PDA

View Full Version : Let's take a 2020 look at the DL

Coach007
09-15-2019, 10:53 PM
This seems to be the issue we all talk about. So let's see where we are next year:

I see a ton of talent so far on the DL

Key 290 DT Juco
Jackson DT Jr
Love DT Jr

Lovett- So
Crumedy- So
Young - So
Robinson- So
Pickering -SO

Who do you have starting? Key seems to be a bad ass.

At DE:

Davis- Juco
Lawson- Juco
McCRae- Juco

Jones- Sr
Spencer- Sr

Russell- So
Odom- So

Who are we looking at on the DL?

Does this group make you feel better about the future/next year?

msu15
09-15-2019, 11:11 PM
Pretty sure Love will be a Sophomore. The staff also wants McCrae to gain weight and be a DT.

Coach007
09-15-2019, 11:14 PM
Pretty sure Love will be a Sophomore. The staff also wants McCrae to gain weight and be a DT.

Love is a So this year.

Does Hailstate have that listed wrong? This is what they have:

2018 SOPHOMORE SEASON: Saw action in four games at defensive tackle.

2017 TRUE FRESHMAN SEASON: Redshirted during his first year with the program.

If he redshirted in 2017, then 2018 would be a RS Freshman. 2019, RS Sophomore

Todd4State
09-15-2019, 11:14 PM
If you want to feel even better- look at our entire lineup for 2021.

I think that's the year we finally achieve balance and have a mostly junior/senior laden team.

QB- Shrader (probably) 4*
RB- Marks 4* and Witherspoon 3* who was underrated
WR- Heath 4*
WR- Austin Williams 3* who was underrated and blew up combines
WR- Tulu 4* or maybe Ducking who is a 3*
TE- Spivey and or Cumbest who are both 3* with high upside at a role position
Lots of four star skill guys including at QB. Or very obviously productive 3* guys with really high upside who will be upperclassmen. If Key and Whop stay that's two more 4* guys.

LT- Cross- 5*
LG- Dolcine- 3*
C- Cole Smith- 3* but also an UA All-American
RG- James Jackson- 3* who I think gets moved back by 2021 because of DL depth
RT- Dolla Bill- 4*

That's a 4 and a 5 star and an UA All-American at the most critical positions on the o-line. I think Dolcine could be underrated. Jackson is a high caliber player from a work ethic standpoint who could be a fifth year senior leader.

DE- Russell- 4* and Lawson 3*
DT- Key 3* who is underrated and Crumedy 4*
DT- Lovett 4* and Pickering 4*
DE- Jordan Davis 4*

LB- Brule- High 3* who is ridiculously athletic
LB- Jett Johnson 3*
LB- Wheat 3*

Our defensive line in 2021 is going to be almost two deep with four stars. I don't know that there is a Simmons and Sweat in the group but that's likely higher rating wise than last year's group. From a recruiting ratings standpoint we probably could stand to get some 4* guys at LB but reality is it would be nice if we could pick up a 5 star talent like a Nakobe Dean that could come in and have an impact right away.

CB- Jones- 4*/Forbes 4* by the end of the year?
CB- Tyler Williams- Underrated 3*/ Emerson- Underrated 3*
S- Marcus Murphy- 4*/Dillion Johnson- 4*
S- Landon Guidry- 3* /Janari Dean- 4*

That's a secondary that's also littered with 4 star guys throughout the two deep. That's going to give us flexibility in nickel and dime packages.

K/P/KO- Scott Goodman.

Really this is probably going to be our biggest need next year with Christmann and Day leaving after 2020. Of course, kicker recruiting is a different animal.

My point to all of this is pretty much all of those players in the starting column except for I think 1-2 are going to be in the program for three years at that point- whether they redshirt this year or not. That's essentially what we had in 2014. And that's what we have to have to reach our ceiling every year in football.

Todd4State
09-15-2019, 11:16 PM
Also- we play Vanderbilt in 2021. When we have special seasons- often times we have had them on the schedule. 1980, 1998, 1999, and 2014 come to mind immediately.

I believe we play NC State in Starkville that year too.

Commercecomet24
09-15-2019, 11:20 PM
Also- we play Vanderbilt in 2021. When we have special seasons- often times we have had them on the schedule. 1980, 1998, 1999, and 2014 come to mind immediately.

I believe we play NC State in Starkville that year too.

We are definitely increasing the level of talent we have on the roster.

Coach007
09-15-2019, 11:23 PM
I think the next 3 seasons are going to be special with opportunities to excel so long as recruiting matches what we are seeing. The rotations on that DL are monstrous.

Next year, our OL, QB, WRs, and RBs will be great. While the defense is still young, you have to like the experience they are getting now. If Danztler stays and if Hill stays... we are set.

Coach007
09-15-2019, 11:28 PM

We are.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-15-2019, 11:31 PM

Yep Moorhead can recruit, no doubt about it. Seems better than most at balancing the class based on the roster needs too

Commercecomet24
09-15-2019, 11:34 PM
Yep Moorhead can recruit, no doubt about it. Seems better than most at balancing the class based on the roster needs too

I like the way he's working to balance our roster something we really haven't had. Now he's got to make it work .

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-15-2019, 11:41 PM
I like the way he's working to balance our roster something we really haven't had. Now he's got to make it work .

And DEVELOP! I think State fans take it for granted we'll get stars from our 4* and solid players from our 3*s with improvements in play from year to year, but the reality is many programs suck at development Tennessee always has better classes than us, look at them. Arkansas usually had similar classes to us, look at them

Coach007
09-15-2019, 11:47 PM
And DEVELOP! I think State fans take it for granted we'll get stars from our 4* and solid players from our 3*s with improvements in play from year to year, but the reality is many programs suck at development Tennessee always has better classes than us, look at them. Arkansas usually had similar classes to us, look at them

ALL true.

BuckyIsAB****
09-15-2019, 11:48 PM
If we want to get the most out of Dean he will play RB. He is probably the best player in the state but aint ranked like it

Todd4State
09-15-2019, 11:54 PM

And doing it while balancing out the roster. We're not just taking fillers. Really a matter of developing it at this point. Which is why I'm being patient for now.

I think that was the worst thing about Dan's recruiting. He would just leave spots with literally no one. That's how you end up with a situation like we did at WR last year- and DT this year. And I think that's the biggest thing that has kept us from taking the next step up.

Absolutely. That to me will tell the tale. Looking at our projected one deep the biggest needs I see are at K/P which is a totally different animal in recruiting and maybe LB. But even if we don't add a four star JUCO LB it wouldn't be a situation that I would think would be critical as far as needs go as far as two years out.

I think the next 3 seasons are going to be special with opportunities to excel so long as recruiting matches what we are seeing. The rotations on that DL are monstrous.

Next year, our OL, QB, WRs, and RBs will be great. While the defense is still young, you have to like the experience they are getting now. If Danztler stays and if Hill stays... we are set.

Next year will be sort of like 2017 with all of the JUCO's coming in. The thing is I kind of doubt that we have two future first round picks in that group- but I hope I'm wrong. I don't think we can realistically count on either of those two staying.

The 2021 HS class in Mississippi is looking good at least at the skill positions and there are some really good CB prospects already emerging as well. We really need to clean house with that group. Hopefully the DL, LB, and OL prospects will emerge like they typically do in Mississippi their junior year. LB is probably going to be our biggest need- and I'm talking about legit 4 star prospect.

Todd4State
09-16-2019, 12:00 AM
If we want to get the most out of Dean he will play RB. He is probably the best player in the state but aint ranked like it

I don't understand why he isn't ranked higher other than the typical recruiting BS that we have to deal with. We currently have several guys that are ranked as three stars that really probably should be four stars- and Dean is absolutely one of them.

I'm sure that we will be promised that they will be re-ranked after the MS HS All-Star Game but it will really only be 1-2 guys that get the proper ranking. Cooley from Wayne County only being a three star right now is laughable as well. Forbes from Grenada I'm pretty sure will end up being a 4 star by the end of the recruiting year as well.

Commercecomet24
09-16-2019, 12:29 AM

Absolutely true. Developments always the key for any program in any sport.

R2Dawg
09-16-2019, 11:51 AM
All this makes me wish Joe would give up playcalling and hire an OC. He seems to be able to recruit. We just need the O equivalent to Shoops and get JM out of the way to some degree.

Homedawg
09-16-2019, 11:58 AM
This seems to be the issue we all talk about. So let's see where we are next year:

I see a ton of talent so far on the DL

Key 290 DT Juco
Jackson DT Jr
Love DT Jr

Lovett- So
Crumedy- So
Young - So
Robinson- So
Pickering -SO

Who do you have starting? Key seems to be a bad ass.

At DE:

Davis- Juco
Lawson- Juco
McCRae- Juco

Jones- Sr
Spencer- Sr

Russell- So
Odom- So

Who are we looking at on the DL?

Does this group make you feel better about the future/next year?
I like the juco additions. Usually takes a bit to get them up to speed. Lovett, and Crumedy are going to get better. Won't have much depth at DE. Don't expect anything out of Love.