PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead is not a very good head coach right now, but

Johnson85
09-16-2019, 10:52 AM
I think people need to step back from the ledge. We sort of knew he wasn't a great head coach based on last year. This year we are learning that if you take the team we had on paper coming into the year, and then you
1) take away his best DT, an extremely thin position for us to begin with
2) take away his best LB, who is also probably our best defensive player and one of only two legitimate stars on defense
3) injure his starting QB, which was a position we were already in trouble with before getting lucky through the transfer portal,
4) take away his best CB for a half, is is probably our second best defensive player (if not our best) and the other legitimate star on defense
5) take away his second string RB, leaving him with a true freshman to protect his true freshman QB that has been thrust into playing

he's not a good enough coach to overcome that.

I'm not sure that tells us any more about Moorhead than we knew about him last year. If Mayden was not suspended, then I think it would be a bad sign that he couldn't make Mayden or Key serviceable as a backup in a year. As it is, I don't think we have a lot more information based on the fact that we lost to KSU under those circumstances.

My biggest disappointment in Moorhead is that I get sick of watching our defense being chirpy while getting their ass handed to them. I'm sure part of the reason we got such shit calls against UK last year was that we had a team that was easy for the refs to hate. If it was annoying to me as a fan I can't imagine how shitty we must seem to neutral parties (and I can't imagine how bad the calls would be against non-neutral refs v. Bama if we actually made a game of it). I think he absolutely needs somebody to help him with discipline. For everything. STrength and conditioning, effort at practice and on the field, discplinary issues, etc. We've gotten really soft, really quick, and I am guessing he just doesn't have the personality to fix that.

At this point, Moorhead gets a full team against UK, UT, UM, and everybody but Autry against Arkansas. If he can win those, I'll still feel ok. He's upping the talent level. He should hopefully continue to improve and hopefully can make some staff adjustments to address some of this staff's weaknesses. He's got a shit show at UM and Akransas to give him a little more margin for error than most state coaches would. We don't look to have any juggernauts OOC for the next couple of years. The biggest deal is he just needs to make a decent enough showing that he can continue to recruit well. If he wins those games, I feel like that will show he is at least a pretty good coach. Maybe not good enough to get us to the next level, but good enough to not reset us the way Arkansas and UM are having to.

If he really does suck and he manages to lose one or more of those games, then all the injuries and suspensions might be a blessing because it will give him an excuse for this year and hopefully let him get one more good recruiting class in the boat before recruits lose confidence.

ShotgunDawg
09-16-2019, 10:55 AM
He's lost 4 games in 16 career games in which he was a 6.5 point favorite or better. Apparently Vegas thinks much more of us than our own fans do

MetEdDawg
09-16-2019, 11:24 AM
He's lost 4 games in 16 career games in which he was a 6.5 point favorite or better. Apparently Vegas thinks much more of us than our own fans do

Yeah but this board is notorious for not giving a crap what others think unless it fits their narrative. We had people laughing at tons of offseason strength and poll rankings having us too high. But then when some on here project we win 6 or 7 games and we look like a 6 or 7 win team they get pissed.

We were a 7 point home favorite healthy. Vegas couldn't predict Stevens would go down. Or Cam would not be available. They can't predict when Gay will play. Gibson being out. So that 7 point line you like is worthless when you don't have that many people available or go down with injury. And you should know that.

msstate7
09-16-2019, 11:26 AM
Yeah but this board is notorious for not giving a crap what others think unless it fits their narrative. We had people laughing at tons of offseason strength and poll rankings having us too high. But then when some on here project we win 6 or 7 games and we look like a 6 or 7 win team they get pissed.

We were a 7 point home favorite healthy. Vegas couldn't predict Stevens would go down. Or Cam would not be available. They can't predict when Gay will play. Gibson being out. So that 7 point line you like is worthless when you don't have that many people available or go down with injury. And you should know that.

What about the other 3?

ETA... didn't you say bet the farm on state? Now you backtrack

TrapGame
09-16-2019, 11:30 AM

Nobody wants reason on this board. They want blood.

MetEdDawg
09-16-2019, 11:32 AM
What about the other 3?

ETA... didn't you say bet the farm on state? Now you backtrack

Not sure what more you want from me. Already I've admitted I was wrong. Is my opinion wrong now too because we lost? Guess you want me to not comment anymore now since we lost is that how this works?

What about the other 3? Fitz was not good. Should have beaten Kentucky. Florida toss up. But what do you want me to say other than I was wrong? I just don't get your angle here. I didn't expect Stevens to go down. Didn't expect no Cam. Gibson down. I mean come on. Y'all are acting like a bunch of teenage girls. You would much rather be right about Moorhead sucking than us being good and you being wrong. That's the only thing I can think of as to why you keep calling people out for this.

R2Dawg
09-16-2019, 11:33 AM
The minimum for him this year now is beat UK, UT, OM, and Ark. Do that and we can at least feel like we are maintaining our position in the SEC even though we have been owning TAMU, not happening this year. We can't let UT, UK, Ark or OM get ahead of us. No excuse considering the talent we have.

Agree suspensions, injuries and coaching learning curve puts us in a hole but that is why he makes the big bucks so time to earn it.

Tbonewannabe
09-16-2019, 11:56 AM
The minimum for him this year now is beat UK, UT, OM, and Ark. Do that and we can at least feel like we are maintaining our position in the SEC even though we have been owning TAMU, not happening this year. We can't let UT, UK, Ark or OM get ahead of us. No excuse considering the talent we have.

Agree suspensions, injuries and coaching learning curve puts us in a hole but that is why he makes the big bucks so time to earn it.

I have always said 6 wins minimum; no bowl game and I think we need to look for a new coach unless it is some kind of crazy things happening. The suspensions and having your starting QB hurt does factor into that but UK is down their QB so no excuse there.

We can still get to 7 wins but 8 is a big uphill battle. Honestly, Moorhead needs to upset AU, A&M, or LSU to get the fans back behind him. I think most are at best on the fence just waiting for the next shoe to drop. People like me who have supported him now have that one foot on the other side. I will be supportive through all the games this year but losing one of the winnable games and then looking like crap in the other 4 losses will not sit well with me.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-16-2019, 11:56 AM
Losing is easier to handle if you look well prepared and put out the effort. I understand he got a bad hand with the suspensions, but that affects play calling on 3rd and 2 , regression in special teams, and dumb penalties? We lack discipline and are soft. Are we facing a leadership vacuum in the locker room with all the experience we lost, similar to after Dak left?

Tbonewannabe
09-16-2019, 11:58 AM
Losing is easier to handle if you look well prepared and put out the effort. I understand he got a bad hand with the suspensions, but that affects play calling on 3rd and 2 , regression in special teams, and dumb penalties? We lack discipline and are soft. Are we facing a leadership vacuum in the locker room with all the experience we lost, similar to after Dak left?

It is honestly like he thinks too hard about what to do. Sure, if you can hit a pass play on 3rd and 2, it could possibly turn into a big play but that is a lot bigger gamble than just moving the chains. It is like he wants to outsmart the other guy so he doesn't want to do the obvious move.

WinningIsRelentless
09-16-2019, 12:09 PM
It is honestly like he thinks too hard about what to do. Sure, if you can hit a pass play on 3rd and 2, it could possibly turn into a big play but that is a lot bigger gamble than just moving the chains. It is like he wants to outsmart the other guy so he doesn't want to do the obvious move.

His key stat of explosive plays should tell you all you need to know. Their is a big difference between a good play and a good play call. Just go back and watch Saban chewing Joe Freshwater at least once a game during that tenure.

Dawgfan77
09-16-2019, 12:11 PM
SloMo is like Felker. Nice guy and a good recruiter but is not a good HC

dawgday166
09-16-2019, 12:12 PM
His key stat of explosive plays should tell you all you need to know. Their is a big difference between a good play and a good play call. Just go back and watch Saban chewing Joe Freshwater at least once a game during that tenure.

How we doing on that key stat against the stellar competition we've faced this year? We had one against KSU. I'm trying to think of some others. Explosive play is what ... 20 yds or greater?

Johnson85
09-16-2019, 12:29 PM

How is that responsive to anything? I doubt Vegas knew whether Stevens was healthy or whether Autry or Gay would play or whether Cam would be out a half or whether Gibson would be available, etc. This wasn't a worse loss than UK, UF, or Iowa last year. Wasn't anywhere near as bad. As galling as it is to lose to KSU and get pushed around, I doubt there were many times in our history where we wouldn't be really shitty if you took away our starting QB, best DT, best LB, and then second string RB.

confucius say
09-16-2019, 12:34 PM
How is that responsive to anything? I doubt Vegas knew whether Stevens was healthy or whether Autry or Gay would play or whether Cam would be out a half or whether Gibson would be available, etc. This wasn't a worse loss than UK, UF, or Iowa last year. Wasn't anywhere near as bad. As galling as it is to lose to KSU and get pushed around, I doubt there were many times in our history where we wouldn't be really shitty if you took away our starting QB, best DT, best LB, and then second string RB.

Especially against a top 25 team.

Cooterpoot
09-16-2019, 12:36 PM
The excuse of missing defensive players is just wrong. Defense just played poorly the first half. We missed Cam and Stevens but neither play special teams this year, where we got destroyed. We were poorly prepared.

Fader21
09-16-2019, 12:41 PM
I think the reason so many fans want Moorhead gone is because technically he is following a legend at the school. Yes, Dan is a MSU legend.

Ray Perkins lasted 4 years at Bama after the Bear
Elton Wieman lasted 2 years at Michigan after Yost
Took 10 years for Notre Dame to rebound after Knute Rockne
Ron Zook lasted 3 years after Spurrier left the Gators

Now I am not saying Dan Mullen is in the same breathe as these 4 college football greats, but he did turn around the program at MSU who isn't a college football power like we want to think it is. Fans are always going to be upset with the guy after a winner that doesn't produce right off the bat even though I would say Moorhead is currently a successful head coach with a winning record at MSU.

Johnson85
09-16-2019, 12:51 PM
The excuse of missing defensive players is just wrong. Defense just played poorly the first half.

You don't think missing your three best players is relevant to how poorly the defense plays?

We missed Cam and Stevens but neither play special teams this year, where we got destroyed. We were poorly prepared.

Yes, because Moorhead is not a very good head coach right now. But there's no reason to be losing it right now compared to last year. It sucks, but we're in the same position with Moorhead at the beginning of the season. There are some disturbing early signs and we can be pretty sure he's not a very good head coach right now, but we won't know if he's ok or maybe even pretty good until we see him with a QB that fits his system that's not a true freshman.

PMDawg
09-16-2019, 01:48 PM
I think people need to step back from the ledge. We sort of knew he wasn't a great head coach based on last year. This year we are learning that if you take the team we had on paper coming into the year, and then you
1) take away his best DT, an extremely thin position for us to begin with
2) take away his best LB, who is also probably our best defensive player and one of only two legitimate stars on defense
3) injure his starting QB, which was a position we were already in trouble with before getting lucky through the transfer portal,
4) take away his best CB for a half, is is probably our second best defensive player (if not our best) and the other legitimate star on defense
5) take away his second string RB, leaving him with a true freshman to protect his true freshman QB that has been thrust into playing

he's not a good enough coach to overcome that.

I'm not sure that tells us any more about Moorhead than we knew about him last year. If Mayden was not suspended, then I think it would be a bad sign that he couldn't make Mayden or Key serviceable as a backup in a year. As it is, I don't think we have a lot more information based on the fact that we lost to KSU under those circumstances.

My biggest disappointment in Moorhead is that I get sick of watching our defense being chirpy while getting their ass handed to them. I'm sure part of the reason we got such shit calls against UK last year was that we had a team that was easy for the refs to hate. If it was annoying to me as a fan I can't imagine how shitty we must seem to neutral parties (and I can't imagine how bad the calls would be against non-neutral refs v. Bama if we actually made a game of it). I think he absolutely needs somebody to help him with discipline. For everything. STrength and conditioning, effort at practice and on the field, discplinary issues, etc. We've gotten really soft, really quick, and I am guessing he just doesn't have the personality to fix that.

At this point, Moorhead gets a full team against UK, UT, UM, and everybody but Autry against Arkansas. If he can win those, I'll still feel ok. He's upping the talent level. He should hopefully continue to improve and hopefully can make some staff adjustments to address some of this staff's weaknesses. He's got a shit show at UM and Akransas to give him a little more margin for error than most state coaches would. We don't look to have any juggernauts OOC for the next couple of years. The biggest deal is he just needs to make a decent enough showing that he can continue to recruit well. If he wins those games, I feel like that will show he is at least a pretty good coach. Maybe not good enough to get us to the next level, but good enough to not reset us the way Arkansas and UM are having to.

If he really does suck and he manages to lose one or more of those games, then all the injuries and suspensions might be a blessing because it will give him an excuse for this year and hopefully let him get one more good recruiting class in the boat before recruits lose confidence.

I'm not a huge fan of Moorhead's. Last year made me a doubter. This year hasn't helped so far. But he's getting the rest of this year and more than likely next year. That's only fair (unless we win like 1 or 2 more games this year). So he's here, so let's stop with over the top rhetoric.

From where I stand, he can easily save himself - he's not too far gone. However, the trends are negative, so I don't have much faith that he will. I hope he does. I hope in 3 years we are all looking back at these threads and wondering why people ever wanted the guy fired. Again, that's not what I think will happen, but what I want to happen.

Tbonewannabe
09-16-2019, 02:18 PM
How we doing on that key stat against the stellar competition we've faced this year? We had one against KSU. I'm trying to think of some others. Explosive play is what ... 20 yds or greater?

I think it is a 15 yard run or 20 yard pass.

Dawgology
09-16-2019, 02:23 PM
Don't worry. He will be a GREAT coach in about 4 more years. Once he has no injuries on his team at all and recruits the exact athletes that he needs at each position at 4 star or above ranking. He will be great.

I seen it dawg
09-16-2019, 02:42 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Moorhead's. Last year made me a doubter. This year hasn't helped so far. But he's getting the rest of this year and more than likely next year. That's only fair (unless we win like 1 or 2 more games this year). So he's here, so let's stop with over the top rhetoric.

From where I stand, he can easily save himself - he's not too far gone. However, the trends are negative, so I don't have much faith that he will. I hope he does. I hope in 3 years we are all looking back at these threads and wondering why people ever wanted the guy fired. Again, that's not what I think will happen, but what I want to happen.

This is an outstanding post.

timotheus
09-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Well said