PDA

View Full Version : If we beat who we can or should beat we will not go below .500 during this season.

Jack Lambert
09-23-2019, 02:35 PM
Will this make you feel better about the season?

KOdawg1
09-23-2019, 02:38 PM
Not really. I want an upset

Tbonewannabe
09-23-2019, 02:44 PM
Not really. I want an upset

Then you have been disappointed for almost a decade other than 2014. Even in 2014, we ended up only beating teams with at least 5 losses.

Pipedream
09-23-2019, 02:56 PM
Then you have been disappointed for almost a decade other than 2014. Even in 2014, we ended up only beating teams with at least 5 losses.

Off the top of my head, here's some games we won as an underdog the last decade:
09 OM, 10 UF, 13 OM, 14 LSU, 15 Aub, 16 A&M, 17 LSU, 18 Aub. There's been one just about every year since 09.

Doggie_Style
09-23-2019, 02:57 PM
I won't be 'happy' winning less than 8.....Joe owes us a couple from last season

msstate7
09-23-2019, 02:57 PM

We were favored over LSU in 2017?

BrunswickDawg
09-23-2019, 03:17 PM
Off the top of my head, here's some games we won as an underdog the last decade:
09 OM, 10 UF, 13 OM, 14 LSU, 15 Aub, 16 A&M, 17 LSU, 18 Aub. There's been one just about every year since 09.

None of those teams were actually any good ***

DownwardDawg
09-23-2019, 03:47 PM

Here’s the thing that kills me with all the mullin love around here. Mullen screwed up that season much worse than Moorehead screwed up last years season. That was all Mullen’s players, had been for years. Running his system, and he looked completely lost against Bama and gave them a 19 point head start before we ever started playing. Then he lost to an ole miss team that was depleted by injuries and we should have beat by 14 points or more. It was the worst coaching job in a long time that we didn’t finish 11-1 and possibly make the playoffs. That pisses me off as bad as Moorehead losing to Mullen last year. Damn I hate football sometimes. I need a beer.

Tbonewannabe
09-23-2019, 04:43 PM
Here’s the thing that kills me with all the mullin love around here. Mullen screwed up that season much worse than Moorehead screwed up last years season. That was all Mullen’s players, had been for years. Running his system, and he looked completely lost against Bama and gave them a 19 point head start before we ever started playing. Then he lost to an ole miss team that was depleted by injuries and we should have beat by 14 points or more. It was the worst coaching job in a long time that we didn’t finish 11-1 and possibly make the playoffs. That pisses me off as bad as Moorehead losing to Mullen last year. Damn I hate football sometimes. I need a beer.

Exactly, Moorhead isn't perfect but some people around here act like we ran off Saban. As bad as the 4 losses looked, Mullen had 1-3 of those almost every year. I will say if Mullen had not left then I think we win 10 games but would have somehow found a way to lose the Egg Bowl after getting the shit beat out of him at Bama. We then would have looked like shit at whatever bowl game because he was job shopping yet again.

DownwardDawg
09-23-2019, 04:46 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Tbonewannabe again.

I agree. I think Mullan would have won 10 games last year with his boy Fitz running his system. But he would have been beaten worse than we were against Bama and the egg bowl would have been a very close game. Probably would have lost the bowl game too while job searching. And zero chance we get Shrader, who looks like a future MSU star.

Todd4State
09-23-2019, 04:46 PM

Thank you. How soon some forget.

Honestly we're probably 12-0 if we DON'T do 1A/1B.

KOdawg1
09-23-2019, 04:47 PM
Didnt say I wanted an upset since 2014. I said I want an upset this year to make up for being upset by KState

dawgday166
09-23-2019, 04:50 PM
I won't be 'happy' winning less than 8.....Joe owes us a couple from last season

At least 3 IMO.

RougeDawg
09-23-2019, 04:51 PM
Didnt say I wanted an upset since 2014. I said I want an upset this year to make up for being upset by KState

I fear that the only upsetting thing we will see is what the track record has proven. We will have success with the run against a team and keep trying to pass on 1st down, stall drives and lose to lesser teams we were ramming the ball down their throat. KState is just the latest data point. See auburn and A&M games last year vs every other team with a pulse. Same shit. Different week.

DownwardDawg
09-23-2019, 04:52 PM
At least 3 IMO.

While we’re wishing on rainbows and unicorns, I want all the ones back that Mullen owes us. Let’s shoot for the stars!!!

Cooterpoot
09-23-2019, 04:53 PM
We should win 7. Upset A&M or AU and it’s 8 wins which would be a great season considering our deficiencies on defense and at WR. Especially with so much QB shakeup.

DownwardDawg
09-23-2019, 04:54 PM
I fear that the only upsetting thing we will see is what the track record has proven. We will have success with the run against a team and keep trying to pass on 1st down, stall drives and lose to lesser teams we were ramming the ball down their throat. KState is just the latest data point. See auburn and A&M games last year vs every other team with a pulse. Same shit. Different week.

If Shrader starts, I’m hoping to see last years game plan against Auburn.

dawgday166
09-23-2019, 04:56 PM
While we’re wishing on rainbows and unicorns, I want all the ones back that Mullen owes us. Let’s shoot for the stars!!!

I'm with you. FWIW .. I gave Mullen hell all the time about slacking on the job.

Todd4State
09-23-2019, 04:58 PM
If Shrader starts, I’m hoping to see last years game plan against Auburn.

The problem with that is Auburn's defense is among the best against the run this year.

That said, I don't think we should totally abandon the run either.

Tbonewannabe
09-23-2019, 05:15 PM

Against UK, we averaged 2 yards per rush and we had 28 rushes vs 32 pass attempts. So maybe by becoming even more 1 dimensional against a defense that was a top 25 defense on the road isn't the smartest thing. Not many teams is going to just be able to go on the road and ram it down the throat of a good to great defense.

was21
09-23-2019, 05:33 PM
Yes because we will win at least 7 games

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 05:51 PM

Eloquently and accurately put. Enjoy the brews.

BrunswickDawg
09-23-2019, 06:00 PM
The problem with that is Auburn's defense is among the best against the run this year.

Last year Auburn was averaging 92 rushing yards allowed thru 5 games before playing us, they are at 89 yards a game right now. The majority of this board saw the Auburn game as a loss coming off the UK and LSU games saying their run D would stuff us because they could load the box. We went for 359 yards on the ground.

dawgday166
09-23-2019, 06:05 PM
Last year Auburn was averaging 92 rushing yards allowed thru 5 games before playing us, they are at 89 yards a game right now. The majority of this board saw the Auburn game as a loss coming off the UK and LSU games saying their run D would stuff us because they could load the box. We went for 359 yards on the ground.

That was a real good game plan Joe came up with too. Hope he dials up another one.

You reckon they remember last year at all or is it waaayyy out of their minds this week?

Homedawg
09-23-2019, 06:33 PM
That was a real good game plan Joe came up with too. Hope he dials up another one.

You reckon they remember last year at all or is it waaayyy out of their minds this week?

We aren't playing at home and we don't have the number one defense.

RougeDawg
09-23-2019, 06:34 PM
Against UK, we averaged 2 yards per rush and we had 28 rushes vs 32 pass attempts. So maybe by becoming even more 1 dimensional against a defense that was a top 25 defense on the road isn't the smartest thing. Not many teams is going to just be able to go on the road and ram it down the throat of a good to great defense.

What stats and slide rule are you getting your YPC from? My math shows 40 rushes and 241 yards against UK. 6 YPC.

180 yards passing in 22 attempts. 8.2 yards per attempt.

MedDawg
09-23-2019, 06:40 PM
Here?s the thing that kills me with all the mullin love around here. Mullen screwed up that season much worse than Moorehead screwed up last years season. That was all Mullen?s players, had been for years. Running his system, and he looked completely lost against Bama and gave them a 19 point head start before we ever started playing. Then he lost to an ole miss team that was depleted by injuries and we should have beat by 14 points or more. It was the worst coaching job in a long time that we didn?t finish 11-1 and possibly make the playoffs. That pisses me off as bad as Moorehead losing to Mullen last year. Damn I hate football sometimes. I need a beer.

Agree. In 2014 Ole Miss bookended beating State with losses of 30-0 and 42-3.

DancingRabbit
09-23-2019, 08:35 PM
Agree. In 2014 Ole Miss bookended beating State with losses of 30-0 and 42-3.

That one was the worst.

RougeDawg
09-23-2019, 09:32 PM

Depends on whether or not Joe recognizes what is working and sticks with it or goes pass happy like KState when we were gashing them with the run.

Basically all of our questionable losses are for that very reason. At some point it has to be recognized by an offensive guru, right?

We have one of the best running backs in college football, and joe wanted to go pass happy in the 2nd half against KState when their defense was clearly worn down. Not only did we not keep gashing them, the incompletions extended the game and led to a loss. Not taking into account a true freshman QB, who would have benefitted from continuing to run the ball.

It really is not that complicated. Joe has only shown that he has the ability to see and maintain the flow of a game and keep doing what is working a couple times. Auburn and A&M last year. Maybe he will learn. I hope he does learn how to understand the flow of a game and call plays accordingly. Time will tell.

Tbonewannabe
09-23-2019, 10:17 PM
What stats and slide rule are you getting your YPC from? My math shows 40 rushes and 241 yards against UK. 6 YPC.

180 yards passing in 22 attempts. 8.2 yards per attempt.

Are you looking at the MSU vs UK box score from 2018? I just wanted to make sure that we are talking about the same game.

yjnkdawg
09-23-2019, 10:19 PM

The coaches and the players who were there remember it. I think we need to try to have a balanced attack. Show we can throw it down the field to open up the running game more. We just caught Auburn off guard last year with the motion offense. Something they hadn't seen and they never could make the necessary adjustments. After that it was available on video, for Aranda and other DC's to see. I agree. It was a great game plan, but it was designed specifically for the Auburn game.

Captain Falcon
09-23-2019, 10:34 PM

Worth noting that Auburn was dominant against the run until we played them last year too. Were giving up less than 100 yards a game on the ground in their first 5 games and then we gashed them for 349. Not saying it will happen again, but I don?t think we should just assume we can?t run on them.

yjnkdawg
09-23-2019, 10:45 PM
Worth noting that Auburn was dominant against the run until we played them last year too. Were giving up less than 100 yards a game on the ground in their first 5 games and then we gashed them for 349. Not saying it will happen again, but I don?t think we should just assume we can?t run on them.

If we can't show them that we can pass the ball consistently, I highly doubt that a run game will be effective. We threw something at them last year that they hadn't seen, and never could adjust their defense to our motion offense.

DancingRabbit
09-23-2019, 11:22 PM
If we can't show them that we can pass the ball consistently, I highly doubt that a run game will be effective. We threw something at them last year that they hadn't seen, and never could adjust their defense to our motion offense.

This needs to be the game when this year's OL balls drop.

I know we've had injuries and played what 10 guys? I really think this group can be good. I want to believe in Marcus Johnson; I like a lot of what I see.

This is going to be a play call game. Got to pass when they're thinking run. And vice versa. We have a top 10 in the nation RB. Garrett has to use his arm a little and his legs a little to let Kylin run.

We have a shot. If it was at home, I'd call a win.

I've talked a little sh!t in my support of Shoop. I need him to help me out a little.