PDA

View Full Version : OUR DEFENSE

Prentis
09-21-2019, 09:22 PM
Is below average at best. Coming into the season I thought the secondary would be a strength this year, I was wrong. If the coverage, tackling, and missed assignments dosen't improve we will be embarrassed by teams with a good qb.

defiantdog
09-21-2019, 09:23 PM
They were really good with Willie and Autry in there

Coach007
09-21-2019, 09:26 PM
Is below average at best. Coming into the season I thought the secondary would be a strength this year, I was wrong. If the coverage, tackling, and missed assignments dosen't improve we will be embarrassed by teams with a good qb.

Amazing what a 10 man suspension will do

Scared_Hitless
09-21-2019, 09:27 PM
For as bad as they are surrendering yards we are right at 21 ppg surrendered per game. That is winning football in today's world. Keep improving and getting experience with our young guys.

Bdawg
09-21-2019, 09:29 PM
There is no telling how many yac yards we gave up with all the missed tackles. We tackle well and we crush them. Abram wouldn't have let that guy get away on fourth down like Cole did. Guaranteed!

Homedawg
Amazing what a 10 man suspension will do

We have 2 people that matter and maybe a third if Marcus could get up to speed. Leave the rest out, all bench guys. None saw the field except whop for a play or two.

Commercecomet24
Uk was 15/42 throwing the ball. Yeah they dropped some balls but we dropped a bunch of ints too. Now the tackling has to improve.

Scared_Hitless
09-21-2019, 09:37 PM
Uk was 15/42 throwing the ball. Yeah they dropped some balls but we dropped a bunch of ints too. Now the tackling has to improve.

Tackling has alot to do with fatigue every game the majority of missed tackles happen in second half. We dont have many subs sadly. Young guys are figuring it out though Shoop is top notch considering. He has some great packages

Commercecomet24
09-21-2019, 09:39 PM
Tackling has alot to do with fatigue every game the majority of missed tackles happen in second half. We dont have many subs sadly. Young guys are figuring it out though Shoop is top notch considering. He has some great packages

Good points. Shoop dialed up a few exotic looks today. Heck Chauncey almost has a pick dropping into zone coverage on one.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-21-2019, 09:40 PM
Safeties simply aren't good. Too slow athletically and mentally. CBs are fine but Dantzler is the only guy you can put on a good WR and expect to cover for 4+ seconds, which is how long it takes our pass rush to get there. Leo occasionally busts and assignment which makes the secondary look bad.

I'm disappointed in our DE's. I thought Rivers would get pressure at higher rates than he is, and he's almost never double teamed either so it's just him vs the OT. Moreover, I thought Fletcher Adams and Kobe Jones would do more. They seem useless except to occupy their space. I never see them beating the OT in pass rush and I rarely see them getting off the block on run plays. At least they don't get pushed around like the non-Autry DT's sometimes do.

All in all, coming into the year we had 3 questions: 1) how would the safeties do? 2) how would the DTs do? 3) Can the DE's be good enough to make up for the DT situation? Well we've yet to have a true SEC safety step up, Autry suspension really hurt the DTs, and the DE position looks average at best, and certainly not able to pick up anyone's slack.

The surprises have been 1) Blown assignments, and 2) Poor tackling. We never had either problem last year. Maybe that's because the DL got home before blown DB coverages could be exposed. Maybe the poor tackling is because of our bad S&C coach. But neither one was expected by me in the slightest.

We 100% will get demolished in the air vs Bama and LSU, and I fear Auburn will roll us on the ground. But we'll hold our own vs everyone else and give us a shot to win

Dawgology
09-21-2019, 09:41 PM
Young guys and I’m sure depth is impacted by 10+ suspensions.

KOdawg1
09-21-2019, 10:17 PM
I am also concerned with our pass rush. Seems even though there were a bunch of incompletions, the QB had all day to throw. We only seem to get pressure when we bring the house.

confucius say
09-21-2019, 10:17 PM
We have 2 people that matter and maybe a third if Marcus could get up to speed. Leave the rest out, all bench guys. None saw the field except whop for a play or two.

But gay is worth 7 so it equals 10

Irondawg
09-21-2019, 10:49 PM
The safeties are a concern as they just aren't making any impactful plays. I was about sick of watching Morgan get beat by two steps, have the WR drop the ball or QB overthrow him and then watch him talk trash.

Landrews doesn't attack the run game hard very often.

I thought we might see more Murphy today but we didn't. We signed Peters as a JUCO safety and he can't see the field. Wonder why we haven't tried Emerson at safety given our need there. Shoop is the safety coach so I'm assuming he's indeed playing the best guys.

Captain Falcon
09-21-2019, 11:10 PM
Wasn?t always pretty but at the end of the day, held them to 36% passing and only gave up one TD. We aren?t close to last year?s defense but we aren?t nearly as bad as some of our fans seem to think.

Cooterpoot
09-21-2019, 11:13 PM
We’re a Jeff Collins like defense, minus 1A/B.

Ari Gold
09-22-2019, 09:44 AM
LSU gives up 38 to Vandy..
They must suck ass on defense

Jack Lambert
09-22-2019, 09:50 AM
Also I think there are a few injuries they are dealing with.

Jack Lambert
09-22-2019, 09:52 AM
Wasn?t always pretty but at the end of the day, held them to 36% passing and only gave up one TD. We aren?t close to last year?s defense but we aren?t nearly as bad as some of our fans seem to think.

Plus they have a 20 foot tall (****) receiver who was cumming into the game with 12 consecutive catches or pass interference call. He is probably a NFL guy.

IMissJack
09-22-2019, 10:00 AM

Yep, announcer said the same thing during the ND vs. UGA game. He was commenting on how ND was not tackling as well in the second half because the D was getting tired. He also said that many times poor tackling is from being out of position, due to fatigue, not just bad tackling technique. However, I don't understand how we have looked so out of shape on D at times. IF our S&C coach is that bad, a change is needed immediately.

IMissJack
09-22-2019, 10:02 AM

Those are good numbers, but didn't their QB have a bad shoulder?

basedog
09-22-2019, 10:22 AM
I don't care who we play, so when you only give up 13 points you are doing something good. Bending defense, yes, poor tackling yes, but not caving in for TD's good deal. They are getting better, oh I still think Ksu would beat Kentucky. We were the better team no doubt against Kentucky.

Cooterpoot
09-22-2019, 10:25 AM
Other than tackling being poor, the defense is about what I expected. Bend but don’t break, forced to bring pressure, missing Gay.

basedog
09-22-2019, 10:28 AM
Other than tackling being poor, the defense is about what I expected. Bend but don’t break, forced to bring pressure, missing Gay.

yes to this ^^^^^^^^

Mjoelner34
09-22-2019, 10:51 AM
These two plays are prime examples of what bothers me about the D. Check out the plays at 0:48 and 5:55. Both should have been tackles for a loss or no gain at best but our every time UK would stutter-step, our defender would come to a dead stop and reach out with their arms as the guy slid right past us for a big gain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_9X268CGCQ

NCDawg
09-22-2019, 11:57 AM
We need another good LB to go with Thompson and Gay. I had hopes that Bruie, Watson, Johnson, or Kilby-Lane would have added some depth. Apparently they haven't progressed much in the coach's evaluation since they aren't playing.

timotheus
09-22-2019, 12:50 PM
I know he's involved in the suspension deal but what is the projection for jett johnson and playing time after this season?

Lord McBuckethead
09-22-2019, 01:13 PM

Our D E F E N S E should be written like this, cause we have a few holes. But it is amazing on what a 10 player prolonged suspension does to the defense.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2019, 01:20 PM
I don't care who we play, so when you only give up 13 points you are doing something good. Bending defense, yes, poor tackling yes, but not caving in for TD's good deal. They are getting better, oh I still think Ksu would beat Kentucky. We were the better team no doubt against Kentucky.

Yeah the name of the game is scoring points and it doesn't matter how you keep the other team from scoring as long as you keep them from scoring.

basedog
09-22-2019, 01:58 PM
Yeah the name of the game is scoring points and it doesn't matter how you keep the other team from scoring as long as you keep them from scoring.

Btw cc24, heard the baseball scrimmage yesterday was pretty impressive. Some of the young guys can rack. I do understand it’s just practice but......

Commercecomet24
09-22-2019, 02:36 PM
Btw cc24, heard the baseball scrimmage yesterday was pretty impressive. Some of the young guys can rack. I do understand it’s just practice but......

That's great news. Was talking to mike last night and he said this team looks legit. Pick up right where we left off.

R2Dawg
09-22-2019, 02:39 PM
They were really good with Willie and Autry in there

Gay and Autry make this D from Ave to good. Gay is a man among boys. So glad he is coming back next year. Hope Thompson comes back.

Commercecomet24
09-22-2019, 02:45 PM
Gay and Autry make this D from Ave to good. Gay is a man among boys. So glad he is coming back next year. Hope Thompson comes back.

Huge difference with those 2 on the field.