PDA

View Full Version : We're a Baseball School- MSU baseball thoughts

Todd4State
09-18-2019, 11:39 PM
As I said last year I thought we had a chance to go to Omaha. And despite losing some special players like Mangum, Small, and MacNamee- we still have the talent to go back again. We have not only a veteran team- but a team that has been to Omaha twice and all of our players have been to at least a SR during their time here. They know how to win. And we don't have a lot of question marks- we're pretty set.

Fri- Ginn- potential first round pick selected for Team USA but rested.
Sat- Cerentola- potential first round pick after his junior year who pitched for Team Canada and had a strong summer
Sun- Christian MacLeoud- He missed last year with an illness but has been very impressive. Impressive enough for me to call it and give him the Sunday spot right now.

I know we just lost Small and Plumlee was very good down the stretch- but I wouldn't be surprised at all if our rotation is better than last year.

Our bullpen as it is every year has a lot of competition and a lot of open spots. But we have Brandon Smith who is my favorite for closer although I'm not going to call it yet, and then we have some veterans like Riley Self, Spencer Price, and Jack Eagan who have all had success at this level and are seniors, and then we have two transfers- Carlisle Koestler and David Dunlavey, and then some JUCO guys like Houston Harding and Jaxen Forrester who are all competing for spots. Then we have Logan Tanner who was throwing 97 but was wild. If he can harness his command he could potentially close. KC Hunt is a freshman who has been impressive and Landon Sims and Davis Rokose were highly thought of prospects in high school. We have options- but we just have to figure out where the pieces go. If Tanner can step up and take the closers role it would be huge. But also hardly a given. Bryce Brock could surprise people this year and take over Barlow's role.

Catcher- I would say Luke Hancock has the edge right now. Hayden Jones has a high ceiling and is improving and may platoon with Hancock. Former 8th grade commit Austin Kelly will be the third guy for now.

1B- Will be either Hatcher, Tanner Allen, or JUCO transfer Brandon Pimental. Pimental has been practicing there in scrimmages and until he shows that he can play the OF, I'm guessing he starts although Lemonis hinted more at Allen and Hatcher.
2B- Foscue. Played for Team USA. Potential all-SEC player
3B- Between Landon Jordan and Kamren James, who is Keegan's brother. Really depends on how much Jordan's fielding improves and whether James can hit early as a freshman. This one probably won't be settled until sometime during the season.
SS- Westburg- Selected for Team USA, tore up the Cape, and is a potential first round pick. Potential All-SEC player although Casey Martin of Arkansas is generally rated higher.

LF- Hatcher or Allen. Probably Hatcher. Although as stated above he could be in the mix at first base.
CF- Rowdey who struggled in the Cape but is having a good fall.
RF- Allen, who played for Team USA, Hatcher, or maybe even Brad Cumbest who I love as far as his skill set is concerned.

DH- Could go in a lot of different directions here. Could be Landon Jordan if James is a better defender and can hit some. Could be Hayden Jones. Could be Cumbest or Pimental.

Should be a fun year!

basedog
09-19-2019, 07:35 AM
Saw James play several times, he was pretty smooth infielder, run ok and like you say his adjusting to Sec pitching will be a wait and see. Kid was a good HS hitter.

Nice write up.

State82
09-19-2019, 08:28 AM
Good stuff. Finally something worth reading on here. 17 football.

PKADogs55
09-19-2019, 08:30 AM
Enjoyed reading this. Appreciate the insight Todd.

Saltydog
09-19-2019, 08:56 AM
I think Smith could be our Saturday starter and he pitched well down the stretch last year. I think Cerantola may be better suited to be our closer, possibly a multi inning type of closer. His stuff is just filthy. I just prefer a guy with power stuff in the closer role but that's just me. Really hope Landon Jordan can grab a hold of that 3b spot. I think he's gonna hit but hopefully his glove has improved. I'm also looking for bigger things from Hayden Jones. I think he's got a higher ceiling than Luke Hancock but Hancock did play well down the stretch last year.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2019, 08:58 AM
I think Smith could be our Saturday starter and he pitched well down the stretch last year. I think Cerantola may be better suited to be our closer, possibly a multi inning type of closer. His stuff is just filthy. I just prefer a guy with power stuff in the closer role but that's just me.

What Todd posted was best case scenario. What you've posted may be more in line with reality

hp22
09-19-2019, 10:00 AM
Enjoyed the read/baseball discussion. And I'm counting down the days until baseball begins.

I have a few questions/observations:

1. The closer situation: I see Brandon Smith as being a guy that could end up in the starting rotation. I have no information and I'm only going from what I have seen. But he has the look of a starter. A fastball with a ton of movement consistently in the 91-94 range. Developing that reliable secondary pitch is key for him. I just thought he had some very effective extended outings. He is composed mechanically too.

2. You mentioned it, but we have to find someone that can chew up the innings Liebelt gave us.....and Barlow specifically in the first half of the year. It sounds like we have a few candidates to replace White.

3. The leadoff hitter situation: It will be interesting to see who we place at the top of the lineup card. Rowdey is the clear answer but the more I think about it I like his bat in the second spot. He has the aggressive approach that can reach gaps. It will be interesting to see how we play that.

4. Rowdey>TA>Foscue>Westburg might be the toughest stretch of outs in college baseball. If Hatcher picks up where he left off, L Jordan can consistently find a spot defensively, and Cumbest plays to his skill set.....we could be a hell of a team to watch at the plate. I also really like Luke Hancock's approach at the plate. He is very disciplined and works counts effectively.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2019, 10:03 AM
Enjoyed the read/baseball discussion. And I'm counting down the days until baseball begins.

I have a few questions/observations:

1. The closer situation: I see Brandon Smith as being a guy that could end up in the starting rotation. I have no information and I'm only going from what I have seen. But he has the look of a starter. A fastball with a ton of movement consistently in the 91-94 range. Developing that reliable secondary pitch is key for him. I just thought he had some very effective extended outings. He is composed mechanically too.

2. You mentioned it, but we have to find someone that can chew up the innings Liebelt gave us.....and Barlow specifically in the first half of the year. It sounds like we have a few candidates to replace White.

3. The leadoff hitter situation: It will be interesting to see who we place at the top of the lineup card. Rowdey is the clear answer but the more I think about it I like his bat in the second spot. He has the aggressive approach that can reach gaps. It will be interesting to see how we play that.

For me,

Foscue
Westburg
Allen

I'd maximize the ABs of my three sluggers while sticking Westy in front of Allen to maximize the number of fast balls Westy got.

When you don't have a Mangum type leadoff, the best answer is to stack your best hitters at the top increase the HRs chances due to maximizing their ABs

I really don't have much interest in getting Rowdy an extra AB at the sacrifice of one of the 3 sluggers getting one less AB

vv83
09-19-2019, 10:08 AM
Wasn't there some chatter that JT's camp was requesting he plays 3B this year? Has that died down? Really would love to see him focus 100% on being the Friday guy

Dawgbite
09-19-2019, 10:09 AM
This is how you pump sunshine! Bait and Switch.

AlSwearengen
09-19-2019, 10:26 AM
Wasn't there some chatter that JT's camp was requesting he plays 3B this year? Has that died down? Really would love to see him focus 100% on being the Friday guy

I can’t even begin to imagine wanting to do anything with JT other than pitch. He had arm soreness throughout the year last year. He is projected in the early/middle of the first round as a pitcher. I just can’t imagine adding any stress to that arm.

Pollodawg
09-19-2019, 10:27 AM
We are absolutely a baseball school. Mississippi is very quietly a baseball state.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2019, 10:33 AM
We are absolutely a baseball school. Mississippi is very quietly a baseball state.

I wish we weren't

I'd much rather be like LSU & be a football school that is also really good at baseball.

Coursesuper
09-19-2019, 10:41 AM
I think Smith could be our Saturday starter and he pitched well down the stretch last year. I think Cerantola may be better suited to be our closer, possibly a multi inning type of closer. His stuff is just filthy. I just prefer a guy with power stuff in the closer role but that's just me. Really hope Landon Jordan can grab a hold of that 3b spot. I think he's gonna hit but hopefully his glove has improved. I'm also looking for bigger things from Hayden Jones. I think he's got a higher ceiling than Luke Hancock but Hancock did play well down the stretch last year.

Ive been watching Landon play since he was in the 7th grade, he moves very well to his glove side but has never been very good to his off side. I hope that with some quality coaching he will be able to clean that up. I hope he can lock that spot down also because he is going to hit.

AlSwearengen
09-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Good post Todd and I will add (this may be common knowledge) that Austin Kelly and Mason Land have apparently been pretty impressive with the bats. Both players and coaches have mentioned them. PG mentions in both of their bio’s that they have elite bats.

vv83
09-19-2019, 12:35 PM
I can?t even begin to imagine wanting to do anything with JT other than pitch. He had arm soreness throughout the year last year. He is projected in the early/middle of the first round as a pitcher. I just can?t imagine adding any stress to that arm.

Yeah it wasn't us, his dad was mentioning it I believe.

Pollodawg
09-19-2019, 01:08 PM
I wish we weren't

I'd much rather be like LSU & be a football school that is also really good at baseball.

Me too.

The Federalist Engineer
09-20-2019, 03:50 PM
Few points:

Things that are uniquely great

(1) I love the experience in the pitching group: we have 5 seniors: Price, Self, Eagan, Dunlavey, Koestler. We may have a perfect season in midweek again.
(2) I love the quality depth of Freshmen: Badnar, Sims, Rokose, Hunt, Hill, Tanner
(3) There are several positions were we have a mix of depth and talent fighting for the Job: Catcher, 1st Base, 3rd Base, and Corner Outfield

I rather have Brandon Smith start. We have all these seniors to close games.

Rick Danko
09-20-2019, 05:34 PM
I wish we weren't

Hate to say it, but dream on. Maybe one of these days we won?t be 50?th in everything and can become a force to be reckoned with in all aspects of the SEC. But don?t hold your breath. And you damn sure better not give me a Po Ol Missipp State argument, it?s just facts for the current landscape of things. Dream for a baseball title and hope and pray to get one before you die, sadly that?s where I am

Pollodawg
09-20-2019, 06:29 PM
Hate to say it, but dream on. Maybe one of these days we won?t be 50?th in everything and can become a force to be reckoned with in all aspects of the SEC. But don?t hold your breath. And you damn sure better not give me a Po Ol Missipp State argument, it?s just facts for the current landscape of things. Dream for a baseball title and hope and pray to get one before you die, sadly that?s where I am

Where we’re ranked as a state is irrelevant. Louisiana is 49th and, in some instances, worse than we are. They have nice things.

Homedawg
09-20-2019, 07:15 PM
delete

yjnkdawg
09-20-2019, 07:54 PM
I wish we weren't

LSU has the history, and been known as a football school since back when Billy Cannon played there and was an All American and LSU's backup defense was known as the "Chinese Bandits". LSU can recruit on the national recruiting scene for top players, and they may miss a few LA kids to out of state schools, but basically if LSU wants a LA kid then they usually get him. Oh, it would be great if we could become a football school, but the reality is that we are a long way from being recognized as a football school. If that ever does occur. Football schools have a long proven history of being up there, playing for and winning national championships,etc. We don't have that history.

The Federalist Engineer
09-21-2019, 02:48 PM
I can?t even begin to imagine wanting to do anything with JT other than pitch. He had arm soreness throughout the year last year. He is projected in the early/middle of the first round as a pitcher. I just can?t imagine adding any stress to that arm.

I think getting a right handed bat is a priority- but it seems that options are emerging that don?t require using a top pitcher as DH or in the field. Coach talk seems confident in this regard

I think we get a righty hitter or two from:

Cumbest, Lovett, Austin Kelly, Logan Tanner or Kyte McDonald