PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Personnel? Who you got?

Political Hack
10-26-2013, 10:20 AM
I think there are a few players that shouldn't be coming off the field right now.

They are: BMac, P Smith, Wells, Redmond, and Love. Those five give us a solid base and we could rotate the rest to keep them fresh.

What players on D do you think should be getting more snaps. (rather than this rotate by drive stuff we're doing)???

Op4isabitch
10-26-2013, 10:22 AM
I like Benny Brown and of course CJ out of the young guys.

SignalToNoise
10-26-2013, 10:22 AM
That's a good list, but no Chris Jones? He lack the conditioning play every series?

Also I'll add Market in place of Whitley.

FlabLoser
10-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Whitley needs to be suspended for throwing punches and blowing off the coach. I'd say one game for each of those - and then 2nd team duty after that.

Release The Quay. Put him in with Chris Jones. On 3rd down, rush Preston Smith, Chris Jones, Quay Evans, and 1-2 LBs from random places. Straight up recess.

HoopsDawg
10-26-2013, 10:29 AM
I think there are a few players that shouldn't be coming off the field right now.

They are: BMac, P Smith, Wells, Redmond, and Love. Those five give us a solid base and we could rotate the rest to keep them fresh.

What players on D do you think should be getting more snaps. (rather than this rotate by drive stuff we're doing)???

I agree with your list. Redmond and Love never come off the field if I'm the Coach.

And Chris Jones has to tap his helmet before I take him out.

chef dixon
10-26-2013, 10:29 AM
I've wanted Richie Brown out there a lot ever since he DDT'd Nick Marshall.

Political Hack
10-26-2013, 10:47 AM
I didn't intend to exclude CJ. I just lumped the DTs together when thinking about it and figure they'll all need to rotate.

however, it wasn't my intention to say these guys shouldn't ever come off the field, but they should definitely being playing more than 50% of the snaps and rotating with their counterparts. And with that in mind, forgetting CJ is definitely a swing and a miss on my part...

So now we've got:
DE: P Smith
DE/DT: CJ
MLB: BMac
OLB: Wells
Cb: Love
Cb: Remond*

Honorable Mentions:
OLB: Riche B.
DT: Quay
OLB: Bennie

That's 8 spots since we can only field 3 LBs.

HereComesTheSpiral
10-26-2013, 10:52 AM
I've been impressed with Ryan Brown. Maybe he should take over for Autrey.

hacker
10-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Jay Hughes if we're talking personnel next year

bulldawg28
10-26-2013, 10:57 AM
I didn't intend to exclude CJ. I just lumped the DTs together when thinking about it and figure they'll all need to rotate.

however, it wasn't my intention to say these guys shouldn't ever come off the field, but they should definitely being playing more than 50% of the snaps and rotating with their counterparts. And with that in mind, forgetting CJ is definitely a swing and a miss on my part...

So now we've got:
DE: P Smith
DE/DT: CJ
MLB: BMac
OLB: Wells
Cb: Love
Cb: Remond*

Honorable Mentions:
OLB: Riche B.
DT: Quay
OLB: Bennie

That's 8 spots since we can only field 3 LBs.

I love this list. I'd automatically put Redmond over any shot WR and take out a LB. Safties haven't produced with the exception of Market saving the game.

Political Hack
10-26-2013, 11:07 AM
add Hughes and Brown and all we're missing is one safety. Point being all of our dominant defensive players are coming back next year. We've got a chance to have a very aggressive defense next year with lock down corners. I think it's going to bring some excitement.

the only thing is like to see more of for the rest of the year is + turnover ratio. with a pressure D, it's risk/reward and some of those rewards should include turnovers. We almost beat the #11 team in the country in their house because we won the turnover battle. If we can do that and continue to develop the power run game, we're going to have a shot at a 10-wn season next year.

Op4isabitch
10-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Just a question about J Cox:

I haven't focused on him much but what is the issue with him? Is he out of position or is he just not as good as advertised?

Political Hack
10-26-2013, 11:23 AM
I think he's coming along. he's talented. just a new position, new defense, etc... I hope we move him to FS next year. I think he or Will one should play that spot so we can have a ball hawking play maker in the middle of the field.

Op4isabitch
10-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Good to hear, I was hoping it was something along those lines. I figured he had plenty of potential, Saban doesn't often miss on evaluating talent

msstate7
10-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Since lb's are better than our dl, I'd run 3-4 with CJ in the middle. Bring one of the browns in as 4th lb or go 3-3-5 with hybrid lb/s. I feel Whitley could have some value as lb/s

msstate7
10-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Just a question about J Cox:

I haven't focused on him much but what is the issue with him? Is he out of position or is he just not as good as advertised?

This is about the time juco's start coming on. Cox should be a safety or rover, not cb IMO

CadaverDawg
10-26-2013, 11:41 AM
I know Quay has his issues, and Nick James as well....but if coaching isn't getting through to them, I would try a Different approach just to see if it motivates them.

First off, I would tell Quay that we were going to start from scratch with him, and that it starts against South Carolina. Tell him we are going to start him and CJ in the middle, and Preston and Denico on the he ends, and that his future playing time and status on this team we be determined on how much hell he raises in the South Carolina backfield.

I would tell Nick James the same thing, even if you wait until next season to do it. I'm just worried James won't stick around til next year.

These guys obviously aren't motivated by ass chewings and no playing time. They strive on making plays, so damn it, let's quit wasting them and at least give them a chance at having a start, and a guarantee that if they raise hell they will keep playing.

I guarantee-damn-tee you that for any other team in the SEC West...Quay is starting right now. Regardless of what issues he has. We have got to quit being so damn strict and start playing our best guys. We are the most self policing mother ****ers on the planet. It's not like what we're doing is lighting the World on fire, so what the hell could it hurt?

Homedawg
10-26-2013, 11:49 AM
I know Quay has his issues, and Nick James as well....but if coaching isn't getting through to them, I would try a Different approach just to see if it motivates them.

First off, I would tell Quay that we were going to start from scratch with him, and that it starts against South Carolina. Tell him we are going to start him and CJ in the middle, and Preston and Denico on the he ends, and that his future playing time and status on this team we be determined on how much hell he raises in the South Carolina backfield.

I would tell Nick James the same thing, even if you wait until next season to do it. I'm just worried James won't stick around til next year.

These guys obviously aren't motivated by ass chewings and no playing time. They strive on making plays, so damn it, let's quit wasting them and at least give them a chance at having a start, and a guarantee that if they raise hell they will keep playing.

I guarantee-damn-tee you that for any other team in the SEC West...Quay is starting right now. Regardless of what issues he has. We have got to quit being so damn strict and start playing our best guys. We are the most self policing mother ****ers on the planet. It's not like what we're doing is lighting the World on fire, so what the hell could it hurt?

It will be about the tenth time quay has started from scratch then. As far as him being our best guy, prove it on the field. Only reason everyone is defending him is because he was a five star guy. At this point he's played like a two star and acted like a one.

chef dixon
10-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Not gonna lie though, it hurt to watch Mckinney whiff that tackle that broke for the TD. Kinda like Bama threw the bomb on Banks last year.

CadaverDawg
10-26-2013, 11:59 AM
It will be about the tenth time quay has started from scratch then. As far as him being our best guy, prove it on the field. Only reason everyone is defending him is because he was a five star guy. At this point he's played like a two star and acted like a one.

He definitely has not gotten many chances on the field. Now I agree that he acts like a 1 star, but I disagree that he plays like a 2 star. Every time he is in the game, he causes disruption. That's why I said, put his ass in there and tell him that his playing time and status on the team will be determined on how he plays THAT DAY. I guarantee you that has not been tried.

You can't just stick him out there for 5-10 garbage time snaps against Troy and expect a 5 star to be motivated. I know that is special treatment and babying....but I don't give a damn. We are MSU...we don't have 5 stars knocking on our door, so find a way to get them on the field. It's the coaches job to motivate them, so get it done. And again, it's not like we're challenging for a BCS bowl, so what's it going to hurt to see if more important snaps will motivate the big bastard

Political Hack
10-26-2013, 12:16 PM
the players ran wild with Jackie and played wild with Jackie. 99' was something special that I'm not sure we'll ever see again... but we have the personnel to make it happen next year if we can just get them to play.

Schultzy
10-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Not gonna lie though, it hurt to watch Mckinney whiff that tackle that broke for the TD. Kinda like Bama threw the bomb on Banks last year.

If Nickoe doesn't overplay it we have a safety valve back there. I'm tired of our safety being out of position causing us to give up long touchdowns unnecessarily.
If Market were in the game on that play it's only an eight yard gain.

Bo Darville
10-26-2013, 01:05 PM
If Nickoe doesn't overplay it we have a safety valve back there. I'm tired of our safety being out of position causing us to give up long touchdowns unnecessarily.
If Market were in the game on that play it's only an eight yard gain.

Nickoe forgets that the position is called a SAFETY. You are the last line of defense. You need sure tackling over the big hit. In the last drive of the game, Market didn't go for the big hit. He went for the sure tackle. Wrap up, hold on, and get him to the ground.

msstate7
10-26-2013, 01:30 PM
Nickoe forgets that the position is called a SAFETY. You are the last line of defense. You need sure tackling over the big hit. In the last drive of the game, Market didn't go for the big hit. He went for the sure tackle. Wrap up, hold on, and get him to the ground.

Why isn't Whitley ss? He seems better fit for play at the line