PDA

View Full Version : JoMo Can Win Me Over Saturday Night

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 09:18 AM
Yup, I just said it.

JoMo can win me over vs Auburn.

I know I'm bi-polar so hold that joke, but something happened to me in the 2nd quarter vs Kentucky. I felt the cool, fresh air of Shrader, looked at our OL depth, looked at our RB commits, & then looked at our current WRs along with the committed WRs, looked at our young DBs along with those committed, & looked at the young DL & I said "Damn" we are going to win a lot of games with these dudes.

That being said, unless the NCAA & the college Prezs get their heads out of their asses on football scholarships, there is no way we can field a team that has anywhere near the amount of total talent that the blue bloods have & thus MSU must have a coach that is capable of getting players to play above their ability & a knack for clever strategy that gives us a chance.

Saturday night Joe has that chance & MSU has nothing to lose. I need to know that win or lose Saturday night, Joe is capable of getting players to execute & play above themselves on the road.

I think Joe is a solid coach that will definitely prevent our program from bottoming out, but I'm on the fence about whether or not he is the "THE GUY".

Nothing that happens on Saturday can really destroy my hope in him, but finding a way to score points & taking Auburn deep into the 4th quarter with a legitimate chance to win would go an awful long way on helping me believe the Joe is the "THE GUY" that can take us to new heights.

This is the type of game where great coaching will show. I want to see it.

I want to see all that beautiful shit Joe draws on the white board equate into actually points on the scoreboard against a really good defense.

TrapGame
09-26-2019, 09:28 AM
If Joe coaches a win Saturday night everyone should take a deep breath and get back on board.

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 09:31 AM
If Joe coaches a win Saturday night everyone should take a deep breath and get back on board.

He doesn't even have to win. Just put together a hellacious game plan along with the team executing at a high level.

A good coach doesn't get blown out here. He finds a way to give his team a chance.

Dental Dawg33
09-26-2019, 09:40 AM
I have been team JoMo the whole way. But, I would like to see a disciplined, minimally penalized team that goes out and executes. Can we win? Yes. The odds are not in our favor, but a good solid game with everyone giving 100% effort and executing at a high level will make me happy. (No I'm not ok with losing, but can stomach it if we look competent) KSU was tough to swallow, but they are far from a bad team and even with injuries/suspensions and a true freshman playing the second half we had a chance to win in the end. Disciplined, clean ball and this team can win some games this year even during a rebuild.

Cooterpoot
09-26-2019, 09:41 AM
Why does he need to win you over? I’m all for questioning things, but he doesn’t have to win me over. There are a number of things I question, but until we completely shit the bed, fans shouldn’t be completely off the wagon. Lose to one of the bottom feeders like AR and we’d have a problem. But we’re in a two year rebuild right now. And with Shrader as our future in an offense he’s familiar with, along with a number of better WRs coming in, it’d be smart not to jump off the wagon. There’s a big difference in having concerns and turning your back. I’m going to say what I think, but keep winning 7+ games and I’m not jumping ship. Now, he can shut my mouth by by winning the easy ones and sneaking a couple unexpected wins in. KSU was marginal loss that stings. Can’t have many of those in the future.

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 09:46 AM
Why does he need to win you over? I’m all for questioning things, but he doesn’t have to win me over. There are a number of things I question, but until we completely shit the bed, fans shouldn’t be completely off the wagon. Lose to one of the bottom feeders like AR and we’d have a problem. But we’re in a two year rebuild right now. And with Shrader as our future in an offense he’s familiar with, along with a number of better WRs coming in, it’d be smart not to jump off the wagon. There’s a big difference in having concerns and turning your back. I’m going to say what I think, but keep winning 7+ games and I’m not jumping ship. Now, he can shut my mouth by by winning the easy ones and sneaking a couple unexpected wins in. KSU was marginal loss that stings. Can’t have many of those in the future.

- He doesn't need to win me over. I'm nothing but a fan. That being said, bringing hope of bigger & better things will go a long way in winning over the fan base.

- He has completely shit the bed. He shit the bed vs KY in 2018, LSU in 2018, Iowa in 2018, & K-State in 2019.

- I get that this isn't our best roster, but I don't think we are in a rebuild.

- Getting blown out Saturday night would be very concerning to me. I want to see more out of JoMo. I'm good with a few inexplicable losses if combined with that we get the upside of winning big games. I'm good with that trade off.

Irondawg
09-26-2019, 09:48 AM
My worst-case fear it this:

On offense they play 8 in the box to take away Hill and play press man coverage to take away all short routes we've used a bunch to get the ball out of GS hands. We'll try to hit some home runs as a result and not connect and as a result we just look overmatched.

On defense all those run plays KY was ripping for 10 plus yards on the edge become even bigger plays and we simply can't shut them down. Meaning we don't even force Nix to beat us but b/c they run at will they throw in a HB pass or flea flicker as they always do and we don't have a player in the screen.

Maybe it's the pessimist in me but for some reason I'm really worried about us looking back .

But as you say - Joe has the boys ready to play and just gives us a chance and I think everyone should be fully on board with him.

BB30
09-26-2019, 09:49 AM
Yup, I just said it.

I know I'm bi-polar so hold that joke, but something happened to me in the 2nd quarter vs Kentucky. I felt the cool, fresh air of Shrader, looked at our OL depth, looked at our RB commits, & then looked at our current WRs along with the committed WRs, looked at our young DBs along with those committed, & looked at the young DL & I said "Damn" we are going to win a lot of games with these dudes.

That being said, unless the NCAA & the college Prezs get their heads out of their asses on football scholarships, there is no way we can field a team that has anywhere near the amount of total talent that the blue bloods have & thus MSU must have a coach that is capable of getting players to play above their ability & a knack for clever strategy that gives us a chance.

Saturday night Joe has that chance & MSU has nothing to lose. I need to know that win or lose Saturday night, Joe is capable of getting players to execute & play above themselves on the road.

I think Joe is a solid coach that will definitely prevent our program from bottoming out, but I'm on the fence about whether or not he is the "THE GUY".

Nothing that happens on Saturday can really destroy my hope in him, but finding a way to score points & taking Auburn deep into the 4th quarter with a legitimate chance to win would go an awful long way on helping me believe the Joe is the "THE GUY" that can take us to new heights.

I want to see all that beautiful shit Joe draws on the white board equate into actually points on the scoreboard against a really good defense.

Until we lose again and then you will have some long post about how JOMO isn't the guy for us and won't be able to get it done here ha ha. It's the Mississippi State Football life cycle of ShotgunDawg.

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 09:53 AM
Until we lose again and then you will have some long post about how JOMO isn't the guy for us and won't be able to get it done here ha ha. It's the Mississippi State Football life cycle of ShotgunDawg.

Perhaps your right.

Would go along way in knowing that Joe is capable of winning this type of game though

shoeless joe
09-26-2019, 10:00 AM
In order to “win me over” I wanna see a program run at a high standard. I feel like that is done in some ways with jomo but not in all ways. Mainly discipline and on field expectations. We allow things that your championship level programs do not allow. I said the other day that this his teams remind me of freeze’s shark teams.

I believe all these things are a result of the type of coach that jomo is. He could make adjustments but at the end of the day it is who he is...which is why I’m not excited about him. Unlike some tho I’d gladly be wrong and see the team be successful. I am happy with the recruiting side so I’m ok being patient. But the embarrassing on field antics have to stop.

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 10:04 AM
I mean guys... Auburn scored 24 points on Tulane.

Why can't we hold them to a similar amount?

I want to see what JoMo & Shoop can do here

BrunswickDawg
09-26-2019, 10:11 AM
I have been team JoMo the whole way. But, I would like to see a disciplined, minimally penalized team that goes out and executes. Can we win? Yes. The odds are not in our favor, but a good solid game with everyone giving 100% effort and executing at a high level will make me happy. (No I'm not ok with losing, but can stomach it if we look competent) KSU was tough to swallow, but they are far from a bad team and even with injuries/suspensions and a true freshman playing the second half we had a chance to win in the end. Disciplined, clean ball and this team can win some games this year even during a rebuild.

Did you know that we are the 2nd least penalized team in the SEC right now? Both in number of penalties and in yards per game

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 10:13 AM
Did you know that we are the 2nd least penalized team in the SEC right now? Both in number of penalties and in yards per game

True. I just can't get the number of false starts at KY last year out of my head

TrapGame
09-26-2019, 10:26 AM
I mean guys... Auburn scored 24 points on Tulane.

Why can't we hold them to a similar amount?

I want to see what JoMo & Shoop can do here

IIRC, Tulane blitzed the hell out of Nix. Tulane's defense was very aggressive.

KOdawg1
09-26-2019, 10:43 AM
IIRC, Tulane blitzed the hell out of Nix. Tulane's defense was very aggressive.
We have to force Nix to throw the ball. Stack the box, blitz like hell, and get after him. If he beats us, he beats us, but we need to make it priority #1 to stop the run

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 10:44 AM
We have to force Nix to throw the ball. Stack the box, blitz like hell, and get after him. If he beats us, he beats us, but we need to make it priority #1 to stop the run

I agree. If Nix goes 18-25 for 250+ on Saturday night, I'll tip my hat & say good game.

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2019, 11:05 AM
We ain't beating Auburn on the road. We wouldn't beat them at home either. I hope I'm wrong but just stay grounded in reality and you won't be so bipolar.

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 11:07 AM
We ain't beating Auburn on the road. We wouldn't beat them at home either. I hope I'm wrong but just stay grounded in reality and you won't be so bipolar.

I don't get this opinion. There just isn't much evidence to support this

TrapGame
09-26-2019, 11:28 AM

Nix thus far has shown he can't hit the broadside of barn (is that punny?) Blitz him relentlessly. Load the box.

I agree. If Nix goes 18-25 for 250+ on Saturday night, I'll tip my hat & say good game.

Yep. If Nix has a great night throwing so be it. I'll agree AU has their QB.

"Gloom, despair, agony on me..." We could very well lose this game, odds are stacked against us, but until we do I ain't conceding.

I don't get this opinion. There just isn't much evidence to support this

Me either. AU's offense is their weakness. They are one dimensional without a passing threat. If we slow that run game down anything is possible.

StarkVegasSteve
09-26-2019, 11:28 AM
Auburn IS NOT a good offensive football team. They are a very good defensive football team, but it's the same thing as always with Gus, smoke and mirrors until they figure out what they're good at. And the last few years that has been to run the football. If you can neutralize the run then you can force Nix into 3rd and medium and he's not going to fare well from what we've seen so far. I mean everyone raves about the throw to beat Oregon, but the ball was WAY behind the receiver and he just happened to make a good play on it. I was sold that Nix was a great player, but have become less and less certain of that fact every week. And last week sold me that if we can pressure him we can beat them.

It's going to take a great gameplan from Shoop to limit the big plays and force Nix into uncomfortable situations and it's going to take an amazing gameplan from Moorhead to be able to keep their D off balance and open up lanes for Kylin. I believe we can do it and if Moorhead can execute it and pull out the W I'll start to believe he might be right for the job again.

Maverick
09-26-2019, 11:31 AM
Eh, what it sounds like Liverpooldawg just said was lower expectations so you expect to lose and if you win you feel good but if you lose you don't feel as bad. I don't like that.... Not that it matters what fans think but if you expect to lose odds are you will, if you expect to win odds are you put up a much better fight.

Tbonewannabe
09-26-2019, 11:39 AM
If JoMo wins the ones he should (UT, Ark, Abilene, and UM) and wins 1 or 2 he shouldn't (AU, A&M, and/or LSU) then I think everyone is 100% behind him. If he wins AU and A&M whoever isn't on the bandwagon is just not a fan of MSU.

Tbonewannabe
09-26-2019, 11:42 AM
Eh, what it sounds like Liverpooldawg just said was lower expectations so you expect to lose and if you win you feel good but if you lose you don't feel as bad. I don't like that.... Not that it matters what fans think but if you expect to lose odds are you will, if you expect to win odds are you put up a much better fight.

Yep, it is kind of you hit what you aim for. If you always aim low then you will never hit high. If you aim high then you will hit as high as you can. I expect to lose to AU, A&M, LSU, and Bama but I don't think there is zero chance of a win. If we play great and clean football then we have a chance against anyone. It might take some balls bouncing our way but it is possible.

basedog
09-26-2019, 11:48 AM
Shotgun, you've been hacked*** Some dude is saying he will be a Joe believer IF we just play close, better change your password quickly***

TrapGame
09-26-2019, 11:49 AM
Shotgun, you've been hacked*** Some dude is saying he will be a Joe believer IF we just play close, better change your password quickly***

Bipolar***

Maverick
09-26-2019, 11:50 AM
I'm not sure we win this game but I expect to put up a fight. Funny how State fans just can't let go of a blow out two years ago or the false starts last year at kentucky. I think if we play like we are capable of then we should have our shot to win it in the 4th quarter. Jomo did a good job last year and I suspect Shoop will have a good game plan as well. As of late it seems like State has been completely capable of competing with these teams (Auburn, LSU, A&M). They just don't scare me anymore....

I've seen a few people mention it but this defense really does feel like that 2014 defense. They play with that bend but don't break philosophy and they really bow up inside the 20's. I suspect auburn will move the ball on us between the 20's like most other teams have, I just hope we can hold them out the end zone. A few turnovers would go a long way in this game if we can get up on auburn fast....

Dental Dawg33
09-26-2019, 11:57 AM
I did not know that. Thank you for sharing that?s good to know. Guess KY last year still haunts me.

Maverick
09-26-2019, 11:58 AM
Yep, it is kind of you hit what you aim for. If you always aim low then you will never hit high. If you aim high then you will hit as high as you can. I expect to lose to AU, A&M, LSU, and Bama but I don't think there is zero chance of a win. If we play great and clean football then we have a chance against anyone. It might take some balls bouncing our way but it is possible.

Exactly, I can't remember if it was TA, Mangum, or Mac but one of those guys mentioned stepping into the box with the right attitude. Same thing here, can't think you're going to strike out before you even try, got to think hit all the way through. I guess that’s the same as Jomo saying nobody rises to low expectations. It’s just a loser mentality vs a winner. We know we can compete, now just do it.... We will see what the score board shows at the end.

yjnkdawg
09-26-2019, 12:13 PM

LOL And the Shotgun imposter isn't even a good Shotgun imposter either.

I seen it dawg
09-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Yup, I just said it.

Did not even read it. Simply no he can't.

yjnkdawg
09-26-2019, 12:21 PM

The team and the coaches will be the ones putting up the actual fight and they believe they can win. The other is a fan's opinion which I would say is pretty realistic based upon who we are playing and where we are playing. Jordan-Hare Stadium will be a hostile environment. Especially for our players who have never experienced that atmosphere.

SPMT
09-26-2019, 12:33 PM
Shotgun, I bet you fire people and hire them right back in the same day.

Commercecomet24
09-26-2019, 12:50 PM

Great perspective here!

RezDog7
09-26-2019, 03:11 PM
- He doesn't need to win me over. I'm nothing but a fan. That being said, bringing hope of bigger & better things will go a long way in winning over the fan base.

- He has completely shit the bed. He shit the bed vs KY in 2018, LSU in 2018, Iowa in 2018, & K-State in 2019.

- I get that this isn't our best roster, but I don't think we are in a rebuild.

- Getting blown out Saturday night would be very concerning to me. I want to see more out of JoMo. I'm good with a few inexplicable losses if combined with that we get the upside of winning big games. I'm good with that trade off.

This is such a dumb take. You are literally living and dying with every play. You and others have turned everyday into a game day thread.

DancingRabbit
09-26-2019, 03:21 PM
Why does he need to win you over? I?m all for questioning things, but he doesn?t have to win me over. There are a number of things I question, but until we completely shit the bed, fans shouldn?t be completely off the wagon. Lose to one of the bottom feeders like AR and we?d have a problem. But we?re in a two year rebuild right now. And with Shrader as our future in an offense he?s familiar with, along with a number of better WRs coming in, it?d be smart not to jump off the wagon. There?s a big difference in having concerns and turning your back. I?m going to say what I think, but keep winning 7+ games and I?m not jumping ship. Now, he can shut my mouth by by winning the easy ones and sneaking a couple unexpected wins in. KSU was marginal loss that stings. Can?t have many of those in the future.

Who is this, and what did you do with Cooter? **

Tbonewannabe
09-26-2019, 03:47 PM
This is such a dumb take. You are literally living and dying with every play. You and others have turned everyday into a game day thread.

I never thought we were going to win more than 8 games anyway and that was before Tommy getting hurt and the suspensions. Could you imagine if Mond went down for A&M and they had to play a true freshman and then they struggled? I am sure people would accept it and just say Jimbo had some bad luck.

yjnkdawg
09-26-2019, 03:47 PM
Who is this, and what did you do with Cooter? **

LOL Another hacked account. They need stronger passwords. I just wonder who will be next? ;)

Liverpooldawg
09-26-2019, 05:29 PM

No, what I'm saying is to stay grounded in reality. There are a lot of people who get their hopes up based on little or nothing and then come unglued when we don't win. We lost to KSU AT HOME.

DancingRabbit
09-26-2019, 06:05 PM
The line has moved down a little. Looks like most sites started at AU -10, jumped to -11, now back to -10 or -9.5 on most.

Wonder which way it will go tomorrow?

gravedigger
09-26-2019, 06:50 PM
Yup, I just said it.

I played golf for 33 years. It took over half of it to get to a point I was satisfied with. Played with people who had played about the same amount of time as me who played more often. They threw clubs and pitched a fit every time on the course. But they kept playing. Never once being realistic about their ability. Worse, they never enjoyed the game and constantly made sure everyone in ear shot didn?t either.

I never figured out why they played.

Lord McBuckethead
09-26-2019, 11:10 PM
Auburn played better at oregon than we have in two years. Other than that, we can and should beat them.

99jc
09-26-2019, 11:43 PM
This thread is proof that many of you smoke crack and live in fantasy land, that being said i will drink the koolaid with you if he wins at Aubarn. i hope your right but he will probably lay a big fat egg.

DancingRabbit
09-26-2019, 11:45 PM
Auburn played better at oregon than we have in two years. Other than that, we can and should beat them.

Can you break that down for me?

They played in Texas and had more fans than Oregon. We kicked their ass last year worse than they beat Oregon.

Other than that, why should we beat them?

I seen it dawg
09-27-2019, 09:31 AM
I played golf for 33 years. It took over half of it to get to a point I was satisfied with. Played with people who had played about the same amount of time as me who played more often. They threw clubs and pitched a fit every time on the course. But they kept playing. Never once being realistic about their ability. Worse, they never enjoyed the game and constantly made sure everyone in ear shot didn?t either.

Sorry about that

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2019, 09:39 AM

I bet they kicked your ass though

HoopsDawg
09-27-2019, 09:42 AM
Great perspective here!

Only on a message board can you get "great perspective" from a guy called Cooterpoot.

BB30
09-27-2019, 09:53 AM
I bet they kicked your ass though

Because they got mad and threw a toddler's tantrum on the golf course? The goal in any sport as a coach is to get your players to play even-keeled never too up/never too down immediately forgetting what happened on the last play and only focusing on the next play/pitch/shot. Just because you get visibly mad doesn't mean you care more or less. It simply means you can't control what goes on in the 6" between your ears which is bad.

Maverick
09-27-2019, 10:43 AM
The team and the coaches will be the ones putting up the actual fight and they believe they can win. The other is a fan's opinion which I would say is pretty realistic based upon who we are playing and where we are playing. Jordan-Hare Stadium will be a hostile environment. Especially for our players who have never experienced that atmosphere.

Agreed, that's why I said I'm not sure it matters what the fans think. I guess the only impact there is social media now and the way they would feed off a home crowd (small vs big or staying vs leaving) which does not matter here since it's an away game.

Maverick
09-27-2019, 10:50 AM
No, what I'm saying is to stay grounded in reality. There are a lot of people who get their hopes up based on little or nothing and then come unglued when we don't win. We lost to KSU AT HOME.

I'm with you on that then, realize who we are as a fan but the team should still aim high.

Pipedream
09-27-2019, 12:53 PM
I'm not here to tell anyone how to think/feel about a sports team. BUT! I'm off the wagon and been off for a while. A loss is never going to inch me back in his corner. Never. I think there is some slight moral victory available in keeping it close and losing by 7 or less, but that wouldn't change my viewpoint of him and his ability. I don't care about game plans and his newfound fiery demeanor. All that is hype and bs. Win the games you're supposed to. Grab a couple you're not supposed to win. Until that starts happening, I'm quite convinced this guy aint it. There is zero evidence to support that he's doing an above average job here. Some guy went as far as to call this a "two year rebuild". What a line. This is, statistically, the two most talented rosters MSU has had in the internet recruiting era. A rebuild? That's just the stance of an apologist. IF he can win Saturday night, that would go a long way in providing some evidence that he can get the job done. If not, it's not going to sway my opinion of him any more against him. He's a 10 point underdog. We have a 30% chance to win. Those kind of games don't define a coach. The losing to KSU/Iowa/UF are the ones defining him right now.

Commercecomet24
09-27-2019, 01:20 PM
Only on a message board can you get "great perspective" from a guy called Cooterpoot.

Awesome,didn't think about that!

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2019, 01:30 PM
I'm not here to tell anyone how to think/feel about a sports team. BUT! I'm off the wagon and been off for a while. A loss is never going to inch me back in his corner. Never. I think there is some slight moral victory available in keeping it close and losing by 7 or less, but that wouldn't change my viewpoint of him and his ability. I don't care about game plans and his newfound fiery demeanor. All that is hype and bs. Win the games you're supposed to. Grab a couple you're not supposed to win. Until that starts happening, I'm quite convinced this guy aint it. There is zero evidence to support that he's doing an above average job here. Some guy went as far as to call this a "two year rebuild". What a line. This is, statistically, the two most talented rosters MSU has had in the internet recruiting era. A rebuild? That's just the stance of an apologist. IF he can win Saturday night, that would go a long way in providing some evidence that he can get the job done. If not, it's not going to sway my opinion of him any more against him. He's a 10 point underdog. We have a 30% chance to win. Those kind of games don't define a coach. The losing to KSU/Iowa/UF are the ones defining him right now.

Weird that beating Auburn and A&M last year gets him zero cred but losing to KSU, a tough Iowa team (Guidry Int cost us that game), and a top 10 UF team are what defines him. I guess you hated Mullen for losing to South Alabama, UK, a mediocre UM team in 2012, mediocre Northwestern team in 2012, BYU, and a shitty UM team in 2017 (since a QB going down in no reason to lose a game like KSU).

The bottom line is Joe might not be the guy to elevate us. He has improved our recruiting and seems to have the opportunity to keep our bowl streak alive. Anything more than that and you are just mad that Moorhead isn't elevating us above the level Mullen got us to. I do want someone to keep climbing but I am not going to make a quick decision when we could easily end up with a Chad Morris, Jeremy Pruitt, or Matt Luke as our coach. Hell, UF was begging Chip Kelly to take their job and had to settle for Mullen. It looks like they dodged a HUGE bullet with that hire.

Pipedream
09-27-2019, 01:41 PM
Weird that beating Auburn and A&M last year gets him zero cred but losing to KSU, a tough Iowa team (Guidry Int cost us that game), and a top 10 UF team are what defines him. I guess you hated Mullen for losing to South Alabama, UK, a mediocre UM team in 2012, mediocre Northwestern team in 2012, BYU, and a shitty UM team in 2017 (since a QB going down in no reason to lose a game like KSU).

The bottom line is Joe might not be the guy to elevate us. He has improved our recruiting and seems to have the opportunity to keep our bowl streak alive. Anything more than that and you are just mad that Moorhead isn't elevating us above the level Mullen got us to. I do want someone to keep climbing but I am not going to make a quick decision when we could easily end up with a Chad Morris, Jeremy Pruitt, or Matt Luke as our coach. Hell, UF was begging Chip Kelly to take their job and had to settle for Mullen. It looks like they dodged a HUGE bullet with that hire.

He does get credit, from me anyway, for beating Auburn as an underdog last year. That's his best win by far. We were favored vs A&M. He's won one game as an underdog and lost 4 as a favorite. That isn't good enough. Yeah I hated those losses from Mullen, but over his career he won more games as an underdog than he lost as a favorite. He was on the + side of that by a pretty healthy margin. Moorhead is in the hole. You're showing your colors for wanting to applaud his good wins, but making excuses for his bad losses. The honest truth is he's lost more games than he should have and only gotten 1 that he shouldn't. Until that changes, that's the definition of his tenure thus far.

Scared_Hitless
09-27-2019, 01:56 PM
He does get credit, from me anyway, for beating Auburn as an underdog last year. That's his best win by far. We were favored vs A&M. He's won one game as an underdog and lost 4 as a favorite. That isn't good enough. Yeah I hated those losses from Mullen, but over his career he won more games as an underdog than he lost as a favorite. He was on the + side of that by a pretty healthy margin. Moorhead is in the hole. You're showing your colors for wanting to applaud his good wins, but making excuses for his bad losses. The honest truth is he's lost more games than he should have and only gotten 1 that he shouldn't. Until that changes, that's the definition of his tenure thus far.

I mean the most talented rosters we have ever had sure, and that would still place us what 12th in our own conference? Only wins as an Underdog matter you say? Based on talent profile we were underdogs plenty. Vegas sets the lines based on public perception and to hedge the bets. Your take makes no sense Dan Mullen had the worst record against AP ranked teams in history. Stop sugar coating stats to fit you narrative. A&M and Auburn both destroy us in recruiting. The only teams we lost to last season finished inside the top 12. Only Iowa was a team where we had dominant talent.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2019, 02:13 PM

I am just trying to look at everything evenly. I will admit that I was sick of Mullen by the end just because of the constant job search that I personally think cost us at minimum a Sugar Bowl bid. It also sucked to always crap the bed at the end during recruiting.

I am not sold on Moorhead but I just look at last year as: Moorhead overestimated Fitz and the WRs in his offense. It was a horrible fit for the most part. We saw flashes of good offense but against good to great defenses, it sped up everything and we weren't a good team that could execute. Looking back over those games, there were plays to be made but we just rarely made them. A big example is the flea flicker against Bama. That play was more than likely a TD if Fitz even throws the damn ball. There was zero reason to throw it. Fitz had plenty of time and the WR was WIDE OPEN. Instead he just sat in the pocket for about 6 - 7 seconds until a sack or no gain (I can't remember exactly).

Now Joe did hire some good defensive coaches and a good defensive coordinator. We were good the year before but Shoop made us Great.

This year we have our QB that looks like a legitimate NFL prospect go down and a true freshman take over to go along with all the suspensions. I just think it is hard to see whether Joe under these circumstances is just a crap coach or is a good coach with crap circumstances.

We could hit it big if we hired someone else or make a huge miss. We are probably more likely to get a Chad Morris as we are another Mullen.

These are UF's last hires after Spurrier:

Ron Zook - famously Croomed
Urban Meyer - Grand Slam hire for a short time
Wil Muschamp -
Jim McE - shark humper
Dan Mullen - Solid double - was about their 3rd or 4th pick

So it looks like UF is at best hiring a good coach that can get them in the National Title picture about every other hire at BEST. This is how most hires go in college football. It is a crap shoot and we are probably more likely to hire someone that misses a bowl game vs someone that gets us to 10 wins consistently.

Moorhead is VERY well thought of in the media and coaching circles. That at least gives him leeway in my mind. Again, Saban and Kirby Smart both had rough first years and you can't tell me Bama in my lifetime has ever had less talent than Louisiana Monroe or a MSU football team with Croom as the damn head coach. I just think unless we go into UT or Ark spiral that Joe should get 3-4 years as long as we are making bowl games and recruiting well.

That is purely my opinion so take it for what it's worth.

I seen it dawg
09-27-2019, 10:17 PM

As soon as you typed BUT it was over