PDA

View Full Version : A look into recruiting last 5 yrs and players - somewhat long but bulleted kinda

I seen it dawg
09-16-2019, 02:22 PM
Last 3 Mullen classes and first 2 (first he held together and signed 2nd all his)Moorhead. These listed are guys that are rostered currently (not suspended). This is just me taking it and looking at it from what I observe so I may miss something. And by god if I do I know i will be helped to be made aware of it.

I am not in the absolute total stroke meltdown a lot of fans seem to be, or the ones showing their faces on here and other places. And this is no way an indicator of me not being upset we just lost a game. It also doesn't mean I don't have questions about things in our program. It means I had a thought about who we have on the field through 3 games and what impact it is having and where they come from class-wise. I would hope this would be a constructive look and thought provoking thread even though that's extremely optimistic and most likely futile.

I am listing guys that PLAY and then are IMPACTFUL in my opinion as to their skill level/production currently. The rest are guys that just play in rotations, aren't really good but play, should be special team guys but play.

2015 RSr
Lewis, Dear, Adams, Gibson, Washington, D.Thomas, Smitherman, Green, Story, Dontae Jones
Impactful: D.Williams maybe Smitherman, Adams

2016 Sr-RJr (Simmons class)
Kobe Jones, Spencer, Reese, Morgan, K. Charles, Dantzler, Eiland, Parker, Mitchell, Thompson
Impactful: Dantzler, Thompson, Reese, Mitchell

2017 Jr-RSo (Sweat,Abrams Juco class)
Cole, Rivers, Champion, Landrews, Autry, Phillips (all redshirted), Hill, A.Williams, T.Williams, James Jackson, Day
Impactful: Cole, Rivers, Hill, Day

2018 So-RFr
Guidry, Crumedy, Lovett, Brule, Spivey, Cam Young, Cam Gardner, Kilby-Lane
Impactful: Lovett

2019 FR, Juco 1st yr
Cross, Schrader, Pickering, Russell, Jarrian Jones, Weatherspoon, Emerson
Impact: you could consider all impact as they are true Fr playing in SEC.

1st Year Juco
Sharpe, Payton
Impactful: none

Grad Transfer
Zuber, Stevens
Impactful: Stevens

50 guys signed last 5 years that have played this season. 11 (maybe 13 impactful) players before true freshman and that number includes a punter.

basedog
09-16-2019, 02:32 PM
The naysayers have not a clue, thanks for the info as I was informed not to long ago about Mullen's so called impact players, he inherited a much better group of players at Florida than what he left Joe.

Game plan was bad Saturday but we lack speed and have for a while. It's just hard to get defenses on there heels when you don't have a homerun guy on the outside.

Ari Gold
09-16-2019, 02:52 PM
Excellent post.
Agree with the take Joe he may or may not be the answer
Look at the lack of upperclassmen overall and at certain spots. It’s incredible
We bookended Hill with ZERO RBs how does that happen
We have 3 maybe 4 upperclassmen DL .. that’s not going to win games in the SEC
The suspensions are hurting more than I thought and the injuries on top of that are killer
And look at all the redshirt freshman and true freshman having to play... where are the red shirt sophomores and juniors. ??

Also how lucky are we looking back now that Rivers and Cole HAD to redshirt 2 years ago
Not to mention red shirting Autry , Champion, Phillips, and Landrews.

This 2020 class will be very juco heavy as well and it has to be . We need help at some spots immediately. But at least it has some talented DL ahead of it and hopefully some behind it .. also I like the high school kids we have committed ..I think There are at least 4 or 5 high school guys that can play and have a good impact very early in their career
Signing 2 RBs this class is a must and it looks like we have 2 good ones .

We do have some guys that are NFL talent on the roster and we will have some guys names called come April
But the roster as a whole wasn’t left in good shape.. and I will be this first to admit I was 100% wrong on Guidry.. I thought the kid would be a true SEC impact WR and NFL prospect.

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2019, 03:05 PM
Excellent post.
The suspensions are hurting more than I thought and the injuries on top of that are killer
And look at all the redshirt freshman and true freshman having to play... where are the red shirt sophomores and juniors. ??

Also how lucky are we looking back now that Rivers and Cole HAD to redshirt 2 years ago

This 2020 class will be very juco heavy as well and it has to be . We need help at some spots immediately. But at least it has some talented DL ahead of it and hopefully some behind it .. also I like the high school kids we have committed ..I think There are at least 4 or 5 high school guys that can play and have a good impact very early in their career

We do have some guys that are NFL talent on the roster and we will have some guys names called come April
But the roster as a whole wasn’t left in good shape.. and I will be this first to admit I was 100% wrong on Guidry.. I thought the kid would be a true SEC impact WR and NFL prospect.

This is what I was getting to in my lengthy post in another thread - While Mullen left the program better then he found it, there was some rot from his general not giving as shit about the long term. I really believe now that if Dan hadn't landed at UF or UT, he would have done something like jump to OC in Dallas just to get out of Starkville. The man was done after 2015 - and it shows in I Seen It's run down.

Commercecomet24
09-16-2019, 03:11 PM
Great post, isid! While we have some very talented individual players the holes in the roster and the imbalance at certain positions hurts our ability to be a complete team

TrapGame
09-16-2019, 03:14 PM
Awful quiet in this thread.

(Bravo ISID)

I seen it dawg
09-16-2019, 03:16 PM
Takes awhile for a lot to read much less comprehend that long of a post

1bigdawg
09-16-2019, 03:25 PM
Excellent post.

"Where are the red shirt sophomores and juniors. ??" We only have 8 scholarship sophmores on our roster! Two or three of those may be suspended for 8 games. The Junior class does not have many contributors except at the top. Suspensions cost us a lot of depth.

A lot of people were wrong on Guidry. A couple of people pointed to his production at Hinds and LSU's backing off, but most were excited. He is a great talent who just does not play hard.

Coach007
09-16-2019, 03:30 PM
I have faith in the staff at this point to put together a list of needs and make it happen.

We have 5 freshmen DTs that are a result of Moorhead and Shoop seeing the hole left. With bringing in this class (speaking of the DL) we could be great on defense for the next 2 yars and I believe the offense is set.

Obviously, there are some things we will run into. Those are things MOST teams go through (injuries, transfers). Over all, we are in good hands (yes, my opinion)

dantheman4248
09-16-2019, 03:58 PM
Good post. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to I seen it dawg again.

Mullen left a front-loaded 2018 roster. Moorhead / Fitz didn’t mesh and the offense was botched. Still produced the equivalent of the best Mullen ever did which is 1 win against an opponent who finished the year ranked.

This year he has a dearth of depth. Imagine he couldn’t get Tommy here. Then this weekend definitely isn’t shocking. He’ll w/o getting him here I say we are 1-2. It would have been nice to get a defensive tackle from juco / grad but you can’t control where they want to go and the ncaa dicked us on our transfer (who from all accounts wouldn’t help that much). The punter was also bad but honestly is just MSU’s luck with the NCAA.

Moorhead is doing a heavy patchwork job and he’s almost done a damn good job of it. Can’t predict a talent like Guidry could tip up interceptions like that or predict who the injury bug will hit. The tutor-gate shit falls on him as captain of the ship, but they don’t affect the game as much as losing Cam and Tommy.

You could argue Moorhead is doing a better job this season than last season with what he’s given on the field...

Irondawg
09-16-2019, 04:27 PM
Talent is an issue for sure, my big concern is if he's trying to build a culture through a quotebook. I'm not 100% sure what he wants to the identity of the program to be and then own that. When Mullen, Jackie and Stans were in their primes you knew what we wanted to do and how we wanted to play and you could easily grade our effort in games. The min Jackie and Stans started to let that slip you saw the programs slide quickly. When Mullen's focus wavered to other jobs it showed.

The inconsistency we're seeing in some areas to me is a result somewhat of talent but also Joe trying figure out what kind of identity he wants to the team to have. I think it's clearer than last year with some QB's he likes better but we're easily still in a growth curve with him.

I seen it dawg
09-16-2019, 04:34 PM
Talent is an issue for sure, my big concern is if he's trying to build a culture through a quotebook. I'm not 100% sure what he wants to the identity of the program to be and then own that. When Mullen, Jackie and Stans were in their primes you knew what we wanted to do and how we wanted to play and you could easily grade our effort in games. The min Jackie and Stans started to let that slip you saw the programs slide quickly. When Mullen's focus wavered to other jobs it showed.

The inconsistency we're seeing in some areas to me is a result somewhat of talent but also Joe trying figure out what kind of identity he wants to the team to have. I think it's clearer than last year with some QB's he likes better but we're easily still in a growth curve with him.

Very interesting point. I'll add to that how long does it take a guy to learn to coach in the SEC?

smootness
09-16-2019, 04:40 PM
It's certainly worth discussing what this roster is made of and criticizing Mullen where he left holes.

But none of that has anything to do with what has become pretty clear at this point, which is that Moorhead's first two teams have both been mostly unorganized and undisciplined. That is the reason I am confident he isn't the answer, not even the roster and W/L.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-16-2019, 04:50 PM

Exactly, I still don't know what our identity on offense is two years in while K-State has already established theirs in three games. Why is that? Just some consistency from week to week would be nice.

basedog
09-16-2019, 04:56 PM
Exactly, I still don't know what our identity on offense is two years in while K-State has already established theirs in three games. Why is that? Just some consistency from week to week would be nice.

Mainly because of Stevens being hurt, it's just that simple. Pretty tough to be consistent when your Qb is hurt and u play a true Freshman QB.

Coach007
09-16-2019, 05:13 PM

It's hard to see it when you don't have a QB capable of executing it for 1 year.

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2019, 05:29 PM

Some of our view of the Jackie era is so revisionist I wonder how many people on here actually lived through it. I love Jackie, but Jackie's teams were notoriously inconsistent and undisciplined. So much so that if he hadn't beaten Bama in '96 he's probably fired. What kind of identity does a team have when it goes 3-6-2? People give Jackie a pass because of '98 and '99, but it wasn't all wins and grit and discipline on those teams.

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2019, 05:34 PM
It's certainly worth discussing what this roster is made of and criticizing Mullen where he left holes.

But none of that has anything to do with what has become pretty clear at this point, which is that Moorhead's first two teams have both been mostly unorganized and undisciplined. That is the reason I am confident he isn't the answer, not even the roster and W/L.

This this this

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2019, 05:36 PM
One thing I am optimistic about is that Shrader appears to be the type of player that can set a culture.

That is one tough sum-bitch & that SHOULD wear off on his teammates at some point in the next year.

We really need a "get in your face guy" at QB

AROB44
09-16-2019, 05:38 PM
Some of our view of the Jackie era is so revisionist I wonder how many people on here actually lived through it. I love Jackie, but Jackie's teams were notoriously inconsistent and undisciplined. So much so that if he hadn't beaten Bama in '96 he's probably fired. What kind of identity does a team have when it goes 3-6-2? People give Jackie a pass because of '98 and '99, but it wasn't all wins and grit and discipline on those teams.

So true.....he is my all time favorite coach, but wasn't as perfect as some remember.

Bothrops
09-16-2019, 05:55 PM
Nate Watson. I thought he was looking promising in LAST year's fall camp. What happened?

Todd4State
09-16-2019, 06:07 PM
Here's what kind of "upsets" me a little bit.

I remember back when some of those classes were being put together 3-5 years ago saying that we needed to recruit X because if we didn't we would have gaps. I got pretty much talked down...and now here we are. And it's all Joe's fault now.

And when I say "upset" I don't mean mad. I mean it's like telling someone that if they go a certain direction that they are going to hit a train because you can see the train coming from your vantage point...but they don't so they argue you down and you end up running into the train.

The thing that should upset all of us MSU fans is MSU allowed Dan to do this. All the while looking for new jobs while we offered up more and more money to keep him.

Which is why I said back in 2015 that we should have called Dan's bluff and forced him to go to Maryland. Had we done that we would be much better off now because we wouldn't be going through what we are now. And honestly whether some want to admit it or not- had Dan stayed I'm not sure we wouldn't be having the same types of years.

All we can do is go forward.

dantheman4248
09-16-2019, 06:14 PM

I remember back when some of those classes were being put together 3-5 years ago saying that we needed to recruit X because if we didn't we would have gaps. I got pretty much talked down...and now here we are. And it's all Joe's fault now.

And when I say "upset" I don't mean mad. I mean it's like telling someone that if they go a certain direction that they are going to hit a train because you can see the train coming from your vantage point...but they don't so they argue you down and you end up running into the train.

The thing that should upset all of us MSU fans is MSU allowed Dan to do this. All the while looking for new jobs while we offered up more and more money to keep him.

Which is why I said back in 2015 that we should have called Dan's bluff and forced him to go to Maryland. Had we done that we would be much better off now because we wouldn't be going through what we are now. And honestly whether some want to admit it or not- had Dan stayed I'm not sure we wouldn't be having the same types of years.

Dan beat 3 teams who ended the year ranked in 9 seasons. I have no doubt we would be similarly let down by him last season. 2018's roster was not better than 2014's and he only mustered 1 win that looked decent at the end of the year (#22 Auburn who was the only ranked team with 5 losses)

Todd4State
09-16-2019, 06:15 PM
Dan beat 3 teams who ended the year ranked in 9 seasons. I have no doubt we would be similarly let down by him last season. 2018's roster was not better than 2014's and he only mustered 1 win that looked decent at the end of the year (#22 Auburn who was the only ranked team with 5 losses)

Based on 9 years of watching Dan and the fact that he couldn't beat the same UK team at home that we couldn't beat on the road- I agree.

I seen it dawg
09-16-2019, 06:23 PM

Great post. I'll add how much of a pass does Mullen get from the No 1 season?

And i didn't start this as a bash Mullen thread but only as a these are the players playing thread. Everyone knows i hated mullen and moreso for that particular yr bc of not finishing but I'm truly trying to get discussion and highlight what i think is a vitally important problem facing Moorhead.

Commercecomet24
09-16-2019, 06:28 PM

This is a dead on accurate post that all on here should read! I love Jackie to death and still do. He showed us we could win and gave the finger to the sec. That being said he had a lot of ups and downs we always had tons of penalties and a lot of troubled players.

I seen it dawg
09-16-2019, 06:29 PM

The roster does affect what we see on the field on saturdays. I'm not saying Moorhead is without fault as he most certainly is but to say the roster doesn't have any trickle effect on discipline, missed assignments, changing a way a coach coaches, etc is shortsighted. I'm not exonerating Moorhead by any means.

Commercecomet24
09-16-2019, 06:31 PM

And i didn't start this as a bash Mullen thread but only as a these are the players playing thread. Everyone knows i hated mullen and moreso for that particular yr bc of not finishing but I'm truly trying to get discussion and highlight what i think is a vitally important problem facing Moorhead.

Yes and this is why I believe we have to Be a little more patient with Joe. He
May or may not be the answer the jury is still out but I'm gonna see how the rest of the season plays out. He's our coach right now and all the bitching in the world isn't gonna change anything right now.

BrunswickDawg
09-16-2019, 07:15 PM

All you have to do is go back and read threads on here from 2013. Mullen was eviscerated on here for our terrible OL (which had a converted DL and I think a TE playing LT), dumb penalties and terrible clock management - and a whole lot of "why is he trying to throw the ball!!!!" All that went away again until 2016.

Something I don't think people who didn't play sports above rec league understand is that shit happens in sports. Teams sometimes don't gel. It's not coaching, it's not work ethic, its not talent, it's just this inexplicable thing that happens. And the crazy thing is that the exact same team can go out the next season and wreck every one they play. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced myself. And it can be any sport. Its not an excuse, but it's more about the randomness of seasons and how they play out.

Commercecomet24
09-16-2019, 07:23 PM
All you have to do is go back and read threads on here from 2013. Mullen was eviscerated on here for our terrible OL (which had a converted DL and I think a TE playing LT), dumb penalties and terrible clock management - and a whole lot of "why is he trying to throw the ball!!!!" All that went away again until 2016.

Something I don't think people who didn't play sports above rec league understand is that shit happens in sports. Teams sometimes don't gel. It's not coaching, it's not work ethic, its not talent, it's just this inexplicable thing that happens. And the crazy thing is that the exact same team can go out the next season and wreck every one they play. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't experienced myself. And it can be any sport. Its not an excuse, but it's more about the randomness of seasons and how they play out.

Very very well said!

Really Clark?
09-16-2019, 07:24 PM

Very true and excellent take

Ari Gold
09-19-2019, 09:00 AM
One of the better threads in a while on ED...

And since I love to be all unicorns and rainbows...
if CJM can figure out what it takes to be successful , what coaches and staff needs upgrades, and keeps grinding and holds on to this juco class and a few of these possible impact high school kids
Take a look at that possible 2021 team and roster.

Scared_Hitless
09-19-2019, 09:09 AM
One of the better threads in a while on ED...

And since I love to be all unicorns and rainbows...
if CJM can figure out what it takes to be successful , what coaches and staff needs upgrades, and keeps grinding and holds on to this juco class and a few of these possible impact high school kids
Take a look at that possible 2021 team and roster.

I love the JUCO additions, one thing you can say about Joe is he sees a void on the team and works his tail off to fix it. D-Line and O-Line specifically, also we are finally getting decent WRs interested in our program. We got to stay the course at worst we are balancing our roster much better than Mullen did so the next guy will have a great chance to compete.

TALL DAWG
09-19-2019, 09:10 AM
Last 3 Mullen classes and first 2 (first he held together and signed 2nd all his)Moorhead. These listed are guys that are rostered currently (not suspended). This is just me taking it and looking at it from what I observe so I may miss something. And by god if I do I know i will be helped to be made aware of it.

I am not in the absolute total stroke meltdown a lot of fans seem to be, or the ones showing their faces on here and other places. And this is no way an indicator of me not being upset we just lost a game. It also doesn't mean I don't have questions about things in our program. It means I had a thought about who we have on the field through 3 games and what impact it is having and where they come from class-wise. I would hope this would be a constructive look and thought provoking thread even though that's extremely optimistic and most likely futile.

I am listing guys that PLAY and then are IMPACTFUL in my opinion as to their skill level/production currently. The rest are guys that just play in rotations, aren't really good but play, should be special team guys but play.

2015 RSr
Lewis, Dear, Adams, Gibson, Washington, D.Thomas, Smitherman, Green, Story, Dontae Jones

Kobe Jones, Spencer, Reese, Morgan, K. Charles, Dantzler, Eiland, Parker, Mitchell, Thompson

Cole, Rivers, Champion, Landrews, Autry, Phillips (all redshirted), Hill, A.Williams, T.Williams, James Jackson, Day

2018 So-RFr

2019 FR, Juco 1st yr

1st Year Juco
Sharpe, Payton

Grad Transfer
Zuber, Stevens

50 guys signed last 5 years that have played this season. 11 (maybe 13 impactful) players before true freshman and that number includes a punter.

Excellent work here! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Also, fans raising 3 hells this week over a loss to a respectable program (not
USA or Maine mind u) need to back away from the ledge.

AROB44
09-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Excellent work here! Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Also, fans raising 3 hells this week over a loss to a respectable program (not
USA or Maine mind u) need to back away from the ledge.

Hell no....wish they would go ahead and jump off.

Coursesuper
09-19-2019, 09:32 AM
Nate Watson. I thought he was looking promising in LAST year's fall camp. What happened?

Just remember who was telling you he was looking promising, Rosebowl is selling something, try to keep that in mind with the Fan Media.

Tbonewannabe
09-19-2019, 09:43 AM
So true.....he is my all time favorite coach, but wasn't as perfect as some remember.

Jackie also didn't have the benefits that Mullen had. The stadium, money, and getting an extra gimme win every year. The SEC West is tougher now just from the resurgence of LSU but Bama and Auburn were both great teams during that time. Bama is better but does it really matter when you look at your schedule and see #1 Bama vs #8 Bama? Both are more than likely a loss.

ShotgunDawg
09-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Jackie also didn't have the benefits that Mullen had. The stadium, money, and getting an extra gimme win every year. The SEC West is tougher now just from the resurgence of LSU but Bama and Auburn were both great teams during that time. Bama is better but does it really matter when you look at your schedule and see #1 Bama vs #8 Bama? Both are more than likely a loss.

It does matter from a hope standpoint.

We've played #8 Auburn, LSU, & A&M plenty of times over the past decade & had success. A #8 Bama instead of #1 Bama brings an awful lot of hope & better games

Activated Alpha
09-19-2019, 09:50 AM
At least you aren't Michigan who was a OT fumble from losing that game. If Michigan, who has more talent than Army in just about every position, could almost lose that game then I'm not that upset that state lost to KSU with Tommy being injured. Anyone could see that he was not 100% due to injury. If he was injury-free then I believe State would have won that game just from the accuracy standpoint. Though I agree that there is some discipline and effort issues, that can be fixed. I don't want to see State break away from Moorhead just yet, but I do want to see a change in ST and S&C. Those are a must change and if he doesn't then he is burning the forest around him.

Ari Gold
09-19-2019, 09:56 AM
Just remember who was telling you he was looking promising, Rosebowl is selling something, try to keep that in mind with the Fan Media.

I will try and get some inside info on how he is looking this year.
Keep in mind he is just a red shirt freshman lets don’t bury the kid just yet.

Maroonthirteen
09-19-2019, 10:08 AM
I am not in the absolute total stroke meltdown a lot of fans seem to be, or the ones showing their faces on here and other places. And this is no way an indicator of me not being upset we just lost a game. It also doesn't mean I don't have questions about things in our program. It means I had a thought about who we have on the field through 3 games and what impact it is having and where they come from .

Yeah. This is me. I?m worried about some things with JoMo. But he gets a pass this year with the suspensions and injuries. Stevens being so fragile..... it remains to be seen if he can be classified as impactful. We are really counting on him too. Could be the difference in 4 wins or 7wins.

Tbonewannabe
09-19-2019, 10:11 AM
It does matter from a hope standpoint.

We've played #8 Auburn, LSU, & A&M plenty of times over the past decade & had success. A #8 Bama instead of #1 Bama brings an awful lot of hope & better games

We had success when they weren't really #8. Now I understand that a loss against us would affect their ranking but when we beat those teams they weren't good enough to finish even in the top 15. Those teams had 4 or 5 losses.

Which is more impressive?

Win at home against #3 UF who finished the season 10-3 and finished ranked #10.

Win at home against #2 AU who finished the season 8-5 and finished ranked #22.

Coursesuper
09-19-2019, 10:14 AM
I will try and get some inside info on how he is looking this year.
Keep in mind he is just a red shirt freshman lets don’t bury the kid just yet.

Please understand I'm not trying to put that kid down, that would never be my intention. I just see a lot of people taking what the Fan Media say as the gospel and its just not.

yjnkdawg
09-19-2019, 10:17 AM
Hell no....wish they would go ahead and jump off.

They aren't going to jump because they would rather bitch and gripe here and make everybody else miserable.

yjnkdawg
09-19-2019, 10:25 AM

2015 RSr

2018 So-RFr

2019 FR, Juco 1st yr

1st Year Juco
Sharpe, Payton

Grad Transfer
Zuber, Stevens

Excellent post ISID. Some of the "always" negative posters concerning our football program probably could comprehend what you said, but they just don't want to as it doesn't fit their agenda. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ISID again.

BB30
09-19-2019, 10:39 AM

If we look back our two best coaches in the relatively modern era of football have been Jackie and Dan. Say what you want about Dan but historically speaking he overachieved for a majority of his tenure. Now he left some wins out there for sure but at some point you have to take a step back and look at the program outside of the coach that is coaching it. Jackie was the same way, I mean he finished break even in a less than stellar SEC west. We should have won the west at least twice while he was here and had the west been that bad while Dan was here we would have won it a couple of times more than likely.

Many on here have unrealistic expectations for where we are at currently as a program. There isn't a quick fix, instant gratification answer to the problem. It is and always was going to take time to build a true contender. It could take another 8-10 years of consistently winning to erase the poor history that we have in football.

JOMO may or may not be the guy but we need our version of a Frank Beamer. A guy that is good and that will stay here and stay dedicated to our program. Otherwise, the odds of hitting on a homerun hire every 5-8 years is extremely tough and there will always be a step or two back before you start moving forward again with a new coach and new system.

People thinking we wouldn't miss a beat were mistaken. Most didn't think so at the time but we made a pretty radical change in offensive philosophy and anytime you do that your going to hit some pretty good sized speed bumps that will take close to a full recruiting cycle to really see if it is going to work or not.

Any coach we bring in deserves 3 years and I would be alright with 4 if the train hasn't completely fallen off the tracks. There are some discouraging signs but this is JOMO's first time being a HC at a major program. Everyone's learning curve is different. If he can hold serve and win 7-8 games this year and next I'd say we could potentially have a pretty good HC in the making. There is a real lack of patience in today's world and that is part of the problem.

gravedigger
09-19-2019, 05:04 PM
To complex questions.

What everyone thirsts for is for us to be powerful enough to run opposing teams over. We have resembled that most games under Mullen except the ones that mattered. Now we have shifted gears to more finesse and we are still transitioning. Obviously we are passing better than we have since 2015. Obviously our defense is the weakest it?s been in years. People just believe that could be resolved with a different coach completely discounting injuries and poor decisions by athletes.

We want the results of OMs cheating without the ncaa sanctions. We want bamas coach without bamas fan support.

Unicorns and rainbows. If we?d just fire joe, we can have it all.

DancingRabbit
09-19-2019, 05:34 PM

In other words, don't bother me with facts, I have already made up my mind.

A lot of that going around.

msstate7
09-19-2019, 06:19 PM

What's your facts that say he is the answer?

DancingRabbit
09-19-2019, 06:55 PM

Is he the answer? What's the question? He is our football coach. It's pointless to re-visit the hiring of Dan's replacement every day on here 20 months later.

Dr. Keenum and John Cohen are both smart people and love State. They chose him after considering our options and interviewing multiple candidates.

Every coach Joe has worked with raves about him as a person and a football mind. He was two-time OC of the Year. Penn State fans seemed to love him. Even see a few Fordham fans tweeting best wishes.

All you made-up-your-mind experts remind me of the anti-Dak crowd on twitter.

basedog
09-19-2019, 07:54 PM
Is he the answer? What's the question? He is our football coach. It's pointless to re-visit the hiring of Dan's replacement every day on here 20 months later.

Dr. Keenum and John Cohen are both smart people and love State. They chose him after considering our options and interviewing multiple candidates.

Every coach Joe has worked with raves about him as a person and a football mind. He was two-time OC of the Year. Penn State fans seemed to love him. Even see a few Fordham fans tweeting best wishes.

Very well stated!

biggun
09-20-2019, 07:56 AM
This is a dead on accurate post that all on here should read! I love Jackie to death and still do. He showed us we could win and gave the finger to the sec. That being said he had a lot of ups and downs we always had tons of penalties and a lot of troubled players.

And Jackie?s last 3 teams were total train wrecks on and off the field

Tbonewannabe
09-20-2019, 08:08 AM

If nothing else, you look at his past track record and give him the benefit of the doubt. We seem to want loyalty, like Dan job shopping himself didn't piss people off, but don't even want to give a guy 2 years to change an offense and recruit players that actually fit that offense. I don't know if Joe's offense will ever work against the Bama and LSU type of defenses but as long as we are making bowl games then we aren't going backwards. Mullen RARELY did anything against those type level teams as evidenced by his lack of wins over teams with a top 25 final ranking. Other than Iowa last year, any of the other 4 teams Joe would have beat would have been the best win in the last 15 or so years.

People need to at least support Joe through the end of the year and then make an assumption. If we fired him today, we would be hard pressed to get anyone worth a shit to take the job without overpaying whoever it was by a lot. That coach would know if his QB goes down and he has to pay a true freshman then it could get him fired. We aren't Bama or LSU where you have the $$$ and name recognition to do that. I guess if you aren't planning on hiring an upcoming head coach or a coordinator then maybe that is ok if we are hiring from the D2 or D3 coaching ranks. They would just be happy to get a 4 year deal for $3 Mil per year and wouldn't care if they were fired 1 season in because they are just there for the payday.

TrapGame
09-20-2019, 08:16 AM
If nothing else, you look at his past track record and give him the benefit of the doubt. We seem to want loyalty, like Dan job shopping himself didn't piss people off, but don't even want to give a guy 2 years to change an offense and recruit players that actually fit that offense. I don't know if Joe's offense will ever work against the Bama and LSU type of defenses but as long as we are making bowl games then we aren't going backwards. Mullen RARELY did anything against those type level teams as evidenced by his lack of wins over teams with a top 25 final ranking. Other than Iowa last year, any of the other 4 teams Joe would have beat would have been the best win in the last 15 or so years.

People need to at least support Joe through the end of the year and then make an assumption. If we fired him today, we would be hard pressed to get anyone worth a shit to take the job without overpaying whoever it was by a lot. That coach would know if his QB goes down and he has to pay a true freshman then it could get him fired. We aren't Bama or LSU where you have the $$$ and name recognition to do that. I guess if you aren't planning on hiring an upcoming head coach or a coordinator then maybe that is ok if we are hiring from the D2 or D3 coaching ranks. They would just be happy to get a 4 year deal for $3 Mil per year and wouldn't care if they were fired 1 season in because they are just there for the payday.

I'm giving him three full years as HC to show me what he can do with the program. Next year the defense will be more experienced and deeper. Shrader getting experience in big games this season will be HUGE next season. Joe can really shut people up next season by putting a more cohesive product on the field.

timotheus
09-20-2019, 08:16 AM
Is that why Klieman took the KSU job then? what about the guy at wyoming? just $$ huh

Tbonewannabe
09-20-2019, 08:40 AM
Is that why Klieman took the KSU job then? what about the guy at wyoming? just $$ huh

Did they take a job where the school tells them the first bad loss and you are fired? I was stating if we fired Moorhead today after the KSU loss then it looks like the first time you lose to a team outside the top 25 then you are fired. I doubt many coaches want to go a place that doesn't have their back in any means. It would show we don't support a coach that needs to build his program. Hell, according to a lot of folks on this message board, Saban should have been fired his first year at Bama after losing to the teams that he did.

Scared_Hitless
09-20-2019, 08:51 AM
JoMo gets until the end of next year for me. That should be the minimum window any coach at State gets. that would give him 4 full recruiting classes, then in year 4 we evaluate him in totality, his players and his scheme to go alongside his development of those players. Jumping to conclusions before that is a waste of time.

We need to keep the bowl streak alive this season pull for 7-5 to 8-4 both are not impossible. The suspensions and injuries have kind of made me take this season with a grain of salt. I think next season we have much more talent with the addition of JUCOs and subtractions of some under performers, looking at you Guidry. If we lose Gay and Thompson our D may need some help next year, but they may both return.

TrapGame
09-20-2019, 08:55 AM
Did they take a job where the school tells them the first bad loss and you are fired? I was stating if we fired Moorhead today after the KSU loss then it looks like the first time you lose to a team outside the top 25 then you are fired. I doubt many coaches want to go a place that doesn't have their back in any means. It would show we don't support a coach that needs to build his program. Hell, according to a lot of folks on this message board, Saban should have been fired his first year at Bama after losing to the teams that he did.

Not only that, but if you lose with a freshman QB in for an injured starter and without the heart of your secondary due to injury and down eight players including two big time starters on defense then you should be fired.

SheltonChoked
09-20-2019, 08:57 AM

No one remembers being skull drug by Power house 4-7, 2-6 Curly Hallman Coached, LSU teams...

I seen it dawg
09-20-2019, 09:22 AM

This is combatitive and borderline being an asshole. Anyone with a brain knows that no one knows and you can't factually say if he is or isn't the answer with such a short sample. And what are the criteria for the "answer"? To you it may be one thing to others something else. Open mindedness to differing takes be damned.

I seen it dawg
09-20-2019, 09:25 AM
We've had 9 true freshman play in games so far of which no game a blowout either way. Think about that...9. I guess my point of the original post was to show how top heavy age wise our lack of numbers in talent is.

Johnson85
09-20-2019, 09:27 AM

This is what I don't get. Saturday was bad, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the UK, FL, or Iowa game last year. I don't know when we have ever had the type of team where we could lose our starting QB, 2nd string RB, our best LB, our best DT, and also our best CB for a half, and still come away with a win against a solid, non-SEC Power 5 opponent. But then you look at the gaps Mullen left him, and you replace the starting QB with a true freshman, the 2nd string RB with a true freshman, your DTs basically being all freshmen and RS freshmen, and it just isn't nearly as bad as the performance of the staff against UK, UF, and Iowa last year. If you still want to be pissed about the staff for last year, I get it. Joe did not do a good job adjusting to the talent he had (although I think part of the problem is he kept getting suckered in by good performances against mediocre defenses), but I'm hard pressed to fault him as much for KSU. Joe came in with massive holes to fill in OL recruiting and DL recruiting and seems to have done well, we just lost the one guy we couldn't afford to lose in Autry.

I seen it dawg
09-20-2019, 09:30 AM
Another thing about this thread.....haven't had many if any of the "fire now, we are worse off than crooms, then end is here and by god I'm gonna tell you that every 4 minutes and you will believe me or you're mentally challenged" in this thread. And they know who they are. It's been enjoyable. Every thread doesn't have to be screaming at each other even tho there are disagreements. Great discussion guys.

I seen it dawg
09-20-2019, 09:32 AM
This is what I don't get. Saturday was bad, but it wasn't nearly as bad as the UK, FL, or Iowa game last year. I don't know when we have ever had the type of team where we could lose our starting QB, 2nd string RB, our best LB, our best DT, and also our best CB for a half, and still come away with a win against a solid, non-SEC Power 5 opponent. But then you look at the gaps Mullen left him, and you replace the starting QB with a true freshman, the 2nd string RB with a true freshman, your DTs basically being all freshmen and RS freshmen, and it just isn't nearly as bad as the performance of the staff against UK, UF, and Iowa last year. If you still want to be pissed about the staff for last year, I get it. Joe did not do a good job adjusting to the talent he had (although I think part of the problem is he kept getting suckered in by good performances against mediocre defenses), but I'm hard pressed to fault him as much for KSU. Joe came in with massive holes to fill in OL recruiting and DL recruiting and seems to have done well, we just lost the one guy we couldn't afford to lose in Autry.

And i could be wrong but it won't surprise me if KSt wins 8-9 games in that conference. Kliemann can flat out coach.

Tbonewannabe
09-20-2019, 09:49 AM
No one remembers being skull drug by Power house 4-7, 2-6 Curly Hallman Coached, LSU teams...

Nick Saban lost to a Croom lead MSU and Louisana Lafayette back to back. He went 7-6 his first year and lost to worse competition than Moorhead has. It isn't like Bama had shit recruits at the time either. The year before Saban, Bama was 6-7 but the year before that was a 10-2 year.

I am not saying Moorhead in any form or fashion is like Saban but knee jerk reactions to early results while the coach is building his program. Saban did have results in the SEC prior to that but Moorhead has been successful prior and is well thought of nationally.

Turfdawg67
09-20-2019, 09:51 AM
This is combatitive and borderline being an asshole. Anyone with a brain knows that no one knows and you can't factually say if he is or isn't the answer with such a short sample. And what are the criteria for the "answer"? To you it may be one thing to others something else. Open mindedness to differing takes be damned.

https://i.postimg.cc/h4840CJX/0937-D956-3-F25-4-A56-AAF5-E8394724081-B.gif

I seen it dawg
09-20-2019, 09:52 AM
I've said this before....Clemson was doing the same thing to Dabo that we are doing to Moorhead right now. Clemson has turned out ok.

(Disclaimer for all the ****ing assholes about to dive on this grenade...I am in no way whatsoever saying Moorhead is gonna be Dabo. And I'm not saying he isn't gonna be a Dabo. Just a factual observation and relating.J

msstate7
09-20-2019, 09:57 AM

Right, which is why I asked him bc he said smoot threw out facts. Just wanted to know what facts

I seen it dawg
09-20-2019, 10:02 AM
Right, which is why I asked him bc he said smoot threw out facts. Just wanted to know what facts

What facts did smoot throw out?

msstate7
09-20-2019, 10:04 AM
What facts did smoot throw out?

No idea, dancing said smoot threw out some facts

RocketCityDawg
09-20-2019, 10:05 AM
This thread was a pleasure to read. Great job guys.

I seen it dawg
09-20-2019, 10:06 AM
No idea, dancing said smoot threw out some facts

My point is it was all subjective as far as saying "he's not the answer". Carry on

Tbonewannabe
09-20-2019, 10:23 AM
My point is it was all subjective as far as saying "he's not the answer". Carry on

Yes, a lot of the criteria they are throwing out as reasons to fire Joe would have gotten Saban fired at Bama. The truth is because of all of the different hurdles with a QB that wasn't in the system until basically right before the season and all the injured and suspended players, we don't know what a normal healthy program under Joe looks like. I will say that there are some playcalling issues that I am worried about but you give him time to figure out what works. We still have a small sample size on Joe's offense in the SEC.

No one can say for a fact that it doesn't work because we haven't seen it with his players.

MedDawg
09-20-2019, 10:29 AM

Moorhead DID beat a team that finished #16, which is the biggest win in 18 years. And beat them by two touchdowns.

msstate7
09-20-2019, 10:32 AM
Moorhead DID beat a team that finished #16, which is the biggest win in 18 years. And beat them by two touchdowns.

Just wondering... in 1980 when state beat Bama, do you consider that us beating the #1 team in the country?

DancingRabbit
09-20-2019, 10:38 AM

It's right here in the thread. You're either being disingenuous or maybe you just have too many lines in the water.

Originally Posted by smootness View Post

Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post

Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post

Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post

MedDawg
09-20-2019, 10:47 AM
Just wondering... in 1980 when state beat Bama, do you consider that us beating the #1 team in the country?

Not sure where you're going with this. At the time, Bama was a clear #1 because they had a thirty-something winning streak and were the defending champions.

Some go by rankings when we played them, and Mullen beat three Top 10 teams in a row in 2014. Some go by how the teams finished the season, and none of those teams finished in the Top 10.

However, in 2018 A&M was ranked #16 when we beat them AND #16 at the end of the season.

basedog
09-20-2019, 11:26 AM

Why do you do say things like this? Are you bored or just like to argue? Asking for "many" friends?

TrapGame
09-20-2019, 11:29 AM
Why do you do say things like this? Are you bored or just like to argue? Asking for "many" friends?

When 7 moves the goal post he changes stadiums too.

basedog
09-20-2019, 11:34 AM
When 7 moves the goal post he changes stadiums too.

Problem is goal post were taken down! He needs a dog, LOL

msstate7
09-20-2019, 11:38 AM

Just seems weird that we as state fans would downplay our 3 top 10 wins a row in 2014. That was the greatest 8 or so weeks as a state fan I can remember. We were on SI cover twice. We were # freaking 1. Now we wanna say, well LSU, aTm, and auburn didn't finish well so 2014 wasn't good. For all the posi police here, this seems like one DA stance for us to take

basedog
09-20-2019, 11:47 AM
Just seems weird that we as state fans would downplay our 3 top 10 wins a row in 2014. That was the greatest 8 or so weeks as a state fan I can remember. We were on SI cover twice. We were # freaking 1. Now we wanna say, well LSU, aTm, and auburn didn't finish well so 2014 wasn't good. For all the posi police here, this seems like one DA stance for us to take

Nicely stated! I'm all in for good things to happen to Msu.

Commercecomet24
09-20-2019, 11:57 AM

I don't downplay it. I cant stand it when people say we beat team "x" because they weren't good. That's a bs way to look at things. IMO EVERY sec win is a big win and every d1 win Is a good win. Winning isn't as easy as some people think. Anyone that's ever played or coached at a high level should know this.

basedog
09-20-2019, 12:03 PM
I don't downplay it. I cant stand it when people say we beat team "x" because they weren't good. That's a bs way to look at things. IMO EVERY sec win is a big win and every d1 win Is a good win. Winning isn't as easy as some people think. Anyone that's ever played or coached at a high level should know this.

+1 and you nailed it, I could care less how many points we win by nor who we beat! Winning is way more fun than losing!

DancingRabbit
09-20-2019, 12:03 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/2aPlcmmdftuuvMcfvF/giphy.gif

Commercecomet24
09-20-2019, 12:06 PM
+1 and you nailed it, I could care less how many points we win by nor who we beat! Winning is way more fun than losing!

Amen! I learned a long time ago that there are no ugly wins, some just aren't as pretty as others but they're all beautiful!

Tbonewannabe
09-20-2019, 12:47 PM

MSU fans obviously appreciate the 3 top 10 wins in a row on the way to our first ever #1 ranking. So on the flip side is losing to a top 12 team on the road in his first year a fireable offense for Joe?

msstate7
09-20-2019, 12:49 PM
MSU fans obviously appreciate the 3 top 10 wins in a row on the way to our first ever #1 ranking. So on the flip side is losing to a top 12 team on the road in his first year a fireable offense for Joe?

You'd have to ask the ones calling for him to be fired. I'm certainly not one that feels he's doing a stellar job, but I've always said he should get through 2020.

I seen it dawg
09-29-2019, 10:14 AM

2015 RSr

2018 So-RFr

2019 FR, Juco 1st yr

1st Year Juco
Sharpe, Payton

Grad Transfer
Zuber, Stevens

Bump as a reminder of what's taking the field....

Coach007
09-29-2019, 10:19 AM
Bump as a reminder of what's taking the field....

And what we have coming in!

A ton of experience is being gained right now by a lot of young players. We should see steady improvements. If not in 2 years, he will need to go

I seen it dawg
09-29-2019, 07:14 PM
Bump again to sit next to the "long awaited recruiting thread" which i figured this thread was that but carry on.