PDA

View Full Version : Have not seen this discussed

wofat
10-26-2013, 03:40 PM
But what the heck the infatuation with the 5-wide empty back set??? We must run better than 50% of our plays out of this formation, at least it seemed that way against UK. Maybe Coach 34 can enlighten me, but this seems totally against our strengths? We have RB's coming out of our ears, we do not have a stable of SEC receivers, we have a QB that can run but struggles a little in the throwing department. So why go to a formation 50% of the time that plays to your weakness?

Interested in the boards thoughts on this.

Tbonewannabe
10-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Why do we pound the rock up the gut with Perkins when every rb on the bench is a better power back?

We do a lot of dumb shit on offense.

FlabLoser
10-26-2013, 04:00 PM
It is supposed to make people wide open for short throws. Were're a lot better at it this year than last year. The difference is Dak. He's a threat for a QB draw.

FlabLoser
10-26-2013, 04:01 PM
We do a lot of dumb shit on offense.

We're on pace to set a school record in total offense in a season.

Coach34
10-26-2013, 04:01 PM
5 wide can force mismatches you want- like Tubby and Perkins vs a LB.
It also allows you to outnumber them in the box if teams choose to keep Safeties over the top. With Dakota back there- it's a big advantage. I know we did that on 3rd and mid range once and Dakota ran for about 8 yards and a 1st down.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2013, 04:03 PM
It also allows you to outnumber them in the box if teams choose to keep Safeties over the top. With Dakota back there- it's a big advantage. I know we did that on 3rd and mid range once and Dakota ran for about 8 yards and a 1st down.

Teams are going automatic blitz when we go no back, and we have no answer. I watch our receivers like Morrow get easily covered man to man.

Coach34
10-26-2013, 04:04 PM
Why do we pound the rock up the gut with Perkins when every rb on the bench is a better power back?

We run a zone play- it's not designed to go up the middle- but to find a crease for the RB to jump up into. Sometimes that crease is in the middle, and sometimes there is no crease and Perkins just has to tuck his head and get what he can get. OM runs this also with there little bitty shit RB's.

We just need JRob getting more carries period.

Coach34
10-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Teams are going automatic blitz when we go no back, and we have no answer. I watch our receivers like Morrow get easily covered man to man.

We have to be able to exploit that with QB runs and quick throws- that's up to our coaches. Dakota can exploit it with his legs- Russell couldnt.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2013, 04:11 PM
We have to be able to exploit that with QB runs and quick throws- that's up to our coaches. Dakota can exploit it with his legs- Russell couldnt.

I agree, but we contain to run the same routes out of that formation. Jameon is the only guy who can beat his man.

Tbonewannabe
10-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Still doesn't make Perkins up the middle a smart move.

MetEdDawg
10-26-2013, 04:38 PM
I agree that we should be in 5 wide much less. We've got RBs that can do the work. I like our 4 wide sets though because we've finally got WRs that can block down field on a more consistent basis and we've got guys that can catch pretty consistently, so we can run and pass effectively out of the four wide.

We can always get solid RBs and in the SEC you have to run to be successful. I would like to see us in 5 wide only as a change of pace hurry up situation.

wofat
10-26-2013, 05:15 PM

But if I'm a Defensive Co-ord, I think you've done me a favor. All I do is spy Dak and put my best cover guy on Tubby, I'm not scared of anybody else we've got and if I want I can still bring an extra guy to blitz. Also, why go 5 wide empty on 3rd and short situations? Am I the only one that thinks that is crazy?

Jack Lambert
10-26-2013, 05:40 PM
I agree, but we contain to run the same routes out of that formation. Jameon is the only guy who can beat his man.

Jemeon is probably the most experience. The others will learn how to get off the defender.

engie
10-26-2013, 05:50 PM
5 wide is used to basically force teams into man coverage to give matchup problems on an elite receiver. It's tremendously effective if you have a great blocking OL.

aTm uses it with great success because it basically prevents double teams on Evans -- and once the DBs backs are pointed to Manziel -- good luck.

wofat
10-26-2013, 07:14 PM
5 wide is used to basically force teams into man coverage to give matchup problems on an elite receiver. It's tremendously effective if you have a great blocking OL.

aTm uses it with great success because it basically prevents double teams on Evans -- and once the DBs backs are pointed to Manziel -- good luck.

I understand why other teams like Texas A&M use it, they have the personnel to do it, we do not have Manzeil or Evans or anything approaching that level of talent. We have very good RB's, a good running QB a below average line and very below avg WR's with exception of Tubby. Run what you're good at, not what you wish you were good at.

BulldogDX55
10-26-2013, 07:41 PM
You guys realize that most of the time that we were in the 5 wide that either Perk or JRob were one of the wideouts, right?