PDA

View Full Version : Joe has to Play Willie Gay vs Auburn

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 04:44 PM
Have been thinking about this today and, after the win yesterday, this team believes in itself. They know the difference Willie makes by being on the field and it'll be a let down along with telling the team you don't believe in them, if Willie doesn't play.

You can say our chances aren't great in winning this game next weekend, but they're a hell of a lot better with Willie Gay than without.

After this weekend, Joe can't send that message to his team by not playing Willie.

I'd play him.

Coursesuper
09-22-2019, 04:50 PM
Um, no. Have to see the big picture here.

Coach007
09-22-2019, 04:52 PM
Have been thinking about this today and, after the win yesterday, this team believes in itself. They know the difference Willie makes by being on the field and it'll be a let down along with telling the team you don't believe in them, if Willie doesn't play.

You can say our chances aren't great in winning this game next weekend, but they're a hell of a lot better with Willie Gay than without.

After this weekend, Joe can't send that message to his team by not playing Willie.

I'd play him.

I'm feel confident that we will play him and Autry.

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 05:02 PM
Um, no. Have to see the big picture here.

On paper I get your point, but you can't motivate a team like that.

Joe can't stand in the locker room at Jordan Hare and tell the players he believes in them while not playing the best player.

On the other hand, he can bench him vs TN and sell the rest of the team on not needing Willie to beat Tennessee.

There is human psychology at play here.

vv83
09-22-2019, 05:06 PM
If he plays he obviously has to sit the first half so how would his suspension work? Only can play second half but it counts as a full game and he’d only have 2 left? I assume yesterday counted as a full 1 of his 4 games he could play even tho he only played first half

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 05:07 PM
You have to let these players compete for the West until they prove they can't. Not playing Willie vs Auburn would be telling the team they aren't good enough

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 05:08 PM
If he plays he obviously has to sit the first half so how would his suspension work? Only can play second half but it counts as a full game and he’d only have 2 left? I assume yesterday counted as a full 1 of his 4 games he could play even tho he only played first half

His penalty was in the first half, so he doesn't have to sit anymore.

dantheman4248
09-22-2019, 05:08 PM
I wonder if the players chose their own and that was Moorhead’s way of dealing with it being next man up. Choose 4 game weeks ahead of the season that you want to play.

That makes Autry’s USM choice make sense. Autry could have chosen USM, UK, Alabama, Ole Miss. Gay could have chosen UK, LSU, Alabama, OM.

Ifyouonlyknew
09-22-2019, 05:10 PM
I wonder if the players chose their own and that was Moorhead’s way of dealing with it being next man up. Choose 4 game weeks ahead of the season that you want to play.

That makes Autry’s USM choice make sense. Autry could have chosen USM, UK, Alabama, Ole Miss. Gay could have chosen UK, LSU, Alabama, OM.

No the players don't choose.

RiverCityDawg
09-22-2019, 05:11 PM
On paper I get your point, but you can't motivate a team like that.

Joe can't stand in the locker room at Jordan Hare and tell the players he believes in them while not playing the best player.

On the other hand, he can bench him vs TN and sell the rest of the team on not needing Willie to beat Tennessee.

There is human psychology at play here.

I couldn't agree more. Have to do all you can to win it.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2019, 05:15 PM
It's a shame because of 10
Knuckleheads joe has to be put in this position. Got to make the best decisions and I won't fault him no matter how he decides to do it because he has more info than all of us combined on here.

TrapGame
09-22-2019, 05:15 PM
I agree with you Gun.

basedog
09-22-2019, 05:22 PM
I sorta agree but I ain’t buying the part about no motivation IF Willie doesn’t play. Joe has passion, he just doesn’t act like a wild man on the sideline. I’ve seen several post game speeches and I see why the players love him.

Gonna be tough playing on the road especially but anything is possible.

What’s more interesting to me will be Qb situation going forward. I have mixed emotions.

Coach007
09-22-2019, 05:31 PM
TAMU held Auburn to 299 yards. One carry went for 57 yards and it was his only run.

I 100% believe that Ms ST can stop Auburn and win this game and it is a building moment.

Hold players to beat the Hogs does what? Sends a message that we feel we can't compete with the hogs so we gotta have everybody. And with everybody we can't compete with a sub par Auburn team.

Go all out. Hold them to 250 and get our 400 plus yards and win

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 05:37 PM
TAMU held Auburn to 299 yards. One carry went for 57 yards and it was his only run.

I 100% believe that Ms ST can stop Auburn and win this game and it is a building moment.

Hold players to beat the Hogs does what? Sends a message that we feel we can't compete with the hogs so we gotta have everybody. And with everybody we can't compete with a sub par Auburn team.

I agree.

I realize it isn't ideal, but the difference between 6 and 7 wins is irrelevant to me. Players don't play for that. They play to win championships and it's the right thing to do to offer them every chance to do that.

Play Willie vs Auburn
Sit vs TN

If we win both Aub and TN, play him vs LSU.

If we beat LSU, play him vs Bama.

If we lose to Aub and LSU, save him for OM.

You have to give the kids hope. It's the right thing to do.

DancingRabbit
09-22-2019, 05:40 PM
I don't automatically hate the idea. Obviously Joe has more info to work with, yada yada yada, so I'm probably not gonna 2nd guess too hard.

I do like the idea of being aggressive in making this decision.

But whatever decision he makes, he can explain it to the team.

Cooterpoot
09-22-2019, 08:24 PM
We ain?t beating AU. Don?t waste players on a road game to AU. A&M would be wiser.

Homedawg
09-22-2019, 08:25 PM

I'd play him.

Um no...

Homedawg
09-22-2019, 08:27 PM

You really believe that?? Omg. Just omg.

Coach34
09-22-2019, 08:28 PM
Wasting him in a sure loss would be ridiculous

Homedawg
09-22-2019, 08:29 PM

Our 400 huh? When has our offense done this vs a good d? But whatever.

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 08:34 PM

So, as a coach, how would you make your team believe this week when your actions clearly show that you do not?

Cooterpoot
09-22-2019, 08:38 PM
You tell your team to nut up and get it done. You don’t 17 up for the sake of pride.

Homedawg
09-22-2019, 08:39 PM
So, as a coach, how would you make your team believe this week when your actions clearly show that you do not?

So based on that we play them against bama too??

I seen it dawg
09-22-2019, 08:40 PM
My rationale is this...we desperately have to make a bowl game. We have so many inexperienced guys the extra practice time and playing another game is crucial for 2020. Weighing what we have left we have to win 3 and our greatest chance of getting those is winning 2 of tenn, ark, and shitbirds. 2 of those being on the road and even though those teams are dogshit anything can happen on the road in the sec. I just don't think playing everyone at auburn gives us a better chance at winning than playing everyone at tenn and at ark. And OM should be out of the question sitting anyone. Ever.

msstate7
09-22-2019, 08:41 PM

Tell the team that bc gay got that penalty we're suspending him this week haha

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 08:45 PM
You tell your team to nut up and get it done. You don’t 17 up for the sake of pride.

So you put a ton of pride in going 7-5 over 6-6? Why does that matter to you?

How do you tell players that your not trying to win the West?

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 08:45 PM
So based on that we play them against bama too??

If the game is meaningful in deciding the SEC West, absolutely.

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 08:48 PM
Tell the team that bc gay got that penalty we're suspending him this week haha

So lie to your players? Maybe makeup a fake injury while your at it.

Look, we're in uncharted territory here. I don't think any of you have bad opinions on this.

I'm just saying, if I'm a player, I'm want Joe to play Willie in games that we really really need him in order to compete for the West. I also get the bowl game argument, but I think not playing him now does way more damage to the program and the team psychology than not being able to play him later.

Homedawg
09-22-2019, 08:49 PM
If the game is meaningful in deciding the SEC West, absolutely.

Omg... based on how you are saying do it now, he wont have any games left then... but whatever...

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 08:49 PM
We ain?t beating AU. Don?t waste players on a road game to AU. A&M would be wiser.

You try to motivate your team with that belief

Cooterpoot
09-22-2019, 08:51 PM
So you put a ton of pride in going 7-5 over 6-6? Why does that matter to you?

How do you tell players that your not trying to win the West?

We beat TN, AR, OM, AC, and take our shot at A&M. That’s 8 wins bud.

ShotgunDawg
Omg... based on how you are saying do it now, he wont have any games left then... but whatever...

So?

What does it matter if he doesn't have anymore games left? How do sell your team on sitting it's best player with the SEC West on the line?

I feel like I'm arguing with the most non-competitive people on Earth right now. Good gracious.

Randolph Dupree
I don't think AU is a sure loss. I still believe they are very beatable, but we will need everyone to do it and we will have to play better than we have at any point this far. My take is you play Gay and everyone against AU, LSU and A&M. We shouldn't need them to beat UT, Arkansas Or Ole Miss and we aren't beating Bama so why would you not play them?

Homedawg
So lie to your players? Maybe makeup a fake injury while your at it.

Look, we're in uncharted territory here. I don't think any of you have bad opinions on this.

I'm just saying, if I'm a player, I'm want Joe to play Willie in games that we really really need him in order to compete for the West. I also get the bowl game argument, but I think not playing him now does way more damage to the program and the team psychology than not being able to play him later.

But we don't have a chance to compete for the west... I know it. You know it. Everyone besides 3/4 morons know it. Win 7, go to a bowl win 8 and move on. Don't risk a chance at another screw up... heck everyone said we'd beat Ksu wo them too and we didn't

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 08:52 PM
We beat TN, AR, OM, AC, and take our shot at A&M. That’s 8 wins bud.

I get the A&M argument. I just don't see how Joe motivates the team Saturday when he's sitting his best defensive player because he doesn't think we can win. That's just me.

Homedawg
09-22-2019, 08:54 PM
I don't think AU is a sure loss. I still believe they are very beatable, but we will need everyone to do it and we will have to play better than we have at any point this far. My take is you play Gay and everyone against AU, LSU and A&M. We shouldn't need them to beat UT, Arkansas Or Ole Miss and we aren't beating Bama so why would you not play them?

Maybe not. But we don't have a good track record there. And there strength is our weakness. Run d. And that's w our best.
ETA and if we don't have them against ole miss and were to lose, Lord help him.

ShotgunDawg
But we don't have a chance to compete for the west..

And that's exactly the message you'll be sending your team if Willie doesn't play Saturday. There are consequences for sending that message. Players don't see it like us.

Coach34

You have talked about playing who is available from the start and keep on with the "next man up" mantra. This goes for when he doesnt play vs Bama, LSU, and whoever else. These guys are next level and most believe they are headed for the NFL- even when its obvious to us they are not. Washington, Lewis, and crew think that because Gay isnt playing- it gives them more of a chance to show the NFL they belong. They are thinking "this is a money game and I'm going out Saturday to make that money in The League". Hell- HS kids have this mentality.

True story- I have a Sr that doesnt start and plays maybe 15 plays on Friday. Has amassed a whopping 22 yards of offense this season. He is 5'8/170 and is a 4.8 in the 40. He missed film session last Monday- why? He was in the counselor's office filling out his NCAA Clearinghouse information online so he could be recruited. What players see and feel is vastly different from real world reality. Gay not playing just tells most of the other players they are playing more Saturday.

Cooterpoot
09-22-2019, 08:55 PM
Tell them we signed them to win ****ing games. It’s time they do it and not depend on the guys suspended. Go prove you can handle it.

Homedawg
09-22-2019, 08:56 PM
I get the A&M argument. I just don't see how Joe motivates the team Saturday when he's sitting his best defensive player because he doesn't think we can win. That's just me.

I don't think any good coach thinks he can't win. However, w that said, besides AC he doesn't overlook anyone as an easy win either. See playing Autry against usm

Commercecomet24
09-22-2019, 08:57 PM
And that's exactly the message you'll be sending your team if Willie doesn't play Saturday. There are consequences for sending that message. Players don't see it like us.

Players knew what these 10
Knuckle heads did before the season started and they know Joe has tough decisions to make. They ain't looking at it like you're looking at it.

I seen it dawg
09-22-2019, 08:58 PM
The way the schedule sets up doesn't help. We dont have the luxury to just see what happens week to week before we decide who to play. You have to play them against the shitbirds. Now you're down to 2. Got to play them at Arkansas to insure a win bc the game is so late. Now down to 1.

At tenn
At AM
At Aub
Abilene

That's your choices as Bama and LSU are out. Abilene we know that's out. So it's the 3 road games. Which one do we have the best chance of winning? You have to play the guys in that game. Have to be realistic and put the bowl game above everything else. And the argument is flawed by saying it's mental on the guys by admitting defeat not playing them against auburn. Those same guys have participated in 3 wins you don't think they think they can go and win?

Win the west? Shit you're insulting the intelligence of everyone in the program if that's the schtick you throw out there at those guys.

Homedawg
09-22-2019, 08:59 PM

So jomo is stupid and thinks we will?? Dude he's fighting to save his job. A bowl does that. Not going to one doesn't help. We beat uk be realistic. And I'll say it now, if we play our guys sat , ill support the guy, he will have his reasons. But don't come here bitching after we get smoked and we lose a game later when they could have mattered.

Homedawg
09-22-2019, 09:01 PM
The way the schedule sets up doesn't help. We dont have the luxury to just see what happens week to week before we decide who to play. You have to play them against the shitbirds. Now you're down to 2. Got to play them at Arkansas to insure a win bc the game is so late. Now down to 1.

At tenn
At AM
At Aub
Abilene

That's your choices as Bama and LSU are out. Abilene we know that's out. So it's the 3 road games. Which one do we have the best chance of winning? You have to play the guys in that game. Have to be realistic and put the bowl game above everything else. And the argument is flawed by saying it's mental on the guys by admitting defeat not playing them against auburn. Those same guys have participated in 3 wins you don't think they think they can go and win?

Win the west? Shit you're insulting the intelligence of everyone in the program if that's the schtick you throw out there at those guys.

This is so perfect. Except I'd play them at ut and worry about ark later. Which means I'd play them at both. As I've said.

I seen it dawg
09-22-2019, 09:02 PM
And we don't want to be at 5 wins headed into the shitbird game. You talk about a super bowl for them....

Commercecomet24
09-22-2019, 09:02 PM
So jomo is stupid and thinks we will?? Dude he's fighting to save his job. A bowl does that. Not going to one doesn't help. We beat uk be realistic. And I'll say it now, if we play our guys sat , ill support the guy, he will have his reasons. But don't come here bitching after we get smoked and we lose a game later when they could have mattered.

This. Joe got given a short stick and has tough decisions to make I won't fault him no matter when he plays these guys cause he's trying to win.

I seen it dawg
09-22-2019, 09:03 PM
This is so perfect. Except I'd play them at ut and worry about ark later. Which means I'd play them at both. As I've said.

Yeah I've said tenn all along. When the season started it was always ky, tenn, ark, OM.

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 09:04 PM

At tenn
At AM
At Aub
Abilene

Hell no you don't have to play them vs Arkansas. What a waste. If you took "ARKANSAS" off their jersey & replaced it with "Northwest Arkansas State" would you still play them? Because that's exactly the type of team they are

This is the most non-competitive BS I've ever read. Goodness we are soft ass program.

Coach34
09-22-2019, 09:08 PM
playing in Arkansas in the month of November is not a pleasant experience. Ask LSU and OM a couple of years ago. You dont take any chances

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 09:08 PM
This. Joe got given a short stick and has tough decisions to make I won't fault him no matter when he plays these guys cause he's trying to win.

They are very tough decisions & I'm not the one trying to save my $3 mil job either. So it's easy for me to say to play them vs Auburn & sit vs Arkansas when I have no risk in the matter.

It's complicated for sure.

I just know that if I were a player, I'd want my coach to give me every opportunity of winning the West before pulling the plug. Obviously it's more complicated than that & there is probably a balance somewhere in there.

I seen it dawg
09-22-2019, 09:10 PM
Hell no you don't have to play them vs Arkansas. What a waste. If you took "ARKANSAS" off their jersey & replaced it with "Northwest Arkansas State" would you still play them? Because that's exactly the type of team they are

This is the most non-competitive BS I've ever read. Goodness we are soft ass program.

They might get better. We might get a guy or 2 hurt. And now we don't have our full roster bc we thought we could go to auburn and roll their ass up and win the ****ing west instead of being big picture smart. This isn't being soft it's not being emotional and ****ing stupid. I'm glad Im as far away as possible on this from you.

I seen it dawg
09-22-2019, 09:11 PM
playing in Arkansas in the month of November is not a pleasant experience. Ask LSU and OM a couple of years ago. You dont take any chances

It's unreal the lack of vision

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 09:11 PM
They might get better. We might get a guy or 2 hurt. And now we don't have our full roster bc we thought we could go to auburn and roll their ass up and win the ****ing west instead of being big picture smart. This isn't being soft it's not being emotional and ****ing stupid. I'm glad Im as far away as possible on this from you.

Joe has been forced to make tough decisions.

We can agree on that right?

Commercecomet24
09-22-2019, 09:12 PM
They are very tough decisions & I'm not the one trying to save my $3 mil job either. So it's easy for me to say to play them vs Auburn & sit vs Arkansas when I have no risk in the matter.

It's complicated for sure.

Agreed. It's sucks that he even has to deal with this cause 10 guys couldn't take care of their business. It's why he gets paid the big bucks though. If he gets through this winning 7-8 games then he deserves props for holding the team together and getting it done

I seen it dawg
09-22-2019, 09:16 PM
Joe has been forced to make tough decisions.

We can agree on that right?

And that's what he gets paid to do. But shit you're yelling about just beating auburn as if that's the whole season. It is complicated and is tough decisions that's why you have to look at the totality of it not just this Saturday. And i bet he has had these same discussions with the team as a way to teach these guys that selfish actions by some hurt the whole and tough decisions come of it. It's ****ing coaching the season and the future not just one week. Not making a bowl game this yr wipes out every single positive thing we have done or may do this yr including any wins we shouldn't get.

dawgday166
09-22-2019, 09:18 PM
Hell, I'm about ready to say let's play Gay/Autry and see what we got. Then if we get boat raced, or even lose a close one, we can listen to 10-2 instead of 11-1 and argue about playing Gay against LSU and Bama ***

If we win I'll be damn glad I was wrong and will admit it.

sleepy dawg
09-22-2019, 09:28 PM
Call me a pessimist, but I just don't think we have much of a shot at Auburn with Gay and especially not without him unless Stevens if fully healthy which he won't be.

Todd4State
09-22-2019, 09:59 PM
Players knew what these 10
Knuckle heads did before the season started and they know Joe has tough decisions to make. They ain't looking at it like you're looking at it.

It doesn't help that IMO we probably over punished ourselves. Which is why we need to take a hard look at compliance.

Todd4State
09-22-2019, 10:03 PM
Playing Autry against Auburn makes more sense than Gay. Auburn is very one dimensional and we need to load up the box because they are only throwing it about 20 times a game. Gay is better in coverage and would be most useful against LSU, A&M, and Alabama. One thing to think about- if we get bowl eligible we could play everyone one more game. I'm 100% sure that we're going to make sure that we're bowl eligible before we do that though. But it may give us Autry for one more game and then we could sit him out in the bowl game potentially.

Really the biggest thing is we need to get Stevens back. If we can pass on them at least some we could keep it close if not have a chance to win.

Of course, this is starting to look like a "lucky" Auburn year anyway and they could very well run the table somehow.

Todd4State
09-22-2019, 10:05 PM
And that's what he gets paid to do. But shit you're yelling about just beating auburn as if that's the whole season. It is complicated and is tough decisions that's why you have to look at the totality of it not just this Saturday. And i bet he has had these same discussions with the team as a way to teach these guys that selfish actions by some hurt the whole and tough decisions come of it. It's ****ing coaching the season and the future not just one week. Not making a bowl game this yr wipes out every single positive thing we have done or may do this yr including any wins we shouldn't get.

IMO- Auburn is the biggest game of the season. We somehow win that and then all of a sudden we are looking like a potential 9-3 team with losses to LSU and Alabama. If we don't 8-4 is our ceiling with 7-5 being very possible barring us not getting upset again like K-State.

Cowbell
09-22-2019, 10:47 PM
It doesn't help that IMO we probably over punished ourselves. Which is why we need to take a hard look at compliance.

Watch it. This hits to close to home...dawg.

Todd4State
09-22-2019, 10:55 PM

To be clear that wasn't directed at Homedawg.

I think the suspensions should have been more like 4 games than 8. And if we had done that I think we still would have gotten "Exemplary cooperation". We have to not overpenalize ourselves to the point where it hurts the program more than it actually should.

It would be like me paying 3000 dollars for a speeding ticket when I could have paid 200.

Lord McBuckethead
09-22-2019, 11:47 PM
I agree.

I realize it isn't ideal, but the difference between 6 and 7 wins is irrelevant to me. Players don't play for that. They play to win championships and it's the right thing to do to offer them every chance to do that.

Play Willie vs Auburn
Sit vs TN

If we win both Aub and TN, play him vs LSU.

If we beat LSU, play him vs Bama.

If we lose to Aub and LSU, save him for OM.

You have to give the kids hope. It's the right thing to do.

That is actually a damn good take. I like it.

Liverpooldawg
09-23-2019, 02:51 AM

I think the suspensions should have been more like 4 games than 8. And if we had done that I think we still would have gotten "Exemplary cooperation". We have to not overpenalize ourselves to the point where it hurts the program more than it actually should.

It would be like me paying 3000 dollars for a speeding ticket when I could have paid 200.

For what they did the suspensions are what the NCAA calls for. When we don't self impose we get hammered worse than what they call for. It sucks but that is our history with the NCAA.

Liverpooldawg
09-23-2019, 02:54 AM
I wouldn't play any of the suspended players this week, or against Bama and LSU. We aren't going to Auburn and winning. Given everything that has happened the goal has to be to get to a bowl, any bowl. You play Gay against Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Arkansas.

Liverpooldawg
09-23-2019, 03:18 AM
I wouldn't play any of the suspended players this week, or against Bama and LSU. We aren't going to Auburn and winning. Given everything that has happened the goal has to be to get to a bowl, any bowl. You play Gay against Ole Miss, Tennessee, and Arkansas.

Todd4State
09-23-2019, 06:28 AM
For what they did the suspensions are what the NCAA calls for. When we don't self impose we get hammered worse than what they call for. It sucks but that is our history with the NCAA.

This isn't 1974 anymore. And some people in our AD need to understand that.

MrKotter
09-23-2019, 06:41 AM

We did over penalize ourselves. We always do. Brett is ,and has always been, in way over his head for this job. He should have been fired for his screwing of Will Redmond. I will never understand why we think having someone with a background in physical education is acceptable for running the compliance office. He has to go

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2019, 07:04 AM

It's a tough decision. The odds are weighted against us this week & what your saying works a spreadsheet, but I just don't see how you motivate a team to go into Auburn & compete while your telling the team they can't win.

If fine with Willie playing this week & I'm fine if he doesn't but we play well. What I'm not fine with is Willie sitting & us getting blown out

msstate7
09-23-2019, 07:06 AM
It's a tough decision. The odds are weighted against us this week & what your saying works a spreadsheet, but I just don't see how you motivate a team to go into Auburn & compete while your telling the team they can't win.

If fine with Willie playing this week & I'm fine if he doesn't but we play well. What I'm not fine with is Willie sitting & us getting blown out

What about Willie playing and we still lose by 2 TDs?

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2019, 07:09 AM

Depends on how we get there.

Hopefully Joe has prepared the team for how to deal with this. Other than Autry randomly playing vs USM, which was inexcusable, this Auburn game is the first game where the rubber meets the road with these suspensions IMO

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2019, 07:11 AM

What if we don't play Willie & lose by 6?

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2019, 07:14 AM
Bo Bounds has already screwed up this morning by saying that Willie would have to sit the first half vs Auburn.

No he doesn't. Since his ejection was in the first half vs Kentucky, he's eligible to play the 1st half vs Auburn

msstate7
09-23-2019, 07:22 AM
What if we don't play Willie & lose by 6?

Then maybe you have a case. I don't see it though... they're much better than us

Homedawg
09-23-2019, 07:24 AM

We didn't self impose the punishment. The ncaa gave it to us.

Homedawg
09-23-2019, 07:27 AM

No it doesn't.... I just like to keep it as factual as possible.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2019, 07:34 AM
Then maybe you have a case. I don't see it though... they're much better than us

Are they with Willie & Autry on the field?

What are you basing that on?

msstate7
09-23-2019, 07:40 AM
Are they with Willie & Autry on the field?

What are you basing that on?

What metric you wanna use?

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2019, 07:43 AM

What metric do you have with both Autry & Gay on the field? Considering that has only happened for less than 2 quarters this year, I don't see how you would know this

dawgday166
09-23-2019, 07:45 AM

What metric do you have with both Autry & Gay on the field? Considering that has only happened for less than 2 quarters this year, I don't see how you would know this

LOL ... youse guys haha.

msstate7
09-23-2019, 07:53 AM

Quick look at play by play shows Kentucky 11 rushes 69 yards in the first half vs us. Kentucky is 59th nationally in rushing offense; auburn is 18th despite facing 2 top 18 total defenses nationally

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2019, 07:58 AM
Quick look at play by play shows Kentucky 11 rushes 69 yards in the first half vs us. Kentucky is 59th nationally in rushing offense; auburn is 18th despite facing 2 top 18 total defenses nationally

How many of those plays was Willie in on?

I know the pick 6 was Willie's first play & KY already had 18 yards rushing by that point on 2 carries

msstate7
09-23-2019, 08:02 AM
How many of those plays was Willie in on?

I know the pick 6 was Willie's first play & KY already had 18 yards rushing by that point on 2 carries
Oh good grief... fine, we play gay and Autry, auburn will be lucky to get a yard. Your swings from week-to-week are wild... you were ready to throw joe Moorhead out after a loss to a mediocre KSU team, and now you got us beating a consensus top 10 team (computers and pollsters) after beating a mediocre Kentucky team.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2019, 08:06 AM
Oh good grief... fine, we play gay and Autry, auburn will be lucky to get a yard. Your swings from week-to-week are wild... you were ready to throw joe Moorhead out after a loss to a mediocre KSU team, and now you got us beating a consensus top 10 team (computers and pollsters) after beating a mediocre Kentucky team.

And you want to mail in the season while we are 1-0 in the SEC. Who is the bigger loser here?

msstate7
09-23-2019, 08:11 AM
And you want to mail in the season while we are 1-0 in the SEC. Who is the bigger loser here?

No, I want a bowl. Playing our trumps vs a team that's better than us a considerable amount is not smart.

TrapGame
09-23-2019, 08:27 AM

No, I want a bowl. Playing our trumps vs a team that's better than us a considerable amount is not smart.

And this is Joe's dilemma. And quite frankly I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Either way Joe goes I'm not going to fault him.

Commercecomet24
09-23-2019, 08:35 AM
And this is Joe's dilemma. And quite frankly I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. Either way Joe goes I'm not going to fault him.

This is the right perspective.

Liverpooldawg
09-23-2019, 08:44 AM
This isn't 1974 anymore. And some people in our AD need to understand that.

It happened again since then. We play it the way we do for a well justified reason.

Johnson85
09-23-2019, 09:44 AM

At tenn
At AM
At Aub
Abilene

I think it's 50/50 on whether you play them against Arkansas. We have UT and UM at full strength, and that's all of Autry's eligibility. Then we have AC to get to six wins. It's definitely a risk, but it wouldn't be insane to play Gay against A&M and take our chances versus Arkansas as bad as they have looked. I think winning 2 of 3 against UT, UM, and Arkansas is not a huge risk. The big risk is that we have an injury at DL or LB and now we are looking at playing Arkansas two levels deeper into the depth chart than we otherwise would.

ETA: Playing either this weekend would appear to be colossally stupid. But if he does, and we still get 7 wins, that's fine. But if does and we don't get to 6 wins, I think that would actually be a fireable offense. We wouldn't do it, but it would I think rightfully put the expectation that he gets fired after his third year, where without doing something like that, I think he should just about be guaranteed a fourth year.

dantheman4248
09-23-2019, 09:48 AM
Playing Autry against Arkansas is more inexcusable than playing him against Southern Miss.

Irondawg
09-23-2019, 10:02 AM

Exactly it's a tough call. If the cards fall right we are capable of beating Auburn and TAMU. We should beat UT, Ark and Abilene which gets us bowl eligible. OM is going to be tougher than some think unless they get some injuries as having a few coaches that know what they are doing is making them better than I thought they would be, especially on defense. I don't think we have the horses to beat Bama or LSU unless they just make a ton of turnovers and we hit some big plays (like OM did a few years back when Bama fumbled two kickoffs, etc)

Losing KSU put a big dent in our margin of error and playing Autry against USM is still confusing. I'd probably play Gay against TAMU, UT and OM and Autry against UT and OM.

I don't like conceding games before they're played but trying to win 7-8 should be the goal b/c if you sell out and somehow go 5-7 you really risk damaging the recruiting class. At the end of the year I don't think there will be any shame if we lose to Auburn, Bama and LSU. I won't like it but they're all pretty clear top 12 teams. We win 7-8 and given our issues it's a quality year. Do that and be very competitive against LSU and Bama and Auburn and I like where we're headed

gravedigger
09-23-2019, 10:08 AM

I'd play him.

Maybe. I have 3 more games he needs to play: Tennessee, Ole Miss and either A&M or Auburn. I'm more of an A&M game person, but I wouldnt get upset with choosing Auburn.

We can beat Arkansas, Abeline, without him. Probably Tennessee and Ole Miss, but those are games we MUST win. LSU and Bama are a waste of time. Not that we absolutely cannot win LSU, but I dont see him making all that much difference with all the weapons they have.

But there is another factor you didnt consider. He has to somewhere get the message that pulling off that helmet before he got to the sideline was a non team move that kept the game closer than it should have been.

We have to split him and Autry Auburn and A&M. Auburn is the better running team so I say Autry for Auburn and Gay for A&M.

Pipedream
09-23-2019, 10:24 AM
Maybe. I have 3 more games he needs to play: Tennessee, Ole Miss and either A&M or Auburn. I'm more of an A&M game person, but I wouldnt get upset with choosing Auburn.

We can beat Arkansas, Abeline, without him. Probably Tennessee and Ole Miss, but those are games we MUST win. LSU and Bama are a waste of time. Not that we absolutely cannot win LSU, but I dont see him making all that much difference with all the weapons they have.

But there is another factor you didnt consider. He has to somewhere get the message that pulling off that helmet before he got to the sideline was a non team move that kept the game closer than it should have been.

We have to split him and Autry Auburn and A&M. Auburn is the better running team so I say Autry for Auburn and Gay for A&M.

I think there's some consensus to be reached here. At least on a few things:
1. All hands on deck for UT. That's the difference in 6 wins and 7. 7 wins + a bowl win=8 and I think that would be a "hold steady" year for Moorhead. Maybe even an improvement when you consider he only won 1 game as a dog last year and lost three as a favorite. Going from that to only losing 1 game as a favorite would be an improvement, although still not great IMO.
2. We are going to beat OM, Arky, and UAC regardless of what happens with Gay/Murphy/Autry etc. Even with Shrader at QB, we will win those games. Those 3 teams are not good. Analytics say there is less than 30% chance that we don't go undefeated against these 3 teams. I know how big the Egg Bowl is to everyone. I understand that, but if you are looking to maximize your win total, you don't play these guys in these games.
3. Conversely, we aren't beating Bama regardless of who we do and don't play so no need in wasting those guys in that game.

That gets you down to 3 remaining games-Aub/LSU/A&M for Gay, Murphy, Whop to play 2 and 1 for Autry.
4. The analytics say our next best chance at winning a game is at A&M so I'd go all hands on deck for that game and Autry's season would be done (bc Moorhead screwed up playing vs USM).
5. Currently, the odds of beating LSU at home are greater than beating Auburn on the road. Auburn is about a 1 in 4 chance and LSU is about a 1 in 3 chance. I'd use LSU as the 4th game for Gay/Murphy/Whop.

PMDawg
09-23-2019, 10:43 AM
My rationale is this...we desperately have to make a bowl game. We have so many inexperienced guys the extra practice time and playing another game is crucial for 2020. Weighing what we have left we have to win 3 and our greatest chance of getting those is winning 2 of tenn, ark, and shitbirds. 2 of those being on the road and even though those teams are dogshit anything can happen on the road in the sec. I just don't think playing everyone at auburn gives us a better chance at winning than playing everyone at tenn and at ark. And OM should be out of the question sitting anyone. Ever.

It really depends on your goals/realistic expectations. If the coaching staff feels like we're playing to win the West, then you play Gay against Auburn, LSU, and Alabama. If they feel like we're trying to win 8 games instead of 6, or 7 instead of 5, then you have to give it a little more thought.

We're not playing to win the West, so IDK what we'll see this weekend.

NCDawg
09-23-2019, 11:04 AM

I think our offense can move the ball against Auburn, but I'm not sure that our defense can stop them. Every team we have played so far seems to have little trouble knocking our front off the ball and creating big holes in the line. Also, our pass defense is suspect. I agree about playing our best players. I would want them to play against the 4 best teams we play, Auburn being one of them.

Dannyripms
09-23-2019, 11:06 AM
I'd play the guys in Kentucky, Auburn, Texas AM, Ole Miss. Those 4 we need them.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 11:19 AM
Depends on how we get there.

Hopefully Joe has prepared the team for how to deal with this. Other than Autry randomly playing vs USM, which was inexcusable, this Auburn game is the first game where the rubber meets the road with these suspensions IMO

We had to play autry because of the OL issues with guys hurt. Joe didn't have a choice so take the blame joe out. Which is hard i know.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 11:20 AM

You are seeing how things get sideways in a hurry with some....good luck

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 11:22 AM
Playing Autry against Arkansas is more inexcusable than playing him against Southern Miss.

What you're missing among other things is you can't predict that right now. And decisions have to be made without 5he benefit of knowing what's gonna happen weeks from now. It's stupid.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 11:25 AM
I get Arkansas is historically bad this year....but what if shrader, kylin, a OL starter, a DT starter and a DB are hurt by the time we get to Arkansas? God forbid it happens but what if? And we used up the games already....

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2019, 11:27 AM
I get Arkansas is historically bad this year....but what if shrader, kylin, a OL starter, a DT starter and a DB are hurt by the time we get to Arkansas? God forbid it happens but what if? And we used up the games already....

I see your point, but I cannot go through life like this.

I prefer for our program to worry about upside over disaster. Ceiling over floor. Hope over discouraged.

You may call that irresponsible and that's fine, but that's the way I see it. I'm not sure how Joe sees it though & that's the only opinion that matters on this.

Commercecomet24
09-23-2019, 11:28 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to msstate7 again.

gravedigger
09-23-2019, 11:28 AM
I think there's some consensus to be reached here. At least on a few things:

4. The analytics say our next best chance at winning a game is at A&M so I'd go all hands on deck for that game and Autry's season would be done (bc Moorhead screwed up playing vs USM).

Moorhead didnt screw up. We were depleted on the OL and Jackson who had been switched to DL the game before had to move back to offense necessitating Autry playing.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2019, 11:31 AM
Moorhead didnt screw up. We were depleted on the OL and Jackson who had been switched to DL the game before had to move back to offense necessitating Autry playing.

No. That's a BS excuse.

Regardless of James Jackson moving to offense, we didn't need Autry vs USM.

I understand the logic, but heavily disagree with it. Heavily

Commercecomet24
09-23-2019, 11:33 AM
delete

Commercecomet24
09-23-2019, 11:34 AM
No. That's a BS excuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOnRHAyXqYY

notoriousdog
09-23-2019, 11:46 AM

Lol wut? This take is so horrendous I don't even know where to start.

basedog
09-23-2019, 12:14 PM
No. That's a BS excuse.

It's pretty obvious your dislike for Joe.

ShotgunDawg
09-23-2019, 12:27 PM
It's pretty obvious your dislike for Joe.

No. I like Joe but he's not above criticism

dantheman4248
09-23-2019, 12:28 PM

If that?s the case then making a bowl game is moot anyways, losing the practices suck but I think the team needs the rest instead while we search for a new S&C because that would be disastrous on the injury end for us. That would mean heads would need to roll because that many big injuries is indicative of a bigger issue (See Pelicans, New Orleans and the upgrade of the medical staff that was needed). You can?t coach this season like Bill O?Brien im prevent mode. Shotgun has the right idea that balances it imo. Play them both vs. Auburn. Sit both vs. UT. Regardless at this point. If you win Auburn, you gotta play Gay vs. LSU. If you then win LSU, you gotta play him vs. Bama. Autry sucks because he?s only got 2 left. I think you have to bite the bullet after Auburn and hold him out until OM for senior night. Though if you have wins vs. LSU and Auburn you have to have that conversation about Alabama.

But playing scared you may get injured is not the way to go. We hired Moorhead to come here to take us to the next level. That means actually beating Nick Saban in a game, something Dan Mullen struggles with mightily. You don?t coach passively scared you may get injured and put in a tough spot late in the season against Arkansas.

basedog
09-23-2019, 12:39 PM

And that may be true, but to call for his firing after a couple of games is off the chart, you have stated your feeling way more than most on ED, and yes you have that right. I will say you had a much worse week than Joe after reading all the complaints from many a few days ago.

I do think Auburn will beat us, I'm sure you will have suggestions why Joe should be gone. To each there own but you do "own the dislike".

Lord McBuckethead
09-23-2019, 12:56 PM

Well heck man. We might as well sit Kylin just in case. For real people? You don't plan week to week based on who could or could not be injured. If Shrader, Kylin, an OL and some DLs get injured......guess what, it doesn't matter who we sit or play, cause shit would be 17ed.

Pipedream
09-23-2019, 12:58 PM
We had to play autry because of the OL issues with guys hurt. Joe didn't have a choice so take the blame joe out. Which is hard i know.

This is a horse shit narrative that absolutely has to stop. Autry was not needed in that game in order to win. USM is a pass happy team. We won by 25 points. He didn't have to play him. He didn't even need to play him. There were FIVE OTHER DT'S that he could have/should have played instead of Autry and we still would have won the game handily. That is taking away James Jackson who we had dressed out to play Center in case Williams couldn't play (he did) and/or Sharp got hurt (he didn't). Not counting Jackson and Autry, we played Crumedy, Lovett, Kendall Jones, Cam Young, and Pickering. We wasted 25% of Autrys season on 25 snaps against a pass happy offense which we would have beaten with or without his services. It was and still is indefensible and anyone trying to explain it away isn't paying attention.

gravedigger
09-23-2019, 12:59 PM
No. That's a BS excuse.

You didnt know how that game would come out until after it was played. We got gashed on the ground by ULL. We thought that southern would keep the score lower due to returning a decent defense. You are conveniently forgetting that Joe was making a decision based on how he was going to distribute the suspensions coupled with how we got gashed in the ULL game. He wasnt taking any chances. In retrospect, I wished he had used him for KSU, but that is easily said now.

You suffer from what many fans suffer. That is to say that you cannot imagine a world in which the coach makes personnel decisions with different information than YOU have. Let that hubris go. Leave at least the possibility that you dont have enough information to actually call something BS or call for a man's job.

Pipedream
09-23-2019, 01:08 PM
You didnt know how that game would come out until after it was played. We got gashed on the ground by ULL. We thought that southern would keep the score lower due to returning a decent defense. You are conveniently forgetting that Joe was making a decision based on how he was going to distribute the suspensions coupled with how we got gashed in the ULL game. He wasnt taking any chances. In retrospect, I wished he had used him for KSU, but that is easily said now.

You suffer from what many fans suffer. That is to say that you cannot imagine a world in which the coach makes personnel decisions with different information than YOU have. Let that hubris go. Leave at least the possibility that you dont have enough information to actually call something BS or call for a man's job.

Just ask yourself this question-and it's the only one that matters in regards to the decision that went into this: Did State need Lee Autry in order to beat USM?

The correct answer to that question will tell you all you need to know about the decision that was made to play him. If you can't come up with the right answer to that question, then we don't have anything else left to discuss.

PMDawg
09-23-2019, 01:14 PM
I would just play them both every game the rest of the year. Put them in a different number jersey, announce them under the name that goes with that jersey number, and no one will ever know the difference!! Win-win-win.

gravedigger
09-23-2019, 01:19 PM
Just ask yourself this question-and it's the only one that matters in regards to the decision that went into this: Did State need Lee Autry in order to beat USM?

The correct answer to that question will tell you all you need to know about the decision that was made to play him. If you can't come up with the right answer to that question, then we don't have anything else left to discuss.

Even AFTER the usm game you stated we were 99th in the country in run defense. Are you seriously trying to say that a coach who didnt just watch his team get plowed on the line of scrimmage on August 31, and give up 28 points wouldnt think that he needed at least one of Autry or Gay on the field the next game?

If you are basing your comments on the way the USM game turned out, then fine. It's just not particularly relevant to the personnel decision our coach had to make before the game started. If that is the case, you are correct about the discussion.

Pipedream
09-23-2019, 01:30 PM
Even AFTER the usm game you stated we were 99th in the country in run defense. Are you seriously trying to say that a coach who didnt just watch his team get plowed on the line of scrimmage on August 31, and give up 28 points wouldnt think that he needed at least one of Autry or Gay on the field the next game?

If you are basing your comments on the way the USM game turned out, then fine. It's just not particularly relevant to the personnel decision our coach had to make before the game started. If that is the case, you are correct about the discussion.

ULL is the 2nd best rushing team in the country. K State is 27th. USM is 120th. If I had the ability to understand logic, statistics, strategy, etc. at any sort of a functioning human level, you don't play him in that game. There is no defense of it. No logical defense anyway. I know the Center depth line has been trotted out but it's nonsensical at best and a smoke screen at worst. USM is and was a passing team. Wasting Autry for 25 snaps in that game made no sense then and makes even less sense now. We are bad against the run. We are probably going to be worse against the run as the season goes on. Regardless, there is no justifying his participation against a PASS HAPPY TEAM. He would've been better off wasting a game vs ULL. There is no strategic situation where this makes sense. There are no legs to stand on here.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 05:16 PM
I see your point, but I cannot go through life like this.

I prefer for our program to worry about upside over disaster. Ceiling over floor. Hope over discouraged.

You may call that irresponsible and that's fine, but that's the way I see it. I'm not sure how Joe sees it though & that's the only opinion that matters on this.

I'm the same way but we are dealing with these suspensions and nothing we can do about it. It's not defeatist it's reality.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 05:17 PM
No. That's a BS excuse.

We. Didn't. Have. Enough. Players. At. The. Position. So. Autry. HAD. TO. PLAY. Dammit man.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 05:17 PM

Hahahahahahahaha so perfect.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 05:20 PM
If that?s the case then making a bowl game is moot anyways, losing the practices suck but I think the team needs the rest instead while we search for a new S&C because that would be disastrous on the injury end for us. That would mean heads would need to roll because that many big injuries is indicative of a bigger issue (See Pelicans, New Orleans and the upgrade of the medical staff that was needed). You can?t coach this season like Bill O?Brien im prevent mode. Shotgun has the right idea that balances it imo. Play them both vs. Auburn. Sit both vs. UT. Regardless at this point. If you win Auburn, you gotta play Gay vs. LSU. If you then win LSU, you gotta play him vs. Bama. Autry sucks because he?s only got 2 left. I think you have to bite the bullet after Auburn and hold him out until OM for senior night. Though if you have wins vs. LSU and Auburn you have to have that conversation about Alabama.

But playing scared you may get injured is not the way to go. We hired Moorhead to come here to take us to the next level. That means actually beating Nick Saban in a game, something Dan Mullen struggles with mightily. You don?t coach passively scared you may get injured and put in a tough spot late in the season against Arkansas.

I stopped at we need the rest instead of bowl practices. You have to be that baseball guy from a couple of yrs ago that sat on curveballs and adjusted to fastballs. Facepalm to the max.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 05:21 PM

Lol criticism is a point or 2 made then move on. Dogpiling at every turn is something altogether different and you are good at it.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 05:24 PM
This is a horse shit narrative that absolutely has to stop. Autry was not needed in that game in order to win. USM is a pass happy team. We won by 25 points. He didn't have to play him. He didn't even need to play him. There were FIVE OTHER DT'S that he could have/should have played instead of Autry and we still would have won the game handily. That is taking away James Jackson who we had dressed out to play Center in case Williams couldn't play (he did) and/or Sharp got hurt (he didn't). Not counting Jackson and Autry, we played Crumedy, Lovett, Kendall Jones, Cam Young, and Pickering. We wasted 25% of Autrys season on 25 snaps against a pass happy offense which we would have beaten with or without his services. It was and still is indefensible and anyone trying to explain it away isn't paying attention.

Thanks for letting me know.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 05:25 PM

He played and we won....so you could say yes we did need him to win. If he doesn't play we might get beat. Works both ways screamer.

dantheman4248
09-23-2019, 05:25 PM
I stopped at we need the rest instead of bowl practices. You have to be that baseball guy from a couple of yrs ago that sat on curveballs and adjusted to fastballs. Facepalm to the max.

Yea. The point is you have a ridiculous premise. If we’re THAT fragile then we shouldn’t be playing football. The S&C would be off the charts bad.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 05:56 PM
Yea. The point is you have a ridiculous premise. If we’re THAT fragile then we shouldn’t be playing football. The S&C would be off the charts bad.

I can't even keep up with your ridiculousness. You win.

dantheman4248
09-23-2019, 05:58 PM
I can't even keep up with your ridiculousness. You win.

Nah you lapped me in that. Not my fault you started another lap. ***

basedog
09-23-2019, 06:58 PM
He played and we won....so you could say yes we did need him to win. If he doesn't play we might get beat. Works both ways screamer.

You are my favorite poster ISID. You can be hard but fair. This board must keep u up at night pulling out your hair!

I hope that doesn't sound to gay! LOL

Pipedream
09-23-2019, 07:54 PM

We won by 25. He played less than half the snaps. Vegas says Tom Brady is worth 7 points in an NFL game. Are you trying to tell me Lee Autry is worth 24 points? Jeff Simmons, a generational DT, isn?t worth more than 3, but this guy is worth 8x that? I don?t think so.

I seen it dawg
09-23-2019, 08:42 PM
We won by 25. He played less than half the snaps. Vegas says Tom Brady is worth 7 points in an NFL game. Are you trying to tell me Lee Autry is worth 24 points? Jeff Simmons, a generational DT, isn?t worth more than 3, but this guy is worth 8x that? I don?t think so.

Did we win?
Did he play?

confucius say
09-23-2019, 10:26 PM
We. Didn't. Have. Enough. Players. At. The. Position. So. Autry. HAD. TO. PLAY. Dammit man.

Have not read while thread, but Did you ever coach? I did and said this exact same thing to some buddies. People who have actually coached think differently. It was 106 heat index and Jackson was playing ol, so we had jones, Lovett, crumedy, and three true freshmen in pick, Robinson and young. What happens if Lovett and crumedy turn ankles? You get ran all over in a game you 100% must win, that is what.

That is how coaches think.

Commercecomet24
09-23-2019, 10:37 PM
Have not read while thread, but Did you ever coach? I did and said this exact same thing to some buddies. People who have actually coached think differently. It was 106 heat index and Jackson was playing ol, so we had jones, Lovett, crumedy, and three true freshmen in pick, Robinson and young. What happens if Lovett and crumedy turn ankles? You get ran all over in a game you 100% must win, that is what.

This^^^^^

confucius say
09-23-2019, 10:43 PM
The bigger question is why do we have no jr or sophomore def tackles? I mean damn. We have two sr in Jones and autry, a converted ol sophomore in Jackson, and five freshmen in Lovett, crumedy, pick, young, and Robinson. That is it. On the entire roster. 17.

yjnkdawg
09-23-2019, 10:53 PM
Delete

Todd4State
09-23-2019, 11:02 PM
The bigger question is why do we have no jr or sophomore def tackles? I mean damn. We have two sr in Jones and autry, a converted ol sophomore in Jackson, and five freshmen in Lovett, crumedy, pick, young, and Robinson. That is it. On the entire roster. 17.

Ask Dan Mullen and Brian Baker.

Pipedream
09-24-2019, 08:08 AM

Robinson and Young are redshirt freshman. Pickering is the only true freshman. So we actually had 6 able bodies to play DT not named Autry and Jackson. As a coach, wouldn't you know the difference in a team that has personnel and scheme geared towards passing vs one that is geared towards running? Do you not also adjust your personnel when needed? Because USM was not and is not a team capable of "running all over" us. They're not. They're 120th in the country in rushing.

Johnson85
09-24-2019, 08:21 AM

We had enough players. Playing Autry against USM doesn't mean we didn't have enough players, it means that Joe knew we were bad without Autry, he just didn't know how bad. Turns out we were bad enough to lose to KSU without Autry, but not bad enough to lose to USM. Joe obviously just didn't know enough about USM or KSU to know which one was more dangerous, and the injuries on the OL and/or the heat apparently pushed him to use him against USM. With hindsight, it was an awful decision. But that's not how you judge decisions. Without the benefit of hindsight, it was a very questionable decision, but at the time, we didn't now how bad USM was, we didn't know how bad or not KSU was, we weren't as sure that UT and Arkansas were going to be awful, etc. The worst part of it was playing Autry against USM and then not against KSU, but at the same time, at that point, he may have thought we looked good enough against USM and UT and Ark looked bad enough that he was starting to think about having Autry available against A&M or Auburn. And in defense of his decision, our D wasn't the real problem against KSU.

BeardoMSU
09-24-2019, 08:33 AM

Perfection.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Commercecomet24 again.

notoriousdog
09-24-2019, 10:04 AM
We had enough players. Playing Autry against USM doesn't mean we didn't have enough players, it means that Joe knew we were bad without Autry, he just didn't know how bad. Turns out we were bad enough to lose to KSU without Autry, but not bad enough to lose to USM. Joe obviously just didn't know enough about USM or KSU to know which one was more dangerous, and the injuries on the OL and/or the heat apparently pushed him to use him against USM. With hindsight, it was an awful decision.

The coaches literally had film of USM struggling to run the ball against Alcorn St. It was a mistake to play him. Our young DTs could have gotten the job done. In a worst case scenario/injury pinch, we could have moved one of the bigger DEs over to play 25 snaps at DT.

MSUDAWGFAN
09-24-2019, 10:11 AM
True story- I have a Sr that doesnt start and plays maybe 15 plays on Friday. Has amassed a whopping 22 yards of offense this season. He is 5'8/170 and is a 4.8 in the 40. He missed film session last Monday- why? He was in the counselor's office filling out his NCAA Clearinghouse information online so he could be recruited. What players see and feel is vastly different from real world reality. Gay not playing just tells most of the other players they are playing more Saturday.

I believe this. I don't know this kid, but I have been around enough kids to not be surprised if in his mind he is going to be in the pros. When I used to work in Arkansas, I would go to the community center to play basketball, and every single one of the middle and high school kids thought they would either be in the NFL or NBA. Every single one. I didn't want to burst their bubble but it was hard not to laugh. It's kind of sad though if you think about it.

dantheman4248
09-24-2019, 10:43 AM
The coaches literally had film of USM struggling to run the ball against Alcorn St. It was a mistake to play him. Our young DTs could have gotten the job done. In a worst case scenario/injury pinch, we could have moved one of the bigger DEs over to play 25 snaps at DT.

I’m uncertain how this works. Could we plug him in during the middle of the game in a pinch? If so that’s the approach that should have been used for USM / KSU / UK imo.

Tbonewannabe
09-24-2019, 04:04 PM
I’m uncertain how this works. Could we plug him in during the middle of the game in a pinch? If so that’s the approach that should have been used for USM / KSU / UK imo.

I believe you have to suspend them prior to the game. It isn't like we could have Autry or Gay on the bench and then just not play them and have it count.

I seen it dawg
09-24-2019, 06:03 PM

Yes i have coached.

Coach34
09-24-2019, 07:26 PM
Yes i have coached.

lmao. Too funny. You have never coached SEC football so you dont know shit you Keyboard Cowboy hiding behind a computer. That T-ball title dont mean anything Mr Rah Rah

Homedawg
09-24-2019, 07:47 PM
Yes i have coached.
This is a fact. Good coach too.

dantheman4248
09-24-2019, 08:21 PM
I believe you have to suspend them prior to the game. It isn't like we could have Autry or Gay on the bench and then just not play them and have it count.

Ahh well then the USM decision makes more sense as well as not pushing them into the KSU game.

Another thing to note is that with the freshman heavy rotation, as the season goes we will get them more experience which should help them play better. Having Autry supplement the early game helps more than him supplementing a late game strictly on that. I’d say he would make more of an impact in the USM game than he would in the Arkansas game.

Coach34
09-24-2019, 08:34 PM
This is a fact. Good coach too.

ISeenIt is an SEC level pitching coach that chose to make 6 figures in another field before Pitching coaches made 6 figures being pitching coaches. I would take him over Butch every day of the week. He knows more and coaches it better

I seen it dawg
09-25-2019, 06:25 AM
Thanks boys

I seen it dawg
09-25-2019, 06:26 AM
ISeenIt is an SEC level pitching coach that chose to make 6 figures in another field before Pitching coaches made 6 figures being pitching coaches. I would take him over Butch every day of the week. He knows more and coaches it better

And i wore butchs ass out in summer camp games....lol

confucius say
09-25-2019, 07:03 AM

Going to watch his team practice sat morning. I will tell him isid says sup

Homedawg
09-25-2019, 01:47 PM

After "spas"... hahah.

Turfdawg67
09-25-2019, 06:53 PM

Yep. Let's get our 6 wins, go bowling, collect money, keep recruiting well and plan for 2020! We aren't winning the West this year so let's make sure we win the ones we are supposed to!! UT, OM, Ark

Turfdawg67
09-25-2019, 07:47 PM
Yep. Let's get our 6 wins, go bowling, collect money, keep recruiting well and plan for 2020! We aren't winning the West this year so let's make sure we win the ones we are supposed to!! UT, OM, Ark

Maybe assume Arky is a gimme and play Willie vs Auburn? I think I'd do that. No offense to WPS poster.

I seen it dawg
09-25-2019, 07:59 PM
After "spas"... hahah.

"Son i think your best bet is to take 2 weeks off then quit the game"

I seen it dawg
09-25-2019, 08:07 PM
Coach Mac "you have any guys we should be keeping an eye on moving forward?"

Me "coach i don't have any guys that we should be looking at for a summer camp team"

Cooterpoot
09-25-2019, 08:17 PM
Gay and Autry are sitting. Gay will play vs TN, OM, and AR/A&M. Autry goes vs OM and TN.

msstate7
09-25-2019, 08:19 PM
Gay and Autry are sitting. Gay will play vs TN, OM, and AR/A&M. Autry goes vs OM and TN.

Smart move by our coach if true

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2019, 08:24 PM

Not saying I disagree with this, but good luck motivating the team Saturday night when the coaching staff apparently doesn't think it's a winnable game

Cooterpoot
09-25-2019, 08:26 PM
Not saying I disagree with this, but good luck motivating the team Saturday night when the coaching staff apparently doesn't think it's a winnable game

Players aren’t motivated by who they’re playing next to. Because every damn body they play next to is a 17ing teammate. It’s their chance to prove they can get it done. They all want to compete.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2019, 08:30 PM
Players aren’t motivated by who they’re playing next to. Because every damn body they play next to is a 17ing teammate. It’s their chance to prove they can get it done. They all want to compete.

Yeah, but confidence matters. It was easy to see last Saturday what a difference Gay makes on the field in both talent & energy.

I'm just saying that it make Moorhead's job of convincing the team that they can win very difficult when he's not even showing he believes we can win.

Either way though, this doesn't effect the offense & they'd have to play their ass off to win anyway

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Frankly it just sucks.

It sucks that Gay, Autry, Murphy, & the others did this to their teammates.

It sucks that we are always playing for next year. Redshirt this guy, need the bowl practice, etc

It sucks all the way around. It sucks for the fans that put their heart into this program. It just sucks

Would just be 17ing nice when we can finally just worry about today. Winning today & not worrying about tomorrow

That felt good

I seen it dawg
09-25-2019, 08:32 PM

While those guys help us alot I doubt the team thinks we are just gonna lose bc they aren't suited up. You give our players and coaches zero credit for being competitors.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2019, 08:33 PM
While those guys help us alot I doubt the team thinks we are just gonna lose bc they aren't suited up. You give our players and coaches zero credit for being competitors.

We'll find out what type of competitors they are Saturday night. That's for damn sure

Coach34
09-25-2019, 08:47 PM
but good luck motivating the team Saturday night when the coaching staff apparently doesn't think it's a winnable game

It's not and Joe knows it. Got to make sure we beat Tenn and OM. Cant have any slip ups.

ShotgunDawg
09-25-2019, 09:08 PM
It's not and Joe knows it. Got to make sure we beat Tenn and OM. Cant have any slip ups.

So we'll get blown out by a slightly above average team because no one believes we can win, even our coaches.

It sucks that everyone was put in this situation due to pathetic decision making by those players, but it sends the message nonetheless.

I know they won't because out media is soft, but I hope when we lose our media shouts from the mountain tops about how short handed MSU was. Just to rub it in on Auburn

Homedawg
09-25-2019, 09:13 PM
Coach Mac "you have any guys we should be keeping an eye on moving forward?"

Me "coach i don't have any guys that we should be looking at for a summer camp team"

Hahahahaha. So true.

dantheman4248
09-25-2019, 09:39 PM
Auburn has 4 losses in them at minimum this year. I could easily see 6. (LSU, Bama, Florida, Georgia, MSU, Whoever they play in a bowl)

Not sure why people think it's a foregone conclusion we lose to this team. They have one of, if not the hardest schedule in the country. Someone will expose the window dressing offense again. Gus has had one season since having the horseshoe up his ass and they still lost 4 in that one. Is that a guarantee we win? No. But Auburn isn't Bama. They ain't some unbeatable giant. Force Gus to pass well and his team squirms. Can we do that? idk, gotta wrap up better. Knowing that that is the key difference between us winning and losing, I think it's hilariously dumb to say it is unwinnable. We all agree the defense hasn't been in bad position to make plays in the run game, it's the execution of the tackles. Bo Nix hasn't proven his ability to throw deep accurately (yet, I am fearful of how he will look by year 3). If he beats us throwing deep so be it. Doubt it though. We win or lose based on our tackling ability. That means it's in our hands (literally). Auburn isn't unbeatable if the game is in our hands.

Commercecomet24
09-25-2019, 09:56 PM
I dub this the never ending thread.

Homedawg
09-25-2019, 09:57 PM
You just put us in the same sentence as the rest of those? Really?? Fla is the closest thing to us. The rest are head and shoulders better. But whatever. Hope we win but can't see it. At all

Coach34
09-25-2019, 10:13 PM
You just put us in the same sentence as the rest of those? Really?? Fla is the closest thing to us. The rest are head and shoulders better. But whatever. Hope we win but can't see it. At all

A lot of posters said these exact same things 2 years ago before we played Auburn. I’m still waiting on Gus to be fired. Elitedawgs has only been predicting it for 4 years now

cheewgumm
09-25-2019, 10:20 PM
I hope we beat Auburn but our fans are way ahead. We beat Kentucky. Kentucky. Say it out loud.

Our good team 2 years ago got beat by 40 there. I?ll wait and see.

TUSK
09-25-2019, 10:46 PM
I’ve been out of the loop on the suspension deal. Who are the influential players (Gay, Autry...), and how many more games can they play this year?

dantheman4248
09-25-2019, 11:05 PM

If the sentence in reference is "teams that could beat Auburn" then yes. But I know your comment was meant to be as stupid as humanly possible and think I'm saying we are as good as the rest (ie Alabama, LSU).

Also Florida is NOT head and shoulders better than us and Auburn's bowl opponent is undetermined so to say we can't possibly be in the same breath as whoever they play in a bowl shows how dumb of a defeatist you are.

dantheman4248
09-25-2019, 11:06 PM
A lot of posters said these exact same things 2 years ago before we played Auburn. I’m still waiting on Gus to be fired. Elitedawgs has only been predicting it for 4 years now

Auburn still lost 4 games that year. There's a reason people want Gus gone. He's still riding the lightning of Cam Newton's OC and 2013 Horseshoe. 4+ Losses every other year. Auburn expects better (because they are a lot like some ED posters, they think they are Bama.)

Tbonewannabe
09-26-2019, 08:30 AM
I?ve been out of the loop on the suspension deal. Who are the influential players (Gay, Autry...), and how many more games can they play this year?

Gay - probably best defensive player at LB - 3 games left to play
Autry - best DT and only senior at DT. 1 of 2 non freshmen playing at DT - 2 games left
Marcus Murphy - 2nd string safety - sophomore. Also affects special teams - I think he has 3 left to play - 3rd best safety
Whop - 2nd string WR - sophomore. Also affects special teams - I think he has 3 left to play

Those are the ones off the top of my head that are the biggest impact. I will say losing 2nd string impacts us a lot because it probably means playing another freshman. Autry is a big loss because it means we either have freshmen or a converted Oline in Jackson. Jackson is either a sophomore or junior. Jackson actually had to play Oline against USM because we had 3 Centers go down and had to shuffle around guys to be able to snap the ball.

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 08:33 AM
I’ve been out of the loop on the suspension deal. Who are the influential players (Gay, Autry...), and how many more games can they play this year?

Gay, Autry, & Marcus Murphy are the main ones.

Remember, we don't have 5 stars sitting on the bench like you guys & others, so losing Gay & Autry turns our defense into Swiss cheese

With them, we're competitive

Tbonewannabe
09-26-2019, 08:36 AM

It seems like Gus is just good enough to keep the heat on but not get fired. He will screw around and beat Bama when they are finally ready to fire him. I will say that at Auburn your record should look better than MSU's record. If you throw out his first year that he got to the Championship game, the rest look pretty close to what Mullen had us over the last few years. He has mostly hovered around 8 wins which isn't good enough for Auburn.

I am not saying he should be fired but one 5-7 season like Dan had in 2016 would get him fired.

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 08:40 AM
It seems like Gus is just good enough to keep the heat on but not get fired. He will screw around and beat Bama when they are finally ready to fire him. I will say that at Auburn your record should look better than MSU's record. If you throw out his first year that he got to the Championship game, the rest look pretty close to what Mullen had us over the last few years. He has mostly hovered around 8 wins which isn't good enough for Auburn.

I am not saying he should be fired but one 5-7 season like Dan had in 2016 would get him fired.

Remember that they play UGA every year though.

So an 8 win record at Auburn is likely a 9 win record at MSU

Fader21
09-26-2019, 08:58 AM
My take on this looking at the remaining schedule..
@ Auburn
@TENN
LSU
@TAMU
@ARK
BAMA
ACU
UM

Knowing the top 3 Autry - 2 games remaining, Gay - 3 games left, and Murphy - 3 games left

Auburn -you play Gay
Tenn - Murphy
LSU- Sit all
TAMU - Play all 3
ARK- Sit all 3
Bama - Play Murphy, we are going to need an extra DB in that game with those WR
ACU- Sit all
UM - Play Autry and Gay

Scared_Hitless
09-26-2019, 09:04 AM
@ Auburn
@TENN
LSU
@TAMU
@ARK
BAMA
ACU
UM

Knowing the top 3 Autry - 2 games remaining, Gay - 3 games left, and Murphy - 3 games left

Auburn -you play Gay
Tenn - Murphy
LSU- Sit all
TAMU - Play all 3
ARK- Sit all 3
ACU- Sit all
UM - Play Autry and Gay

This makes the most sense in my opinion.

msstate7
09-26-2019, 09:20 AM

They usually play better OOC too

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 09:24 AM

For sure

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 10:39 AM
The Thunder & Lightening Podcast agrees that Gay & Autry should play in this game.

They scored 24 points vs Tulane guys. I don't understand why this game isn't winnable.

Cowbeller
09-26-2019, 10:40 AM
@ Auburn
@TENN
LSU
@TAMU
@ARK
BAMA
ACU
UM

Auburn -you play Gay
Tenn - Murphy
LSU- Sit all
TAMU - Play all 3
ARK- Sit all 3
ACU- Sit all
UM - Play Autry and Gay

Completely agree with this would be the perfect way to split it. Maybe Murphy plays auburn instead of bama but thats my only tweak

drunkernhelldawg
09-26-2019, 11:00 AM
I give us a good chance in this game.

Tbonewannabe
09-26-2019, 11:00 AM

But Auburn also has higher expectations typically except for last year where MSU fans expected 10-11 wins. It is similar to USM comparing themselves to MSU.

Tbonewannabe
09-26-2019, 11:03 AM

They also have the richest person in Alabama bankrolling their program. We don't have any billionaires backing MSU football.

Cooterpoot
09-26-2019, 12:37 PM
But Auburn also has higher expectations typically except for last year where MSU fans expected 10-11 wins. It is similar to USM comparing themselves to MSU.

No it?s not. We beat AU last year. USM has no chance to beat us in the foreseeable future.

Tbonewannabe
09-26-2019, 01:29 PM
No it?s not. We beat AU last year. USM has no chance to beat us in the foreseeable future.

I was talking about expectations not on the field competition. You can look at the fans on this site. Most expect us to lose AU, A&M, LSU, and Bama. I doubt you find too many AU fans that chalk up games like that as losses. Hell, you probably have fans that expect to beat Bama whereas you will find zero fans of MSU that has those kind of expectations.

Scared_Hitless
09-26-2019, 02:14 PM
Here is my final say on the suspensions and how you work them going forward. As of today we have a shot to win the SEC WEST. I understand that is not going to happen, but you play to win the game. You go into this game with all hands on deck and let the cards fall as they may. If you lose then you start counting wins for bowl eligibility. If you win you gear then back up for LSU. If they have to miss the Ole Miss game and we beat AU and LSU then so be it.

Cooterpoot
09-26-2019, 02:27 PM
We didn’t shut down the AU running game with our D last year. We damn sure won’t this year. They’ll need to turn it over in bunches for us to win. They’re better on defense and special teams. Offense is a wash at best. They’re at home too.
No point in wasting guys on this game. Willie isn’t that kind of difference maker. No one is.

NCDawg
09-26-2019, 03:45 PM
We didn’t shut down the AU running game with our D last year. We damn sure won’t this year. They’ll need to turn it over in bunches for us to win. They’re better on defense and special teams. Offense is a wash at best. They’re at home too.
No point in wasting guys on this game. Willie isn’t that kind of difference maker. No one is.

I respectfully disagree with your conclusion. I say play the best you've got. I think Auburn is a winnable game if we don't make foolish mistakes and the referees don't screw us over.

dantheman4248
09-26-2019, 03:50 PM
I was talking about expectations not on the field competition. You can look at the fans on this site. Most expect us to lose AU, A&M, LSU, and Bama. I doubt you find too many AU fans that chalk up games like that as losses. Hell, you probably have fans that expect to beat Bama whereas you will find zero-zero-seven fans of MSU that has those kind of expectations.

Fixed it for you

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 04:50 PM

Auburn had 90 yards rushing bro

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-26-2019, 07:27 PM
The Thunder & Lightening Podcast agrees that Gay & Autry should play in this game.

They scored 24 points vs Tulane guys. I don't understand why this game isn't winnable.

I've stayed out of all this but here's my prediction: We get blown out. Why?

1) Kentucky dropped 3 TD passes, Auburn won't.

2) We couldn't tackle Kentucky's (or anyone's actually) skill players, and Auburn's guys are way faster so it'll be an even bigger problem vs them.

3) Auburn has a much better defense than Kentucky in every statistic.

4) Stevens is good, but he's A) struggled to set the correct pass protection, B) shown mediocre ability to avoid the rush, C) seems like the type to let pressure get to him (see how flustered he was when he knew he was injured vs KState). Let's not forget that this is his first road start ever. I expect Auburn to bring all the blitzes early and feed off the crowd

5) It's our first road game in a hostile environment. Do y'all remember Kentucky last year? or LSU? We will have new flaws (false starts, holds, miscommunications etc) that haven't been exposed yet.

6) Auburn will be OUT FOR BLOOD. Like LSU last year vs us, they'll be ready to show the previous season was an anomaly.

7) Nix is faster than any QB we've seen, and unlike last year we don't have the elite athletes to keep him contained. ULL' QB ain't nothing compared to this guy if we lose containment.

8) Are we really going to pretend like 24 vs Tulane is all they can score? They scored 28 vs a Oregon D that's much better than Tulane. They're not anemic like they were last year

Rest Gay and Autry, play them vs A&M. A&M is a much more winnable game... they don't have as good of a homefield advantage, Ol, DL, or play with the same physicality Auburn does. All that lines up in our favor. Auburn is going to be blowout... I predict we're down by 14+ going into the 4th. Hope I'm wrong though. Stevens has a good arm and Auburn fans swear their secondary sucks so we'll see.

DancingRabbit
09-26-2019, 07:45 PM
7) Nix is faster than any QB we've seen, and unlike last year we don't have the elite athletes to keep him contained. ULL' QB ain't nothing compared to this guy if we lose containment.

I doubt he's faster, but I'm feel sure he's not quicker, or as elusive.

Tbonewannabe
09-26-2019, 08:00 PM

Nix is starting because of his last name. He is ok for a freshman but I don't think he will beat any teams this year. He is just there not to screw up. I will say that he might be really good in a year or so once he gets experience.

On the flip side, I hope Shrader is as good going forward as he was last week. It isn't often that you see a freshman QB play at that level in his first start. Fromm is about the only true freshman that I can remember in a while that looked that comfortable. Most freshmen have a deer in the headlights look most of the time. Tua didn't play until later in the year or I would include him.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-26-2019, 08:01 PM

You're correct about him having worse elusiveness, but he's a better overall runner. Lewis didn't look to run as much as he should have, he just would escape the pressure and look to throw. Nix will have a lot of 10-20 yard 1st down runs vs us on read options and broken plays. Hope I'm wrong. even then though, unless we get more pressure than we've gotten in any of the first 4 games I think they'll shred our secondary

Coach34
09-26-2019, 08:06 PM
I've stayed out of all this but here's my prediction: We get blown out. Why?

1) Kentucky dropped 3 TD passes, Auburn won't.

2) We couldn't tackle Kentucky's (or anyone's actually) skill players, and Auburn's guys are way faster so it'll be an even bigger problem vs them.

3) Auburn has a much better defense than Kentucky in every statistic.

4) Stevens is good, but he's A) struggled to set the correct pass protection, B) shown mediocre ability to avoid the rush, C) seems like the type to let pressure get to him (see how flustered he was when he knew he was injured vs KState). Let's not forget that this is his first road start ever. I expect Auburn to bring all the blitzes early and feed off the crowd

5) It's our first road game in a hostile environment. Do y'all remember Kentucky last year? or LSU? We will have new flaws (false starts, holds, miscommunications etc) that haven't been exposed yet.

6) Auburn will be OUT FOR BLOOD. Like LSU last year vs us, they'll be ready to show the previous season was an anomaly.

8) Are we really going to pretend like 24 vs Tulane is all they can score? They scored 28 vs a Oregon D that's much better than Tulane. They're not anemic like they were last year

Rest Gay and Autry, play them vs A&M. A&M is a much more winnable game... they don't have as good of a homefield advantage, Ol, DL, or play with the same physicality Auburn does. All that lines up in our favor. Auburn is going to be blowout... I predict we're down by 14+ going into the 4th. Hope I'm wrong though. Stevens has a good arm and Auburn fans swear their secondary sucks so we'll see.

High 5 Brotha- we wont stay within 14. They are much better than us and being on the road will show the problems in JoMo's offense again this season. We'll talk more Sunday about this "winnable game"

Cooterpoot
09-26-2019, 08:07 PM
Nm

Coach34
09-26-2019, 08:10 PM
He said Stevens- not Shrader- which is correct. I love Shrader but his 1st road start vs that DL wont be kind to him

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-26-2019, 08:57 PM
He said Stevens- not Shrader- which is correct. I love Shrader but his 1st road start vs that DL wont be kind to him

I actually don't think there is a problem with the JoMo offense. I think 1) there's a problem with our defense this year, 2) Auburn has a good defense and a good homefield advantage, and 3) JoMo often doesn't come up with good gameplans. Auburn last year and Kentucky this year are honestly the only times I've felt he deviated his formations or play calling at all. Last week he gave Shrader easy short throws and rolled him out so he didn't have to go through reads. As the game went on we trusted him more. THAT is the kind of gameplan I want to see.

If I'm Kevin Steel, I bring pressure early and often to fluster Shrader/Stevens and really test his ability to make pre snap protection adjustments. I keep 2 S deep to ensure State can't get off a lucky deep TD, but test my luck underneath by jumping routes. I assume JoMo will come out in his base 11 personnel and do the usual; read option in the run game and stay in the pocket when passing. So, if I'm JoMo, I want to be able to roll away from the DL, use some kind of screen/quick slant to punish blitzing LBs, and most of all run quick developing plays with low risk of a confused QB/missed block causing a turnover. First sign the S will jump something short I take a shot downfield. Aggression + quick developing plays they won't be expecting is the key to me

What I don't want to see if the same old plays and attitude. Zone read to Hill off tackle? They'll be ready for that and come crashing in. Stevens in the pocket with 6 man protection? They'll be ready for that with creative blitzes and a good DL. Read the D, "check with me", change play? They know we rely on that and will change their look in the hopes of tricking Stevens into an int. Come out with anything less than a physical, nasty attitude? Auburn will own the LOS. Keep it close to halftime and I think Auburn will have exposed their hand then we can make adjustments then. But we have to keep it close, I fear we get overwhelmed early.

But I don't think there's a problem with the JoMo offense. I think Moorhead doesn't emphasize physicality enough, and Moorhead generally doesn't create good gameplans... but the O itself I think it solid and can work good if Joe would fix those few details

dantheman4248
09-26-2019, 09:03 PM
It’s crazy how so many people here are unwilling to be critical of any other team in the West. Auburn & LSU are not Alabama level until they prove it. Don’t know why some of y’all are acting like we’re playing the most well oiled machine in college.

We could very well be as bad as described and still keep this game within 10 or even win. Auburn may be in the state of Alabama but they aren’t Alabama. One-dimensional offenses aren’t unbeatable. Bo Nix isn’t there as a passer (yet). If Auburn does indeed blow us out it will look more like the Tulane score this year instead of our game from two years ago.

(Can’t wait to see this quoted if Bo Nix RAT’s us in the passing game.)

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 09:05 PM
It’s crazy how so many people here are unwilling to be critical of any other team in the West. Auburn & LSU are not Alabama level until they prove it. Don’t know why some of y’all are acting like we’re playing the most well oiled machine in college.

We could very well be as bad as described and still keep this game within 10 or even win. Auburn may be in the state of Alabama but they aren’t Alabama. One-dimensional offenses aren’t unbeatable. Bo Nix isn’t there as a passer (yet). If Auburn does indeed blow us out it will look more like the Tulane score this year instead of our game from two years ago.

(Can’t wait to see this quoted if Bo Nix RAT’s us in the passing game.)

LSU can beat Bama this year, but Auburn may not score a point. They don't throw well enough

dantheman4248
09-26-2019, 09:08 PM
LSU can beat Bama this year, but Auburn may not score a point. They don't throw well enough

I wanna see that passing offense against a real defense before I agree to that about LSU. And I would agree except Auburn has them at home and will somehow be 8-3 going into the game but take a 14 pt lead in the first before letting 50 be dropped on them.

Coach34
09-26-2019, 09:19 PM

Auburn's O will get better every week because they have a young, talented QB and weapons. Auburn vs Georgia at Auburn will decide if Auburn plays Bama for the West title this year or not.

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 09:20 PM
Auburn's O will get better every week because they have a young, talented QB and weapons. Auburn vs Georgia at Auburn will decide if Auburn plays Bama for the West title this year or not.

Meh. I don't like Nix as a passer. I don't think Auburn scores 17 points vs Bama or Georgia

Coach34
09-26-2019, 09:30 PM
Meh. I don't like Nix as a passer. I don't think Auburn scores 17 points vs Bama or Georgia

Do any of you even watch football or pay attention to how coaches bring younger players along more slowly than others?

Nix is 24/36 for 261 and 2 TD's and no picks the last 2 weeks. They have a great running game and QB getting better every week. Gus is being conservative with the guy early to protect him and build confidence. He has wins over 2 top 20 teams already on the road. He gets us at home. We are soft against the run and they will have plenty of manageable 3rd downs.

Auburn 34 State 16

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 09:46 PM
Do any of you even watch football or pay attention to how coaches bring younger players along more slowly than others?

Nix is 24/36 for 261 and 2 TD's and no picks the last 2 weeks. They have a great running game and QB getting better every week. Gus is being conservative with the guy early to protect him and build confidence. He has wins over 2 top 20 teams already on the road. He gets us at home. We are soft against the run and they will have plenty of manageable 3rd downs.

Auburn 34 State 16

I've seen him play live & just don't think he's very good. Maybe I'm wrong, but the way he throws doesn't look right to me.

Coach34
09-26-2019, 09:50 PM
I've seen him play live & just don't think he's very good. Maybe I'm wrong, but the way he throws doesn't look right to me.

Shrader looks like a poor man's Phillip Rivers but he gets the ball where it needs to be more times than no. He will get nothing but better. Same goes for Nix. Nix has played tougher competition than Shrader. Nix is at home with a great running game.

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 09:52 PM
Shrader looks like a poor man's Phillip Rivers but he gets the ball where it needs to be more times than no. He will get nothing but better. Same goes for Nix. Nix has played tougher competition than Shrader. Nix is at home with a great running game.

Agree both will get better, but I just don't think Nix is that talented physically.

Seeing him live gave me the feeling of Malik Newman. Hyped beyond belief but no real physical tool. Nix does have some speed though.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-26-2019, 10:11 PM
Agree both will get better, but I just don't think Nix is that talented physically.

Seeing him live gave me the feeling of Malik Newman. Hyped beyond belief but no real physical tool. Nix does have some speed though.

You also have to consider that maybe he just had an off night when you saw him. I wouldn't put much stock in a small sample sie. Besides, seeing players live is overrated since the TV give a far better view of what's going on. I think the recent data vs college teams shows he's perfectly serviceable... what % of that is him being good, what % of Gus being smart with him? IDK but at the end of the day hes putting up decent numbers.

He throws it better than Kentucky QB did last week, and runs it better than anyone we've seen so far. He also doesn't make dumb mistakes, though maybe Shoop can confuse him better than A&M or Oregon did. But with our limitations at DL I don't think he can get that creative

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 10:46 PM
You also have to consider that maybe he just had an off night when you saw him. I wouldn't put much stock in a small sample sie. Besides, seeing players live is overrated since the TV give a far better view of what's going on. I think the recent data vs college teams shows he's perfectly serviceable... what % of that is him being good, what % of Gus being smart with him? IDK but at the end of the day hes putting up decent numbers.

He throws it better than Kentucky QB did last week, and runs it better than anyone we've seen so far. He also doesn't make dumb mistakes, though maybe Shoop can confuse him better than A&M or Oregon did. But with our limitations at DL I don't think he can get that creative

When I watch players, how they actually play that day is a very small piece of the puzzle for me. I focus more on how they move, how the ball comes out of their hands, & the feel they show for the football. I focus more on physical ingredients than results. Results matter, but only in large sample sizes. So you have to wait a long time for real information to be drawn. However, by focusing on physical ingredients, you can make better predictions about what those stats will look like down the road.

- Seeing players live is irreplaceable. TV is great to watch a game, but not great to evaluate a player. The issue is that there are missing frames on TV. With live looks, you can much more easily see how the ball accelerates out of a QBs hand, twitch, feel for the football, & explosiveness. There is something in the way the body moves that gets lost on TV. TV is great after you've seen a player live.

- I agree he throws it better & runs it better than the Kentucky QB, but the Kentucky QB played at Troy and wasn't a 5 star recruit.

DancingRabbit
09-26-2019, 10:47 PM

Auburn 34 State 16

Wut?. This is Gus Malzahn we're talking about. Which young QB has he developed since Mitch Mustain?

ShotgunDawg
09-26-2019, 10:50 PM
Wut?. This is Gus Malzahn we're talking about. Which young QB has he developed since Mitch Mustain?

Plus, this kid's father was a D1 offensive coordinator, QB, & HS coach. If there was ever a freshman QB that didn't need to be brought along slowly, it was this kid

dantheman4248
09-27-2019, 12:01 AM
Bo Nix didn’t complete a ball over 7 air yards last week. Idc what your overall completion % is. That ain’t getting it done vs. Bama, Georgia, and probably not LSU or Florida. And trusting Malzahn to develop a quarterback is laughable. I’d expect you to know better than that. The pawn shop called, they said they can give you $3 for Jeremy Johnson’s September Heisman.

Auburn won vs. A&M no doubt. Oregon lost (granted Auburn did capitalize on it) that game. I think you’re putting too little faith in Shoop this week. This is a Shoop head game vs. a true freshman QB. He can get him to make mistakes. We all agree the defense has been put in the right positions, just piss poor tackling. Well being in the right positions with a top 5 DC vs. a kid fresh outta high school is something to account for. If Nix can beat us through the air, so be it. Nothing he’s shown this year has given me faith in that. That means it should be a trench fight. We whipped their top 10 defense last year. No reason a similar gameplan can’t work again. Shrader is running with more ferocity than Nick did last year.

Since were making predictions... MSU 17 Auburn 13. Best bet is the under. That shit is too high. Both teams ain’t making it to 20 and unless Bo Nix or Garrett Shrader goes super saiyan in the deep passing game, neither team is breaking 30.

NCDawg
09-27-2019, 12:58 AM
I actually don't think there is a problem with the JoMo offense. I think 1) there's a problem with our defense this year, 2) Auburn has a good defense and a good homefield advantage, and 3) JoMo often doesn't come up with good gameplans. Auburn last year and Kentucky this year are honestly the only times I've felt he deviated his formations or play calling at all. Last week he gave Shrader easy short throws and rolled him out so he didn't have to go through reads. As the game went on we trusted him more. THAT is the kind of gameplan I want to see.

If I'm Kevin Steel, I bring pressure early and often to fluster Shrader and really test his ability to make pre snap protection adjustments. I keep 2 S deep to ensure State can't get off a lucky deep TD, but test my luck underneath by jumping routes. I assume JoMo will come out in his base 11 personnel and do the usual; read option in the run game and stay in the pocket when passing. So, if I'm JoMo, I want to be able to roll away from the DL, use some kind of screen/quick slant to punish blitzing LBs, and most of all run quick developing plays with low risk of a confused QB/missed block causing a turnover. First sign the S will jump something short I take a shot downfield. Aggression + quick developing plays they won't be expecting is the key to me

What I don't want to see if the same old plays and attitude. Zone read to Hill off tackle? They'll be ready for that and come crashing in. Stevens in the pocket with 6 man protection? They'll be ready for that with creative blitzes and a good DL. Read the D, "check with me", change play? They know we rely on that and will change their look in the hopes of tricking Stevens into an int. Come out with anything less than a physical, nasty attitude? Auburn will own the LOS. Keep it close to halftime and I think Auburn will have exposed their hand then we can make adjustments then. But we have to keep it close, I fear we get overwhelmed early.

But I don't think there's a problem with the JoMo offense. I think Moorhead doesn't emphasize physicality enough, and Moorhead generally doesn't create good gameplans... but the O itself I think it solid and can work good if Joe would fix those few details

Good post. I think you're pretty accurate. I, too, have reservations about our defense, particularly the DL. Every team we've played seems to not have a lot of difficulty finding holes in our DL, leaving it to Thompson or one of our DB's to make the play. Auburn's no. 28 is a real good RB, and he could cause us a lot of trouble.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-27-2019, 07:17 AM
Good post. I think you're pretty accurate. I, too, have reservations about our defense, particularly the DL. Every team we've played seems to not have a lot of difficulty finding holes in our DL, leaving it to Thompson or one of our DB's to make the play. Auburn's no. 28 is a real good RB, and he could cause us a lot of trouble.

I'm more worried about our secondary. Kentucky had 250 yards passing but they dropped 3 TD's and another 100 yards. Their QB also missed a lot of throws, and our DBs missed tackles... Auburns WRs will be better in every way so if we have the same kind of performance Auburn may not even try to lean on the inside run game

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2019, 07:20 AM
I'm more worried about our secondary. Kentucky had 250 yards passing but they dropped 3 TD's and another 100 yards. Their QB also missed a lot of throws, and our DBs missed tackles... Auburns WRs will be better in every way so if we have the same kind of performance Auburn may not even try to lean on the inside run game

Kentucky & Auburn WRs corps are very different. Kentucky actually has one of the biggest WR corps in the country. Auburn's are faster, but not near as big.

It's funny how we just assume that Auburn is better in every way. They aren't.

Auburn is a good team, but some here have made them into something they are not.

It's also funny how we are scared that Kentucky dropped some passes while not giving ourselves credit for 2 redzone turnovers in which we were moving the ball like a hot knife through butter

dantheman4248
09-27-2019, 07:43 AM
Kentucky & Auburn WRs corps are very different. Kentucky actually has one of the biggest WR corps in the country. Auburn's are faster, but not near as big.

Auburn is a good team, but some here have made them into something they are not.

It's also funny how we are scared that Kentucky dropped some passes while not giving ourselves credit for 2 redzone turnovers in which we were moving the ball like a hot knife through butter

I’m convinced 95% of posters only watch our games. They see a worse product in 2019 than 2018 and base it off that and their preconceived notions of other teams. The dirty secret is everyone is markedly worse this year than last year. Poor tackling is rampant. This is the first year in a while where teams got collectively worse from one season to the next. They’ll realize these behemoths are not as good as advertised. (Idc how teams scored their points, LSU gave up 38 twice on defense already. Posters think our D is bad... imagine if we had their performances against their schedule defensively.)

msstate7
09-27-2019, 07:49 AM
I’m convinced 95% of posters only watch our games. They see a worse product in 2019 than 2018 and base it off that and their preconceived notions of other teams. The dirty secret is everyone is markedly worse this year than last year. Poor tackling is rampant. This is the first year in a while where teams got collectively worse from one season to the next. They’ll realize these behemoths are not as good as advertised. (Idc how teams scored their points, LSU gave up 38 twice on defense already. Posters think our D is bad... imagine if we had their performances against their schedule defensively.)

Wait, you saying Texas isn't good offensively?

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-27-2019, 07:55 AM

I don't think they're better "in every way", either vs us or Kentucky. Kentucky has a better OL and TEs and a comparable RB core. We have a better QB situation, probably a better OL, Hill is the best RB on the field, and Day can flip the field. Auburn's playcalling (Gus) is always capable of being suspect, and their DB's aren't good. We will be able to pass effectively if we can pick up the blitz for 2s.

However, Auburns DL is really good so I'm not sure we'll be able to run it. Our OTs aren't great in pass pro so I'm not sure we can protect. Our DL hasn't gotten pressure on anyone so far so I fear Nix will have all day to throw. Their WR's are -as you admit- faster than Kentuckys, so they'll have an easier time getting separation and missed tackles are more likely to be housed. They also don't have the bad hands of Kentucky, who dropped 3 TD passes. lets not forget our secondary actually did a pretty terrible job last week... if Kentucky had caught those balls they'd have probably won, then we'd be talking about the DBs giving up 3 TDs and 350ish yards to a backup QB and missing tons of tackles. But they dropped the TD's so everyone is still acting like our DT's are the problem, even though thus far nobody's ran it down our throats.

As for the "It's also funny how we are scared that Kentucky dropped some passes while not giving ourselves credit for 2 redzone turnovers", it's important to remember that Kentucky threw a literal pick 6 so as far as points lost due to turnovers, it's about a wash.

Moreover, so what? Even if we had 5 redzone turnovers the fact is the Kentucky had the opportunity to catch 3 TDs and go for about 350. That's a problem regardless of whether or not our O left points on the field. Many teams we face won't drop those, and have better WR's and QB's too. Yes our O didn't play a clean game and there's room there for improvement, but that does nothing to make me feel better or worse about our DB's+pass rush combo.

All this sounds like doom and gloom but for the record I think we beat A&M, or at least give them a close game, and 7-5 is the worst we'll go this year. Our O might outscore people even if the secondary finally gets blown up. I just don't think we beat Auburn, who's the 3rd best team we play and the toughest environment we'll face all season. If we can beat auburn 9-3 is highly likely since LSU and Bama are te only games that aren't noticeably worse than Auburn

msstate7
09-27-2019, 08:08 AM
Auburn has faced the toughest schedule so far in the sec, and they lead the sec in rushing yds/game, 4th in yds/rush, and lead the sec in rushing att/game. We've faced the 10th toughest schedule in the sec, and we're 9th in rush defense in sec and 12th in sec in allowed yds/rush.

If we can't slow their rush down, it will be a long night bc Gus will continue to pound

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2019, 08:12 AM
Bo Nix didn?t complete a ball over 7 air yards last week. Idc what your overall completion % is. That ain?t getting it done vs. Bama, Georgia, and probably not LSU or Florida. And trusting Malzahn to develop a quarterback is laughable. I?d expect you to know better than that. The pawn shop called, they said they can give you $3 for Jeremy Johnson?s September Heisman.

Auburn won vs. A&M no doubt. Oregon lost (granted Auburn did capitalize on it) that game. I think you?re putting too little faith in Shoop this week. This is a Shoop head game vs. a true freshman QB. He can get him to make mistakes. We all agree the defense has been put in the right positions, just piss poor tackling. Well being in the right positions with a top 5 DC vs. a kid fresh outta high school is something to account for. If Nix can beat us through the air, so be it. Nothing he?s shown this year has given me faith in that. That means it should be a trench fight. We whipped their top 10 defense last year. No reason a similar gameplan can?t work again. Shrader is running with more ferocity than Nick did last year.

Since were making predictions... MSU 17 Auburn 13. Best bet is the under. That shit is too high. Both teams ain?t making it to 20 and unless Bo Nix or Garrett Shrader goes super saiyan in the deep passing game, neither team is breaking 30 Without turnover help.

fify

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2019, 08:15 AM
Auburn has faced the toughest schedule so far in the sec, and they lead the sec in rushing yds/game, 4th in yds/rush, and lead the sec in rushing att/game. We've faced the 10th toughest schedule in the sec, and we're 9th in rush defense in sec and 12th in sec in allowed yds/rush.

If we can't slow their rush down, it will be a long night bc Gus will continue to pound

No doubt. Gotta trust that Shoop is a super legit DC that can find a way to make Auburn do something else

Commercecomet24
09-27-2019, 08:32 AM
Let's play the what if game in reverse. I went back and counted. Our dbs had their hands on 5 balls that could've/should've been ints. How close would the game have been if we intercept 5 more passes? Game would've been a blowout. So uk dropped 3 passes, we dropped 5 ints it's part of the game . You can't pose hypotheticals cause they don't matter. Only scoreboard matters. Uk QBs were also 14-42 throwing the ball.

basedog
09-27-2019, 08:33 AM

I agree with this. But I do think Shrader > Nix

Auburn defense will be a tall order to overcome.

I also think Georgia, Lsu, Bama then Auburn are by far the best teams and in that order, pretty even for the rest of us except I put SC, Vandy Ark and Om in the bottom.

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2019, 08:34 AM
Let's play the what if game in reverse. I went back and counted. Our dbs had their hands on 5 balls that could've/should've been ints. How close would the game have been if we intercept 5 more passes? Game would've been a blowout. So uk dropped 3 passes, we dropped 5 ints it's part of the game . You can't pose hypotheticals cause they don't matter. Only scoreboard matters. Uk QBs were also 14-42 throwing the ball.

Come on Commerce. You know we got every break & couldn't have possibly beat KY by more points*

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2019, 08:35 AM
I agree with this. But I do think Shrader > Nix

Auburn defense will be a tall order to overcome.

I also think Georgia, Lsu, Bama then Auburn are by far the best teams and in that order, pretty even for the rest of us except I put SC, Vandy Ark and Om in the bottom.

I don't think Auburn is on the same level & LSU, Bama, & UGA. I think their a clear step down

basedog
09-27-2019, 08:37 AM
I don't think Auburn is on the same level & LSU, Bama, & UGA. I think their a clear step down

I agree, I rate them #4.

Commercecomet24
09-27-2019, 08:40 AM
Come on Commerce. You know we got every break & couldn't have possibly beat KY by more points*

Good one!

Rep Given!

Commercecomet24
09-27-2019, 08:41 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ShotgunDawg again.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2019, 08:41 AM

I think we miss Abram a lot making sure guys were where they needed to be. I really didn't take that into account when I thought about replacing him. Cole has been pretty good for the most part but Abram was just another coach on the field. You saw it even in Oakland. Gruden has to love the guy.

Tbonewannabe
09-27-2019, 08:49 AM
I agree, I rate them #4.

Personally I would rate them:

UGA
Bama
LSU

Next tier
Auburn
UF

Next tier
A&M

Next tier
MSU
Mizzou

Next tier
UK
USCe - they will probably have a losing record but would go to a bowl with most team's schedules

Next tier
UM
Vandy

Bottom of the barrel
UT
Ark

Coursesuper
09-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Auburn is very good on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball period, better than us. This where they will try to win the game.

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2019, 09:03 AM
Auburn is very good on the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball period, better than us. This where they will try to win the game.

I don't think they are better on the OL. Why do you think they are better on the OL?

Coach34
09-27-2019, 09:47 AM
I don't think they are better on the OL. Why do you think they are better on the OL?

because they are blocking our DL- Our OL wont have near the success vs their front

Not sure why people don’t get that concept. Our OL doesn’t play against their OL. We also have given up 9 sacks to their 4 against a weaker schedule

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2019, 09:55 AM
because they are blocking our DL- Our OL wont have near the success vs their front

Not sure why people don’t get that concept. Our OL doesn’t play against their OL. We also have given up 9 sacks to their 4 against a weaker schedule

Good point

TrapGame
09-27-2019, 09:58 AM

And we turned the ball over twice in the red zone. So in hypothetical land that's possibly two more scores for us.

This is why we play the game.

Coursesuper
09-27-2019, 10:01 AM

Exactly. its just not that hard.

ShotgunDawg
09-27-2019, 10:02 AM
This debate has made this season shitty.

If we ever have players do this crap again, I'm sending msstate7 over their apartment to blabber off stats everyday for a month

Commercecomet24
09-27-2019, 10:32 AM
And we turned the ball over twice in the red zone. So in hypothetical land that's possibly two more scores for us.

This is why we play the game.

Yep! Trap gets it! I don't mind speculation before games but after a games over hypotheticals are useless. Scores only thing that counts then!

Scared_Hitless
09-27-2019, 10:36 AM

AU is on Florida's Level and I am not sure we know how good that is at this point. I think the only sure thing about AU right now is they have a nasty front 7 that has mauled every team they have played. Can our OLine not get smashed. Will our D force stops we will find out.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-27-2019, 11:20 AM
All I'm saying is that UK had the opportunity to torch our secondary if they caught what hit their hands. Yes, there was also the opportunity for us to blow them out if we'd not turned it over or droped our int chances. At the end of the day UK's QB was pretty bad (inaccurate throws, didn't see the field that well, zero mobility), and their WRs aren't that good. Nothing I'm saying is hypothetical. I'm not saying "If they had ran a flea flicker I think Morgan would have blown his assignment and they'd have scored", I'm talking about literal balls that hit the literal hands of literal open receivers.

If that's only a "hypothetical" problem in our secondary then what would you call our DT situation? If our seconday has a "hypothetical" problem then even worrying about our DTs is completely unfounded.

Think of it this way, lets say Auburn ran the ball straight up the middle 3 times and had massive lanes and a clear shot to the endzone, but each time the RB fumbled it at the 1 before scoring. Would all of us not agree we got lucky they didn't score each time, and the DT's are a problem for getting shoved around like that? I don't think anyone would say we "hypothetically" have a problem with run defense in the middle, or go "yeah we got lucky they fumbled 3 times, but remember we fumbled a kickoff so the and threw an int so the breaks evened out and I'm not worried going forward". We'd agree the DTs got shoved around. And last week vs Kentucky our secondary let mediocre WRs get open. So here i am saying I think we've got a problem that Auburn can expose. Hope to heck I'm wrong though