PDA

View Full Version : Got my foot off the bandwagon

TrapGame
09-29-2019, 10:23 AM
The signs are there. I like Joe but this may be way over his head. We looked like absolute shit last night. The penalties for stupid shit are inexcusable. I know we're young on defense but damn.

So, if we go into Tennessee after a bye week and look this shitty, or even remotely this shitty, against a dumpster fire like the Vols, I'm done with Joe completely.

Somebody hit on it in a thread last night and I think it's true: Joe is an OC that's a part time head coach. He needs to be the CEO and delegate the OC duties to someone who knows his system and he trusts. We need a head coach not an OC.

FriarsPoint
09-29-2019, 10:41 AM
What gets me and I’m still confused about it, obviously we weren’t attracting big name coaches. But you can’t tell me there weren’t good, experienced head coaches out there that wanted our job.

timotheus
09-29-2019, 10:44 AM
That's where the thought process of IB comes into play sir.

BrunswickDawg
09-29-2019, 10:53 AM
What gets me and I’m still confused about it, obviously we weren’t attracting big name coaches. But you can’t tell me there weren’t good, experienced head coaches out there that wanted our job.

When have we ever? In any sport. We have either had to take a risk on up and coming assistants, or take a risk on a retread. The only established, successful D1 HC I can think of that has been hired away from a job in my lifetime is John Cohen.

Tbonewannabe
09-29-2019, 10:54 AM

As far as a resume, Joe's wasn't too far off from Mullen. An up and coming Offensive Coordinator that was successful every where he has been. Hiring for the SEC is just a crap shoot. We had a good hire with Mullen but we could have just as well gotten someone like Chad Morris. You just don't know how quickly they will adapt if ever. It seems like our second choice was Pruitt so we honestly dodged a bullet there.

I currently don't think Joe is the right guy but I feel confident saying Pruitt would have had us in full force dumpster fire. I think Joe has to hire an actual OC or he won't last. Most great head coaches that call plays didn't start out like that. The learning curve is too steep to put playcallling duties on top of everything else.

Coursesuper
09-29-2019, 10:54 AM
Try to never get on a coaches bandwagon, just be on that of your school. Because the bullshit behind the hirings and firings would blow your mind, and you need wings to stay above that bullshit.

yjnkdawg
09-29-2019, 11:12 AM
Delete

yjnkdawg
09-29-2019, 11:12 AM
Try to never get on a coaches bandwagon, just be on that of your school. Because the bullshit behind the hirings and firings would blow your mind, and you need wings to stay above that bullshit.

Your thinking is probably too realistic and factual for some of the members of this board to comprehend at this time. However, I agree.

timotheus
09-29-2019, 11:19 AM
that is rich right there coursesuper

R2Dawg
09-29-2019, 01:12 PM
The signs are there. I like Joe but this may be way over his head. We looked like absolute shit last night. The penalties for stupid shit are inexcusable. I know we're young on defense but damn.

So, if we go into Tennessee after a bye week and look this shitty, or even remotely this shitty, against a dumpster fire like the Vols, I'm done with Joe completely.

Somebody hit on it in a thread last night and I think it's true: Joe is an OC that's a part time head coach. He needs to be the CEO and delegate the OC duties to someone who knows his system and he trusts. We need a head coach not an OC.

Got to agree with you there. 2 weeks to prepare for UT, we should look good and get the W; another Aub performance against UT and I'm done too. I'm on the edge right now but really want Joe to figure it out because that is best for MSU but I don't think he will change. We can't allow this to go too long like Croom.

Agree with others, getting a new coach is like a box of chockolates, you never know what you are gonna get. That is the path at MSU, get an up and comer coord or young HC.

TrapGame
09-29-2019, 01:28 PM
Got to agree with you there. 2 weeks to prepare for UT, we should look good and get the W; another Aub performance against UT and I'm done too. I'm on the edge right now but really want Joe to figure it out because that is best for MSU but I don't think he will change. We can't allow this to go too long like Croom.

Agree with others, getting a new coach is like a box of chockolates, you never know what you are gonna get. That is the path at MSU, get an up and comer coord or young HC.

This is on Cohen now. He needs a come to Jesus meeting with Joe about what is expected from a SEC head coach. We need another S&C coach and we need to go back to The Farm. Cohen to explain to Joe he's the HEAD COACH not a glorified offensive coordinator. I'd tell him to get an OC and concentrate on being THE head coach. And if I'm Cohen I tell him to fire Joey Jones. That m'fer is getting free money. Cohen will find himself on the hot seat if this hire goes farther south than it already has.

And if Joe refuses to do these things Cohen should be ready to move on from him in year three. And Cohen needs to go after an experienced, successful P5 head coach and be ready pay him very well to show him we are serious.

MetEdDawg
09-29-2019, 01:42 PM
This is on Cohen now. He needs a come to Jesus meeting with Joe about what is expected from a SEC head coach. We need another S&C coach and we need to go back to The Farm. Cohen to explain to Joe he's the HEAD COACH not a glorified offensive coordinator. I'd tell him to get an OC and concentrate on being THE head coach. And if I'm Cohen I tell him to fire Joey Jones. That m'fer is getting free money. Cohen will find himself on the hot seat if this hire goes farther south than it already has.

And if Joe refuses to do these things Cohen should be ready to move on from him in year three. And Cohen needs to go after an experienced, successful P5 head coach and be ready pay him very well to show him we are serious.

Doesn't Malzahn call plays? Wonder how he's able to win while calling plays.

R2Dawg
09-29-2019, 01:49 PM

He obviously knows how to do it way better than joe, Joe had 1.5 years and still no learned how. Time to put MSU first and not at the expense of training new coaches on the fly.

msstate7
09-29-2019, 01:50 PM

He just took back playcalling. Malzahn gave up playcalling for a few years

TrapGame
09-29-2019, 01:51 PM

Malzahn isn't trying to reinvent the wheel on every down.

timotheus
09-29-2019, 02:13 PM
Malzahn plays to his personnel and his whole O hinges on the QB and it looks as if Nix will be there for the long haul now. Joe seems to want to do something that has never been seen with human eyes and it's just simply making something simple into something way too complicated.

MetEdDawg
09-29-2019, 04:03 PM
Malzahn isn't trying to reinvent the wheel on every down.

Neither is Joe. But Malzahn's offense is complex and was innovative when he stepped into the SEC. He gave up play calling for a little and now has it back. Maybe it takes time to learn how to be a HC in the SEC. Crazy thought I know.

Guess folks still expect us to line up and our HC have everything in line no matter what all the damn time. We hired a coordinator. There are plenty of games Mullen shit the bed early in his career. But we didn't care because it couldn't be worse than what we came off of. And the SEC has changed substantially since Mullen became our HC.

I think Moorhead has a lot to work on. But I think he's getting a little unfair shake. Mullen got us to a spot. Moorhead was asked to improve that spot as a first time D1 HC. Not exactly an easy task. Joe is learning just like Mullen had to. Problem for Moorhead is he's expected to learn and win 8-9 games. Mullen just needed our teams to show a damn pulse and he was fine. Like I said. Moorhead has a lot to work on. I think he's adjusting some. Offense looks better with his QB. But he's gonna have to learn along the way because it's hit first time doing it.

Chances of us having a HC that doesn't have to learn some on the job are probably less than zero.

deadheaddawg
09-29-2019, 04:08 PM

So you are happy with us having a ceiling of 8-9 wins? That's what a "good experienced" head coach will bring us. They will keep us where we have been, but they will not elevate it.

If you want to elevate the program you have to roll the dice and get a coordinator/small school HC.....
Like Moorhead or Pruit

yjnkdawg
09-29-2019, 04:33 PM

Malzahn used to call all the plays and then he tried somebody else calling the plays, and now he is back to calling all the plays.

MaroonFlounder
09-29-2019, 04:38 PM
Attention-seeking bozos that have to announce that they are off the bandwagon or otherwise done with the football program....just leave. You don't have to announce it. You are just trying to bring others with you to try to build the momentum of the "fire Moorhead" crew.

Who really cares if you're off the wagon, and why do you think you're an influence?

Pollodawg
09-29-2019, 05:13 PM
When have we ever? In any sport. We have either had to take a risk on up and coming assistants, or take a risk on a retread. The only established, successful D1 HC I can think of that has been hired away from a job in my lifetime is John Cohen.

This. Hell, even sports we’re good at aren’t pulling in big names. Lemonis wasn’t a big name when he was announced. And he was certainly nothing like Cohen made it sound like he was after. He’s been good, tho, there’s that. And Howland was just a perfect storm.

Coursesuper
09-29-2019, 05:56 PM
This. Hell, even sports we’re good at aren’t pulling in big names. Lemonis wasn’t a big name when he was announced. And he was certainly nothing like Cohen made it sound like he was after. He’s been good, tho, there’s that. And Howland was just a perfect storm.

And our athletic department had no part of hiring Howland.

TrapGame
09-29-2019, 06:19 PM
Attention-seeking bozos that have to announce that they are off the bandwagon or otherwise done with the football program....just leave. You don't have to announce it. You are just trying to bring others with you to try to build the momentum of the "fire Moorhead" crew.

Who really cares if you're off the wagon, and why do you think you're an influence?

This is a message board. Get the message?

Asshole.

TrapGame
09-29-2019, 06:32 PM
Neither is Joe. But Malzahn's offense is complex and was innovative when he stepped into the SEC. He gave up play calling for a little and now has it back. Maybe it takes time to learn how to be a HC in the SEC. Crazy thought I know.

Guess folks still expect us to line up and our HC have everything in line no matter what all the damn time. We hired a coordinator. There are plenty of games Mullen shit the bed early in his career. But we didn't care because it couldn't be worse than what we came off of. And the SEC has changed substantially since Mullen became our HC.

I think Moorhead has a lot to work on. But I think he's getting a little unfair shake. Mullen got us to a spot. Moorhead was asked to improve that spot as a first time D1 HC. Not exactly an easy task. Joe is learning just like Mullen had to. Problem for Moorhead is he's expected to learn and win 8-9 games. Mullen just needed our teams to show a damn pulse and he was fine. Like I said. Moorhead has a lot to work on. I think he's adjusting some. Offense looks better with his QB. But he's gonna have to learn along the way because it's hit first time doing it.

Chances of us having a HC that doesn't have to learn some on the job are probably less than zero.

We hired a coordinator that had been a head coach at Fordham. It doesn't take an Einstein to realize being the head coach of a SECW team is completely different than being the head coach at Fordham. This isn't Fordham. He has to delegate more. Orgeron is a defensive coach at heart but he's letting Aranda do his thing. O is the head coach. Malzahn caught hell for being too much in the offensive side instead of the head coach. He gave up play calling but when the offense went sideways a little he came back. But, that time concentrating on being a head coach probably helped his program immensely.

I really do like Joe but as you have pointed out he has some work to do. Barring some kind of epic implosion I think Joe is with us through 2021. 2021 may be the year it all comes together on both sides of the ball and we could finish in the top 10.

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 06:36 PM
We hired a coordinator that had been a head coach at Fordham. It doesn't take an Einstein to realize being the head coach of a SECW team is completely different than being the head coach at Fordham. This isn't Fordham. He has to delegate more. Orgeron is a defensive coach at heart but he's letting Aranda do his thing. O is the head coach. Malzahn caught hell for being too much in the offensive side instead of the head coach. He gave up play calling but when the offense went sideways a little he came back. But, that time concentrating on being a head coach probably helped his program immensely.

I really do like Joe but as you have pointed out he has some work to do. Barring some kind of epic implosion I think Joe is with us through 2021. 2021 may be the year it all comes together on both sides of the ball and we could finish in the top 10.

We have an Einstein. What we need is a Lombardi, Bear, Saban, Dabo, etc.

HancockCountyDog
09-29-2019, 07:32 PM
I know we're young on defense but damn.

I?m not sure who is pumping this argument, but it?s just false.

Our top 4 DE?s are 2 seniors and 2 juniors.
Our top 6 Lbs, 5 are juniors or seniors, only one is a RS freshman, and he doesn?t play much
Our starting secondary is 3 seniors and two juniors, one of which is an all American candidate.
The only position remotely young is DT and that is a suspended senior, two redshirt freshman, and a sophomore and senior in the 4 and 5 spots as far as depth.

The defense is not young. The problem is that we aren?t that talented. The talent we do have is graduating or leaving for the NFL.

We have problems on defense, youth is not one one of them.

msugolf
09-29-2019, 07:43 PM

Our top 6 Lbs, 5 are juniors or seniors, only one is a RS freshman, and he doesn?t play much
Our starting secondary is 3 seniors and two juniors, one of which is an all American candidate.
The only position remotely young is DT and that is a suspended senior, two redshirt freshman, and a sophomore and senior in the 4 and 5 spots as far as depth.

The defense is not young. The problem is that we aren?t that talented. The talent we do have is graduating or leaving for the NFL.

Thank you for stating that. The youth excuse has been an overblown narrative by a few on here. Everyone plays freshmen and redshirt freshmen these days.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 09:34 AM

Our biggest issue is that DT is where we are forced to play freshmen and they are allowing teams to just blow up our Dline. I was hoping our DEs would play well but that isn't the case either. We are consistently losing the LOS and when that happens you are basically screwed on defense. AU basically was running at will because of the Dline but when we brought up LB to help then they just had a field day passing. We were damned if you do damned if you don't.