PDA

View Full Version : Chad Morris and Ark

Matt3467
09-21-2019, 08:43 PM
Was a huge fan of the hire and he's recruited well his first two years, but I'm about out of excuses for his teams poor play. I know Bielema didn't leave him with a lot and many knew he'd have a tough time but regardless barely beating Portland St and losing to San Jose St 24-7 currently is unacceptable for an SEC team. Unless huge strides are made this season I don't think he should be the coach next year although I believe he will be.

TrapGame
09-21-2019, 08:45 PM
Arkansas is the Tennessee of the West. They are terrible.

msstatelp1
09-21-2019, 08:49 PM
Arkansas is in the same boat we are. If you fire him this year, then no coach worth having will take the job unless you offer extremely high $$$$ because they know they'll only have a couple of years before the fans and the admin send them packing.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-21-2019, 08:51 PM
Was a huge fan of the hire and he's recruited well his first two years, but I'm about out of excuses for his teams poor play. I know Bielema didn't leave him with a lot and many knew he'd have a tough time but regardless barely beating Portland St and losing to San Jose St 24-7 currently is unacceptable for an SEC team. Unless huge strides are made this season I don't think he should be the coach next year although I believe he will be.

It also took him 3 years to get SMU up to 7 wins... his successor comes in and in year 2 is 4-0 with a win over TCU. To me, the odds of Morris being an SEC HC and then being followed by an even better coach is slim to none... I think Morris is an average/slightly above average G5 coach. People decided he was good back at Clemson when he created a good O. He's done nothing to build his resume since yet people haven't updated their opinions

Saltydog
09-21-2019, 08:55 PM
Yep and that's a great comparison. Neither State produces a lot of DI talent and have to rely on recruiting out of the state. Missouri and aTm coming to the SEC has hurt the Pigs.

Pollodawg
09-21-2019, 08:58 PM
Arkansas fell on its sword and fired Petrini right when he was getting it going there. That coincided with ATM going the SEC and shutting off Arkansas’s recruit supply line from Texas. They couldn’t sell SEC playing time anymore. They’re a talent poor state on an island now.

And that isn’t going to change. Still, it’s hard to believe how bad they are.

Pollodawg
09-21-2019, 09:01 PM
Which is odd. Don’t they have a couple of top twenty classes the last two years?

Bothrops
09-21-2019, 09:11 PM
Which is odd. Don’t they have a couple of top twenty classes the last two years?

Texas recruits, so probably about top 40 in reality.

TrapGame
09-21-2019, 09:12 PM

If they got a lot of Texas guys on defense that explains it.

Pollodawg
09-21-2019, 09:20 PM

I’ve said for years for that Texas high school football is wildly overrated. It’s all finesse, and nobody plays defense.

gravedigger
09-21-2019, 09:56 PM
Arkansas is in the same boat we are. If you fire him this year, then no coach worth having will take the job unless you offer extremely high $$$$ because they know they'll only have a couple of years before the fans and the admin send them packing.

I know 14 year old girls that dont need this much attention

Coach007
09-21-2019, 10:00 PM

That was the hire that concerned me.

Seems they have massive issues in roster.

MetEdDawg
09-21-2019, 10:17 PM
Starkel throws a pick to end the game. Arky loses 31-24. Starkel threw 5 picks

DancingRabbit
09-21-2019, 10:22 PM
Starkel throws a pick to end the game. Arky loses 31-24. Starkel threw 5 picks

This guy is dumber than MGK with half the arm.

Turfdawg67
09-21-2019, 11:22 PM
Enter 7 with his defense of Morris... nope. Guess he's off that wagon. Just like UT.

Commercecomet24
09-21-2019, 11:26 PM
Morris and Pruitt are both horrible. Their teams are going backwards. Neither arky or ut shows any signs of progress, i mean zero progress.

DancingRabbit
09-21-2019, 11:26 PM
Enter 7 with his defense of Morris... nope. Guess he's off that wagon. Just like UT.

Somebody said he was watching Jimbo

Sienfield
09-22-2019, 06:35 AM

I see what you did there. Very True.

DownwardDawg
09-22-2019, 06:59 AM

Hahaha!!!!

basedog
09-22-2019, 07:15 AM
Morris has been "Croomed"**

Pruitt, well he is off the charts, listening to his post game comments sounds like someone running the nails down a chalk board!

TrapGame
09-22-2019, 07:41 AM
Morris has been "Croomed"**

Pruitt, well he is off the charts, listening to his post game comments sounds like someone running the nails down a chalk board!

More like an out of tune banjo. It was like listening to a hillbilly recap of the game. Pruitt is an imbecile.

Maroonthirteen
09-22-2019, 09:11 AM
Arkansas is a case study in appreciate what you have.

They should have never run off Nutt.

BeardoMSU
09-22-2019, 09:21 AM
Arkansas is a case study in appreciate what you have.

They should have never run off Nutt.

Well, Petrino had them riding pretty high....probably wish they didn't fire him, lol.

Maroonthirteen
09-22-2019, 09:32 AM
Well, Petrino had them riding pretty high....probably wish they didn't fire him, lol.

Petrino has burned every program to the ground that he has been HC. His recruiting of WRs only would have caught up with him a year or two later. Nutt would have won 9-10 games with Ryan Mallet too.

yjnkdawg
09-22-2019, 10:36 AM

LOL And what boat is that?

Dawgtini
09-22-2019, 12:43 PM
I know 14 year old girls that dont need this much attention
lol +1

Commercecomet24
09-22-2019, 12:47 PM
Arky maybe the slowest team in cfb. They have absolutely no team speed especially on defense. Players look like they're running in quicksands

R2Dawg
09-22-2019, 02:46 PM
LOL And what boat is that?

Yeah they are not even in the same body of water we are. UT, yeah that is maybe the same boat.

WPS
09-23-2019, 10:26 AM
Petrino has burned every program to the ground that he has been HC. His recruiting of WRs only would have caught up with him a year or two later. Nutt would have won 9-10 games with Ryan Mallet too.

Nutt wanted Mallett at TE which is why he went to Michigan to begin with. Plus Petrino flipped Joe Adams from USC where he was going to play DB when Nutt was coach. I think Petrino is washed up now though, I mean he went 2-10 last year same as Arkansas.

If Morris loses to Western Kentucky with Ty Storey starting for them (who lost to Central Arkansas) then it wouldn't surprise me if we fire him on the spot but otherwise I still think he gets another year although attendance might be at an all time low. Doesn't matter if he's recruiting well if we keep losing to G5 teams every year. Starkel throws for 300+ and 3 TDs against Colorado State and then turns around and throws 5 picks against SJSU. Hard to understand how Morris loses to a team like that when he beat better teams than that at SMU.

Jack Lambert
09-23-2019, 10:32 AM
Yep and that's a great comparison. Neither State produces a lot of DI talent and have to rely on recruiting out of the state.

I agree with this but Arkansas is the school in that state and you would think over a four year period they would have enough top rated athletes to fill out a roster of 85.

PMDawg
09-23-2019, 10:37 AM

An absolutely horrible comparison. Morris went 2-10 last year and is on pace to do about the same this year. You absolutely can, and maybe SHOULD, fire a 2nd year coach for that. And coaches would apply, because they would think "hey, that guy won like 5 games in two years, he should have been fired. I will win way more games than that." Or something to that effect. In essence, you had a really bad hot take.

Tbonewannabe
09-23-2019, 11:41 AM
An absolutely horrible comparison. Morris went 2-10 last year and is on pace to do about the same this year. You absolutely can, and maybe SHOULD, fire a 2nd year coach for that. And coaches would apply, because they would think "hey, that guy won like 5 games in two years, he should have been fired. I will win way more games than that." Or something to that effect. In essence, you had a really bad hot take.

Not winning even 1 SEC game in two years is bad enough but throw in the G5 losses and I don't think anyone would think that guy deserves a 3rd year. It isn't like he has a top 5 class or anything to hang his hat on.

Now Joe is a different matter. I think most people outside of fans think he did at least an OK job last year. Our programs aren't even remotely the same at this time.

R2Dawg
09-23-2019, 11:47 AM
Not winning even 1 SEC game in two years is bad enough but throw in the G5 losses and I don't think anyone would think that guy deserves a 3rd year. It isn't like he has a top 5 class or anything to hang his hat on.

Now Joe is a different matter. I think most people outside of fans think he did at least an OK job last year. Our programs aren't even remotely the same at this time.

Ark and UT are similar. Neither have been good for a long time. Maybe Ark had a decent year here or there since UT in 10 years. They are both celler dwellers of their divisions for 10 years minus Olemiss or Vandy in a few years.

Tbonewannabe
09-23-2019, 12:19 PM
Ark and UT are similar. Neither have been good for a long time. Maybe Ark had a decent year here or there since UT in 10 years. They are both celler dwellers of their divisions for 10 years minus Olemiss or Vandy in a few years.

They are actually very similar. Both are THE university in their state but the state they are in doesn't produce enough SEC level athletes so they have to recruit primarily outside of their state. They both have a good history and tradition but it has been quite a while now since they were consistently good.

Both also show how hard it is to get a good coach that can be consistently good. It isn't lack of money that prevents either from being good.

RougeDawg
09-23-2019, 01:57 PM
Arkansas fell on its sword and fired Petrini right when he was getting it going there. That coincided with ATM going the SEC and shutting off Arkansas?s recruit supply line from Texas. They couldn?t sell SEC playing time anymore. They?re a talent poor state on an island now.

And that isn?t going to change. Still, it?s hard to believe how bad they are.

Eerily Odd that the posts in this thread are almost word for word what I?ve been posting about Arkansas and A&M since the Aggies joined the league. Almost cut and paste posts.

Makes me wonder.

Bothrops
09-23-2019, 02:48 PM
I think Petrino is done. Gonna be some high profile firing and hiring later this year in the league.

Doggie_Style
09-23-2019, 03:04 PM
I think Petrino is done. Gonna be some high profile firing and hiring later this year in the league.

Yep......3 of top 4 on Hot Seat from SEC...

https://www.coacheshotseat.com/

basedog
09-23-2019, 03:16 PM
Yep......3 of top 4 on Hot Seat from SEC...

https://www.coacheshotseat.com/

Interesting!