PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead off to the best start as Ms St HC since Allen McKeen

Coach007
09-16-2019, 01:54 PM
That's right. Even Better than Mullen to this point.

Great Recruiter and doing one hell of a job with a ton of freshmen.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2019, 01:56 PM
Yawn.

What Mullen inherited < What Moorhead inherited

By a mile

Coach007
09-16-2019, 01:58 PM
Yawn.

What Mullen inherited < What Moorhead inherited

By a mile

Not really

Bubb Rubb
09-16-2019, 02:01 PM
Not really

Yes, really.

Plus, we still have to vacate an undetermined number of games from last year due to tutor gate. So, there goes your original premise.

TrapGame
09-16-2019, 02:03 PM
Can't be positive round here coach. We gotta be doom and gloom 24/7.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DifficultDisloyalIndianjackal-size_restricted.gif

Bubb Rubb
09-16-2019, 02:08 PM

There's positive, and then there's delusional.

Mobile Bay
09-16-2019, 02:10 PM
It's all of them. Several cheating players played all the games last season.

Great job by Morehead instilling discipline and monitoring the team.

Doggie_Style
09-16-2019, 02:10 PM

:rolleyes:

dnadawg
09-16-2019, 02:12 PM
Or Crooms, or *******. Do they go to Walmarts?

Edit to add this thought:

Moorhead can make excuses or use cute sayings to prove his point all he wants.

The best thing he can do is prove he is the right coach on the field. Victories off of the field do not put butts in the seats.

CadaverDawg
09-16-2019, 02:13 PM

Positive is different than foolish

Coach007
09-16-2019, 02:17 PM
Yes, really.

Plus, we still have to vacate an undetermined number of games from last year due to tutor gate. So, there goes your original premise.

Sucks, but yep. Some players messed up. Fire the coach. LMAO!

Coach007
09-16-2019, 02:17 PM

Misery loves company.

Dawgology
09-16-2019, 02:18 PM
Not really

He inherited arguably the best defense this school has ever fielded. Mullen did not.

He inherited Kylin Hill. Mullen inherited Anthony Dixon. (push)

He inherited Fitz. Mullen inherited...Tyson Lee...

I would say that per rankings Moorhead inherited a better receiving corp that Mullen did.

Also, let's be really clear here...Moorhead is 2-6 at State. All of our wins last year were vacated.

confucius say
09-16-2019, 02:22 PM
Dan was 7.1-4.9 coach in regular season. So a 7-5 coach. He set a new standard fir MSU in the modern era.

Do any of yall believe joe is not going to be a 7-5 guy here? I just do not get this sudden outrage.

confucius say
09-16-2019, 02:24 PM
He inherited arguably the best defense this school has ever fielded. Mullen did not.

I would say that per rankings Moorhead inherited a better receiving corp that Mullen did.

Also, let's be really clear here...Moorhead is 2-6 at State. All of our wins last year were vacated.

Dan inherited relf too. And Tyler was there his first year in 2009 too

Tbonewannabe
Not really

I have put on this message board all the NFL talent that Mullen inherited but I don't think it will end up being that close. Simmons and Sweat is probably the best DT/DE combination in MSU history to go with maybe the best safety to play at MSU. I wouldn't say by a mile better but Moorhead definitely stepped into a lot better situation.

HoopsDawg

Awesome. Looking forward to Gameday coming in a few weeks.

Dawgology
09-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Dan inherited relf too.

As a sophmore. I was looking at senior leadership. If that's the case you could say that Moorhead inherited KT and Mayden both highly recruited 4 star QB's.

sleepy dawg
09-16-2019, 02:35 PM
Dan was 7.1-4.9 coach in regular season. So a 7-5 coach. He set a new standard fir MSU in the modern era.

Do any of yall believe joe is not going to be a 7-5 guy here? I just do not get this sudden outrage.

And if you throw out his first season where he took over from the Croom debacle, he averaged 8.1 wins a season.

Coach007
09-16-2019, 02:40 PM
And if you throw out his first season where he took over from the Croom debacle, he averaged 8.1 wins a season.

Why are we throwing it out? Do we throw out this season? After all, It was Mullen's team that left gaps by not recruiting.

But it doesn't work that way with people right? So Mullen won 5 games here in his first year. WITH NFL Talent.

He inherited arguably the best defense this school has ever fielded.

And major gaps to be suffered by the next coach.

He inherited Relf you mean. Along with Elliot, Mitchell, Dixon, Broomfield, Wright, Bell etc... Along with people Like F Cox, C Bumphis, McPhee, Russell (talk about mismanagement), Banks, Slay, Skinner, Gabe Jackson, etc...

TrapGame
09-16-2019, 02:40 PM
Positive is different than foolish

There's positive, and then there's delusional.

There's plenty of foolishness and delusion on both sides of this argument.

Joe being good or bad is not the end of the world. He will be here next year too. If it's the same ol' shit in year three then he needs to me told to move on. But, we are not there yet. Way too many happy trigger fingers. Let's get through this season first and evaluate it.

Coach007
09-16-2019, 02:43 PM
There's plenty of foolishness and delusion on both sides of this argument.

Joe being good or bad is not the end of the world. He will be here next year too. If it's the same ol' shit in year three then he needs to me told to move on. But, we are not there yet. Way too many happy trigger fingers. Let's get through this season first and evaluate it.

Exactly.

I seen it dawg
09-16-2019, 02:45 PM
I have put on this message board all the NFL talent that Mullen inherited but I don't think it will end up being that close. Simmons and Sweat is probably the best DT/DE combination in MSU history to go with maybe the best safety to play at MSU. I wouldn't say by a mile better but Moorhead definitely stepped into a lot better situation.

Not really relevant to your post and will probably derail thread and I apologize in advance....I'll get roasted for this and I don't give a shit bc I'm right but Mullen had zero to do with Sweat coming here

I seen it dawg
09-16-2019, 02:47 PM
And there is absolutely both sides to this, and I'll say mostly the kill him side, that are being total ****ing morons.

TrapGame
09-16-2019, 02:53 PM
And there is absolutely both sides to this, and I'll say mostly the kill him side, that are being total ****ing morons.

I know.

There are some things about Joe that are troubling but this let's take down to the river and shoot him crap is getting way over the top.

We **** this up and we'll make Arkansas look like LSU.

Commercecomet24
09-16-2019, 02:53 PM

Most accurate post on the board in the last 3 days.

Bubb Rubb
09-16-2019, 03:02 PM

With the team he inherited last year, and the ease of this year's schedule and relative state of the SEC, 7-5 is underachievement to me. We can grade on W-L records, or we can take all factors into account and judge on how we are playing in a given season. I choose to do the latter.

confucius say
09-16-2019, 03:08 PM

That?s not true. It would be 7.375. 59 divided by 8.

And why throw it out. His decision making costing us Houston and LSU that year was as bad as anything joe has done. And I am a huge Mullen guy, FYI.

I seen it dawg
09-16-2019, 03:10 PM
That?s not true. It would be 7.375. 59 divided by 8.

And why throw it out. His decision making costing us Houston and LSU that year was as bad as anything joe has done. And I am a huge Mullen guy, FYI.

Oh shit no you can't be a like mullen guy or hate mullen guy and still throw out meaningful correct stats or facts. Hell no not up in here!!! **

confucius say
09-16-2019, 03:18 PM
With the team he inherited last year, and the ease of this year's schedule and relative state of the SEC, 7-5 is underachievement to me. We can grade on W-L records, or we can take all factors into account and judge on how we are playing in a given season. I choose to do the latter.

Completely fair on taking all factors into account. We also didn?t play P5 noncon teams 2010-2015 minus ok st in 2013. Injuries all over the place (Tommy, Parker, Dantzler, Gibson).

Just don?t get the sudden outrage.

Bubb Rubb
09-16-2019, 03:36 PM
Completely fair on taking all factors into account. We also didn?t play P5 noncon teams 2010-2015 minus ok st in 2013. Injuries all over the place (Tommy, Parker, Dantzler, Gibson).

Just don?t get the sudden outrage.

I'm not "outraged" like maybe some others are. It's just a football game. What we say on a message board is not going to change anything, anyway. But there are some pretty significant problems that I think are bigger than just injuries and suspensions.

Coach007
09-16-2019, 03:43 PM
I'm not "outraged" like maybe some others are. It's just a football game. What we say on a message board is not going to change anything, anyway. But there are some pretty significant problems that I think are bigger than just injuries and suspensions.

There are. Like Mullen, who I had hoped would stay, left massive holes on our team. As pointed out by several and very well organized by I Seen IT in his new thread, we have not 1 JR DT. Only 1 SO DT that has had to bounce between DT and OL due to the other hole left by Mullen.

So you have 2 SR DTs... 1 is suspended. The other is being beat out by a Freshman. EVERY DT outside of those 3 mentioned are freshmen.

And they just allowed one of the top rushing offenses in the nation a mere 246 TOTAL yards of offense.

Bubb Rubb
09-16-2019, 03:49 PM
There are. Like Mullen, who I had hoped would stay, left massive holes on our team. As pointed out by several and very well organized by I Seen IT in his new thread, we have not 1 JR DT. Only 1 SO DT that has had to bounce between DT and OL due to the other hole left by Mullen.

So you have 2 SR DTs... 1 is suspended. The other is being beat out by a Freshman. EVERY DT outside of those 3 mentioned are freshmen.

And they just allowed one of the top rushing offenses in the nation a mere 246 TOTAL yards of offense.

They only had a mere 246 yards of offense because of three turnovers and a kick return. They went almost a full quarter without an offensive play run.

And our issues are bigger than youth. Disorganization, blown assignments, personal foul penalties, missed tackles, dropped passes, questionable effort. All of those things are coaching points and most of them are directly tied to effort and discipline.

PMDawg
09-16-2019, 04:10 PM

At this point, I have to wonder if you're not just an Ole Miss troll. Could be the greatest troll job ever.

Coach007
09-16-2019, 04:16 PM
They only had a mere 246 yards of offense because of three turnovers and a kick return. They went almost a full quarter without an offensive play run.

And our issues are bigger than youth. Disorganization, blown assignments, personal foul penalties, missed tackles, dropped passes, questionable effort. All of those things are coaching points and most of them are directly tied to effort and discipline.

Those things can be contributed to true freshmen and younger guys in general learning. Personal fouls....?? We are next to last in the SEC in penalties. We have had WAY fewer dropped passes this season BY A TON!

Bubb Rubb
09-16-2019, 04:45 PM
Those things can be contributed to true freshmen and younger guys in general learning. Personal fouls....?? We are next to last in the SEC in penalties. We have had WAY fewer dropped passes this season BY A TON!

Yep, I think PMDawg has you pegged.

Coursesuper
09-16-2019, 05:02 PM
And that Joe is off the the best start since Allen Mckeen has absolutely zero barring on anything. The two are not mutually dependent.

Coach007
09-16-2019, 05:04 PM
At this point, I have to wonder if you're not just an Ole Miss troll. Could be the greatest troll job ever.

Wonder what ever you want. But that's the facts.

Sienfield
09-16-2019, 05:50 PM
I think Coach007 may be that Liverpool guy in disguise.

Hambone
09-16-2019, 06:08 PM

BS, if you?re going to play that card he?s 2-1. You can?t claim the losses if you are taking away the wins. Those same players played in the losses as well. Vacate them 17ers as well

msstate7
09-16-2019, 06:12 PM
BS, if you?re going to play that card he?s 2-1. You can?t claim the losses if you are taking away the wins. Those same players played in the losses as well. Vacate them 17ers as well

Lol

BogeyGolfer
09-16-2019, 06:20 PM

Mullen is a heck of a coach who proved he can win here on a consistent basis. The job Mullen did from the team we had in 2008 to 2009/2010 was unreal. Relf could't throw a pass downfield in 2008, and Mullen turned him into one of the winningest Qb's in Miss. State history. Please do not compare Jomo and Mullen at this point. If you can't see the difference in the way the two " coached" teams approach all aspects of a game then I don't know what to tell you....

I seen it dawg
09-16-2019, 06:33 PM
Mullen is a heck of a coach who proved he can win here on a consistent basis. The job Mullen did from the team we had in 2008 to 2009/2010 was unreal. Relf could't throw a pass downfield in 2008, and Mullen turned him into one of the winningest Qb's in Miss. State history. Please do not compare Jomo and Mullen at this point. If you can't see the difference in the way the two " coached" teams approach all aspects of a game then I don't know what to tell you....

Mullen was a 6-8 game winner

I seen it dawg
09-16-2019, 06:34 PM
Mullen was a 6-8 game winner

Moorhead also getting his first dose of SEC football. And first experience as a HC in the biggest league in football

Big4Dawg
09-16-2019, 06:51 PM

The west now vs the west in Mullen's early years is night and day. Ole Miss and Arkansas were actually good then.

BogeyGolfer
09-16-2019, 06:55 PM
Moorhead also getting his first dose of SEC football. And first experience as a HC in the biggest league in football

Jomo won't last more than 3-4 years tops....Bet on that. He just isn't ready to be a big time coach at this level. I think he is a very smart guy but seems to be lacking the "it" factor and makes really bad in game decisions....

TALL DAWG
09-16-2019, 07:06 PM

Yes, this man speaks the truth!
Thank u!

Tbonewannabe
09-16-2019, 07:09 PM
Not really relevant to your post and will probably derail thread and I apologize in advance....I'll get roasted for this and I don't give a shit bc I'm right but Mullen had zero to do with Sweat coming here

Mullen hired whoever got him to Starkville so he gets credit.

Really Clark?
09-16-2019, 07:17 PM
We played the most difficult schedule in all of college football in Mullen’s first year. A better read and pitch by Tyson and Dixon scores to beat LSU. Without a horrible ref job vs Houston we probably win that game as well. To take our offense with the players we had and make them look like they actually knew what to do was a big improvement from Croom. 2008 Auburn 3 MSU 2...180 degree turnaround from 2008 to 2009. Not to mention from 2009 through 2012 was historically the mist difficult one division of any conference. Especially 2010 and 2011. No division has ever been that dominate. Unprecedented

MaroonFlounder
09-16-2019, 08:28 PM

Technically, Joe is 2-6. Thanks to tutorgate.

I seen it dawg
09-16-2019, 08:43 PM
Mullen hired whoever got him to Starkville so he gets credit.

Lol ok. But that's about the extent of it. I'll move on.

I seen it dawg
09-16-2019, 08:44 PM
Technically, Joe is 2-6. Thanks to tutorgate.

If you vacate wins don't you vacate losses too?

I seen it dawg
09-16-2019, 08:44 PM
Jomo won't last more than 3-4 years tops....Bet on that. He just isn't ready to be a big time coach at this level. I think he is a very smart guy but seems to be lacking the "it" factor and makes really bad in game decisions....

And that may end up being the case. I'm not there yet.

DownwardDawg
09-16-2019, 09:09 PM

As others have stated, Mullen inherited Relf. He just didn?t decide to play him until the last game of the season, where he ran all over ole miss.
I get mad at all coaches. They all do some stupid stuff. Hell, I?ve seen Saban make some retarded decisions during games. We watched Mullen make multiple mistakes early in his stint here and we were extremely patient. Yet our fan base doesn?t want to let Joe have a pass at all in his first SEC experience.

Coach007
09-16-2019, 09:11 PM
We played the most difficult schedule in all of college football in Mullen’s first year. A better read and pitch by Tyson and Dixon scores to beat LSU. Without a horrible ref job vs Houston we probably win that game as well. To take our offense with the players we had and make them look like they actually knew what to do was a big improvement from Croom. 2008 Auburn 3 MSU 2...180 degree turnaround from 2008 to 2009. Not to mention from 2009 through 2012 was historically the mist difficult one division of any conference. Especially 2010 and 2011. No division has ever been that dominate. Unprecedented

Do we get to use that standard for Moorhead.

1- Had balls been caught, Moorhead would have beaten UF.
2- Had the refs this weekend senn the blocks in the back vs K-St, we wing that.

Really Clark?
09-16-2019, 09:37 PM
Do we get to use that standard for Moorhead.

1- Had balls been caught, Moorhead would have beaten UF.
2- Had the refs this weekend senn the blocks in the back vs K-St, we wing that.

As far as the LSU game, different situation when it’s the last play of the game at the goal line vs a dropped pass much earlier in the game with plenty of time left. Very different situations.

Sure you can say Houston and K State is push.

The issue with your point is where the program was (that encompasses a lot more than just players but also a winning mindset, culture change, etc) when Mullen took over and had to play the most difficult schedule in the country his first season. And if we expand that through the first 4 years, it’s not an apples to apples comparison within our division. Heck we finished 5th in the SEC West in 2010 and still ranked 15th in the country...only losses in our division...that’s a historic level of competition.

Cooterpoot
09-16-2019, 09:42 PM
Meow

TrapGame
09-16-2019, 09:44 PM
As others have stated, Mullen inherited Relf. He just didn?t decide to play him until the last game of the season, where he ran all over ole miss.
I get mad at all coaches. They all do some stupid stuff. Hell, I?ve seen Saban make some retarded decisions during games. We watched Mullen make multiple mistakes early in his stint here and we were extremely patient. Yet our fan base doesn?t want to let Joe have a pass at all in his first SEC experience.

Mullen is still making boneheaded decisions at Florida. We all saw it Saturday night. His clock management is still atrocious.

Dawgology
09-16-2019, 11:04 PM
If you vacate wins don't you vacate losses too?

No. You just vacate wins.

BrunswickDawg
09-17-2019, 05:48 AM
Mullen is still making boneheaded decisions at Florida. We all saw it Saturday night. His clock management is still atrocious.

And running Perine is about the same as running Holloway up the middle. 27 yards on 14 carries?? That's not good

basedog
09-17-2019, 06:53 AM
I just can't understand WHY you guys are talking so much about Mullen and the past! Mullen is gone and ain't coming back, why compare it doesn't make Joe any better or worse. Time will tell when it's time for a change but it ain't year two after a 2-1 start. Bitching about who we beat isn't Joe's fault, he didn't make the schedule. As far as Mullen and since I tuned in to this crap post, Mullen was no world beater when it came to ranked teams we played. Fact is we've never been in a situation with a Coach who consistently put us at the top of the league, hell we only won the Sec maybe one time ever! We have improved since JWS, we have a bad run with Croom, Joe's time hasn't given us enough to know just yet where we are going.

Let's beat Kentucky, 3-1 is important for this season. I'm not impressed with Kentucky's offense, I don't think they will score a lot against us unless we turn the ball over. 27-20 Dawgs

Dawg2003
09-17-2019, 07:26 AM
When all this is said and done, last year will end up being the best year of the Moorhead era. He's just not a good head coach. He doesn't hold his players accountable. Last year, we still had some kids with the old, tough mentality.

Scared_Hitless
09-17-2019, 08:17 AM
In honesty Mullen inherited a better roster than ppl think. Here are guys we would define as impact players on his original depth chart.

Anthony Dixon, Derek Sherrod, Chad Bumphis, Marcus Green offensively looks like we were limited back then as well. Also his QB was Tyson Lee but should have been Relf from the start. Advantage Mullen here he had less than JoMo.

on D we had Pernell Mcphee, Kyle Love, Josh Boyd, Fletcher Cox, Nick Bell, KJ Wright, Jamar Chaney, Chris White, Charles Mitchell as starters. All of these guys played on NFL teams. Still advantage Mullen, but much closer than ppl realize. ** Edited to add Nick Bell did not play in the NFL but was a great player before his untimely passing and had a bright future.

JoMo went 8-4 and Mullen went 5-7. We had some players on both squads that were recruited as JUCOs by both teams. We need skill position help in the worst way and have for 10 years. A good RB is not enough.