PDA

View Full Version : Alternate take on the game after calming down and reviewing game stats

R2Dawg
09-15-2019, 02:22 PM
I was as disappointed as any we lost the way we lost but looking at the stats, it tells a different story. The eye test in the second half said a lot too. I think we put too much in how bad we started the game and how KSU was more prepared than us. Once we settled in, the law of average settled out and we were not as bad as most of us thought.

We out rushed them, out yardage them, out first down them, out TOP them, had less tackles (that is good), higher yards per rush, and other stats. Our D is not last year by a long shot, but our D may be more bend don't break and a little better than I thought. 269 when KSU was averaging over 500 is not bad. UL scored over 70 and USM 48 last week.

Our TO were worse than theirs. We were on scoring drive in their territory on one TO and fumbled deep inside our own on another. The kick return was the game, somewhat a lucky play since a blatant block in the back on the ball was overlooked.

Jo still got work to do to win me back to a degree and we must show improvement. We can beat Ark, OM, UT, and maybe either Aub or TAMU if we improve and get some players healthy and back.

We are still sorting through rotations, injuries, suspensions and freshmen. If we get focused, we can rebound from this. It could be like last year UF where we let a real winnable game get away. Season ain't over yet, I'll be there Saturday. Hail State.

Commercecomet24
09-15-2019, 02:29 PM
We had outscored them 24-7 since they led 10-0 and
Held them to -4 yards rushing in the second half and then the kickoff return happened. Turned
the game completely. We definitely have things to fix, but I want to see how we finish the season. We battling a lot of adversity early this year thanks to 10 knuckleheads

wild_dawg
09-15-2019, 02:55 PM
Ready for Saturday so (hopefully) we can get this nasty taste out of our mouths

Todd4State
09-15-2019, 04:25 PM
We still would have defeated them wit a healthy Stevens.

Joe does have to do a better job of getting the team ready for every single game though. Honestly that's my biggest gripe with him at this point. No excuse for coming out that flat Saturday.

TrapGame
09-15-2019, 04:36 PM
A healthy Stevens. Autry and Gay playing. We'll beat UK.

Todd4State
09-15-2019, 04:39 PM

If there was one thing I was happy about yesterday it was the play of the defense in the second half. I think we are improving there. The first half was more about effort and being prepared but the second half we really shut them down. I think it will improve even more with Autry, Gay, and Murphy back.

For three games anyway now.

Commercecomet24
09-15-2019, 04:45 PM
If there was one thing I was happy about yesterday it was the play of the defense in the second half. I think we are improving there. The first half was more about effort and being prepared but the second half we really shut them down. I think it will improve even more with Autry, Gay, and Murphy back.

For three games anyway now.

This and shoop made some really good adjustments.

R2Dawg
09-15-2019, 07:06 PM

Autry and Gay are game changers. Autry changed the USM game as soon as he went in he started wrecking stuff. Hope both play this week, we need a solid win vs UK.

BorneDawg
09-15-2019, 09:10 PM
Was Dantzler out also? If so that's our 3 best d players out!

Commercecomet24
09-15-2019, 09:13 PM

Yeah cam tried to go but couldn't so we played jarrian and Emerson a ton 2 true freshman and they played well

HoopsDawg
09-15-2019, 09:27 PM

We had 6 starters out for the 2nd half.

TrapGame
09-15-2019, 09:51 PM

I forgot all about that. Man, just think if Dantzler played. We might have gotten a pick and a few deflected passes instead of some of those completions from KSU's QB.

DancingRabbit
09-15-2019, 10:05 PM

Why do we think Stevens will be healthy? I've been a Tommy cheerleader but I'm suspicious of him not being totally honest with the medical staff and Joe.

He wasn't ready. I hate the Joe-haters on social media, but he should have pulled Tommy on the first high sailed pass. Shouldn't take 7-8 of those.

From the rumor reports, Tommy didn't practice much last week. If he can't go 100% in practice, you get Shrader and KT ready. We should do a KT package for the right situation.

I was thinking a one point, hey our special teams are doing good, then the return TD. That was the difference in the game.

Cooterpoot
09-15-2019, 10:44 PM
It’s stupid to be happy about a game where we didn’t show up for a half. And then stunk up at the end because we folded up like a cheap lawn chair after one bad play. We’re soft as hell.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-15-2019, 11:23 PM
It’s stupid to be happy about a game where we didn’t show up for a half. And then stunk up at the end because we folded up like a cheap lawn chair after one bad play. We’re soft as hell.

Exactly. Everyone here is going "well, ST went bad, and Stevens was hurt, and Parker was out, and suspensions... you know, we'd have won if a couple of those went our way". And that's correct.

But my complaints have nothing to do with the actual W or L, it has to do with our play. ST is inexcusably poorly coached. The team literally gave up at the end in a way I've never seen any team do... if that doesn't scream culture problem I don't know what does. Add in the OL not playing physical, the playcalling being suspect, and I fear we're going downhill. Whether we won that game or not is irrelevant; what I saw on that field is a massive concern independent of the final score

MedDawg
09-16-2019, 08:20 AM
I forgot all about that. Man, just think if Dantzler played. We might have gotten a pick and a few deflected passes instead of some of those completions from KSU's QB.

Yeah. Besides the KO return for a TD, what really killed us were the two long completions to the tight end, including the winning TD. All of a sudden he was wide open, and having a starter in the defensive backfield (or our best LB) might have prevented that.

R2Dawg
09-16-2019, 11:46 AM
Yeah. Besides the KO return for a TD, what really killed us were the two long completions to the tight end, including the winning TD. All of a sudden he was wide open, and having a starter in the defensive backfield (or our best LB) might have prevented that.

Agree our pass coverage or lack of disappointed me as much as anything from Sat.