshman corner is going to happen (he should play less than he is as a result) and Jones is not a physical player and never was. He is a good cover guy but even going back to NWR he isnt a big fan of tackling or setting the edge. In a 4-2-5 your corners are going to become your force edge players a lot more than the would in a 4-3 or 3-4. I dont understand what they are doing to get smitherman or Dantzler off the field but it is what it is. Dantzler has been terrible against the run this year as well and isnt a great tackler. Its a mindset. 10 is terrible and honestly I would put Brule or someone else in there. We know what 10 is at this point. The difference that Willie Gay makes on this defense cant be understated. He is one of the best players in the SEC and if you dont believe me watch us when he is in and watch when he is out.

The delay of game on the first play of the game is something I cant possibly fathom. As a coach, you know what the first play of the game is going to be on thursday. The team knows it in walkthrough and you run it. You have ran it 10 times before saturday and we cant do it. It is either intimidation or being totally unprepared. Either way its got to go. Moorhead has an awful habit of trying to outsmart everyone and football isnt like that. He is trying to call a perfect play every time and it works sometimes and other times it is rage inducing. Let them go play they will make you right more than not if they play hard. Yesterday was the biggest concern I have ever had for him. He is in a tough spot with the tutorgate but that has nothing to do with mentality or preparation level. I bet we beat UT and everyone will be ok but its going to be a shitshow on here for a while and I totally understand it after last night.

Great post Bucky! Rep Given.

dantheman4248
09-29-2019, 12:00 PM
Yeah that generation of coaches like Lincoln Riley, PJ Fleck, Mike Norvell, and Neal Brown sure is shitty.**

Riley has access to blue blood talent pools. The receivers coming through OU right now are amazing. He should never leave that job because he’s set for life.

Fleck, Norvell, and Brown have not proven anything above a G5 level.

This is the SEC. We are a power run team. Imagine us trying to run Lincoln Riley’s offense with our players. Well you’re pretty much seeing it except we check with me every. single. play.

BuckyIsAB****
09-29-2019, 01:23 PM
Riley has access to blue blood talent pools. The receivers coming through OU right now are amazing. He should never leave that job because he’s set for life.

Fleck, Norvell, and Brown have not proven anything above a G5 level.

This is the SEC. We are a power run team. Imagine us trying to run Lincoln Riley’s offense with our players. Well you’re pretty much seeing it except we check with me every. single. play.

Oklahoma runs the ball as good as anyone. They arent finesse at all on offense. They make explosive plays but thats bc they have guys that can take a key screen and go 80 with it. They run counter as good as anyone I've seen

R2Dawg
09-29-2019, 01:34 PM

Now that is funny and probably sadly accurate too. Joe played too many football video games and spent too much time on game film study. Sometimes, it ain't real complicated but to Joe it is.

Coach007
09-29-2019, 01:54 PM

Nothing is going to change until we get next's years class in and these young guys become more seasoned... and I'm speaking defense. YOu can see a huge difference when you have Autry and Gay in. Changes up everything.

We need all of those Jucos and Love to come in and produce while the will be SOs continue to grow. We need those JUCO LBs to step up too.

Offense, for me is better than last year. Total yards is not what I am referring to. The concern for me is what we will have on the OL. They were slapped around last night. And we are all looking at the SECW, not the ones we should win. We want to take that next step.

timotheus
09-29-2019, 02:10 PM
overweight OL gets slapped around. hmmm

dantheman4248
09-29-2019, 04:10 PM
Oklahoma runs the ball as good as anyone. They arent finesse at all on offense. They make explosive plays but thats bc they have guys that can take a key screen and go 80 with it. They run counter as good as anyone I've seen

Yep. They’ve got Bama level talent. We don’t.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-29-2019, 04:36 PM
You guys realize the entire NFL, Bama, LSU, UGA, Oklahoma, etc do audibles, right? Literally all the top offenses have audibles, and almost all of them will sometimes look back at the coach who's changing the play. We did both under Dan too, though Dak was the only one who he trusted to audible themselves.

The problem isn't with either of them. It's with the lack of balance Joe has to the old school "Execute the play well and we don't have to outsmart them" hardnosed physical attitude. Also, the fact we seem to NEVER go fast gives the D an advantage because we're predictable and they expect to have time to get set.

I think we should have the QB be told "if the D lines up like A or B run the play immediately, if they ever line up like C or D audible to the backup play and snap it, and if they line up in any other formation look to me and I'll either change the play or tell you to snap it.". Every now and then tell him to go hurry up no matter the defensive alignment.

I don't think that would be too hard on the QB, and it would mean we sometimes snap the ball with 20 on the clock a the DC can't give a false look with the intention of changing the look when we do.

But again, it's not a case of "be physical" OR "check with me and try to outsmart them". Plenty of teams are smart and physical at the same time. Joe just cares about the X's and O's of football more than the actual game of football, which is why we don't play physical

dantheman4248
09-29-2019, 06:18 PM
You guys realize the entire NFL, Bama, LSU, UGA, Oklahoma, etc do audibles, right? Literally all the top offenses have audibles, and almost all of them will sometimes look back at the coach who's changing the play. We did both under Dan too, though Dak was the only one who he trusted to audible themselves.

The problem isn't with either of them. It's with the lack of balance Joe has to the old school "Execute the play well and we don't have to outsmart them" hardnosed physical attitude. Also, the fact we seem to NEVER go fast gives the D an advantage because we're predictable and they expect to have time to get set.

I think we should have the QB be told "if the D lines up like A or B run the play immediately, if they ever line up like C or D audible to the backup play and snap it, and if they line up in any other formation look to me and I'll either change the play or tell you to snap it.". Every now and then tell him to go hurry up no matter the defensive alignment.

I don't think that would be too hard on the QB, and it would mean we sometimes snap the ball with 20 on the clock a the DC can't give a false look with the intention of changing the look when we do.

But again, it's not a case of "be physical" OR "check with me and try to outsmart them". Plenty of teams are smart and physical at the same time. Joe just cares about the X's and O's of football more than the actual game of football, which is why we don't play physical

Oh for sure on the audibles. We just are so comically bad and easily beaten with a simple shift when we shift on O that it would be better right now to tear down all audibles and just run plays until we build confidence in these audibles.

I firmly believe that this offense can average 4 ypc against any run defense in the nation by just RTGDFB and not giving a shit what the oppponent lines up in. It ain’t pretty. It ain’t 200 IQ like Moorhead wants to be. But with the players we have it would be damn effective.