PDA

View Full Version : I couldn't help but think of JoMo when I saw this stat....

HoopsDawg
09-27-2019, 09:07 PM
The QB sneak converts over 85% of the time in the NFL on 3rd and 1 when the QB is over 6'2. Normal running plays only convert at a 60% clip. And the QB sneak is not even in our arsenal b/c we NEVER go under center. Garrett Shrader is 6'4.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2019, 09:10 PM
The QB sneak converts over 85% of the time in the NFL on 3rd and 1 when the QB is over 6'2. Normal running plays only convert at a 60% clip. And the QB sneak is not even in our arsenal b/c we NEVER go under center. Garrett Shrader is 6'4.

It isn't in Mullen's arsenal either.

HoopsDawg
09-27-2019, 09:13 PM
It isn't in Mullen's arsenal either.

Yes it is. Damn dude, I feel like I've had to tell you this several times in the past. Mullen put in plays under center for Dak and others. We also ran QB sneaks.

It's so ridiculous to watch us take a knee at the end of the game out of the shotgun. That's bad coaching imo.

RocketDawg
09-27-2019, 09:18 PM

Probably a higher risk of the QB getting injured doing the sneak.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2019, 09:19 PM
Yes it is. Damn dude, I feel like I've had to tell you this several times in the past. Mullen put in plays under center for Dak and others. We also ran QB sneaks.

It's so ridiculous to watch us take a knee at the end of the game out of the shotgun. That's bad coaching imo.

I can probably count on my hand how many times we ran a QB sneak in the last decade. I personally think we should have it in the playbook but a lot of coaches don't do it. It isn't like Moorhead is the only one.

RocketDawg
09-27-2019, 09:19 PM

And loses rushing yards stats too, if that's important. Does taking a knee count as a sack?

HoopsDawg
09-27-2019, 09:31 PM
Probably a higher risk of the QB getting injured doing the sneak.

I'm sure it has happened before, but I can't remember a QB getting seriously injured on a sneak but I can definitely remember Fitz and many others getting hurt on QB runs. You can't really use that as an excuse when Joe ran Fitz 20 times a game last year.

msstate7
09-27-2019, 09:34 PM
I don't think qb sneaks are that dangerous. Brady and Brees are two of the best at it, and they do it all the time. If their coaches trust those guys on em, it's probably safe

Jarius
09-27-2019, 09:36 PM

I can’t count how many times Mullen ran qb power instead of sneaking on 3rd or 4th and short. I can count on Bob Carskadon’s hand how many times he used a qb sneak under center at MSU over a 9 year period. It was not what he did on any sort of regular basis. You are being obtuse.

HoopsDawg
09-27-2019, 09:38 PM
I can?t count how many times Mullen ran qb power instead of sneaking on 3rd or 4th and short. I can count on Bob Carskadon?s hand how many times he used a qb sneak under center at MSU over a 9 year period. It was not what he did on any sort of regular basis. You are being obtuse.

Ok Warden Norton.

Todd4State
09-27-2019, 09:40 PM
QB sneaks are a situational play obviously used for short yardage so it's not surprising that it has a high success rate.

Jarius
09-27-2019, 09:42 PM
Put your trust in the lord. Your ass belongs to me.

msstate7
09-27-2019, 09:42 PM
QB sneaks are a situational play obviously used for short yardage so it's not surprising that it has a high success rate.

If a play works at 85% on 3rd and 1, it should be in every playbook imo

HoopsDawg
09-27-2019, 09:43 PM

85% in the NFL. College is probably higher. I'm just making the simple, I would think uncontroversial, point that the sneak is a good weapon to have. Unfortunately, we dont. I sure would have liked having it in the bowl game last year.

Jarius
09-27-2019, 09:45 PM
There is a much higher chance that a team will fumble the snap if they never go under center and then change it up and go under center just for that. I disagree with not running anything in your normal playbook outside of a qb sneak under center, but that is the reasoning.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2019, 09:51 PM
85% in the NFL. College is probably higher. I'm just making the simple, I would think uncontroversial, point that the sneak is a good weapon to have. Unfortunately, we dont. I sure would have liked having it in the bowl game last year.

I believe most coaches reason is taking snaps in either the shotgun or pistol is their primary way to snap the football. Going under center when you rarely do it leads to an increase in the chance for a fumble. Mullen almost always goes 4 or 5 wide and runs a QB power. I haven't watched Moorhead enough to recognize his tendency but I am guessing he just runs that same type of RPO.

I don't know if it leads to increased fumbles but I would like the option anyway if I was a coach.

DancingRabbit
09-27-2019, 10:02 PM
College pro style offenses will obviously use QB under center sneaks. Most spread offenses will not.

It's partly a function of practice time. In the pros, that's not an issue.

I've heard it explained, and it may have been Dan, that in these critical goal line situations you don't want your QB doing something out of the ordinary. Snap exchange problems, linemen step on QBs feet, there's no surprise unless you run up and do it quick which sounds dicey. Main idea is you're better off doing what you do a lot of, that you do well.

DownwardDawg
09-27-2019, 10:05 PM
If only Mullin would have tried this from time to time. Used to drive me crazy.

Ari Gold
09-28-2019, 09:33 AM

Fire JoMo....****

Tbonewannabe
09-28-2019, 09:48 AM
Fire JoMo....****

That is pretty much the gist of it. Let's look for any reason but ignore the fact that the results so far are similar to Mullen who we now idolize even though he was trying to leave every damn year for 7 years.

msstate7
09-28-2019, 09:51 AM
That is pretty much the gist of it. Let's look for any reason but ignore the fact that the results so far are similar to Mullen who we now idolize even though he was trying to leave every damn year for 7 years.

Never fails... any criticism of Moorhead is met immediately by you with the poster wants Moorhead fired and bring up Mullen. NO ONE posts the name "mullen" more than you, but you seem to want everyone to move on, weird

Tbonewannabe
09-28-2019, 10:24 AM
Never fails... any criticism of Moorhead is met immediately by you with the poster wants Moorhead fired and bring up Mullen. NO ONE posts the name "mullen" more than you, but you seem to want everyone to move on, weird

It is because everything Moorhead does is done in comparison to him. You do it all the damn time. I will be happy to make a deal with you. I won't mention Mullen in anyway when it comes to our current team and you do the same. Deal?

msstate7
09-28-2019, 10:30 AM
It is because everything Moorhead does is done in comparison to him. You do it all the damn time. I will be happy to make a deal with you. I won't mention Mullen in anyway when it comes to our current team and you do the same. Deal?

Man, if I feel a comparison is warranted, I'll post it. I don't care that you compare them. No, I won't make that agreement bc I don't like limiting what posters wanna post about.

yjnkdawg
09-28-2019, 11:05 AM

This. I heard that when he was trying to assemble his original staff at MSU, he told the ones that he was interested in that we will stay here a few years, and win a few bowl games and then we will move on to a real football school. I also heard that this did not go over good with one that he wanted to hire, because he thought better of MSU than this. Now whether the ones down on JoeMo as our HC believe this happened, I could care less.

yjnkdawg
09-28-2019, 11:23 AM

I think almost everybody on here would agree with that. So say as much about DM as you want. It works both ways.

Man, nobody on a message board with over 53,000 posts is going to limit anything on what subject(s) they can post on.

HoopsDawg
09-30-2019, 11:52 AM
Fire JoMo....****

good post, i agree. See what I mean about the QB sneak?????

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 12:10 PM

Hell, I would have been glad for the 5 wide QB power that Mullen liked to run. That bullshit look at me play was enough for me. Moorhead has a lot of ground to make up for me to get back on the wagon.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 12:11 PM

Double post but I will add that a college QB and Center should be able to snap from under center. That reason of we always go out of the shotgun is a weak excuse.

NCDawg
09-30-2019, 12:32 PM
I don't think qb sneaks are that dangerous. Brady and Brees are two of the best at it, and they do it all the time. If their coaches trust those guys on em, it's probably safe

They aren't dangerous, and it's stupid in my opinion not to use the QB sneak. In the Auburn game, we were about 3 inches from the goal line and what do we do? We go with the "check with me" delay before snapping the ball, the crowd is loud, an OL jumps and we get penalized 5 yards and end up fumbling the ball to Auburn.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 12:38 PM
They aren't dangerous, and it's stupid in my opinion not to use the QB sneak. In the Auburn game, we were about 3 inches from the goal line and what do we do? We go with the "check with me" delay before snapping the ball, the crowd is loud, an OL jumps and we get penalized 5 yards and end up fumbling the ball to Auburn.

I am not sure if Joe understands that sometimes in the SEC, you have to play big boy football and punch someone in the mouth.

msstate7
09-30-2019, 12:58 PM
I am not sure if Joe understands that sometimes in the SEC, you have to play big boy football and punch someone in the mouth.

You sound disgruntled. Am I gonna have to flip stances on joe to continue our arguing? Haha

TrapGame
09-30-2019, 01:12 PM

I think this is a big concern.

Tbonewannabe
09-30-2019, 02:09 PM
You sound disgruntled. Am I gonna have to flip stances on joe to continue our arguing? Haha

Probably, if he has a merry flipmas that would be it. I will say that he gets this year but anything less than 7 wins should be a damn boiling seat. I appreciate beating up on shit teams but just not competing at all against the good teams has worn on me. He looks like a deer in headlights in big games and it spills over to the team.