PDA

View Full Version : LSU offense - Moorhead and Shoop

somebodyshotmypaw
09-23-2019, 10:23 PM
Article on the LSU offense. Moorhead mentioned prominently. Shoop with comments.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/09/17/lsu-spread-offense-joe-burrow-ed-orgeron

Todd4State
09-23-2019, 11:01 PM
I'd like to see us hire Brady as OC/TE coach and move Hughes to ST coach.

Coach007
09-24-2019, 12:21 AM
Article on the LSU offense. Moorhead mentioned prominently. Shoop with comments.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/09/17/lsu-spread-offense-joe-burrow-ed-orgeron

This is a great article because it points out something that MS ST fans should all know. I talked about it here https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?76608-The-SEC-world-is-changing-We-have-an-opportunity-here-a-Major-one

- The world of SEC is changing and for the next few years, we have an opportunity to take a MAJOR step forward as Bama, LSU, and TAMU chase the B12 style.

From the article:

But the switch to this style of offense isn't all positive. There are drawbacks to a quick-paced system that puts the ball in the air so much. One of them reared its head in Austin: The Tigers lost the time of possession battle by eight minutes. Their defense was on the field for 85 plays, the most in a regulation game since 2013. As a result, LSU's defense, one loaded with five-star athletes and led by the highest-paid defensive coordinator in the nation, Dave Aranda, allowed 38 points and 530 yards. Even against Northwestern State last Saturday—a game LSU won 65–14 and completed 29 of 33 passes for 488 yards—the D was on the field for more than 33 minutes. "You get the people and they want to go so fast and run so many plays as quickly as they can," says Randy Edsall, the UConn coach. "That's all well and good, but if you're not making first downs or scoring points, you're putting your defense in a heck of a bind."

Neuheisel expects a "correction" from the traditional powers that have recently switched, meaning the LSUs and Alabamas will drift back toward their old ways. "They'll go too far, and they'll realize maybe Burrow gets nicked or they can't salt the game away," he says. "We saw Alabama not be able to run the ball in the national championship game [loss to Clemson last year]."

Edsall agrees. "Like anything else, things evolve," he says. "You'll start seeing more people doing things under the center."

There are other issues. Defensive coaches now have three full games of LSU's new offense. That's two more than Texas coaches got. "This is the SEC West," says Shoop. "People adjust."

1- RBs. With the lack of running by the bigs in the SEC, we stand to always have great RBs. And we will need them.

2- Defense. The more the top teams head towards an all out air raid, the better opportunities will present themselves for defensive players as a whole.

3- Being balanced means we need fewer WRs than say LSU or Bama.

Our opportunity is what Auburn did to Oregon in 2011. Those offenses are clueless when they get smacked around. They lose it. The defenses become week because of the emphasis placed on the offense in recruiting. We have an opportunity.

Todd4State
09-24-2019, 12:42 AM
This is a great article because it points out something that MS ST fans should all know. I talked about it here https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?76608-The-SEC-world-is-changing-We-have-an-opportunity-here-a-Major-one

- The world of SEC is changing and for the next few years, we have an opportunity to take a MAJOR step forward as Bama, LSU, and TAMU chase the B12 style.

From the article:

1- RBs. With the lack of running by the bigs in the SEC, we stand to always have great RBs. And we will need them.

2- Defense. The more the top teams head towards an all out air raid, the better opportunities will present themselves for defensive players as a whole.

Our opportunity is what Auburn did to Oregon in 2011. Those offenses are clueless when they get smacked around. They lose it. The defenses become week because of the emphasis placed on the offense in recruiting. We have an opportunity.

I'm not sure if Rick Neuheisal is right or not. But I'm already noticing some more under the center stuff with the jet/fly sweeps that the Rams use a lot. I think we'll see some of that used a little more in the future along with the shotgun stuff.

The biggest thing we can do to take the next step IMO is to clean up our recruiting like Joe is doing. Not necessarily from a "star" standpoint but from a personnel standpoint and making sure we don't have issues where we are playing all freshmen at DT or we're playing WR's that are all 5'9".

basedog
09-24-2019, 06:53 AM
I'm not sure if Rick Neuheisal is right or not. But I'm already noticing some more under the center stuff with the jet/fly sweeps that the Rams use a lot. I think we'll see some of that used a little more in the future along with the shotgun stuff.

The biggest thing we can do to take the next step IMO is to clean up our recruiting like Joe is doing. Not necessarily from a "star" standpoint but from a personnel standpoint and making sure we don't have issues where we are playing all freshmen at DT or we're playing WR's that are all 5'9".

I've said this for a while now, we need team speed, We haven't had a "homerun speed guy" in a long time! Our rooster does need adjusting and that is a good observation Todd. Having a young potential star in Shrader should help with some wr recruits.

I'm not sold on anything Neuheisal has to say, dude was awful as a Coach.

BrunswickDawg
09-24-2019, 07:17 AM
I've said this for a while now, we need team speed, We haven't had a "homerun speed guy" in a long time! Our rooster does need adjusting and that is a good observation Todd. Having a young potential star in Shrader should help with some wr recruits.

I'm not sold on anything Neuheisal has to say, dude was awful as a Coach.

I'm not quite sure how you adjust a rooster - but I guess that's why we have Poultry Science majors LOL!

More to your point - yes, our roster has had some holes. I think that is primarily because our recruiting didn't stay on guys until the end so those 1-3 a year who changed their mind hurt us. The lack of speed really perplexes me though - because MS produces plenty of speed. Over the last 10 years or so our fastest guys are always on D not O. That's odd as well.

basedog
09-24-2019, 07:32 AM
I'm not quite sure how you adjust a rooster - but I guess that's why we have Poultry Science majors LOL!

More to your point - yes, our roster has had some holes. I think that is primarily because our recruiting didn't stay on guys until the end so those 1-3 a year who changed their mind hurt us. The lack of speed really perplexes me though - because MS produces plenty of speed. Over the last 10 years or so our fastest guys are always on D not O. That's odd as well.

You answered your question. I think we had lazy recruiters, I think we took some players at certain positions because we couldn't get better players and we had no choice. Also it hurt that other schools knew Dan was looking around wanting to leave and used that tactic against us in some players. We need speed, it baffles me as well.

dawgday166
09-24-2019, 07:35 AM

From the article:

On thing that stuck out to me in the article. Edwards-Helaire made the saving block on the 3rd down conversion so Burrow could make the pass. That type of play happened 1 time last year that I saw, when Aeris blocked a TAM LB that was fixing to kill Fitz so Fitz could complete a pass. It hasn't happened yet this year that I've seen and if it doesn't going forward ... it will cost us. BTW ... Fitz had a really good game against TAM.

Tbonewannabe
09-24-2019, 07:57 AM
On thing that stuck out to me in the article. Edwards-Helaire made the saving block on the 3rd down conversion so Burrow could make the pass. That type of play happened 1 time last year that I saw, when Aeris blocked a TAM LB that was fixing to kill Fitz so Fitz could complete a pass. It hasn't happened yet this year that I've seen and if it doesn't going forward ... it will cost us. BTW ... Fitz had a really good game against TAM.

Kylin has improved his blocking a lot. That is probably the one thing that he has improved the most from last year. I saw him pick up some blocks this year where last year he was like a screen door.

dawgday166
09-24-2019, 08:05 AM
Kylin has improved his blocking a lot. That is probably the one thing that he has improved the most from last year. I saw him pick up some blocks this year where last year he was like a screen door.

I've seen him do a little better at times this year, but I've also seen him do not so good. And he hasn't been blocking the size/speed he'll face this weekend or against LSU and Bama either.

I'm hoping and praying he does have a year that gets him into early rounds of NFL draft, but I'm not seeing that just yet. He only averaged 4.6 yd/att against KY. Not a bad average, but not that great either. RBs aren't the priority either they used to be in the NFL. It takes a Barkley, Fournette, Gurley, Chubb type of back to make early NFL rounds and he isn't in their class yet ... and not sure he ever will be.

redstickdawg
09-24-2019, 09:02 AM
I'd like to see us hire Brady as OC/TE coach and move Hughes to ST coach.

He's not going to be anything but an OC at LSU or his next stop.

Kingbarkus
09-24-2019, 09:06 AM
Just before the season started, I caught an Orgeron interview on the local New Orleans sports radio channel. O discussed the Brady hire and his connection with Moorhead. O had talked to Moorhead about Brady. O has a ton of respect for Moorhead's offensive creativity. I think we have the coaches including Shoop in place to be very successful. All we need are players.

Coach007
09-24-2019, 10:10 AM

Yeah, but we don't run the LSU offense. LSU is ranked 5th in offense while being ranked 96th in rushing. When is the last time you saw Bama ranked 57th in rushing. We are a balanced attack. We will have the ability to wear down a defense and limit their offensive touches. One or 2 3 and outs really hurts teams like that.

If you want the next level, are you going to a place that does not showcase your running? Not likely.

dawgday166
09-24-2019, 10:17 AM
Yeah, but we don't run the LSU offense. LSU is ranked 5th in offense while being ranked 96th in rushing. When is the last time you saw Bama ranked 57th in rushing. We are a balanced attack. We will have the ability to wear down a defense and limit their offensive touches. One or 2 3 and outs really hurts teams like that.

If you want the next level, are you going to a place that does not showcase your running? Not likely.

You're the ultimate cheerleader. The point of my post:

If a play calls for the RB to pass protect, and we have plays that call for that, if he doesn't the chance of the play succeeding severely decreases. That happened a LOT last year. And it's in the Football 101 class, which you should consider taking.

Coach007
09-24-2019, 10:19 AM
I've seen him do a little better at times this year, but I've also seen him do not so good. And he hasn't been blocking the size/speed he'll face this weekend or against LSU and Bama either.

I'm hoping and praying he does have a year that gets him into early rounds of NFL draft, but I'm not seeing that just yet. He only averaged 4.6 yd/att against KY. Not a bad average, but not that great either. RBs aren't the priority either they used to be in the NFL. It takes a Barkley, Fournette, Gurley, Chubb type of back to make early NFL rounds and he isn't in their class yet ... and not sure he ever will be.

It's the QB. If Tommy is in, the field opens more for him. Same thing with Barkley, Gurley, and Chubb. Everything changes when you put in a Shrader.

Cooterpoot
09-24-2019, 10:24 AM
Jo needs an OC. He’s struggled with the play calling. He needs someone to make the calls with his input. He just needs to be the HC. But Cohen is hell bent on going cheap, so I can’t see it happening.

dawgday166
09-24-2019, 10:58 AM
It's the QB. If Tommy is in, the field opens more for him. Same thing with Barkley, Gurley, and Chubb. Everything changes when you put in a Shrader.

Go look at Joe Montana's stats in 1986 playoffs against the Giants. 49 - 3 loss. He got hammered that game. Football 101 dude.

Percho
09-24-2019, 11:43 AM
Aggressive

2 / 5 / 4 defense

NCDawg
09-24-2019, 01:18 PM
Jo needs an OC. He’s struggled with the play calling. He needs someone to make the calls with his input. He just needs to be the HC. But Cohen is hell bent on going cheap, so I can’t see it happening.

I agree Jo needs an OC. Looking at the tape of the Kentucky game, we had delays getting the play in before Shrader's 2 turnovers-one, the interception and two, the fumble. I'm not certain the delays caused the turnovers, but we were hurrying to get the play off after the "check with me" so not to get penalized. I really don't understand Moorhead's aversion to not taking a snap under center. I noticed Kansas State takes snaps under center as well as snaps in the shotgun Several teams scored on QB sneaks last week. I really think we have won the Outback Bowl last year if Fitz had run the QB sneak on Iowa's one yard line instead of running 4 times from the shotgun. I note when we have a "kneel" situation when we have the game won, Moorhad still doesn't let the QB get under center. He snaps the ball to the QB to kneel.

Tbonewannabe
09-24-2019, 02:27 PM
I agree Jo needs an OC. Looking at the tape of the Kentucky game, we had delays getting the play in before Shrader's 2 turnovers-one, the interception and two, the fumble. I'm not certain the delays caused the turnovers, but we were hurrying to get the play off after the "check with me" so not to get penalized. I really don't understand Moorhead's aversion to not taking a snap under center. I noticed Kansas State takes snaps under center as well as snaps in the shotgun Several teams scored on QB sneaks last week. I really think we have won the Outback Bowl last year if Fitz had run the QB sneak on Iowa's one yard line instead of running 4 times from the shotgun. I note when we have a "kneel" situation when we have the game won, Moorhad still doesn't let the QB get under center. He snaps the ball to the QB to kneel.

It isn't just Moorhead. Most spread / shotgun offenses don't take snaps under center. Mullen rarely does it, I think we even went years without taking a snap under center. Basically it is another thing to practice and the thought process is there is more danger in fumbling the center/QB exchange. I don't understand it especially since most of the time when a QB is going to sneak it, everyone knows anyway. It isn't like you would have to design multiple plays just because you go under center.

As far as on the goal line, standing at shotgun depth is about where a RB would be anyway. The only advantage is on a QB sneak which I personally think every team should have in their playbook but I don't get paid to win games.