PDA

View Full Version : Where were you 20 years ago when we travelled to the Plains?

StarkVegasSteve
09-27-2019, 12:51 PM
Copied this from SPS, but an interesting thread since it's been 20 years. I was a young kid screaming at the TV for the first 55 minutes of the game that we needed to wake up. The last 5 minutes may have been as lucky as I've ever seen a Mississippi State team get in my entire life. I've never been so elated to win a game, until Kentucky a couple of weeks later, and no I still have no 17'n idea how Matthew Butler caught that football.

Todd4State
09-27-2019, 12:54 PM
I was there. In the yes- band. We didn't want to make the trip because it was Auburn- we want to go places like NOLA and Nashville- plus we had to play at a high school marching band competition later that day in Georgia.

Let's just say that trip greatly exceeded expectations.

The funny thing was in my head I concocted some way that we could come back. And it pretty much happened like I said it would. Literally the ONLY time that has ever happened in my fanhood.

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2019, 01:32 PM
I was there. In the yes- band. We didn't want to make the trip because it was Auburn- we want to go places like NOLA and Nashville- plus we had to play at a high school marching band competition later that day in Georgia.

Let's just say that trip greatly exceeded expectations.

The funny thing was in my head I concocted some way that we could come back. And it pretty much happened like I said it would. Literally the ONLY time that has ever happened in my fanhood.

Few things are better than a wild win on the Plains. I was at the 1991 game.

Pinto
09-27-2019, 02:03 PM
I was there. Upper deck on the end we scored the TD. I was pissed and telling my friends "let's go". My buddy said, "No, we're going to stay and watch it through". Biggest thing I remember was after we won, everyone was running around hugging anyone else in maroon. Our whole MSU section went nuts. The walk down the ramp was so much fun as well. People cheering, laughing, high fiving, and hugging anyone in maroon. Another one of the guys I was with almost got punched by an AU chick on the way to the car. She was so pissed and he just kept riding her about the game and her being pissed. So funny. We had an awesome time in town the night before and for sure the night after the game. One of the best road trips we took in college.

Todd4State
09-27-2019, 02:06 PM
I was there. Upper deck on the end we scored the TD. I was pissed and telling my friends "let's go". My buddy said, "No, we're going to stay and watch it through". Biggest thing I remember was after we won, everyone was running around hugging anyone else in maroon. Our whole MSU section went nuts. The walk down the ramp was so much fun as well. People cheering, laughing, high fiving, and hugging anyone in maroon. Another one of the guys I was with almost got punched by an AU chick on the way to the car. She was so pissed and he just kept riding her about the game and her being pissed. So funny. We had an awesome time in town the night before and for sure the night after the game. One of the best road trips we took in college.

Yep. For me the only other road experiences that compare (that I've been to) are LSU 2014 and Ole Miss 1998. Distant fourth- Arkansas 2015.

MedDawg
09-27-2019, 02:34 PM
Copied this from SPS, but an interesting thread since it's been 20 years. I was a young kid screaming at the TV for the first 55 minutes of the game that we needed to wake up. The last 5 minutes may have been as lucky as I've ever seen a Mississippi State team get in my entire life. I've never been so elated to win a game, until Kentucky a couple of weeks later, and no I still have no 17'n idea how Matthew Butler caught that football.

I was at my kid's birthday party in a tae kwon do studio in Ridgeland. I swear I was watching the game on my phone but now I wonder if I could have done that in 1999?

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2019, 02:38 PM
My first game on the Plains. My girlfriend at the time (now my wife) sat right behind the band. At one point some asshole Auburn fan came down and was trying to point out someone having a cowbell. We just passed the bell down the row and hide it. Glad to help save someone's bell.

So we had ridden to the game with 3 guys sitting in the upper deck. I never leave a game early, all my friends know this. This includes the 50 point beatdown at UF and all the other shit shows that I have sat through. So at the end when we threw the Int, my wife says lets just go. I said we need to stay through the next series and if it was a 3 and out then we would stay. So then the magnificence happened and we are hugging and high fiveing everyone in maroon. We go outside and our friends have taken down the barricade at the stadium and driven his Toyota 4runner onto the sidewalk in front of the stadium. They are playing Bad to the Bone and ringing cowbells as we walk out. Of course you can't do that now but it was hilarious back then.

Todd4State
09-27-2019, 02:38 PM
I was at my kid's birthday party in a tae kwon do studio in Ridgeland. I swear I was watching the game on my phone but now I wonder if I could have done that in 1999?

Probably not. I didn't get a cell phone until 2-3 years after that so I'm guessing that was the flip phone era?

I definitely used to call my parents collect in college all four years at MSU.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2019, 02:39 PM

I don't believe you could have done that in 1999. You were probably listening to the perfection that was Jack Cristal.

timotheus
09-27-2019, 03:33 PM
Yep. For me the only other road experiences that compare (that I've been to) are LSU 2014 and Ole Miss 1998. Distant fourth- Arkansas 2015.

I hugged lots of folks that day! we sure got ugly looks later that night in town as we dined with our maroon on. #hailstate

R2Dawg
09-27-2019, 03:44 PM

I was in Alabama but not at game. I didn't turn the TV off either. Maybe best comeback win in history. Stands were empty as Auburn thought it was over and went to celebrate. I bet those Aub fans will never forget that game.

Also remember that 97 game, we manhandled Aub that day 20-0 (Aub won SECW that year BTW).

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2019, 03:50 PM
I was in Alabama but not at game. I didn't turn the TV off either. Maybe best comeback win in history. Stands were empty as Auburn thought it was over and went to celebrate. I bet those Aub fans will never forget that game.

Also remember that 97 game, we manhandled Aub that day 20-0 (Aub won SECW that year BTW).

For everyone that bitches about too many bowls, it is a travesty that the 97 team didn't get to go to a bowl. I can still feel the gut punch of that 2 point conversion.

FriarsPoint
09-27-2019, 03:59 PM
In the stands.

biggun
09-27-2019, 04:09 PM
For everyone that bitches about too many bowls, it is a travesty that the 97 team didn't get to go to a bowl. I can still feel the gut punch of that 2 point conversion.

Amen!

R2Dawg
09-27-2019, 04:35 PM

Me too. That 97 team was better than half the bowl teams. Ole miss went bowling that year at 6-6. We were 7-5 with some good wins on resume, and yep a few bad losses.

shoeless joe
09-27-2019, 04:40 PM
In my living room watching on JP sports, as a teen, and going nuts when butler made the catch. I lived and died with the team in those days. A lot has changed in a lot of ways in the last 20 yrs.

Todd4State
09-27-2019, 04:51 PM
Me too. That 97 team was better than half the bowl teams. Ole miss went bowling that year at 6-6. We were 7-5 with some good wins on resume, and yep a few bad losses.

I'm pretty sure Ole Miss had seven wins too.

But our losses that year weren't that bad- LSU, Georgia on the road, Arkansas on the road, and Ole Miss. All of those teams had winning records except Arkansas. And as we all know LSU and Arkansas were not in the three games that Jackie could get a team to play up for.

redstickdawg
09-27-2019, 05:30 PM
I had just gotten home from my Father's funeral, it had been an incredibly tough time. I had to watch with the TV on mute as my 2 older kids were napping and we were in a hotel room. Didn't hear the call of the game until later, a bittersweet memory.

MedDawg
09-27-2019, 05:50 PM

I remember now--I DID sneak watch it during that birthday party--on a little handheld TV. Wasn't a Sony Watchman, but it was like that (and cheaper). It was shaped like a flat cone, tapering towards the bottom so easier to hold, with maybe a 2" screen at the top. I watched the game over the airwaves from a Jackson station. I remember thinking it was kind of cool I was able to to see the game and avoid trouble with the wife.

Cowbeller
09-27-2019, 06:15 PM
In the crib innocent before I knew the heartbreak of Mississippi State

robert
09-27-2019, 06:25 PM
I was there...dull game until Dogs came alive in 4th qtr. So excited after the win, forgot where I parked.

RocketDawg
09-27-2019, 07:34 PM
I listened to it on the radio. Couldn't believe what was happening.

mparkerfd20
09-27-2019, 08:05 PM

It was even worse than that. We only played 11 game seasons back then and were 7-4. 7-4 Ole Miss went bowling instead and then beat Marshall in their bowl game. That 97 team was probably as good if not better than the 98 team that went to the SEC Championship.

Todd4State
09-27-2019, 08:19 PM
It was even worse than that. We only played 11 game seasons back then and were 7-4. 7-4 Ole Miss went bowling instead and then beat Marshall in their bowl game. That 97 team was probably as good if not better than the 98 team that went to the SEC Championship.

1998 was better IMO

Commercecomet24
09-27-2019, 08:23 PM
I was at my office having to work and watching the game on an old black and white tv lol. It was hard to control myself during that comeback. If I'm not mistaken that was the game our punter Jeff Walker decked someone on a punt return and then was talking smack. Dude was big and tough not your average punter.

RC3
09-27-2019, 08:52 PM
Pledge retreat to Tupelo. We were volunteers at a horse farm but got to watch the end of the game