PDA

View Full Version : My early assessment of the game.

Lord McBuckethead
09-14-2019, 08:43 PM
First, hats off to KSU for fighting for the win. They came into our house and played harder than we did in every aspect of the game. If they didn't hand us two muffed punts, they would have cruised.

As far our the Bulldogs, i think we saw exactly what we have seen so far this season, but we lacked generating turnovers to mask our defensive short comings. I hate how chippy our guys are. Like they "know" they are better than the opponent. I have seen us do that in two distinct games to the level we showed our ass today, KSU and UK last year. Just wreaks of amatuer hour out there. Play with an edge, but do it celebrating a big catch, block, or stop. No need swinging at folks and bowing up on them. Guess what, you stink and they won easily.

Kylin had a pretty good game, but I would love to motion a WR to flash across the defense to give him an early step on the LBs. I like Kylin off tackle, but for some reason, and maybe some of you guys can teach me something here, we seem to focus him at the center of the line of scrimage. Their LBs did their job all day. They beat the blocks and put hands and pads on Kylin pretty much the entire game. So if it were me, I would have used tempo and kept pounding them with sweeps and screen passes until they show they could stop it. Instead, we do the stupid check with me crap, let the defense get set and adjusted, and then didn't really keep them guessing. Its bad when I know the play thats coming.

Slot receiver - Thomas had a catch, but other than that, we should have just put in another TE. We are just not using them.

I am not buying KT having an upper body. Simple thing is, KT in the game, maybe we win. Maybe he breaks one of those QB runs. Who knows.

Shrader, dang man. Love this kid. Really looking forward to him maturing and getting command of the offense. Personally, if Stevens isn't ready to go, I would rather him get the snaps, but you almost have to tell him to go through his progressions. We will lose games, but what he is learning is going to pay off next year or the following year.

Osiris Mitchell had a hell of a game and really 3 game stretch.

TE, didn't exist again in the passing game.

WR, nothing else to note from anyone else.

OL and DL, shit guys got their asses beat consistantly. We lost this game in the trenches. No other way to look at it. If they don't start to impose their will, we may only beat UM, Ark, and UT.

Alright, everyone remember these guys put it on the line for us and MSU. No need to run down specific players. If someone 17ed up, trust me they know it. If someone had a bad gane, they know it. No need for any of us couch qbs to talk shit about them.

So in conclusion:
Our tempo does us zero favors.
Our playcalling is predictable and boring.
Our team is really undeciplined, like last year. We do chippy shit that just makes our guys look like whiny bitches. Shut up and put points on the board. Your jawing when you are getting your ass beat is pathetic.
We are at best 2 dimensional. No sweeps, no TE, no slot looks, nothing that makes me think we have a plan on offense.

Hope we can figure it out, cause UK can beat us.

Sparrows2
09-14-2019, 08:50 PM
I just don’t get this
It’s like the QB position is invisible to MSU fans
We go from 2-0 with Stevens completing 70% of his passes to 11/27 and it’s like that disparity doesn’t exist.
It’s all about culture conditioning and effort
It’s really amazing

starkvegasdawg
09-14-2019, 09:26 PM
I just don’t get this
We go from 2-0 with Stevens completing 70% of his passes to 11/27 and it’s like that disparity doesn’t exist.
It’s really amazing

I just don't get how you think the qb position is the only issue this team has.

Todd4State
09-14-2019, 09:31 PM
I just don't get how you think the qb position is the only issue this team has.

We do have other issues but I see where he is coming from. A healthy Tommy Stevens and we probably win the game.

Lord McBuckethead
09-14-2019, 09:49 PM
Stevens healthy, we win.
But i think our team mentality is off on defense. We have consistantly shown through 3 games that we can be attacked. Everytime the opposing team throws the ball, I assume we are at best 5 yards away from the attended receiver. Everytime they run the ball, I assume they get around 6 yards before they are touched and then fall forward. We are just getting there a second late, and in our league, a second late makes for some long games.

Lord McBuckethead
09-14-2019, 09:51 PM
I just don’t get this
It’s really amazing

I disagree. Our qbs have taken some shots. With our TE, Slot, and RBs, our qb shouldn't be running the ball the way they have this season.

Todd4State
09-14-2019, 10:13 PM
Stevens healthy, we win.
But i think our team mentality is off on defense. We have consistantly shown through 3 games that we can be attacked. Everytime the opposing team throws the ball, I assume we are at best 5 yards away from the attended receiver. Everytime they run the ball, I assume they get around 6 yards before they are touched and then fall forward. We are just getting there a second late, and in our league, a second late makes for some long games.

I think today the issue with the defense was more a lack of focus in the first half. We basically shut them down the second half.

BuckyIsAB****
09-14-2019, 10:19 PM
I would love to see us run more quick game to go along with Kylin. Key screens, bubbles, shoot the H-back, but we dont do any of that much if at all.

The playbook may have been a lot thinner with Shrader in there and maybe our WRs cant block well on the perimeter but people acting like Moorhead is some offensive savant are wrong. He aint doing anything unique or difficult really to prepare for. He was a lot more creative at Penn St. Havent seen that much here and definitely didnt see it today

confucius say
09-14-2019, 11:09 PM
I would love to see us run more quick game to go along with Kylin. Key screens, bubbles, shoot the H-back, but we dont do any of that much if at all.

The playbook may have been a lot thinner with Shrader in there and maybe our WRs cant block well on the perimeter but people acting like Moorhead is some offensive savant are wrong. He aint doing anything unique or difficult really to prepare for. He was a lot more creative at Penn St. Havent seen that much here and definitely didnt see it today

Why you think that is?

BuckyIsAB****
09-14-2019, 11:14 PM
Why you think that is?

I dont know honestly. Its a big part of every spread team. Idk honestly its baffling. We throw shoot routes to our H back some but I honestly can recall the last time we threw a key or bubble screen. It would be damn good if you put Kylin in the slot and let him run the bubble put Farrod and Mitchell, whoever your next best blocker is on the perimeter with him. Then you can set up shot plays off of it, pump the bubble and throw the deep ball or the stick behind it

Todd4State
09-14-2019, 11:20 PM
I dont know honestly. Its a big part of every spread team. Idk honestly its baffling. We throw shoot routes to our H back some but I honestly can recall the last time we threw a key or bubble screen. It would be damn good if you put Kylin in the slot and let him run the bubble put Farrod and Mitchell, whoever your next best blocker is on the perimeter with him. Then you can set up shot plays off of it, pump the bubble and throw the deep ball or the stick behind it

Some of it probably has to do with the QB situation. It's either been Fitz who was limited, Stevens who mostly hasn't been 100%, or Shrader who is a freshman.

dawgday166
09-14-2019, 11:39 PM
Some of it probably has to do with the QB situation. It's either been Fitz who was limited, Stevens who mostly hasn't been 100%, or Shrader who is a freshman.

I just rewatched the game. I believe you're gonna find out going forward it's not limited QB play as much as it is this:

Guidry almost never gives 100% effort. Hill only does when he's getting the ball for sure. If he isn't, he won't block a soul, if he's a decoy he doesn't follow thru on his fakes, and if not primary receiver jogs out on his routes. If Hill does attempt to block someone it's usually someone who is already well blocked, not the guy who is breaking free or blitzing. He's gonna get our QBs killed yet again this year. I'm getting tired of watching both of those primadonnas. Either they ain't coached well or they ain't held accountable.

BrunswickDawg
09-15-2019, 07:10 AM
I just rewatched the game. I believe you're gonna find out going forward it's not limited QB play as much as it is this:

Guidry almost never gives 100% effort. Hill only does when he's getting the ball for sure. If he isn't, he won't block a soul, if he's a decoy he doesn't follow thru on his fakes, and if not primary receiver jogs out on his routes. If Hill does attempt to block someone it's usually someone who is already well blocked, not the guy who is breaking free or blitzing. He's gonna get our QBs killed yet again this year. I'm getting tired of watching both of those primadonnas. Either they ain't coached well or they ain't held accountable.

How is Joe going to hold them accountable? Bench Hill? The fans would go nuts. It's like when people were pissed at Mullen for not playing Josh Robinson - the kid was am immature head case who couldn't take care of business, but people went nuts his sophomore year that he wasn't on the field. People were mad last year that Hill wasn't used more - and yet it's easy to see why he wasn't. Breaking selfishness in players is hard to do.

timotheus
09-15-2019, 08:42 AM
JoMo needs to decide who is in charge then. 166 has hit the nail on the head. Not having dantzler, autry, gay and murphy are really hurting the D but at some point the law must be laid down and I'm starting to see that Jo is a bit too much of an intellectual type coach to get down in the weeds and motivate his players and get them to really "put out" like KSU did yesterday. The season was always going to boil down to how the team did against auburn, LSU, A&M and Bama anyways but now the UK and UT games are suspect when you combine QB situation and other injuries along with the suspensions. I'm betting the egg bowl will sho nuff be a hum dinger twenn 2 schools with not much to play for........