PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead is still my guy......

Lord McBuckethead
09-18-2019, 12:48 PM
No sarcasm here. I like Joe Moorhead. I see where he wants to go with our team, and I agree with it. People keep saying 3 yards and a Cloud of dust, the MSState way...yada yada. Look 3 yards will not win it in this league. Not for us. If we had 11 4-5 stars starting both side of the football like GA and Bama, then yes. We could compete that way. We have to have big strike capabilites in both passing and rushing to do it. We need to open up the field. Keep the defense guessing and playing straight up. We need exceptional play calling, execution, and qb play. Moorhead is trying to do it. He can and will do it. We just have to let him have a little bit of time.

I hate losing. I hate looking out of position and out of our gameplan. That is wgat has bothered me this season, especially the KSU game and our defense this season. But I realize 10 players our suspended including 3 contributors on defense. I understand we have played 18 combinations on the oline so far due to injuries. I understand that Tommy has something going on with his upper body. I underatand these things are impacting the entire team from top coaching down to fg holder.

So I am behind Moorhead. Get us to 6 wins and we can all be pissed at the players that has handicapped us this entire season because they couldn't google simple ass answers for a intro to chem class and do their simple homeowrk during the off season.

Fader21
09-18-2019, 01:09 PM
Great Post... Rep Given

TrapGame
09-18-2019, 01:11 PM
Your post is too rational and makes too much sense.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lord McBuckethead again.

smootness
09-18-2019, 01:52 PM
No sarcasm here. I like Joe Moorhead. I see where he wants to go with our team, and I agree with it. People keep saying 3 yards and a Cloud of dust, the MSState way...yada yada. Look 3 yards will not win it in this league. Not for us. If we had 11 4-5 stars starting both side of the football like GA and Bama, then yes. We could compete that way. We have to have big strike capabilites in both passing and rushing to do it. We need to open up the field. Keep the defense guessing and playing straight up. We need exceptional play calling, execution, and qb play. Moorhead is trying to do it.
I agree with this for the most part, I think we have to be innovative and creative on offense with our playcalling, personnel, all of that. It's why I initially loved the Moorhead hire.

He can and will do it. We just have to let him have a little bit of time.
And this is where I just disagree. I think I've seen enough to know that while he is intending and attempting to do the things we need to do, I just don't think he's the guy who can actually do them. I don't think he runs an organized, disciplined program, and I think his offense has fatal flaws that make it extremely hard to have lots of success against a well-coached defense.

Offshore Dawg
09-18-2019, 01:58 PM
Way too much logic for this board

ShotgunDawg
09-18-2019, 02:01 PM
No sarcasm here. I like Joe Moorhead. I see where he wants to go with our team, and I agree with it. People keep saying 3 yards and a Cloud of dust, the MSState way...yada yada. Look 3 yards will not win it in this league. Not for us. If we had 11 4-5 stars starting both side of the football like GA and Bama, then yes. We could compete that way. We have to have big strike capabilites in both passing and rushing to do it. We need to open up the field. Keep the defense guessing and playing straight up. We need exceptional play calling, execution, and qb play. Moorhead is trying to do it. He can and will do it. We just have to let him have a little bit of time.

I hate losing. I hate looking out of position and out of our gameplan. That is wgat has bothered me this season, especially the KSU game and our defense this season. But I realize 10 players our suspended including 3 contributors on defense. I understand we have played 18 combinations on the oline so far due to injuries. I understand that Tommy has something going on with his upper body. I underatand these things are impacting the entire team from top coaching down to fg holder.

So I am behind Moorhead. Get us to 6 wins and we can all be pissed at the players that has handicapped us this entire season because they couldn't google simple ass answers for a intro to chem class and do their simple homeowrk during the off season.

Help me understand what he's done to be your guy?

Or is anyone that signs on to the MSU football coach, "your guy"?

ShotgunDawg
09-18-2019, 02:02 PM
I agree with this for the most part, I think we have to be innovative and creative on offense with our playcalling, personnel, all of that. It's why I initially loved the Moorhead hire.

And this is where I just disagree. I think I've seen enough to know that while he is intending and attempting to do the things we need to do, I just don't think he's the guy who can actually do them. I don't think he runs an organized, disciplined program, and I think his offense has fatal flaws that make it extremely hard to have lots of success against a well-coached defense.

Seems to me good pass rusher absolutely destroy his offense

WPDawg
09-18-2019, 02:05 PM

Great post. I feel that a large percentage of MSU fans support that sentiment. Support what Joe is doing and see how things work out. I hate losing but the man has been successful everywhere he has coached. I trust that he hates losing also and not just for himself but also for the players and fan base.

Liverpooldawg
09-18-2019, 02:08 PM

Yep.

Liverpooldawg
09-18-2019, 02:13 PM
Help me understand what he's done to be your guy?

Or is anyone that signs on to the MSU football coach, "your guy"?

He is using logic, and understands what wins in big time football now. Smashmouth ain't getting you nothing special. I love smashmouth football, bit it won't get it now. The MSU always runs to win is same ole State thinking. What Moorehead does is where football is headed. Is he the guy? School is still out. But what he does is what we need to be doing.

Jack Lambert
09-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Great post. I feel that a large percentage of MSU fans support that sentiment. Support what Joe is doing and see how things work out. I hate losing but the man has been successful everywhere he has coached. I trust that he hates losing also and not just for himself but also for the players and fan base.

I agree and also applies to this message board but the perception is opposite because you have the same hand full of posters each starting 10 thread a day about the same negative thing. They package it different but it is started so they can shout down the people who disagree with them and want to remain positive. It is ridicules and down right stupid shit. Over and over and over and over, it is getting old. Oh yeah you be damned if you start a positive thread. There are thread I don't even open because you are going to hear the same old crap.

Dawg2003
09-18-2019, 02:17 PM
There are two concurrent issues. The first issue is the personnel issue, which can't be blamed on Moorhead. It's not his fault TS got injured or some key players decided to cheat. The second issue is the lack of discipline, effort, and preparation. Those issues are much more concerning because they reflect a culture issue within the program. They reflect a head coach that does not know how to hold his players responsible. Once that takes hold, you can't get rid of it.

gravedigger
09-18-2019, 02:20 PM

I feel the same way. It is pointless to look at a coach hired less than 2 years ago and act as if he will be fired for wins and losses when he makes a bowl in his first season. Absolutely pointless. It is not settling for mediocrity. In this particular division of the most competitive conference in football, it takes time. It took Mullen time. Sherrill waned in and out of mediocrity and into the pits his last three seasons. MSU is stuck next to a school who has no limit to what they will do to get a player and the top program in the country bar none. That doesnt count LSU, Auburn or Arkansas and we compete with all of them too.

yjnkdawg
09-18-2019, 02:20 PM

Great Post and overview. Rep given.

yjnkdawg
09-18-2019, 02:27 PM
I agree and also applies to this message board but the perception is opposite because you have the same hand full of posters each starting 10 thread a day about the same negative thing. They package it different but it is started so they can shout down the people who disagree with them and want to remain positive. It is ridicules and down right stupid shit. Over and over and over and over, it is getting old. Oh yeah you be damned if you start a positive thread. There are thread I don't even open because you are going to hear the same old crap.

I agree 100%. Very well stated and to the point. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jack Lambert again.

Dawgology
09-18-2019, 02:52 PM
I think his heart is in the right place and he is a good fella but his coaching philosophy doesn’t look like it’s going to work without incorporating NFL talent throughout the roster. It’s ok to like a guy but not be ok with the product on the field. I think we still have a small portion of the fanbase that can’t separate those two. No coach is greater than our program and that small handful of fans will want to hold on to a struggling coach out of fear of “something worse”. This is a valid fear but it is also an approach that is guaranteed to plateau the program and eventually cause it to slide backwards.

KOdawg1
09-18-2019, 02:58 PM
I think Joe is smart and probably a decent coach. I think Joe knows what he wants to do with our program. However, I just do not think he is the right fit for us. I really hope Im wrong and I hope he proves me wrong

ShotgunDawg
09-18-2019, 03:35 PM
He is using logic, and understands what wins in big time football now. Smashmouth ain't getting you nothing special. I love smashmouth football, bit it won't get it now. The MSU always runs to win is same ole State thinking. What Moorehead does is where football is headed. Is he the guy? School is still out. But what he does is what we need to be doing.

I don't disagree that passing is needed to win big in college football now, but passing offenses is not exclusive to Moorhead & still not the most important ingredient needed to be a good coach. What about Moorhead has made him your guy?

Johnson85
09-18-2019, 03:35 PM

And this is where I just disagree. I think I've seen enough to know that while he is intending and attempting to do the things we need to do, I just don't think he's the guy who can actually do them. I don't think we've seen enough to know that he's not the guy who can actually do the things needed. He certainly has had some shortcomings and has a done a poor job in some aspects, but I don' think it's time to give up on him yet.

I don't think he runs an organized, disciplined program, he clearly doesn't, and that's not something he can just fix overnight. But, I think it's something he could address with the right hire on his staff. I'm thinking an exhead coach that he could sort of turn into his CO as far as running practices and disciplinary stuff goes. IF he's going to basically be the offensive coordinator, he's got to lighten his load somewhere else, and that seems like a natural place to do it. Then he can focus on gameplanning and playcalling.

and I think his offense has fatal flaws that make it extremely hard to have lots of success against a well-coached defense. I'm concerned about this realizing how much talent PSU had at the skill positions. But we haven't really gotten to see it with reasonably appropriate players against comparably talented defenses. If TS is healthy this week and we don't move the ball well against UK at home, I will be much more concerned.

ShotgunDawg
09-18-2019, 03:39 PM
I don't think we've seen enough to know that he's not the guy who can actually do the things needed. He certainly has had some shortcomings and has a done a poor job in some aspects, but I don' think it's time to give up on him yet.

he clearly doesn't, and that's not something he can just fix overnight. But, I think it's something he could address with the right hire on his staff. I'm thinking an exhead coach that he could sort of turn into his CO as far as running practices and disciplinary stuff goes. IF he's going to basically be the offensive coordinator, he's got to lighten his load somewhere else, and that seems like a natural place to do it. Then he can focus on gameplanning and playcalling.

I'm concerned about this realizing how much talent PSU had at the skill positions. But we haven't really gotten to see it with reasonably appropriate players against comparably talented defenses. If TS is healthy this week and we don't move the ball well against UK at home, I will be much more concerned.

- I disagree that we haven't seen enough. We may not have seen enough to justify firing him, but I've seen plenty to know he doesn't have "it"
- I do agree that if we're going to stick this out then he needs a bad ass, type A, M'Fer of a S&C coach.

Gutter Cobreh
09-18-2019, 03:40 PM

Great thread Buckethead. Rep. given

Also, spreading some rep. to Jack for his astute observation. Sad that people get "shouted down" for having a different opinion on these boards and supporting our program and team.

chef dixon
09-18-2019, 04:05 PM
I like the concept of Moorhead, but our program has been so sloppy since he took over and its hard to overlook.

Jack Lambert
09-18-2019, 04:12 PM
I like the concept of Moorhead, but our program has been so sloppy since he took over and its hard to overlook.

I can totally agree and it is ok to point out bad things but to constantly do it over and over and over while calling for his firing after 16 games and looking for anyone who tries to be positive to argue with because they are just piss off at the coach is just plain crazy. Honestly it make the board unbearable.

Todd4State
09-18-2019, 04:18 PM

This is where I am. I see some things that are concerning regarding discipline and I was very upset that I drove all the way up there, paid a bunch of money, and sat in the heat and our team came out simply unprepared and didn't want it enough.

I think his heart is in the right place and he is a good fella but his coaching philosophy doesn?t look like it?s going to work without incorporating NFL talent throughout the roster. It?s ok to like a guy but not be ok with the product on the field. I think we still have a small portion of the fanbase that can?t separate those two. No coach is greater than our program and that small handful of fans will want to hold on to a struggling coach out of fear of ?something worse?. This is a valid fear but it is also an approach that is guaranteed to plateau the program and eventually cause it to slide backwards.

I don't think it takes NFL talent to do what we want to do. But we can't do it with gaps at position groups.

That's 100% about talent at OT- that's not about scheme. That's recruiting and having to stick a guy suited for RT at LT.

TrapGame
09-18-2019, 04:20 PM
I can totally agree and it is ok to point out bad things but to constantly do it over and over and over while calling for his firing after 16 games and looking for anyone who tries to be positive to argue with because they are just piss off at the coach is just plain crazy. Honestly it make the board unbearable.

This^^^^^

And quite frankly there are too many people trying to be complete a-holes about it. Yes, there are some problems that might be associated with Joe's coaching style but it's not time to burn the house down.

Captain Falcon
09-18-2019, 04:27 PM
I think the spot we are in now is fairly similar to the situation Mullen was in during the middle part of his tenure here. Our fans were sky high optimistic about our program after we went 9-4 in 2010 and dominated Michigan in the Gator Bowl. Started out in the Top 20 in 2011 and returned a lot of guys from the previous year. Opened the season with a dominating win against Memphis. Then the infamous game at Auburn happened, then our offense was totally shut down by a really good LSU team at home, and then it was an uphill battle just to get to 6-6 the rest of the year. I remember sitting at Legion Field while were down 3-0 at halftime to a bad UAB team and wondering what the heck happened to us. After 2010 it felt like we were on the verge of something special with Mullen, and I doubt many people would've told you we were about to toil in mediocrity for the next three years before we actually did anything meaningful again.

I realize that Mullen had built up equity from his first two years and Moorhead hasn't done that yet, but even with Mullen it wasn't a direct leap to where the program was when he left. We took a noticeable step forward for a couple of years, then we were in a lull for a few years, and then the Dak era happened. And I don't think many of us saw 2014 coming while we were struggling to beat Bowling Green and bad Arkansas and Kentucky teams during 2013.

To tie all that back to Moorhead, yes we are still waiting for the breakthrough. But the guy hasn't just wrecked our program, and he's dealing with a lot of things that are hurting this team that are out of his hands. If you're still mad about last year then that's fine, I get it. But the circumstances are a good bit different this year. The results need to come, probably starting against Kentucky assuming that Stevens and a lot of the suspended guys are playing. But I do think there are signs that a breakthrough is coming at some point. His best coaching performances last year were when his back was against the wall (Auburn and A&M most notably, but also the Egg Bowl given what happened in 2017 and the fact that it was on the road). We're playing a lot of young guys this year who have shown flashes of being really solid players. Shrader, while still harnessing his skills, looks like he has a certain "it" factor about him. I do think our defense has shown improvement from where it was against ULL. And we've seen flashes of this offense really being able to have success when Stevens is healthy.

If it ends up not working out with Joe, so be it, we'll go hire somebody else. He's at the very least maintaining the level of recruiting we were at with Mullen, and in some ways has exceeded it. So he's not ruining our future from a personnel standpoint. I guess I have just accepted that no matter what he's going to be here at least through the end of 2020, so for me I think the sample size still isn't big enough to know what kind of coach we have. His track record of success at other schools tells me he has to know what he's doing at least on some level. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now and would like to see at least a few more games play out before I write him off completely. We lost a close game to a Top 25 team when we were missing a ton of key personnel, that in itself isn't enough reason for me to just give up on the guy.

WinningIsRelentless
09-18-2019, 04:42 PM

I?ve never seen a more contradicting post in my life. At one point you are saying we don?t have 11 4 star guys to do 3 yards and a cloud. But you think you can do a big strike balance attack without that???? Get real.

Then you say we need to keep the defense guessing but yet we are allowing them to dictate what we run by the look they are showing. That?s allowing them to force plays on us and not the other way around.

99jc
09-18-2019, 04:51 PM

6 wins my ass that son of a bitch showed me he is a loser last season. Stick around and you will see he is a loser also.

Lord McBuckethead
09-18-2019, 05:12 PM
Sorry you see it that way. We cannot out Bama, Bama is all I am saying. You have to have studs to beat them, but as importantly you have to have a scheme that is tough for them to play against. Clemsons offense last year, UMs offense a few years ago, had an attacking style of play that mixed looks, runs, and down the field threat that they couldn't maintain being bad ass long enough and Clemson took atvantages of every little coverage mistake bama had. That comes from being multiple.

I hate......hate not running tempo when you get a first down. Why let your foot off the gas to check with the sideline. If Moorhead would just have the qb ready to call a play immediately with a set of plays and keep the defense on its heels, we could easily force the KSUs of the world into a world of hurt.

Johnson85
09-18-2019, 05:19 PM
I think the spot we are in now is fairly similar to the situation Mullen was in during the middle part of his tenure here. Our fans were sky high optimistic about our program after we went 9-4 in 2010 and dominated Michigan in the Gator Bowl. Started out in the Top 20 in 2011 and returned a lot of guys from the previous year. Opened the season with a dominating win against Memphis. Then the infamous game at Auburn happened, then our offense was totally shut down by a really good LSU team at home, and then it was an uphill battle just to get to 6-6 the rest of the year. I remember sitting at Legion Field while were down 3-0 at halftime to a bad UAB team and wondering what the heck happened to us. After 2010 it felt like we were on the verge of something special with Mullen, and I doubt many people would've told you we were about to toil in mediocrity for the next three years before we actually did anything meaningful again.

I realize that Mullen had built up equity from his first two years and Moorhead hasn't done that yet, but even with Mullen it wasn't a direct leap to where the program was when he left. We took a noticeable step forward for a couple of years, then we were in a lull for a few years, and then the Dak era happened. And I don't think many of us saw 2014 coming while we were struggling to beat Bowling Green and bad Arkansas and Kentucky teams during 2013.

To tie all that back to Moorhead, yes we are still waiting for the breakthrough. But the guy hasn't just wrecked our program, and he's dealing with a lot of things that are hurting this team that are out of his hands. If you're still mad about last year then that's fine, I get it. But the circumstances are a good bit different this year. The results need to come, probably starting against Kentucky assuming that Stevens and a lot of the suspended guys are playing. But I do think there are signs that a breakthrough is coming at some point. His best coaching performances last year were when his back was against the wall (Auburn and A&M most notably, but also the Egg Bowl given what happened in 2017 and the fact that it was on the road). We're playing a lot of young guys this year who have shown flashes of being really solid players. Shrader, while still harnessing his skills, looks like he has a certain "it" factor about him. I do think our defense has shown improvement from where it was against ULL. And we've seen flashes of this offense really being able to have success when Stevens is healthy.

If it ends up not working out with Joe, so be it, we'll go hire somebody else. He's at the very least maintaining the level of recruiting we were at with Mullen, and in some ways has exceeded it. So he's not ruining our future from a personnel standpoint. I guess I have just accepted that no matter what he's going to be here at least through the end of 2020, so for me I think the sample size still isn't big enough to know what kind of coach we have. His track record of success at other schools tells me he has to know what he's doing at least on some level. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now and would like to see at least a few more games play out before I write him off completely. We lost a close game to a Top 25 team when we were missing a ton of key personnel, that in itself isn't enough reason for me to just give up on the guy.

This is the thing that seems to be getting lost with people. I get that it's pretty clear we didn't hire the next saban or Meyer. There are things showing up that are indicative of a coaching staff that doesn't take care of the little things. But the fact that we don't have the next Saban or Meyer is not a reason to be despondent. Mullen is a very good coach and he has some pretty significant flaws, they're just on the recruiting side and balancing discipline with getting talent on the field. Moorhead looks like he might be opposite in several respects. Not as good at taking care of the little things, but he has already figured out the not-rocket science of recruiting in a manner that doesn't leave massive holes at particular position groups. If Moorhead (or his staff) doesn't start doing a better job at the little things, then I'm not sure his recruiting is enough of a step up to make up for that fact, and we'll probably have problems. But it's not like he's completely inept out there. He does some things good nad some things not so good, and we won't really know how he's going to be until we see how much he adjusts (either his approach or through staff changes) to address his shortcomings.

MrKotter
09-18-2019, 05:28 PM

This is what I do not understand. Everybody wants to point to suspensions, youth, injuries, etc.....but none of that has anything to do with how unorganized we look on offense. Half the time we look like we just drew some crap in the dirt. This is the start of year two. It should not look this ridiculous. I gave the dude last year to get his feet wet and learn his team and league. I am not sure he learned a damn thing. Neither side has any sense of urgency and a very lackadaisical way about them.

R2Dawg
09-18-2019, 06:07 PM
I think his heart is in the right place and he is a good fella but his coaching philosophy doesn?t look like it?s going to work without incorporating NFL talent throughout the roster. It?s ok to like a guy but not be ok with the product on the field. I think we still have a small portion of the fanbase that can?t separate those two. No coach is greater than our program and that small handful of fans will want to hold on to a struggling coach out of fear of ?something worse?. This is a valid fear but it is also an approach that is guaranteed to plateau the program and eventually cause it to slide backwards.

Correct. That is the biggest problem with the fanbase disagreements. All are fans to some degree but some fans can't understand we are all hoping our coach and teams succeeds. Difference is some fans can do that while at the same time discern what is going on the field or court. I hope Joe figures it out because the alternative means we are in a deep hole that will take years to get out. I still support Joe but I am seriously concerned now after 16 games. We ain't winning the SEC by some things that are going on now either. You have to be physical on LOS, run ball and stop the run. The spread hasn't changed any of that. If we lose that and gain fun and gun O, we won't win nothing.

R2Dawg
09-18-2019, 06:11 PM
Sorry you see it that way. We cannot out Bama, Bama is all I am saying. You have to have studs to beat them, but as importantly you have to have a scheme that is tough for them to play against. Clemsons offense last year, UMs offense a few years ago, had an attacking style of play that mixed looks, runs, and down the field threat that they couldn't maintain being bad ass long enough and Clemson took atvantages of every little coverage mistake bama had. That comes from being multiple.

I hate......hate not running tempo when you get a first down. Why let your foot off the gas to check with the sideline. If Moorhead would just have the qb ready to call a play immediately with a set of plays and keep the defense on its heels, we could easily force the KSUs of the world into a world of hurt.

The check with me stuff really drives me crazy. It takes away our advantage when we don't have any to give up.

dawgday166
09-18-2019, 06:47 PM
I've said I'm waiting to see but I don't think he'll make it. I think he needs elite talent across the skill positions. Hope I'm wrong tho.

He threw away last year tho. We had the team to compete regardless of what anyone says. And he shafted Aeris and Fitz too IMO. I think we'll find that out over next 2 or 3 years. Hope I'm wrong on this.

On the flip side, Shoop is truly playing some young players and is undermanned on that side somewhat. They ain't doing too bad for playing true freshmen in defensive backfield. Don't want to lose Shoop even if Joe goes.

gravedigger
09-18-2019, 07:05 PM

I have agreed with you some and disagreed with you some, but after that message you give me faith that this fanbase isnt as hopeless as I previously believed.

Somewhere along the line, the anonymity of a message board username has emboldened perfectly rational people into mouth breathing idiots. People who screamed their doubt in a team was only a sign of being a realist now are not in the same area code with reality when it comes to a loss on the schedule. It has more in common with Dustin Hoffman in rainman than it does simple fandom. Obnoxious certainty has somehow become a valid replacement for logical thought. Narcissism has replaced eloquence.

I enjoy MSU sports and always have no matter the level of success because it was my team and in my blood. It never had a thing to do with whether the coaches or players were who I preferred.

But modern message board fans seem to have some conditional idea of their loyalty.

I don?t need all positive. I just need critical thought to have some.......actual thought behind it.

That is probably asking a bit much.

MedDawg
09-18-2019, 07:29 PM
6 wins my ass that son of a bitch showed me he is a loser last season. Stick around and you will see he is a loser also.

17ing ridiculous. He lost to teams ranked #2, #6, #7, #12, and #25, and only one of those was in Starkville. Four Top 12 losses. Just two caught passes and he beats two of those.

Moorhead beat a team that finished #16. How many of those did Mullen have in 9 years?

Captain Falcon
09-18-2019, 07:41 PM
17ing ridiculous. He lost to teams ranked #2, #6, #7, #12, and #25, and only one of those was in Starkville. Four Top 12 losses. Just two caught passes and he beats two of those.

Moorhead beat a team that finished #16. How many of those did Mullen have in 9 years?

To answer your question, I think LSU in 2017 was Mullen?s best win based on final AP Poll finish, and they were 18. I know the knock on him for years was zero wins against teams that finished in the Top 25. I can only come up with two in nine years: Auburn in 2014, LSU in 2017. Both of those teams finished ranked lower than Texas A&M did in 2018.

Coach007
09-18-2019, 08:01 PM

Considering Bama and Saban has abandoned it...... YEP!

pilldawg
09-18-2019, 08:41 PM
Considering Bama and Saban has abandoned it...... YEP!

And not understand the vision as a fan base. I bet the Clemson fanbase was at a fever pitch of angst when their former WR coach that was named Head coach lost to South Carolina 5 years in a row. Can you imagine losing 5 straight to Ole Miss and keeping the MSU coach. Clemson believed in the vision, stuck with their Head Coach and now look at them. Every situation is different, but as long as Keenum and Cohen believe in the vision, we as fans need to back them. Moorhead is still building and getting the right players for his offense. He still doesn?t have his receivers and skill positions in the fold. This may take another year or two to really start to take shape.

gravedigger
09-18-2019, 08:47 PM

And with every post on this board and others you reaffirm your lack of maturity. Perhaps no other poster more consistently illustrates it. Now go finish your homework.

Commercecomet24
09-18-2019, 11:29 PM
- I disagree that we haven't seen enough. We may not have seen enough to justify firing him, but I've seen plenty to know he doesn't have "it"
- I do agree that if we're going to stick this out then he needs a bad ass, type A, M'Fer of a S&C coach.

Are you seeing joe doesn't have "it" with the same eyes you saw Jake Fromm with when he was a freshman and argued with me that he would never be successful because he didn't have enough arm strength? You were pretty wrong about Jake. You don't have all the answers. Time will tell, Joe may or may not be the man but let's just give him a little more time. The same things y'all are saying about Joe you said about Mullen.

Commercecomet24
09-18-2019, 11:31 PM

Great post! Rep given!

vindastra
09-19-2019, 12:42 AM
And not understand the vision as a fan base. I bet the Clemson fanbase was at a fever pitch of angst when their former WR coach that was named Head coach lost to South Carolina 5 years in a row. Can you imagine losing 5 straight to Ole Miss and keeping the MSU coach. Clemson believed in the vision, stuck with their Head Coach and now look at them. Every situation is different, but as long as Keenum and Cohen believe in the vision, we as fans need to back them. Moorhead is still building and getting the right players for his offense. He still doesn?t have his receivers and skill positions in the fold. This may take another year or two to really start to take shape.

Hear! Hear!

Some of the teeth gnashing is ridiculous - either we did not run enough or we did not smash into the other team. Look, Fournette could not smash through that Bama defence whereas Freeze yeeted his way to victories over Bama.

The need of the hour is to fill in all the gaps with better recruiting (already happening) and have a balanced team year in and year out. By year 4, most likely, this offense will be humming. Our existing defensive personnel can still wreck havoc - on the field like last year or off the field like this year.

Lord McBuckethead
09-19-2019, 01:32 AM
Wonder what it would be like if we could all pull in the same direction, even after a loss?

Todd4State
09-19-2019, 01:47 AM

Very good post. We have too many people going off the rails about anything that goes wrong and tearing our program apart and it's utterly ridiculous. Especially after only three weeks of football. But to add I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt more because Stevens was hurt than the suspensions. Although sure- the suspensions may have impacted us on special teams some.

This is what I do not understand. Everybody wants to point to suspensions, youth, injuries, etc.....but none of that has anything to do with how unorganized we look on offense. Half the time we look like we just drew some crap in the dirt. This is the start of year two. It should not look this ridiculous. I gave the dude last year to get his feet wet and learn his team and league. I am not sure he learned a damn thing. Neither side has any sense of urgency and a very lackadaisical way about them.

When Stevens is in the game we don't look disorganized. When Shrader is in- sure. But that's mostly because he's a true freshman.

That's the thing. I think a lot of the more optimistic people get the vision. Will it work ultimately? I don't know yet. But if it doesn't I sincerely hope we don't overcorrect like MSU football/sports tends to do and goes back to ground and pound and basically back right where we started.

And in typical MSU overcorrection fashion we have too many fans that don't want to hear "give it some time" or "stop blaming the past coaches for recruiting". But then the reality is yeah- those are and were issues that have haunted us not just the past two year but during Dan's time as well.

Todd4State
09-19-2019, 01:52 AM
Wonder what it would be like if we could all pull in the same direction, even after a loss?

And give up our Internet rep?**

According to my Grandfather- it hasn't really happened for us since the 40's. Which is what killed us for decades. Other than maybe the first 2-3 years of Dan's reign and maybe 2014.

I think that's a somewhat separate issue- but I think that's where MSU's marketing and such comes into play. I feel like it's been very minimal compared to what Dan got especially when Byrne was here. Cohen needs to step that up in a major way.

RougeDawg
09-19-2019, 02:26 AM

Let me simplify it. A high school defensive coordinator who plays man press coverage can stop his offense. SloMos offense requires timing and separation. Big10 team defenses are a joke, built for cold weather football. Colder weather slows down the game speed. This bullshit offense does not work here. We have 16 games of evidence. One game stands out as an outlier, where we did pretty much what we wanted offensively and beat a team with more talent. Until the data set and results shift, do not expect anything different.

timotheus
09-19-2019, 06:32 AM
this

gravedigger
09-19-2019, 08:15 AM
And give up our Internet rep?**

Nice.

smootness
09-19-2019, 08:25 AM
he clearly doesn't, and that's not something he can just fix overnight. But, I think it's something he could address with the right hire on his staff. I'm thinking an exhead coach that he could sort of turn into his CO as far as running practices and disciplinary stuff goes. IF he's going to basically be the offensive coordinator, he's got to lighten his load somewhere else, and that seems like a natural place to do it. Then he can focus on gameplanning and playcalling.

You're basically asking him to become solely the OC and bring in someone else to run the program. That just doesn't work. The head coach has to be the guy setting the tone and expectations, and everyone takes their cues from him. If he isn't capable of doing these things, he simply isn't a good fit as head coach. If he can correct them, great...but that isn't easy to do.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2019, 08:52 AM
Are you seeing joe doesn't have "it" with the same eyes you saw Jake Fromm with when he was a freshman and argued with me that he would never be successful because he didn't have enough arm strength? You were pretty wrong about Jake. You don't have all the answers. Time will tell, Joe may or may not be the man but let's just give him a little more time. The same things y'all are saying about Joe you said about Mullen.

You could play QB for UGA right now.

Not saying Fromm isn't solid, but let's wait & see if he's any good in the NFL before saying I was wrong

MedDawg
09-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Let me simplify it. A high school defensive coordinator who plays man press coverage can stop his offense. SloMos offense requires timing and separation. Big10 team defenses are a joke, built for cold weather football. Colder weather slows down the game speed. This bullshit offense does not work here. We have 16 games of evidence. One game stands out as an outlier, where we did pretty much what we wanted offensively and beat a team with more talent. Until the data set and results shift, do not expect anything different.

He's getting separation. Got it last year, too. Just need a QB who can see and throw to receivers open 20-30 yards downfield and a normal amount of pass blocking to give him time and receivers to not drop passes.

Tbonewannabe
09-19-2019, 10:20 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Commercecomet24 again.

Tbonewannabe
09-19-2019, 10:27 AM

Isn't that the case for any offense? If you can play man press coverage and not worry about the DB getting beat then you load the box and stop every offense. That was the entire premise for Joe Lee Dunn's defense. All passing games require timing and separation. Now I have said that if Joe's QB is required to make a lot of different reads then that might not work against the speed of a good to great SEC defense. I am going to give him this year to prove otherwise. Hopefully Tommy is healthy for the AU, LSU, A&M, and Bama games. I think that will give us the best measure of what the offense requires and can do in the SEC. If we have Shrader against those teams then any SEC offense with a freshman QB has one hand tied behind their back.

Commercecomet24
09-19-2019, 10:32 AM
You could play QB for UGA right now.

Not saying Fromm isn't solid, but let's wait & see if he's any good in the NFL before saying I was wrong

You just can't admit when you're wrong can you? Fromm is gonna be a first round pick. Obviously there are people who know way more than you that know he has the arm strength to be an nfl qb. You're argument was he didn't have the arm strength. You're dead wrong he does have the arm strength just like I said. Just like you don't know if Joe has "it" or not that's just a guess by you. You're becoming more and more like 34.

TrapGame
09-19-2019, 10:35 AM
You just can't admit when you're wrong can you? Fromm is gonna be a first round pick. Obviously there are people who know way more than you that know he has the arm strength to be an nfl qb. You're argument was he didn't have the arm strength. You're dead wrong he does have the arm strength just like I said. Just like you don't know if Joe has "it" or not that's just a guess by you. You're becoming more and more like 34.

Have some rep.

Jack Lambert
09-19-2019, 10:45 AM

I can't give reps to anyone. I guess I have given too many for the time period.

BB30
09-19-2019, 10:57 AM

Shoot, you didn't know that all you need is the ability to watch a HUDL video/3 games and read a coaching QBs for Dummies book to know more than college recruiters and NFL scouts? How dare you call out Shotgun.**

BB30
09-19-2019, 11:11 AM

Well when you have the WR talent that we do defenses can get away with playing a lot of man. I don't know if you thought that the WR room would dramatically improve immediately just because we hired a coach that throws the ball downfield more than in years past or what? We all knew when he was hired that he ran a pretty different system from what we were previously doing under Mullen and most everyone was excited about it without thinking about the personnel issues we would have to overcome on offense. Basically having unrealistic expectations of our talent level at the skill positions namely WR which had been drastically under recruited for years along with having several misses on top end talent at that position. It is absolutely no surprise that we have struggled on offense with the scheme that we are running and the lack of talent at some key positions.

Maverick
09-19-2019, 11:42 AM
Can some of you titty babies not complain for one dang second? Geeze.... You don't have to be happy with the performance, I'm sure most people are not. Most of you saw a down year anyway but for whatever reason at some point you started thinking we were better than we are. Then the suspensions happened which only makes it worse and some of you talked about how that was going to hurt but now we should win the same amount anyway or you are off the Jomo train. So which is it?? Make up your mind.... Also, that "I told you so crowd" just go on, you're just waiting on something bad to happen so you can revel in it.

Jomo's offense allows the defense to dictate what we do bla bla bla, or is it that Jomo's offense is trying to take what the dang defense is giving us? Let's throw the ball more, Jomo is going to be a great change from Mullen running it. Wait he doesn't have his guys yet.... RTGDFB, I hate Jomo he throws it and won't run it. Oh we run it on every play now we need to throw it more.... REALLY???? Do y'all ever listen to yourselves?? You run the ball more with a hurt QB and a freshman QB.... wow that makes zero sense....

We have tons of kids suspended, freshman playing that are making mistakes, and a QB that got hurt who up until this point many of you have been fairly surprised by am I right? How many teams perform at a peak level when their starting QB comes out? I'd imagine not too many and we already knew we didn't have much depth there since KT has an upper body issue and Mayden appears to be in that suspension list.

A freshman QB made some big plays and also made some bone head plays, the sky is falling oh no. Who would have ever thought that would have happened?? Ridiculous!

The coach is recruiting good, just shut up and see what happens. If it doesn't work it's not the end of the world is it? God has blessed you, the sun came up today the same as it did tomorrow. The coach isn't as bad as many of you think and he's also not as good as many of us hoped, that's typical. He's got the same learning curve to go through that Mullen did, patience grasshopper haha. It's pretty obvious that things run smoother with Tommy vs Fitz, give the guy some time to get his guys including his WR's just like Mullen had to do.

Commercecomet24
09-19-2019, 02:51 PM
Can some of you titty babies not complain for one dang second? Geeze.... You don't have to be happy with the performance, I'm sure most people are not. Most of you saw a down year anyway but for whatever reason at some point you started thinking we were better than we are. Then the suspensions happened which only makes it worse and some of you talked about how that was going to hurt but now we should win the same amount anyway or you are off the Jomo train. So which is it?? Make up your mind.... Also, that "I told you so crowd" just go on, you're just waiting on something bad to happen so you can revel in it.

Jomo's offense allows the defense to dictate what we do bla bla bla, or is it that Jomo's offense is trying to take what the dang defense is giving us? Let's throw the ball more, Jomo is going to be a great change from Mullen running it. Wait he doesn't have his guys yet.... RTGDFB, I hate Jomo he throws it and won't run it. Oh we run it on every play now we need to throw it more.... REALLY???? Do y'all ever listen to yourselves?? You run the ball more with a hurt QB and a freshman QB.... wow that makes zero sense....

We have tons of kids suspended, freshman playing that are making mistakes, and a QB that got hurt who up until this point many of you have been fairly surprised by am I right? How many teams perform at a peak level when their starting QB comes out? I'd imagine not too many and we already knew we didn't have much depth there since KT has an upper body issue and Mayden appears to be in that suspension list.

A freshman QB made some big plays and also made some bone head plays, the sky is falling oh no. Who would have ever thought that would have happened?? Ridiculous!

The coach is recruiting good, just shut up and see what happens. If it doesn't work it's not the end of the world is it? God has blessed you, the sun came up today the same as it did tomorrow. The coach isn't as bad as many of you think and he's also not as good as many of us hoped, that's typical. He's got the same learning curve to go through that Mullen did, patience grasshopper haha. It's pretty obvious that things run smoother with Tommy vs Fitz, give the guy some time to get his guys including his WR's just like Mullen had to do.

Wow! This is awesome! Post more please! Rep given!

Jack Lambert
09-19-2019, 03:20 PM

Just for the record I likes titties.

Tbonewannabe
09-19-2019, 04:36 PM
Just for the record I likes titties.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jack Lambert again.

Cheers