PDA

View Full Version : Not So Quick Thoughts - Ain't No Shrader Hater

ShotgunDawg
09-21-2019, 11:10 PM
Ok, great win today! Really excited to see the energy of the players & I thought the game plan was pretty good. After last week, I don't think we can underestimate the importance the Willie Gay pick 6. It really allowed everyone to take deep breath & move on from last week.

That being said, here are some thoughts on us & college football:

- Garrett Shrader the best freshmen QB we've had in my lifetime. Yes I said it. I'm not in anyway saying that he will be better than Dak, but he's currently better than Dak as a freshman. His style of play, athleticism, skill set, & body actually reminds me a little of an old OM QB from back in the 60s. I still don't like the way he throws, as his motion is too long & causes the ball to sail on him i.e. the INT in the redzone. Until Shrader compacts his arm action, scoring in the redzone will be tough unless we run it. It's just going to be too difficult for him to fit passes into tight windows. That being said though, he's an elite athlete with great feet, pocket movement, & his field vision is OFF THE CHARTS. While he doesn't yet throw all that well, he throws it the right right guy & possesses unbelievable awareness on the field. He's going to be a gooden.

- In some ways, I wish we'd just stick with Shrader, but we can't forget that the offense has looked really good when Stevens in healthy. While I'm typically not a big fan of two QB systems, because Stevens' & Shrader's skills sets are so different, I actually think a Leak/Tebow type split could help us. Shraders' mobility simply takes a ton of pressure off the OL & prevents negative plays. Joe does need to let Shrader go deep more though to spread out the defense.

- I just can't understand Willie Gay. What an awesome, difference making player when he plays, but what an immature player that hurts his team time & time again by not being available. Perhaps I'm missing something, but here is Willie's last 5 games at MSU - Egg Bowl - ejected, Outback Bowl - suspended for 1st half, ULL - Suspended, USM - suspended, K-State - Suspended, KY - ejected. I mean, what gives here? It's become absurdly ridiculous. He really really needs to grow the 17 up.

- Our secondary tackling is an abortion & really our tackling all together. Don't blame Shoop for a damn thing. My eyes told me that we had a guy in the right spot to make the tackle all day today. We are badly missing a legit pass rusher as well. The two awful tackling displays by Dantzler & Cole on KY's TD drive made me want to throw up.

- This week's special teams suckiness was the punt gunners. They look completely lost when trying to down the kick.

- Overall, great win for Moorhead. It really showed that there is a floor to his coaching & that, with a complete roster & his QB, we should be pretty good. However, I've seen this before last year. The coaches had a good today, but they've struggled to put together multiple good weeks in a row. Auburn isn't a great matchup for us, but I absolutely need to see us go down there & play well. My over/under on false starts & delay of games is about 5 for next week & that's absurd. I want to see us go to Auburn & play clean game in which we compete well into the 4th quarter.

- I'm seeing 7 wins right now with A&M being a potential 8th. I just don't think the Aggies are very good & that we could pound on them pretty good like we did in 2017 in College Station.

- Did LSU really give up 38 points to Vandy? Holy bajeebus. Keep an eye on this. While everyone is praising LSU for their offense, & they should, it's possible that LSU could be losing a bit of their identity of being a physical program. Not calling it, but it's worth keeping an eye on. They may become a fish out of water.

- As you saw with Bama's 11:00 AM game today, fans won't support them. In the next rounds of TV negotiations, for the betterment of the sport, some compromises need to be made, even if it costs the conference a little money. Schedule 11:00 games prior the season so people can plan. Make sure every team has only 1 11:00 game each year. Weight the 11:00 games towards the Eastern division home games because they are 12:00 games for them. etc. College football must be protected above all else.

- Looking forward to Auburn next week I think controlling their running game is going to be really really tough for us. I don't love the matchup, but this is the type of game that JoMo can absolutely win me over by finding a way. That's what great coaches do. They find a path when one isn't obvious. Well, it isn't obvious to these eyes

Impressed with today & believe we've absolutely found our QB for the next 4 years that we can win an awful awful lot of football games with. He's a DUDE that can take us to new heights.

GeorgeKaplan
09-21-2019, 11:12 PM
Ok, great win today! Really excited to see the energy of the players & I thought the game plan was pretty good. After last week, I don't think we can underestimate the importance the Willie Gay pick 6. It really allowed everyone to take deep breath & move on from last week.

That being said, here are some thoughts on us & the college football:

- Garrett Shrader the best freshmen QB we've had in my lifetime. Yes I said it. I'm not in anyway saying that he will be better than Dak, but he's currently better than Dak as a freshman. His style of play, athleticism, skill set, & body actually reminds me a little of an old OM QB from back in the 60s. I still don't like the way he throws, as his motion is too long & causes the ball to sail on him i.e. the INT the redzone. Until Shrader compacts his arm action, scoring in the redzone will be tough unless we run it. It's just going to be too difficult for him to fit passes into tight windows. That being said though, he's an elite athlete with great feet, pocket movement, & his field vision is OFF THE CHARTS. While he doesn't yet throw all that well, he throws it the right right guy & unbelievable awareness on the field. He's going to be a gooden.

- In some ways, I wish we'd just stick the Shrader, but we can't forget that the offense has looked really good when Stevens in healthy. While I'm typically not a big fan of two QB systems, because Stevens' & Shraders skills sets are so different, I actually think a Leak/Tebow type split could help us. Shraders' mobility simply takes a ton of pressure off the OL & prevents negative plays. Joe does need to let Shrader go deep more though to spread out the defense.

- I just can't understand Willie Gay. What an awesome, difference making player when he plays, but what an immature player that hurts his team time & time again by no being available. Perhaps I'm missing something, but here is Willie's last 5 games at MSU - Egg Bowl - ejected, Outback Bowl - suspended for 1st half, ULL - Suspended, USM - suspended, K-State - Suspended, KY - ejected. I mean, what give here? It's become absurdly ridiculous. He really really needs to grow the 17 up.

- Our secondary tackling is an abortion & really our tackling all together. Don't blame Shoop for a damn thing. My eyes told me that we had a guy in the right spot to make the tackle all day today.

- This week's special teams suckiness was the punt gunners. They look completely lost when trying to down the kick.

- Overall, great win for Moorhead. It really showed that their is a floor to his coaching & that, with a complete roster & his QB, we should be pretty good. However, I've seen this before last year. The coaches had a good today, but they've struggled to put together multiple good weeks in a row. Auburn isn't a great matchup for us, but I absolutely need to see us go down there & play well. My over under on false starts & delay of games is about 5 for next week & that's absurd. I want to see us go to Auburn & play clean game in which we compete well into the 4th quarter.

- I'm seeing 7 wins right now with A&M being a potential 8th. I just don't think the Aggies are very good & that we could pound on them pretty good like we did in 2017 in College Station.

- Did LSU really give up 38 points to Vandy? Holy bajeebus. Keep an eye on this. While everyone is praising LSU for their offense, & they should, it's possible that LSU could be losing a bit of their identity of being a physical program. Not calling, but it's worth keeping an eye on. They may become a fish out of water.

- Looking forward to Auburn next week I think controlling their running game is going to be really really tough for us. I don't love the matchup, but this is the type of game that JoMo can absolutely win me over by finding a way. That's what great coaches do. They find a path when one isn't obvious.

Impressed with today & believe we've absolutely found our QB for the next 4 years that we can win an awful awful lot of football games with. He's a DUDE that can take us to new heights.

You're an idiot. Now find a job already.

ScoobaDawg
09-21-2019, 11:15 PM

That being said, here are some thoughts on us & college football:

- Garrett Shrader the best freshmen QB we've had in my lifetime. Yes I said it. I'm not in anyway saying that he will be better than Dak, but he's currently better than Dak as a freshman. His style of play, athleticism, skill set, & body actually reminds me a little of an old OM QB from back in the 60s. I still don't like the way he throws, as his motion is too long & causes the ball to sail on him i.e. the INT the redzone. Until Shrader compacts his arm action, scoring in the redzone will be tough unless we run it. It's just going to be too difficult for him to fit passes into tight windows. That being said though, he's an elite athlete with great feet, pocket movement, & his field vision is OFF THE CHARTS. While he doesn't yet throw all that well, he throws it the right right guy & unbelievable awareness on the field. He's going to be a gooden.

- In some ways, I wish we'd just stick the Shrader, but we can't forget that the offense has looked really good when Stevens in healthy. While I'm typically not a big fan of two QB systems, because Stevens' & Shraders skills sets are so different, I actually think a Leak/Tebow type split could help us. Shraders' mobility simply takes a ton of pressure off the OL & prevents negative plays. Joe does need to let Shrader go deep more though to spread out the defense.

- I just can't understand Willie Gay. What an awesome, difference making player when he plays, but what an immature player that hurts his team time & time again by no being available. Perhaps I'm missing something, but here is Willie's last 5 games at MSU - Egg Bowl - ejected, Outback Bowl - suspended for 1st half, ULL - Suspended, USM - suspended, K-State - Suspended, KY - ejected. I mean, what give here? It's become absurdly ridiculous. He really really needs to grow the 17 up.

- Our secondary tackling is an abortion & really our tackling all together. Don't blame Shoop for a damn thing. My eyes told me that we had a guy in the right spot to make the tackle all day today.

- Overall, great win for Moorhead. It really showed that their is a floor to his coaching & that, with a complete roster & his QB, we should be pretty good. However, I've seen this before last year. The coaches had a good today, but they've struggled to put together multiple good weeks in a row. Auburn isn't a great matchup for us, but I absolutely need to see us go down there & play well. My over under on false starts & delay of games is about 5 for next week & that's absurd. I want to see us go to Auburn & play clean game in which we compete well into the 4th quarter.

- Did LSU really give up 38 points to Vandy? Holy bajeebus. Keep an eye on this. While everyone is praising LSU for their offense, & they should, it's possible that LSU could be losing a bit of their identity of being a physical program. Not calling, but it's worth keeping an eye on. They may become a fish out of water.

- As you saw with Bama's 11:00 AM game today, fans won't support them. In the next rounds of TV negotiations, for the betterment of the sport, some compromises need to be made, even if it costs the conference a little money. Schedule 11:00 games prior the season so people can plan. Make sure every team has only 11:00 game each year. Weight the 11:00 towards the Eastern division home game because they are 12:00 games for them. etc. College football must be protected above all else.

- Looking forward to Auburn next week I think controlling their running game is going to be really really tough for us. I don't love the matchup, but this is the type of game that JoMo can absolutely win me over by finding a way. That's what great coaches do. They find a path when one isn't obvious.

Not reading. Blah blah blah.
I gave up on Joe and have nothing constructive to say.
Blah
Blah. Blah.
Joe needs to be fired.
We need to cover the stadium
Blah
Blah
Blah
I'm against Moorhead.

ShotgunDawg
09-21-2019, 11:20 PM
I see I attracted the drunk peanut gallery tonight.

I seen it dawg
09-21-2019, 11:26 PM
No shit. Hell i was happy to see the write up as i think it's pretty accurate. I expected some more doom and gloom but was wrong. Good post. Drunks be damned lol

GeorgeKaplan
09-21-2019, 11:28 PM
No shit. Hell i was happy to see the write up as i think it's pretty accurate. I expected some more doom and gloom but was wrong. Good post. Drunks be damned lol

Sometimes the brand speaks way too loud.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-21-2019, 11:37 PM
Not sure what's up with the other posters, wish we could just discuss the games instead of having personal beefs.

Anyway, I agree that A&M isnt' good. Their fans are LIVID about the god awful OL play, Mond not knowing what reads to make, and playing like crap till garbage time when nothing's on the line. They're mediocre on D.

It's a much more winnable game for us than Auburn, who has A) a tougher atmosphere, B) a better defense, C) a better OL, D) better RB's due to A&M's injury, and D) better WR's. Mond is better than Nix but overall they're the better team. Not ot mention, Auburn will be our first true road game and that always exposes some flaws we'll probably have cleaned up by A&M

Todd4State
09-21-2019, 11:38 PM
I bet the next time the TV negotiations come up the SEC will offer up a 9th SEC game for better time slots. If I'm the SEC I get away from CBS and their 2:30 slots.

11:00 in October or November in the South is fine. But early games in September are brutal.

BhamDawg205
09-22-2019, 12:07 AM

I don't like long posts, but your review made go back and finish. Not bad gun. Agree on a lot, but the 1100 games will happen. 1100 games probably should be cheaper at initial offering, may attract more people.

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 07:22 AM
I don't like long posts, but your review made go back and finish. Not bad gun. Agree on a lot, but the 1100 games will happen. 1100 games probably should be cheaper at initial offering, may attract more people.

I'm fine with 11 am games. They just have to be managed correctly.

basedog
09-22-2019, 07:36 AM
I think you are off about Shrader and what you describe as "concerned with long throwing motion and no touch in tight spots"

Other than that pretty much agree and like JWS stated "it's harder to jump back on the train once one has jumped off".

I will say we were physical up front with both the O and D lines. Many were saying Ky was more physical in both lines, not today. Tacking in opening field is something that has to be practiced, no doubt they have to get stronger as everyone seems do what Vince Lombardi said, "grab grab grab no one is tackling"!

This is a pretty good rebuilding team! Tired of the nonsense from folks saying "well so and so just isn't good"! Players and coaches don't make the schedule and winning way better even when we look bad or we are lucky to win!

Very nice crowd so stop the madness with fans don't care!

Heard some nice things about baseball scrimmage yesterday, good to have some information from one of my young peeps!

PCHSDawg
09-22-2019, 07:37 AM
Good post, would read again.😃

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 07:51 AM
I think you are off about Shrader and what you describe as "concerned with long throwing motion and no touch in tight spots"

It's not that he isn't accurate, it's that the ball sails on him with that arm action

Maroonthirteen
09-22-2019, 08:00 AM
Tackling.... my opinion is we are just a little undersized and a step slow on defense, front 7. The players are giving their all but they just can?t square up a hit and run a guy down to wrap up good. ... it is what it is. We will struggle against big physical teams.

In the secondary, someone needs to get their hands on a ball and return it. We could have had 2-3 more picks yesterday if not running into ourselves. It happens but we need a little more awareness and confidence in the secondary. That?s coming.

11am games..... maybe it can be negotiated that early games kick at 1p ET/12p CT. Negotiation with CBS to agree to bleed over into their games from the early game. Usually those 11a games aren?t marquee match ups anyway and folks will change the channel to cbs regardless of the situation in the 11am game.

Tbonewannabe
09-22-2019, 08:05 AM
I would add that we might be the youngest team in the country in our current 2 deep when you factor in suspensions and injuries. We are playing a ton of freshmen which is going to really benefit us in two years.

TrapGame
09-22-2019, 08:09 AM
Dude, your not so quick thoughts are as long as your quick thoughts.*

Seriously, good write up.

DownwardDawg
09-22-2019, 08:11 AM
You're an idiot. Now find a job already.

Damn man. Can’t we all just get along??? Lol
It was a good post. Good write up.

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 08:28 AM
Dude, your not so quick thoughts are as long as your quick thoughts.*

And the 8 ounce steak at Outback is usually just as big as the 12 ounce steak.

What's your point?*

Dawgology
09-22-2019, 08:34 AM
I bet the next time the TV negotiations come up the SEC will offer up a 9th SEC game for better time slots. If I'm the SEC I get away from CBS and their 2:30 slots.

11:00 in October or November in the South is fine. But early games in September are brutal.

Yes! This never made sense to me. If we must have early games move them to October/November. It’s got to be night games during August/September

Dawgology
09-22-2019, 08:36 AM

Other than that pretty much agree and like JWS stated "it's harder to jump back on the train once one has jumped off".

I will say we were physical up front with both the O and D lines. Many were saying Ky was more physical in both lines, not today. Tacking in opening field is something that has to be practiced, no doubt they have to get stronger as everyone seems do what Vince Lombardi said, "grab grab grab no one is tackling"!

This is a pretty good rebuilding team! Tired of the nonsense from folks saying "well so and so just isn't good"! Players and coaches don't make the schedule and winning way better even when we look bad or we are lucky to win!

Very nice crowd so stop the madness with fans don't care!

Heard some nice things about baseball scrimmage yesterday, good to have some information from one of my young peeps!

Really? What did you hear on baseball?

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 09:55 AM
Just a reminder that Tennessee won at Auburn last year.

It can happen.

Hambone
09-22-2019, 09:57 AM
Both of Gays penalties were dumb yesterday. Yes he took his helmet off as he was running off of the field... ticky tack. The second one, he LITERALLY got a flag for talking..... yes talking. If the lineman for KY didn’t flip him the bird nothing would have been called.

Personally, I like a defensive player that has some fire in his belly. He’s talking the talk while walking the walk.

Maroons
09-22-2019, 10:07 AM
If I'm the SEC I get away from CBS and their 2:30 slots.

That is an absolutely ridiculous idea.

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 10:15 AM
Both of Gays penalties were dumb yesterday. Yes he took his helmet off as he was running off of the field... ticky tack. The second one, he LITERALLY got a flag for talking..... yes talking. If the lineman for KY didn’t flip him the bird nothing would have been called.

Personally, I like a defensive player that has some fire in his belly. He’s talking the talk while walking the walk.

Maybe so, but the end result is that he's hurting his team. It can't happen anymore.

yjnkdawg
09-22-2019, 10:15 AM

I was shocked too. It's probably coming though.

yjnkdawg
09-22-2019, 10:18 AM

That shouldn't even be on the table for discussion.

BulldogDX55
09-22-2019, 10:55 AM
It's not that he isn't accurate, it's that the ball sails on him with that arm action

I agree, but I think a lot of it is him being less than a year removed from pretty major shoulder surgery. I think he will take major steps by next year.

dantheman4248
09-22-2019, 11:08 AM
delete

ShotgunDawg
09-22-2019, 11:15 AM
I agree, but I think a lot of it is him being less than a year removed from pretty major shoulder surgery. I think he will take major steps by next year.

Definitely possible

BeastMan
09-22-2019, 11:18 AM
Note: Vandy scored 2 defensive TDs. There is nothing to watch there.

Jack Lambert
09-22-2019, 12:19 PM

That's the problem when you never shut up. Sooner or later people just ignore you. I didn't take time to read what he posted and I will not. I am assuming going forward anything he types is just "negative dumb ass bull shit."

I seen it dawg
09-22-2019, 01:41 PM
Shrader has some Philip Rivers in his throwing. Take awhile sometimes but it gets there. It will get better.