PDA

View Full Version : Just watched SEC Inside twice with MSU/Moorhead

dawgday166
09-24-2019, 10:26 PM
Three things kinda just jumped out to me:

1) Quote from Joe to team "If you're playing at this level, in this conference, in this division, effort should be a given. We should not have to coach and teach effort. That's in our DNA, that's who we are. It's about precision."

2) To Guidry "Your fundamentals, your technique, everything about you is a more mature football player and I'm damned impressed by it so ... keep it rolling". This is before the KY game I think.

3) Always positive, always telling them how great they're doing.

My thoughts on each:

1) I like the precision part but ... I wonder if Saban has ever said something like this to his team about effort. I've watched Rolling with the Tide and Saban always telling them how damn hard they have to work to be champions. How tough they gotta be. This is football not tiddlywinks. I also know Bear wouldn't have ever said this without a doubt. He coached the Junction Boys. Could this be some of the reason we appear so soft at times, especially on offense. Hard to be precise when someone's knocking your ass off and you ain't tough enough to take it. Because in the 4th qtr against Bama in a close game (if we were ever to get there) it will be about who can dig down deeper and put forth the effort. That and not letting the moment be too big for us. I also think that in the NFL this statement would apply much moreso than in college ... where kids have classes, girlfriend dramas, off-the-field dramas, etc. They're easily distracted at that point in their lives.

2) Really??? Guidry's in-game effort is horrible IMO. He did look smooth as hell in practice tho but ... gotta block, run crisp routes, and catch the dam ball in the game son. Saban probably would've done processed him.

3) The best teams probably very rarely hear how great they are from their coach, except maybe when the season is over. Not saying they shouldn't get some pats on the back but ... Saban does and Bear did chew ass all the time. Not saying Joe should chew ass all the time but there are times to do it. Saban constantly telling them how they have to improve and get better. Maybe Joe was just being nice and positive since he was on camera.

I dunno, maybe the approach I saw tonight will work, although I'm kinda skeptical. Don't wanna be but ... I am. I do think that blocking and tackling is about effort and toughness. And football is ultimately about blocking and tackling more than anything. Shoop put in toughness Tuesday's last year after the FL game and we became a nasty, fast, hard hitting D from there on out.

I will say Joe's approach seems to have worked in the Northeast where they play real football. Gonna watch and see what happens. Maybe in 2021 when he has all his players, maybe we'll be 10-2 or 11-1. Hell ... maybe we'll be 9-3, 10-2, or even 11-1 this year.

Cooterpoot
09-24-2019, 11:00 PM
Guidry is impressive? Jo is a liar!

JoseBrown
09-25-2019, 12:09 AM
Guidry sat out the UK game injured, otherwise I agree. I think we're just fine with him as we are without.

Maybe why we seem to come out sleepwalking till we get punched in the mouth once or twice.

Hot Rock
09-25-2019, 05:50 AM

1) Quote from Joe to team "If you're playing at this level, in this conference, in this division, effort should be a given. We should not have to coach and teach effort. That's in our DNA, that's who we are. It's about precision."

2) To Guidry "Your fundamentals, your technique, everything about you is a more mature football player and I'm damned impressed by it so ... keep it rolling". This is before the KY game I think.

My thoughts on each:

1) I like the precision part but ... I wonder if Saban has ever said something like this to his team about effort. I've watched Rolling with the Tide and Saban always telling them how damn hard they have to work to be champions. How tough they gotta be. This is football not tiddlywinks. I also know Bear wouldn't have ever said this without a doubt. He coached the Junction Boys. Could this be some of the reason we appear so soft at times, especially on offense. Hard to be precise when someone's knocking your ass off and you ain't tough enough to take it. Because in the 4th qtr against Bama in a close game (if we were ever to get there) it will be about who can dig down deeper and put forth the effort. That and not letting the moment be too big for us. I also think that in the NFL this statement would apply much moreso than in college ... where kids have classes, girlfriend dramas, off-the-field dramas, etc. They're easily distracted at that point in their lives.

2) Really??? Guidry's in-game effort is horrible IMO. He did look smooth as hell in practice tho but ... gotta block, run crisp routes, and catch the dam ball in the game son. Saban probably would've done processed him.

3) The best teams probably very rarely hear how great they are from their coach, except maybe when the season is over. Not saying they shouldn't get some pats on the back but ... Saban does and Bear did chew ass all the time. Not saying Joe should chew ass all the time but there are times to do it. Saban constantly telling them how they have to improve and get better. Maybe Joe was just being nice and positive since he was on camera.

I dunno, maybe the approach I saw tonight will work, although I'm kinda skeptical. Don't wanna be but ... I am. I do think that blocking and tackling is about effort and toughness. And football is ultimately about blocking and tackling more than anything. Shoop put in toughness Tuesday's last year after the FL game and we became a nasty, fast, hard hitting D from there on out.

I will say Joe's approach seems to have worked in the Northeast where they play real football. Gonna watch and see what happens. Maybe in 2021 when he has all his players, maybe we'll be 10-2 or 11-1. Hell ... maybe we'll be 9-3, 10-2, or even 11-1 this year.

I hate our fan base sometimes. Jeez

Scared_Hitless
09-25-2019, 07:18 AM
I tell you one place you will never here anything positive. That is on this damn board.

Geez turning coach speak into a reason to talk about that's not how the Bear would have done it. You ever think Joe is playing it up for the cameras not gonna dog cuss your players on national TV.

BrunswickDawg
09-25-2019, 07:30 AM
I'm so glad that a 25 minute TV show that is supposed to highlight the *positives of SEC programs* accurately captured an entire week's worth of practices in such a short time frame, while they were only on campus filming 1 afternoon.
There is no way that they would edit out anything negative, any cussing, or something that might not be suitable for a 25 minute feel good show? I mean, isn't TV reality?

dawgday166
09-25-2019, 08:50 AM
I'm so glad that a 25 minute TV show that is supposed to highlight the *positives of SEC programs* accurately captured an entire week's worth of practices in such a short time frame, while they were only on campus filming 1 afternoon.
There is no way that they would edit out anything negative, any cussing, or something that might not be suitable for a 25 minute feel good show? I mean, isn't TV reality?

I do realize that. What stuck me as odd was the statement is "we don't have to coach effort at this level".

I got 2 words for that: Vic Schaefer. Our ladies hoops team is tougher than our offense in football is.

Overall it's Joe's approach. Maybe it'll work and I'm sure I didn't see all of it too. I was hoping to get someone who could take us up there closer to Bama, but now I figure at best we got another Dan while he was here, albeit a better recruiter.

Gutter Cobreh
09-25-2019, 08:53 AM
I mean, isn't TV reality?

Wait, so you're telling me people don't find love on The Batchelor, or that Real Houswives of (pick a city) isn't how they truly live???? That's just blasphemy and "rat poison"!!!!

Irondawg
09-25-2019, 09:11 AM
Different coaches have different takes on the effort thing. In theory he's right - if you want to be playing for an SEC program coaches shouldn't have to spend a lot of time motivating you to give effort. But if you want to make that a reality in your program then one of the biggest traits you have to look for in recruits is self-motivation. Anybody that's been around a bunch of kids or coached anything at any level knows how rare those types are. You get more kids like that as you advance in level though and ideally your locker room takes care of the guys that aren't giving effort. Again that goes back to the type of guys you recruit into your program.

Still many kids have to be taught what their maximum effort it, even the self-motivated ones. Many, many players will think they are giving their best effort, but when pushed properly realize they are capable of more than they ever thought they were.

So at the end of the day I disagree with Joe here and thing you do have to coach effort to some degree to get the maximum out of players. Maybe it's semantics and Joe would call that "challenging" players versus coaching effort.

Maverick
09-25-2019, 09:48 AM
So you want to harp on that and not give any positives? How about the line to Shrader telling him he was made for this moment? How about at half time where he appears to be running through the locker room telling the players we have to finish this. How about telling his offense after kentucky made it 13-21 this is our time to answer?? What about how fired up he was in the locker room afterwards? We all saw that.... "And I'll go to war with this friggin team 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year."

So what if he said they shouldn't have to teach effort, that to me is a little dig at them anyway. It's basically saying you came to the best conference because you're good enough to play here, now prove it to me for a full game and give me maximum effort all 4 quarters. He follows that up later by telling them to go hard for 75 minutes if I'm mistaken.

So what if he pats the players on their back a little, don't you like a little recognition from time to time? Being constantly drilled isn't any fun and sometimes it actually creates push back where a pat on the back can keep you working hard. It's like getting a raise at your job or a bonus, doesn't that increase your work effort? All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy....

Dawg2003
09-25-2019, 10:03 AM
I watched a You Tube video that documented a UConn women's basketball practice, and Geno Auriemma said "We don't coach your effort here." For what it's worth.

Commercecomet24
09-25-2019, 10:05 AM
I watched a You Tube video that documented a UConn women's basketball practice, and Geno Auriemma said "We don't coach your effort here." For what it's worth.

Geno's soft*****

Coach007
09-25-2019, 10:30 AM
I do realize that. What stuck me as odd was the statement is "we don't have to coach effort at this level".

I got 2 words for that: Vic Schaefer. Our ladies hoops team is tougher than our offense in football is.

Overall it's Joe's approach. Maybe it'll work and I'm sure I didn't see all of it too. I was hoping to get someone who could take us up there closer to Bama, but now I figure at best we got another Dan while he was here, albeit a better recruiter.

But that's not what he said per your OP. He stated we "SHOULD" not have to, which indicates they are having to. Which is to say "why are we having to"

Love that from a 25 minute program you "know" his approach.

Dawg2003
09-25-2019, 10:59 AM
You shouldn't have to coach effort at this level. If you are, then the kid needs to sit. That's how you weed people out and communicate what you will tolerate. You either coach it a certain way or allow it to happen that way.

TaleofTwoDogs
09-25-2019, 11:04 AM
Maybe it's semantics and Joe would call that "challenging" players versus coaching effort.

I think this is the right interpretation. A SEC athlete has to be at a higher level of both physical and mental capabilities and the mental part entails the basic drive to give max effort on the field. The coaches can elevate that mentally with various practice challenges but it is incumbent on the player to keep the motor running.

Jack Lambert
09-25-2019, 11:06 AM
I think this is the right interpretation. A SEC athlete has to be at a higher level of both physical and mental capabilities and the mental part entails the basic drive to give max effort on the field. The coaches can elevate that mentally with various practice challenges but it is incumbent on the player to keep the motor running.

That's the same with Strength and Conditioning. Coaches can only spend so much time each day. The guy has to have the motivation to put in extra work. I do think it is possible the S&C coaches don't do a good job while they have them but still the athlete should be motivated to do more on his own.

DancingRabbit
09-25-2019, 11:21 AM
I just watched it. Funny how people can view things so differently.

My take was ...
https://media1.giphy.com/media/4KnLjTLUrs2sw/giphy.gif

Commercecomet24
09-25-2019, 11:55 AM
I just watched it. Funny how people can view things so differently.

My take was ...
https://media1.giphy.com/media/4KnLjTLUrs2sw/giphy.gif

Same here!

When I started in marketing 30 years ago, lesson one was there is no reality, only perception and dang if it ain't the truth!

Cooterpoot
09-25-2019, 01:01 PM
That SEC Inside was old, at least parts of it were.

Scared_Hitless
09-25-2019, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know when it re-airs? Missed it

DancingRabbit
09-25-2019, 02:00 PM
Does anyone know when it re-airs? Missed it

Thursday, Sept. 26 – 8:30 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 27 – 12:30 a.m., 6:30 a.m.
Saturday, Sept. 28 – 8 a.m.

Scared_Hitless
09-25-2019, 02:23 PM
Thursday, Sept. 26 – 8:30 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 27 – 12:30 a.m., 6:30 a.m.
Saturday, Sept. 28 – 8 a.m.

Thank you

Tbonewannabe
09-25-2019, 02:38 PM

I just watched it and what I understood of the comment was basically "100% effort is expected from a SEC athlete, that is the minimum". So Joe expects full effort and then you work on precision. At the end of the day, you didn't see the full speech or conversation so you are making an assumption.

I will say that I don't think Cohen would put up with a coach half assing it. Cohen was 100% effort as a player and a coach, he didn't get the nickname Intense Bastard because he let the guys play tiddley winks in the outfield.

MoreCowbell
09-25-2019, 02:47 PM

My thoughts on each:

As far as Guidry goes, some players respond better to certain things. Some respond to coaches getting after their ass and some respond better to positive reinforcement. I’m going to chalk it up to that

RezDog7
09-25-2019, 03:01 PM
I guess you think our football team is like the 7 yo baseball player in the outfield playing with bugs and is only there because diddy made him.

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-25-2019, 03:23 PM
Maybe you should keep your thoughts in your head

timotheus
09-25-2019, 04:12 PM
I have seen this in other sports where u have a kid who is talented but never is pushed or has any competition for playing time. Later when the player moves to better and stronger competition for some reason he just can't up his game. Maybe this is Guidry?

Ari Gold
09-25-2019, 08:11 PM
Maybe you should keep your thoughts in your head

Bingo.

Todd4State
09-25-2019, 08:16 PM
And if Joe acted like Buddy Stephens you would be concerned about his potty mouth and how it makes MSU look.

If not you someone else would anyway.

Lord McBuckethead
09-25-2019, 09:18 PM
On demand, espn app

What pisses me off is that ESPN didn't just use footage from a current practice. 95% of that episode was from the spring. The other parts were from Hailstate video. If it were Bama, they wouldn't have used 6 month old footage or fall practice footage.

Great show though, none-the-less.

Tmjdog
09-25-2019, 09:32 PM
I hate our fan base sometimes. Jeez

Bravo & salute.

Ari Gold
09-26-2019, 08:14 AM
On demand, espn app

What pisses me off is that ESPN didn't just use footage from a current practice. 95% of that episode was from the spring. The other parts were from Hailstate video. If it were Bama, they wouldn't have used 6 month old footage or fall practice footage.

Great show though, none-the-less.

Well at least ESPN got the right team , thought they might piece together combined footage of us and OM.
And SEC network probably had most of its man power getting the phone lines and show prep ready for the 2-6pm POS shit daily show ..