PDA

View Full Version : Let's be realistic

Maverick
09-20-2019, 01:42 PM
Looking back now and forward at the same time.... What kind of effect do you think that all the suspensions plus Tommy being out had on our game vs K-State? I've seen a lot of people say we were the more talented team on paper but how did we stack up after you consider all that? I still think we should have won and definitely had the opportunity but that's beside the point. It has to be pretty obvious that the suspensions took what many considered to be a "rebuilding" year to a whole other level and we may have to come to terms with that. A team some saw as having a ceiling of 8-4 couldn't have had that same ceiling anymore right?

Do you expect to see a slightly different team vs Kentucky depending on who all plays? How does this team change as the season progresses with all the new kids playing because of the suspensions? Some of the issues we saw last year like false starts and a QB who couldn't run the offense appear to be fixed or at least better. Does Joe continue to learn, adapt, and recruit his guys to fill gaps? I feel like he's a smart guy and should but only time will tell I guess.

We are only in year two with a new coach and new scheme. He's trying to get his guys and needs time. There's a median point here where people either need to come back down to earth and realize what we currently have going on or people need to realize the sky isn't falling and see what appears to be in the works with Shrader and company for the future. There just seems to be an overreaction one way or the other as oppose to an even kill look at the big picture.

msstate7
09-20-2019, 01:45 PM
We certainly were missing some guys, and it hurt. I can't help but think about wr though... this is probably our weakest position group, and we had Kansas state's leading the receiver the last 2 years sitting on our bench. We absolutely are more talented than them.

Scared_Hitless
09-20-2019, 01:54 PM
It is probably the difference between winning and losing. Shrader wasn't ready to lead the team to victory though we can all agree he played with some guts. Autry and Gay are the killers on D if we had them we would have a salty unit honestly (Leo and DT have been our biggest weaknesses besides injuries). Our WR core is bad I like Osiris and he has developed well, but overall we have to get some players here that can go get the ball. Zuber being injured and not getting the spring and Summer reps has hurt him and the team. He needed more time in the offense maybe he comes on later in the year, but Joe for all that is holy let him return punts and kicks please.

Johnson85
09-20-2019, 02:28 PM
Looking back now and forward at the same time.... What kind of effect do you think that all the suspensions plus Tommy being out had on our game vs K-State? I've seen a lot of people say we were the more talented team on paper but how did we stack up after you consider all that? I still think we should have won and definitely had the opportunity but that's beside the point. It has to be pretty obvious that the suspensions took what many considered to be a "rebuilding" year to a whole other level and we may have to come to terms with that. A team some saw as having a ceiling of 8-4 couldn't have had that same ceiling anymore right?

Do you expect to see a slightly different team vs Kentucky depending on who all plays? How does this team change as the season progresses with all the new kids playing because of the suspensions? Some of the issues we saw last year like false starts and a QB who couldn't run the offense appear to be fixed or at least better. Does Joe continue to learn, adapt, and recruit his guys to fill gaps? I feel like he's a smart guy and should but only time will tell I guess.

We are only in year two with a new coach and new scheme. He's trying to get his guys and needs time. There's a median point here where people either need to come back down to earth and realize what we currently have going on or people need to realize the sky isn't falling and see what appears to be in the works with Shrader and company for the future. There just seems to be an overreaction one way or the other as oppose to an even kill look at the big picture.

Very few teams can lose their starting QB, their best defensive player, the second best defensive player for a half, and their most important defensive player b/c of lack of depth, and win. Our D was somewhat promising considering what they were dealing with. Just hard to say on offense. Having a true freshman QB just makes it hard.

Bothrops
09-20-2019, 02:29 PM
It made the difference between winning and losing last weekend.

biggun
09-20-2019, 04:56 PM
Any word on if Gay and Autry are playing tomorrow???? Dantzler???

timotheus
09-20-2019, 05:46 PM
Gay and Autry are going. Dantzler may play some depending on how the warmup goes

msstate7
09-20-2019, 05:47 PM
Gay and Autry are going. Dantzler may play some depending on how the warmup goes

Dantzler would be a huge loss... Bowden is really good

MedDawg
09-20-2019, 05:50 PM

Everyone mentions missing suspended starters Autry and Willie Gay but I have to wonder if we are missing some of the other suspended players. We might be playing 3rd and 4th stringers at multiple positions instead of them. That makes a difference, too.

Captain Falcon
09-20-2019, 06:35 PM
Dantzler would be a huge loss... Bowden is really good

Concerned about Wagner as well. Former basketball player at Iowa who is just now coming into his own as a football player. Saw a crazy stat where he has either caught a pass or drawn pass interference in all but one of the times he’s been targeted in his career. Had a crazy TD catch against Florida last week.

Captain Falcon
09-20-2019, 06:36 PM
Everyone mentions missing suspended starters Autry and Willie Gay but I have to wonder if we are missing some of the other suspended players. We might be playing 3rd and 4th stringers at multiple positions instead of them. That makes a difference, too.

Murphy is a very big absence for me. Morgan has struggled at times and we don’t really have anyone with experience backing him up, so it’s been a real issue.

msstate7
09-20-2019, 06:59 PM
Concerned about Wagner as well. Former basketball player at Iowa who is just now coming into his own as a football player. Saw a crazy stat where he has either caught a pass or drawn pass interference in all but one of the times he’s been targeted in his career. Had a crazy TD catch against Florida last week.

Gonna have to pressure QB tomorrow

ArrowDawg
09-20-2019, 09:02 PM
Injuries or not, suspensions or not, it's been my belief since we hired Moorhead that his system won't work at MSU. He'll never be able to match up against the best in the SEC because he'll never recruit on their level. It's a pipe dream thinking he'll bring his offensive "genius"
to MSU and somehow elevate our program above what Mullen did. At best he'll maintain that level of success, and that's only as long as he comes to understand in the long run that running the football is and always has been our best chance to succeed. Ball control and limiting opponent time of possession.