PDA

View Full Version : Wonder how many teams have a worse DL situation than us

Irondawg
09-28-2019, 09:38 PM
We?ve been a bit unfortunate to play veteran lines so far but we hardly ever win a 1:1 matchup

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-28-2019, 09:45 PM
The thing is our ends DID win 1:1 matchups last year. Adams, Jones, and Rivers all had theri names called more last year as backups than they have this year with significantly more playing time. And nobody can say "well simmons isn't drawing attention" as an excuse, because as you say our DEs are always being blocked by 1 person. You can't get less attention than 1:1 blocking and our guys disappear out there.

That's coaching. 3 veteran guys all playing worse than last year? Coaching, maybe S&C too. Deke has to go

Scared_Hitless
09-28-2019, 09:49 PM
The thing is our ends DID win 1:1 matchups last year. Adams, Jones, and Rivers all had theri names called more last year as backups than they have this year with significantly more playing time. And nobody can say "well simmons isn't drawing attention" as an excuse, because as you say our DEs are always being blocked by 1 person. You can't get less attention than 1:1 blocking and our guys disappear out there.

That's coaching. 3 veteran guys all playing worse than last year? Coaching, maybe S&C too. Deke has to go

100% S&C and Deke and Joey Jones need a look

Natedogg33
09-28-2019, 09:50 PM
Looks like we’re weak, got no guts, and there’s no leadership. I don’t think it’s a coaching deal so much as it is a personality deficiency.

Cooterpoot
09-28-2019, 09:56 PM
No one in P5 conferences.

Tbonewannabe
09-28-2019, 09:58 PM
100% S&C and Deke and Joey Jones need a look

I agree with this at a minimum. I will say that I think we upgraded at WR coach.

Bothrops
09-28-2019, 09:59 PM
Nobody is worse than us. We have the worst defense in the SEC. Worst front 7, worst secondary, worst effort...total garbage

MetEdDawg
09-28-2019, 09:59 PM

It helped that teams had to double Sweat and/or Simmons

Irondawg
09-28-2019, 10:22 PM
You do bring up a good point about last year and those guys winning some 1:1.

I wasn’t big on the Deke hire but I’m not 100% ready to fully blame him either. I just don’t think we have much talent there. Not sure what can be done about it either

Bothrops
09-28-2019, 10:39 PM
We lack talent on the DL but these guys aren't being pushed enough to improve from week to week. They are the best unit on the defense, however. The rest of the defense has been totally neglected.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-28-2019, 10:56 PM
It helped that teams had to double Sweat and/or Simmons

Teams double Simmons = OTs block DEs 1 on 1. That's what we have this year so Simmons doesn't account it.

Teams double Sweat = the other DE (Green, Kobe, Adams, whoever) gets 1 on 1s with the opposite OT.

Any way you slice it, every time we heard Adams or Jones or Rivers name getting called it meant they beat an OT at the very least. This year, they're being blocked 1:1 and yet don't get pressure with 3+ seconds of pass rush. They're worse any way you look at it. Even early in games before lack of depth winds them they do nothing

parabrave
09-29-2019, 10:44 AM
Teams double Simmons = OTs block DEs 1 on 1. That's what we have this year so Simmons doesn't account it.

Teams double Sweat = the other DE (Green, Kobe, Adams, whoever) gets 1 on 1s with the opposite OT.

Any way you slice it, every time we heard Adams or Jones or Rivers name getting called it meant they beat an OT at the very least. This year, they're being blocked 1:1 and yet don't get pressure with 3+ seconds of pass rush. They're worse any way you look at it. Even early in games before lack of depth winds them they do nothing

It's not that they are getting blocked but that they are getting there asses blown off the LOS. They had no penetration at all yesterday and for that matter every game so far. They are weak and are undisciplined and just plain bad. The staff must have known that we were not going to have Autry and Gay this year and I just want to know WTF did they do at practices during Fall practice. They sure as hell didn't hit or prepare for this. One thing is for certain is what we miss from Simmons and the other departed seniors is their leadership. JS would've never allowed the pisspoor tackling or the other crap to happen.

NCDawg
09-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Nobody is worse than us. We have the worst defense in the SEC. Worst front 7, worst secondary, worst effort...total garbage

I don't know whether "nobody is worse than us", but we got whipped soundly on the LOS, offensively and defensively, in both the Kansas State and Auburn games. Tennessee has had their problems also this year, but they lost a heartbreaker to BYU, and BYU beat USC, so Tennessee probably isn't as bad as we make them out to be. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tennessee beat us after the way we looked last night-a totally unprepared football team-very reminiscent of the Kentucky game last year.