PDA

View Full Version : Let's start looking at some other candidates besides Hud

Coach34
10-26-2013, 03:23 PM
He may not be an option- we'll know more after Thanksgiving. If worst case scenario does indeed happen- who are some possible candidates?

No Hud, no Art Briles. Go!

CadaverDawg
10-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Mullen.

Because if it ain't Hud, we'll end up with the Wake Forest Special Teams coach by the time Scott finishes a search

HereComesTheSpiral
10-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Rent Petrino for a little bit

TrapGame
10-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Cam Cameron and if Muschamp is let go from UF take loan out to bring him in as DC.

maroonmania
10-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Don't understand why he wouldn't be an option if we are job he's wanted for a while as its been portrayed. MSU, as a football program, with all the infrastructure improvements should be more attractive than its ever been. Only a few non-SEC jobs out there that would trump being at most any school in the SEC for a Southern boy. But, if he should not be an option, then I don't see any rush to be looking at other coaches. Hud is the only one I know of that's at least semi-proven as a HC that would also come in with built in MS recruiting connections. With anyone else we would likely be starting over in both philosophy and recruiting.

ChevChelios
10-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Everyone needs to quit giving up on Mullen so soon. Next yr and from then on we will be a full on spread option team with a roster full of spread option qbs. No more game planning 2 qbs.

Thick
10-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Hawhaw Football Ed Orgeron

Thick
10-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Lane Kiffen and his hot wife

Will James
10-26-2013, 03:36 PM
my post didnt follow the rules

ckDOG
10-26-2013, 03:37 PM
He may not be an option- we'll know more after Thanksgiving. If worst case scenario does indeed happen- who are some possible candidates?

No Hud, no Art Briles. Go!

It would basically be the Mullen hire again, but what about Philip Montgomery at Baylor? Combo him with a legit DC and it would be a good combo. I doubt there are many good established HC candidates out there, but I don't keep up with all the conferences.

Coach34
10-26-2013, 03:39 PM
Don't understand why he wouldn't be an option if we are job he's wanted for a while as its been portrayed.

A) There are some things about State he doesnt like currently- and they arent changing

B) He has other options

C) It's my ****ing thread and those are the rules

Jacksondevildog
10-26-2013, 03:39 PM
That should be happening now, but it's not.
Everyone needs to quit giving up on Mullen so soon. Next yr and from then on we will be a full on spread option team with a roster full of spread option qbs. No more game planning 2 qbs.

civildawg
10-26-2013, 03:44 PM
That should be happening now, but it's not.

Exactly. I was mullen's biggest fan until this year. He just makes very dumb decisions.

Oh and my candidate would be mike leach

maroonmania
10-26-2013, 03:44 PM
A) There are some things about State he doesnt like currently- and they arent changing

B) He has other options

Understand that, and that is why my take was that if you take "getting Hud before some other BCS program does" out of the equation then I'm not really seeing the rush to look at other coaches without giving Mullen one more year with a more experienced team and a more manageable schedule.

Op4isabitch
10-26-2013, 03:45 PM
I'm not sure who but whoever it is needs to run an offense that can utilize the kids already on our roster. I wouldn't be in favor of doing what Auburn tried Chiziks last year.

joben3
10-26-2013, 03:47 PM

B) He has other options

What doesn't he currently like?

and I laughed out loud at c.

and bo pelini wouldnt be bad.

FlabLoser
10-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Petrina. But that one would never pass the straw vote at the Baptist Student Union.

Noxdog
10-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Lane Kiffen and his hot wife

+1 *****

** for Lane, not Layla.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-26-2013, 04:06 PM

Uh oh, here come the thread police

WeWillScrewItUp
10-26-2013, 04:06 PM

How dare you Will James, not following the rules.

DownwardDawg
10-26-2013, 04:17 PM
1. Petrino
2. Mike Leach
3. Keep Mullen

blacklistedbully
10-26-2013, 04:31 PM

B) He has other options

A) Bracky Brett?

Dawgfan77
10-26-2013, 04:40 PM
Chad Morris
Jason Simpson
Rich Rod (pipe dream)
Scott Frost ( may be the next HC at Nebraska)
Sonny Dykes
In no particular order.

Will James
10-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Bunt down the 3rd baseline

msstate7
10-26-2013, 04:45 PM
I really like kyle whittingham

HereComesTheSpiral
10-26-2013, 04:49 PM
Bunt down the 3rd baseline

Sure are a lot of freedom hating, communists, fascists killjoys going on in this thread

mic
10-26-2013, 04:50 PM
I really like kyle whittingham

I know for a fact he would have taken the job 5 years ago..

Dawgowar
10-26-2013, 04:53 PM
1. Mike Leach - anyone who will flat piss off the Bears. Leach's personality alone would be worth the hire.
2. Butch Johnson - there is no show cause and he can bring in talent - I mean if we are gonna work in the gray area of recruiting, lets get somebody who will get nasty.
3. Rich Rod - **** the ninja for leaving us.
4. Kirby Smart - clause in contract - Build a monster D and every two years hire a new OC from the Sunbelt, WAC, or CFL. Sooner or later some scheme will have more than one Dawg WR catch over 1000 in a season.

Coach34
10-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Chad Morris
Jason Simpson
Rich Rod (pipe dream)
Scott Frost ( may be the next HC at Nebraska)
Sonny Dykes
In no particular order.

Dykes aint leaving Cal for Sville
No thanks on Jason Simpson

Interesting though- Morris makes 1.3MM/yr and signed a 6 yr deal with Clemson

mic
10-26-2013, 04:54 PM
Kirby Smart
Hire a young OC that runs the offense for Dak and Stanley
Hire ex Miss State guys that want to be here and to sell the program to kids

Coach34
10-26-2013, 04:56 PM
4. Kirby Smart - clause in contract - Build a monster D and every two years hire a new OC from the Sunbelt, WAC, or CFL. Sooner or later some scheme will have more than one Dawg WR catch over 1000 in a season.

Smart has turned down better jobs than ours for some reason

HoopsDawg
10-26-2013, 04:57 PM
If we can't get Hud, I would just keep Mullen.

SignalToNoise
10-26-2013, 04:58 PM
Hardly any legitimate suggestions in this thread. If it was meant to prove a point that some people are just fixated on Hud, then mission accomplished.

preachermatt83
10-26-2013, 04:58 PM
1. Mike Leach - anyone who will flat piss off the Bears. Leach's personality alone would be worth the hire.
2. Butch Johnson - there is no show cause and he can bring in talent - I mean if we are gonna work in the gray area of recruiting, lets get somebody who will get nasty.
3. Rich Rod - **** the ninja for leaving us.

who is Butch Johnson?

Here is my list ... I try to be somewhat realistic... Rich Rod, Kirby Smart, Chad Morris are not Realistic..

1. Bobby Petrino
2. Philip Montgomery
3. Butch Davis
4. Mike Leach
5. Greg shiano

Dawgowar
10-26-2013, 05:05 PM
who is Butch Johnson?

Here is my list ... I try to be somewhat realistic... Rich Rod, Kirby Smart, Chad Morris are not Realistic..

1. Bobby Petrino
2. Philip Montgomery
3. Butch Davis
4. Mike Leach
5. Greg shiano

Davis -was thinking Dallas Cowboys since Davis coached the D there during some of the glory years. Butch Johnson was a WR for the Cowboys in the 70's.

Dawgowar
10-26-2013, 05:07 PM
Hardly any legitimate suggestions in this thread. If it was meant to prove a point that some people are just fixated on Hud, then mission accomplished.

Thought that was the point actually. My preference is for Mullen to stay.

MrKotter
10-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Hardly any legitimate suggestions in hithis thread. If it was meant to prove a point that some people are just fixated on Hud, then mission accomplished.
That's exactly what it is. And, yes, many are fixated on Hud. Can't blame them either.

Dawgface
10-26-2013, 05:14 PM
No Hud, stick it out with Mullen one more year. If he can't win with our schedule next year, he should be gone. Plus another year gives the AD a chance to seriously be thinking about a replacement. Because I doubt he is now.

Quaoarsking
10-26-2013, 05:17 PM
Already been mentioned, but:

Philip Montgomery
Mike Leach

Either of them would be home run hires.

Dawgowar
10-26-2013, 05:19 PM
No Hud, stick it out with Mullen one more year. If he can't win with our schedule next year, he should be gone. Plus another year gives the AD a chance to seriously be thinking about a replacement. Because I doubt he is now.

Stricklin - give him a year and he MAYBE will have an interview lined up with a JUCO up and comer.

Coach34
10-26-2013, 05:23 PM
Already been mentioned, but:

Philip Montgomery
Mike Leach

Either of them would be home run hires.

No thank you on Mike Leach

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-26-2013, 05:27 PM
Uh oh, here come the thread police

Coach34 has really been trying to antagonize the fire-Mullen crew since the Kentucky game hasn't he?

I'm guessing Coach is fighting for an unpopular stance for the sake of page views and what not, and it's working great.

Quaoarsking
10-26-2013, 05:36 PM
No thank you on Mike Leach

Why do you always hate on Leach? You've been doing it for years. Everywhere he goes, he wins, and at a much higher rate than his predecessor.

It's a myth that he has to have an elite QB to run his system --on multiple occasions he has taken a walk-on QB and thrown for 4000 yards with him. Tyler Russell is better than any QB than he's ever had; Leach just gets every single ounce of production he possibly can out of his QBs. He talks in his book about how he'd be happy to have a mobile QB and run some along with all the throwing if he could, so Dak would really shine in his system.

It's also a myth that he doesn't play defense -- his "surprising" (not to me) resurgence of Wazzu this year has been mostly thanks to defense. Leach just emphasized offense so much at Texas Tech because that's how the Big 12 does it and the only way he could compete. If he coached in the SEC, he'd know to take defense seriously.

Also, Leach can win the big game. He went 5-15 in 10 years against Texas and Oklahoma (no, not the greatest record, but wouldn't you love it if Mullen won 1/4th of the time against Alabama and LSU?) and is now 1-0 against USC. The guy flat out wins everywhere he goes.

gravedigger
10-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Don't quit your day job. If the result of saying that it's ****ing stupid to fire Mullen is that it is perceived by irrational posters to be antagonistic, their perception doesn't make that so.

And sometimes the popular majority means all the idiots are on the same side.

It is pure fantasy to believe Mullen will lose his job this year barring a home field repeat of 2008.

Fantasy and nothing more than that. This is message board fodder. He lays an egg next year or does something to publicly embarrass Msu or kenum and he's toast. Otherwise he'll go two years straight without a bowl before we let him go.

WeWillScrewItUp
10-26-2013, 05:50 PM
If I could has anyone I wanted I gotta throw his name out there, Jon Gruden. Watch, maroon tie on MNF this week.

Herm Edwards is another one. He does love Starkville.

Coach34
10-26-2013, 05:54 PM
Coach34 has really been trying to antagonize the fire-Mullen crew since the Kentucky game hasn't he?

I'm guessing Coach is fighting for an unpopular stance for the sake of page views and what not, and it's working great.

A) I still think we are going to win 6 games and all this is for naught

B) As I said if Mullen somehow loses the EB (which is highly doubtful), I will join the "Fire Mullen" crowd

C) Hud is not the shoo-in some think- and there are not alot of candidates out there that excite me

D) **** Mike Leach

Coach34
10-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Fantasy and nothing more than that. This is message board fodder. He lays an egg next year or does something to publicly embarrass Msu or kenum and he's toast. Otherwise he'll go two years straight without a bowl before we let him go.

Things I've heard this week lead me to believe if he loses out- he will indeed be fired

Quaoarsking
10-26-2013, 05:59 PM
D) **** Mike Leach

So that's your response to my question about why you hate him so much? That's the best you can do?

Seriously, the guy finds a way to win no matter where he goes. Do you hate his offensive system (even though he modifies it every year and job to whatever maximizes his chance for winning), or is it his personally that bothers you so much?

Homedawg
10-26-2013, 06:00 PM
What doesn't he currently like?

and I laughed out loud at c.

and bo pelini wouldnt be bad.

The guy that can't win big at Nebraska? No thanks.

Dawgfan77
10-26-2013, 06:15 PM
Dykes aint leaving Cal for Sville
No thanks on Jason Simpson

Interesting though- Morris makes 1.3MM/yr and signed a 6 yr deal with Clemson

Morris is the next big thing. 2.6 I bet we could get him.

mic
10-26-2013, 06:16 PM
So that's your response to my question about why you hate him so much? That's the best you can do?

Seriously, the guy finds a way to win no matter where he goes. Do you hate his offensive system (even though he modifies it every year and job to whatever maximizes his chance for winning), or is it his personally that bothers you so much?

If you all thought CDM couldn't recruit , check out his track record..
If you hire a coach with baggage you go after Bobby P..
I agree M Leach would be a bad hire..

Quaoarsking
10-26-2013, 06:19 PM
If you all thought CDM couldn't recruit , check out his track record..
If you bring in baggage you go after Bobby P..
I agree M Leach would be a bad hire..

Leach couldn't be any worse than Mullen at recruiting QBs, but he would get a lot of production out of them anyway. If Leach had been our coach since 2009, Russell would have over 15,0000 passing yards by now. Next year, Dylan Favre would pass for over 4,000.

Anyway, who cares what the recruiting rankings are if he can beat the big boys 25% of the time or more?

And Leach doesn't have any "baggage." Adam James himself admits that Leach did nothing wrong and Texas Tech had been looking for an excuse to fire him so they wouldn't have to give him a big bonus check for making his 10th bowl in 10 seasons.

Coach34
10-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Morris is the next big thing. 2.6 I bet we could get him.

Some OC's are very careful about where they jump to. He may skip us by to wait for a better offer at a school that is easier to win at.

It's not money with alot of coaches- especially when nobody leaves State to go on to better things

Coach34
10-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Leach couldn't be any worse than Mullen at recruiting QBs, but he would get a lot of production out of them anyway. If Leach had been our coach since 2009, Russell would have over 15,0000 passing yards by now. Next year, Dylan Favre would pass for over 4,000.

Anyway, who cares what the recruiting rankings are if he can beat the big boys 25% of the time or more?

I just think Leach would be a terrible hire for us. He wouldnt fit in- you think Mullen rubs some people the wrong way? Leach would be like sandpaper. Ole Miss tried to get Leach interested in them- and he wasnt for what it's worth.

mic
10-26-2013, 06:22 PM

And Leach doesn't have any "baggage." Adam James himself admits that Leach did nothing wrong and Texas Tech had been looking for an excuse to fire him so they wouldn't have to give him a big bonus check for making his 10th bowl in 10 seasons.

The Big 12 isn't the big boys..

Dawg61
10-26-2013, 06:24 PM
1. Lovie Smith, I just like this guy and think the real Bears did him dirty.

2. Jim Leavitt, built South Florida up from a school that didn't have a football program all the way to #2 in the BCS rankings. Alabama offered him the job and supposedly sent him a contract and all he had to do was sign it. He didn't and then got fired by USF for supposedly punching a player. He's currently the LB coach for the San Francisco 49ers. This hire would be an absolute steal. He deserves another chance. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Leavitt

3. Mike Gundy, he hates Oklahoma State.

4. The head coach at EMCC, we'd have a jv program at EMCC that we can funnel any and all future players through plus he is destroying teams.

grinnindawg
10-26-2013, 06:24 PM
Jeff Bower.
See what I did there?
Be careful what you wish for.

gravedigger
10-26-2013, 06:35 PM
And I think there is some validity to what you heard, but my opinion is that would be the case ONLY if HUD or a major name were secured before the trigger was pulled.

Another poster put it pretty well. What most of us message board cowboys don't understand is that the serious money givers suffered through much worse than croom and Jackie's last three years.

The 50's 60's and early 70's were 25 years of hell. The 80's were only good for 2 years.

This has been the best 3 year stretch only matched by 98-00. Only.

Those people who experienced that are not great in number on message boards. But they matter.

It's time we who follow message boards understand that those who fronted the money in the hard times to expand Davis wade and dudy noble and bought tickets when we couldn't win 6 games to save our lives, still have a sayso.

I'm right between the two groups. It's a mind scramble to keep in perspective.

maroonmania
10-26-2013, 06:36 PM
Things I've heard this week lead me to believe if he loses out- he will indeed be fired

I repeat, the ONLY reason to make a move this year if we don't make a bowl is to get Hud (because he's a perceived long term perfect fit for us) while he is still available. If we are just trying to identify a reasonably good candidate among the general population of coaches, well hell's bells that will be available to us ANY and EVERY year we want.

sbcmortgageman
10-26-2013, 07:05 PM

Ding ding ding

DownwardDawg
10-26-2013, 07:11 PM
I repeat, the ONLY reason to make a move this year if we don't make a bowl is to get Hud (because he's a perceived long term perfect fit for us) while he is still available. If we are just trying to identify a reasonably good candidate among the general population of coaches, well hell's bells that will be available to us ANY and EVERY year we want.

I think most of us agree with you. The ONLY way I want to get rid of MUllen this year is if we get Hud.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
10-26-2013, 10:11 PM
Why is nobody mentioning Curtis Johnson at Tulane? They are bowl eligible in his second year and is an excellent recruiter. I think that Stricklin will shy away from Hudspeth because he cheated on his wife with a cheerleader at North Alabama, although I think he is the man for the job. I also don't think Stricklin will make the big boy decision to fire Mullen. I do hear the Tight Ends Coach at Wake Forest is an excellent candidate for the job! (They don't run any tight ends)

Dawg61
10-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Why is nobody mentioning Curtis Johnson at Tulane? They are bowl eligible in his second year and is an excellent recruiter. I think that Stricklin will shy away from Hudspeth because he cheated on his wife with a cheerleader at North Alabama, although I think he is the man for the job. I also don't think Stricklin will make the big boy decision to fire Mullen. I do hear the Tight Ends Coach at Wake Forest is an excellent candidate for the job! (They don't run any tight ends)

People are asking for Petrino to get a look. What Petrino did is like murder compared to Hudspeth getting his dick wet 5 years ago. It's North Alabama! If he wasn't running through the cheerleading squad I'd think something's wrong with him and in case you couldn't guess I'm not married.

bobcat91
10-26-2013, 11:47 PM
I am a Mullen supporter. I do think he will make changes with the coaching staff at the end of the year. But as far as someone to look at in a year or two. Here you go. Not saying just saying.

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=35786&SPID=2798&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=205824380&Q_SEASON=2013

theloungeinleft
10-26-2013, 11:57 PM
Petrina. But that one would never pass the straw vote at the Baptist Student Union.

hahahahahahaha. +1

Dawgfan77
10-27-2013, 06:47 AM
Tony Levine HC an Houston would be on my list
With the pressure at Nebraska and the success Oregon is having you would think Frost would be a shoe in as the next HC for the Huskers

bluelightstar
10-27-2013, 08:50 AM
I suspect Chris Petersen is going to want to get out of Boise

DownwardDawg
10-27-2013, 09:33 AM
I suspect Chris Petersen is going to want to get out of Boise

It would be a hell of a recruitment by someones Medical Staff. You know the story about his kid right? He's had MANY opportunities to leave Boise St. and has turned them all down due to the medical staff that treats his kid. Money ain't everything.

Covercorner2
10-27-2013, 09:47 AM
Kliff Kingsbury. We would never get him, but none of these dumbasses mentioned him. Guy can coach

civildawg
10-27-2013, 09:59 AM
It seems like we change staff every year. If changing the staff hasn't worked in the past 5 years then you need to start looking at yourself

DownwardDawg
10-27-2013, 10:09 AM
Kliff Kingsbury. We would never get him, but none of these dumbasses mentioned him. Guy can coach

That's why we didn't mention him......dubmass.***

Rick Danko
10-27-2013, 10:11 AM
Ole Hootin Dale is looking to get back in the game. Bet we could get him on the cheap******

Wade Garrett
10-27-2013, 10:23 AM
Jeff Bower.
See what I did there?
Be careful what you wish for.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^