PDA

View Full Version : Should we throw in some 2 QB goal line packages?

DancingRabbit
09-23-2019, 12:27 AM
If everybody's healthy, and you need a wrinkle. Joe mentions playing 2 occasionally. Tommy, Shrader (& Kylin) all have a nose for the endzone. Three guys in the backfield/TE that can run and 2 that can throw it.

I could see KT being in that mix too. Does he really want to play, or is he redshirting?

TNDawg35
09-23-2019, 05:42 AM
KT is done at State.

timotheus
09-23-2019, 06:31 AM
I figure KT keeps the phantom upper body injury all season.

MetEdDawg
09-23-2019, 06:51 AM
I figure KT keeps the phantom upper body injury all season.

Then I guess the question is why is he still here?

Todd4State
09-23-2019, 07:37 AM
I'd hate to burn Shrader's potential redshirt on a couple of gadget plays.

And I think we still would redshirt him if we are able to. Of course if he has to play you play him but I think there is a good chance Stevens will be back Saturday.

Todd4State
09-23-2019, 07:38 AM
Then I guess the question is why is he still here?

Because we're going to help him transfer and in exchange for that he is our emergency QB.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2019, 07:39 AM

And I think we still would redshirt him if we are able to. Of course if he has to play you play him but I think there is a good chance Stevens will be back Saturday.

Todd, he's good enough to play. You can't red shirt Shrader.

MetEdDawg
09-23-2019, 09:34 AM
Because we're going to help him transfer and in exchange for that he is our emergency QB.

I'm glad we are helping him out. But losing a year of eligibility to be our emergency QB sounds a little lopsided in our favor. We've still got Mayden who could theoretically play 4 games correct? We are 1/3 of the way through the season.

dantheman4248
09-23-2019, 09:44 AM
I'm glad we are helping him out. But losing a year of eligibility to be our emergency QB sounds a little lopsided in our favor. We've still got Mayden who could theoretically play 4 games correct? We are 1/3 of the way through the season.

He’s redshirting and trying to be immediately eligible next season to have 2 to play 2.

DancingRabbit
09-23-2019, 09:54 AM
He’s redshirting and trying to be immediately eligible next season to have 2 to play 2.

Wouldn't he have to go FCS to have 2 to play 2?

Ari Gold
09-23-2019, 09:56 AM
Odds are we are doing KT a Solid.. Letting him stay on scholarship, hoping injures don’t come into play so he can redshirt and he can have 2 to play 2 elsewhere.

With the 2 QB rotation , let’s see what happens. I trust Joe to handle this situation much better than a certain staff did after Dak graduated
And for all those that say Joe is hard headed and won’t change, looks to me like we ran a handful of 2 TE sets this past weekend. And I hope we continue to do this and do it even more.

Ari Gold
09-23-2019, 09:56 AM
Wouldn't he have to go FCS to have 2 to play 2?

KT was as early enroll and from what I gather a very good student. My guess is he may graduate this spring.
And will be able to go anywhere ..

DancingRabbit
09-23-2019, 09:59 AM
KT was as early enroll and from what I gather a very good student. My guess is he may graduate this spring.

Yeah, forgot that angle.

TrapGame
09-23-2019, 10:03 AM
I'm calling it now. Joe throws out a PSU play w/ Stevens lined up as WR and Shrader in at QB. It's just a wrinkle. It will probably be a straight hand off to Kylin. Then again he may make Gus waste a TO.

dantheman4248
09-23-2019, 10:11 AM
Odds are we are doing KT a Solid.. Letting him stay on scholarship, hoping injures don’t come into play so he can redshirt and he can have 2 to play 2 elsewhere.

With the 2 QB rotation , let’s see what happens. I trust Joe to handle this situation much better than a certain staff did after Dak graduated
And for all those that say Joe is hard headed and won’t change, looks to me like we ran a handful of 2 TE sets this past weekend. And I hope we continue to do this and do it even more.

My only gripe is that Joe makes these adjustments with his formations a week or two too late. See UK, UF, Auburn last year. I get you may not have the confidence in it because it wasn’t your gameplan all week, but he’s gotta be able to adjust on the fly more.

vv83
09-23-2019, 10:22 AM

If he graduates here there's no sitting out for him next season.

DancingRabbit
09-23-2019, 10:51 AM

Garrett has played in 3 already. I'm resolved to the fact that we are going to need him more than once more. I'd burn that 4th game on one play this Saturday if it was done strategically to help us win the game.

I figure Joe is thinking the same way. He was asked about it a while ago and Shrader redshirting didn't seem to be a strong focus.

I can't quite visualize Garrett being here 5 years.

Offshore Dawg
09-23-2019, 07:38 PM
If everybody's healthy, and you need a wrinkle. Joe mentions playing 2 occasionally. Tommy, Shrader (& Kylin) all have a nose for the endzone. Three guys in the backfield/TE that can run and 2 that can throw it.

I could see KT being in that mix too. Does he really want to play, or is he redshirting?

you have to get to the goal line first before you can run anything.

Todd4State
09-23-2019, 09:51 PM
Todd, he's good enough to play. You can't red shirt Shrader.

He is good enough to play. But so is Tommy Stevens when he is healthy. It really only makes sense to burn his redshirt if we absolutely have to. And we may very well have to. But if I'm Joe I would avoid it at all costs.

It's part of the bringing balance to our team that I've been talking about. If we can sync up a talent like Shrader with some of the 2021 receivers and to what we are recruiting right now 2023 could potentially be very special.

Now, obviously you don't mortgage 2019 over it if you can help it.

Todd4State
09-23-2019, 09:54 PM
Garrett has played in 3 already. I'm resolved to the fact that we are going to need him more than once more. I'd burn that 4th game on one play this Saturday if it was done strategically to help us win the game.

I figure Joe is thinking the same way. He was asked about it a while ago and Shrader redshirting didn't seem to be a strong focus.

I can't quite visualize Garrett being here 5 years.

We'll see. You never know how it's going to work out. Obviously you play him if you have to because of injuries. That's a lot different than burning his redshirt on a couple of gadget plays.

I think Shrader has the potential to be special. Perhaps special enough to leave early. But right now as well as he played the offense is still somewhat limited because of his inexperience.

Todd4State
09-23-2019, 09:58 PM
My only gripe is that Joe makes these adjustments with his formations a week or two too late. See UK, UF, Auburn last year. I get you may not have the confidence in it because it wasn’t your gameplan all week, but he’s gotta be able to adjust on the fly more.

I think we'll see less and less of that as he gets players that fit his system better. K-State this year a little bit different than those losses last year because of the injury to Stevens mid game.

Last year as far as adjusting to his personnel I think we all would have agreed that Fitzgerald running it a lot was a great strategy- which Joe did more than Dan even did. But the overall skillset that Fitz had didn't fit the scheme that Joe had.

RougeDawg
09-23-2019, 10:06 PM
There is much more to the KT situation than is being talked about. Do not expect him to play. Listen to Ari.

NWADAWG
09-24-2019, 09:01 AM
I'm glad we are helping him out. But losing a year of eligibility to be our emergency QB sounds a little lopsided in our favor.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed to me that it was more like this:
KT wanted out
KT entered the draft portal expecting lots of callers
There were no interesting callers
KT's options were to return or quit football
JoMo is being nice and letting him stay on scholarship until he leaves after the season.
KT will play up to 4 games if we need him but thanks to a Fr that is very talented and developing quickly, we probably won't need him.