PDA

View Full Version : Who Gives Us A Better Chance vs Auburn: GREATer or Stevens?

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 09:26 PM
May as well throw out all the debates tonight...

Assuming both are healthy:

Bubble boy can really throw & the offense has looked good with him, but Auburn's DL is something serious & our OL is going to struggle to keep the pass rush off the QB.

GREATer isn't as good of a passer, but he can virtually neutralize Auburn's pass rush with his mobility while also giving us the ability to run the QB.

I don't want to make this into a: who should be MSU's QB thread, but rather: Which guy actually gives us the best shot at beating Auburn?

dawgday166
09-22-2019, 09:33 PM
Personally, and I haven't seen enough to be sure yet, I think Tommy doesn't like to get hit, don't like his footwork on the move (what little I've seen), and I question his peripheral vision. If he has time and is light on the balls of his feet he throws a nice ball. He also seems to make presnap reads pretty well.

I'd probably start Tommy, but the hook might be somewhat quick if he's getting a little frantic when getting pressured. I don't know enough to have a good feel yet tho.

Cooterpoot
09-22-2019, 09:36 PM
Stevens because he the better passer

Homedawg
09-22-2019, 09:37 PM
Stevens. Won't be able to run all night on them. Course neither have ever started a game on the road so ...

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 09:38 PM
Stevens because he the better passer

He is a better passer. I'm just worried that Auburn DL will be camped out in our backfield.

If you told me we could block Auburn in pass pro, I'd go Stevens in a heart beat, but if we need a scrambler, you gotta go Shrader

Cooterpoot
09-22-2019, 09:40 PM
Shrader will be great. He’s not yet. He’s a Fr with a gimpy throwing shoulder.

Captain Falcon
09-22-2019, 10:06 PM
If Tommy is healthy it should probably be him. Shrader was good at home against a meh Kentucky team, but throwing him into the fire on the road against a Top 10 team could be rough. Granted, we may not have a choice if Tommy is still hurt. And Tommy doesn’t exactly have much experience playing in difficult environments either. But if he’s good to go, I’d probably go with the senior who is the superior passer anyway.

Todd4State
09-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Clearly Stevens. That's the only hope we have of getting their safeties out of the box which will give Kylin more room to run.

Shrader is very good but the offense is also limited because he is still learning.

Coach007
09-22-2019, 10:15 PM
Personally, and I haven't seen enough to be sure yet, I think Tommy doesn't like to get hit, don't like his footwork on the move (what little I've seen), and I question his peripheral vision. .

I think if it's designed, he is way better at running. He is not the scrambler Shrader is. BUT, he has made plenty of plays with his feet. The dropped pass by Gibson is one of them.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 06:35 AM
Stevens is a better runner than shrader on designed runs? Did i read that right?

timotheus
09-23-2019, 06:41 AM
maybe he got em mixed up?

Sienfield
09-23-2019, 06:49 AM
I say play the true freshman Shrader against Auburn's true freshman Nix. Shrader has a better awareness than Stevens. What was Shrader's completion percentage against Kentucky again? Both can run the ball good enough.

dawgday166
09-23-2019, 07:43 AM
Stevens is a better runner than shrader on designed runs? Did i read that right?

That's what I believe he said. I dunno ... I don't think it's even close between Shrader and Stevens in the who's the better runner category.

Madisonmd
09-23-2019, 07:44 AM
Remember guys, there is a body of work in fall camp that established who the better QB is...

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2019, 07:47 AM
Remember guys, there is a body of work in fall camp that established who the better QB is...

Correct, but even Hadad said in his podcast today that Shrader is waaay better in games than he looked in practice

Coursesuper
09-23-2019, 07:54 AM

Sadly, yes you did.

Jack Lambert
09-23-2019, 07:55 AM
Save the red shirt.

MedDawg
09-23-2019, 08:00 AM

Forget fall practice, that means nothing now. You can't even judge week one. Shrader is a lot better this week than he was last week.

However, if Stevens is healthy, I think he's a better and tighter passer to stretch out the defense. Shrader threw some accurate ducks that might have been intercepted by a better secondary. Shrader was better at scrambling and finding the open man, but I wonder if we changed up how our RB's and WR's stay back to give Shrader an easier 3rd pass option.

Shrader is better than an injured Stevens, so if Stevens is still injured, then start Shrader.

Dolphus Raymond
09-23-2019, 08:15 AM
Stevens.

NWADAWG
09-23-2019, 08:23 AM

I assumed that to mean that he's a much better runner on designed runs (can read the field, work off blockers, etc.) than he is on scrambles or improvised runs.

State82
09-23-2019, 08:28 AM
I think if it's designed, he is way better at running.

Wait, what??

Maroonthirteen
09-23-2019, 09:31 AM
Stevens for passing reasons. I think auburn shuts down our run.

But assuming Stevens can last a whole game .... is a stretch.

gravedigger
09-23-2019, 09:40 AM
May as well throw out all the debates tonight...

Assuming both are healthy:

Bubble boy can really throw & the offense has looked good with him, but Auburn's DL is something serious & our OL is going to struggle to keep the pass rush off the QB.

GREATer isn't as good of a passer, but he can virtually neutralize Auburn's pass rush with his mobility while also giving us the ability to run the QB.

I don't want to make this into a: who should be MSU's QB thread, but rather: Which guy actually gives us the best shot at beating Auburn?

Stevens. I dont think its really a tough decision either. You hold on to the redshirt of Shrader as long as you can. Stevens one job is to handle as much as he's physically capable THIS year.

Shrader's maturity will come over time. Cant remember if he has 1 or 2 games left to get to 4, and there may come the time when we HAVE to play him, but that decision needs to be made when it is a necessity and not before.

I understand the fans wanting Shrader, but it's just a bad decision untill we are left with no choice.

Maroonthirteen
09-23-2019, 10:09 AM
Shrader has played in 3 games. His redshirt will be burnt. No way he doesn’t play more the rest of the season.

Also I won’t be surprised if Stevens is out for weeks.