PDA

View Full Version : Shoop

dawgday166
09-28-2019, 10:38 PM
He's a damn good DC. There ain't 5 DCs that would've taken last year's team to #1 Nationally. Especially when our backend was depleted late in the year and when we played Bama. We had some studs but we didn't have Bama talent across the board. I love the way he calls his D too. Aranda one of the top 5 probably with LSU talent and he hasn't done it.

Combine the coaching exodus (especially S&C) from last year with tutor gate and an awfully young D with very little depth ... that's tough.

And now I'm thinking ... he may be in the exact same situation as he was at TN. Or at least one that may be heading in that direction somewhat rapidly. Butch was a helluva recruiter too. I hate it for Shoop if that is the case.

Bothrops
09-29-2019, 12:45 AM
From first to worst in one season. There is no improvement through 5 games...zero. I have my doubts that our players are worse than everyone else's playing this game.

ScoobaDawg
09-29-2019, 01:32 AM
Simple question. Is talent the problem or coaching. we are bringing in talent.. but even a 4 or 5 star needs coaching as a freshmen. we lost a hell of a DL coach. and I would agree on S&C. can this or should it be fixed. I'm not sure...

Coach007
09-29-2019, 01:40 AM
Simple question. Is talent the problem or coaching. we are bringing in talent.. but even a 4 or 5 star needs coaching as a freshmen. we lost a hell of a DL coach. and I would agree on S&C. can this or should it be fixed. I'm not sure...

I think it's just experience. 2 years with just this class will have us really deep and talented.

defiantdog
09-29-2019, 01:48 AM
Constant missed tackles is beyond S&C..... it’s being out of position. That’s on coaching..... these kids are constantly out of position. They are undisciplined, and they aren’t being shown proper placement on the field.

MetEdDawg
09-29-2019, 07:07 AM
Moorhead mentioned this in his press conference when they asked the team how many of them had never traveled to auburn dressed out before that close to 3/4 of the team raised their hand.

Experience is a massive factor here folks. Massive.

BrunswickDawg
09-29-2019, 07:10 AM

That DL coach seems to be not performing as well as his predecessors did at Bama. So is it talent or coaching?

Gordon Gekko
09-29-2019, 07:21 AM
Constant missed tackles is beyond S&C..... it’s being out of position. That’s on coaching..... these kids are constantly out of position. They are undisciplined, and they aren’t being shown proper placement on the field.

Our tackling is atrocious, especially in the open field. We take a lot of bad angles. It looks to me like we are either timid or indecisive or a combo.

msstate7
09-29-2019, 07:28 AM
That DL coach seems to be not performing as well as his predecessors did at Bama. So is it talent or coaching?

Dline or LBs? I thought bama's issue was LBs at the moment

BrunswickDawg
09-29-2019, 07:31 AM
Dline or LBs? I thought bama's issue was LBs at the moment

It's somewhat both. When was the last time you saw Bama give up 279 yards rushing? That ain't all on the LBs

msstate7
09-29-2019, 07:32 AM
It's somewhat both. When was the last time you saw Bama give up 279 yards rushing? That ain't all on the LBs

We better hope that was just Bama in coast mode. If they got 279 on Bama with Bama engaged, they may break 600 on us

BrunswickDawg
09-29-2019, 07:41 AM
We better hope that was just Bama in coast mode. If they got 279 on Bama with Bama engaged, they may break 600 on us

I didn't watch the whole game so I don't know how much was garbage time or how engaged Bama was. But you would think Bama was more engaged with OM then their OOC opponents. And it might have just been one of those days. But, Baker won't last long at Bama if this DL plays like they did yesterday.

Cooterpoot
09-29-2019, 08:42 AM
Bama gave up those yards once the game was well in hand. But anybody can run through our defense like shit through a tin horn. We are worse than OM was last year. I can?t see us winning a game on the road at all unless TN folds, and AC is the only win I?m willing to claim. We don?t compete.

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 08:56 AM
Constant missed tackles is beyond S&C..... it?s being out of position. That?s on coaching..... these kids are constantly out of position. They are undisciplined, and they aren?t being shown proper placement on the field.

When the other player is stronger, quicker, and faster than you cause they put in the work to get there ... then tackles will be missed. Some of it is also coaching, which leads directly to the position coaches although Shoop can take that over as DC.

I mostly believe it's S&C tho. Our Oline has struggled some against sub-par Olines earlier in year. Also, I've been scratching my head a little on guys that were really good tacklers last year not being anything like that this year. To me it has to be a combo of S&C and position coaches.

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 08:59 AM

Bama is starting 2 true FR on DL and Davis ... who has mostly underperformed his hype during his career IMO.

yjnkdawg
09-29-2019, 09:14 AM
From first to worst in one season. There is no improvement through 5 games...zero. I have my doubts that our players are worse than everyone else's playing this game.

Some people just don't realize what we lost on defense from last year. Shoop even said that he could not run the same defensive schemes that he did last year (100% attack mode) right now.

yjnkdawg
09-29-2019, 09:23 AM
Moorhead mentioned this in his press conference when they asked the team how many of them had never traveled to auburn dressed out before that close to 3/4 of the team raised their hand.

Yep and playing in Jordan- Hare at night in a loud hostile environment for the first time can be an eye opening experience.

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 09:27 AM

I agree on D side of ball.

On O side that isn't so with exception of QB. But Tommy is next Joe Montana so he should've handled it with ease. O side of ball hasn't been to Jordan-Hare but they have been to Death Valley which is as bad or worse.

Liverpooldawg
09-29-2019, 09:34 AM
We had three 1st rounders in the defense last year. The two on the line ate up a lot of blockers. When you have guys doing that it makes the other guys look better. They tackled better because they weren't getting blocked as often or as well.

tcdog70
09-29-2019, 09:48 AM
Are we worse than Tulane and Mercer on defense? Shit, they held Auburn to 24 points?

Coursesuper
09-29-2019, 09:59 AM
Bama gave up those yards once the game was well in hand. But anybody can run through our defense like shit through a tin horn. We are worse than OM was last year. I can?t see us winning a game on the road at all unless TN folds, and AC is the only win I?m willing to claim. We don?t compete.

"We don't compete." That small phrase says a lot now doesn't it. And it's pretty damned astute.

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 10:03 AM
Joe "talks" about competing all the time. To compete at this level you have to be tough ... and he doesn't coach toughness.

I believe he's on record that taking the team to "The Farm" isn't necessary. Maybe not but I loved it when Mullen did that cause we usually came out of there a tough team. 2014 is an example. I believe he did that in 2017 too.

chef dixon
09-29-2019, 11:27 AM
Jeffrey Simmons was the best CFB player in the country last year. Shoop is fine but we had absolute studs last year.

msstate7
09-29-2019, 12:22 PM
Jeffrey Simmons was the best CFB player in the country last year. Shoop is fine but we had absolute studs last year.

And Moorhead had the best offensive player in 2017, Barkley

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 12:25 PM
And Moorhead had the best offensive player in 2017, Barkley

Actually man for man ... Moorhead had far more talent during his tenure at PSU than Shoop had last year.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-29-2019, 12:36 PM
Actually man for man ... Moorhead had far more talent during his tenure at PSU than Shoop had last year.

idk PSU's OL was absolute trash. The Sandusky stuff killed the OL depth and it took a long time to get it up to par. Moorhead had a top 10 QB, #1 RB, top 3 TE, a top 15 WR, and some talented guys at WR behind that... but he did have one of the worst lines in the BIG 10

Shoop last year had: A top 3 DT, a top 3 DE, a top 3 S, a top 15 LB (gay), a top 15 CB (dantzler), and multiple other very good players who were veterans. Peters, McLaurin, Erroll, Green, Rivers, Hoyett, Thomas, even Rayford would be our 2nd best DB this year if he was able to come back.... That's a ton of talent and depth to support stars at every level.

All in all both had really good situations, but I think Shoop had it easier because he had the personnel to play with anyone. Our DBs shut down Bama's WR's, and our DL took over games, and our LBs could be used however we wanted. Moorhead at PSU at least had to figure out ways to get the ball outside the tackles so his OL couldn't screw it up

dawgday166
09-29-2019, 12:42 PM
idk PSU's OL was absolute trash. The Sandusky stuff killed the OL depth and it took a long time to get it up to par. Moorhead had a top 10 QB, #1 RB, top 3 TE, a top 15 WR, and some talented guys at WR behind that... but he did have one of the worst lines in the BIG 10

Shoop last year had: A top 3 DT, a top 3 DE, a top 3 S, a top 15 LB (gay), a top 15 CB (dantzler), and multiple other very good players who were veterans. Peters, McLaurin, Erroll, Green, Rivers, Hoyett, Thomas, even Rayford would be our 2nd best DB this year if he was able to come back.... That's a ton of talent and depth to support stars at every level.

All in all both had really good situations, but I think Shoop had it easier because he had the personnel to play with anyone. Our DBs shut down Bama's WR's, and our DL took over games, and our LBs could be used however we wanted. Moorhead at PSU at least had to figure out ways to get the ball outside the tackles so his OL couldn't screw it up

Ok ... I may buy into that somewhat. From a recruiting rankings standpoint tho ... our DBs were nothing special. They became special under Shoop/TBuck. But DL & LB did make QBs have to make much quicker decisions too. Plus ... we were fast and physical. Something we seem to have dropped of on this year with some of same DBs.

TrapGame
09-29-2019, 12:48 PM

We will be in a brawl with Ark and OM. Ark gave A&M all they wanted. That's the best they've played in to years. OM didn't back down from Bama. They didn't play scared. We have to go into Tennessee and break off in their ass. Soft, timid football will get us beat. Pruitt may be a dumbass but he wants a tough team and he tries to coach them to be tough.

R2Dawg
09-29-2019, 01:46 PM

Most said last year that we really wouldn't know about Shoop until this year because you would have to be inept not to field a good D last year. We know Shoop is decent at least. We were #1 in country on D, but a great DC, we don't really know yet. Having a similar equivalent of 2 graduations in one has certainly handicapped Shoop so I'm willing to cut him some slack but that last night can't happen again or I'm getting off the Shoop train.

NCDawg
09-29-2019, 04:26 PM

I'm afraid you are correct. We get pushed around too easy, get beat on pass coverage. and don't tackle well.