PDA

View Full Version : Memphis up 4-0 on the Confederates

CadaverDawg
04-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Top of 6th.

They play USM tomorrow night. They play a ton of games in the next two weeks....hopefully that equals a lot of losses due to their pitching depth issues.

Coach34
04-15-2013, 08:04 PM
I'm not surprised- they have a tough run coming up

RBritt
04-15-2013, 08:27 PM
I hope USM gives Tanner Mathis some chin music.

CadaverDawg
04-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Still 4-0 going to bottom of the 7th.

CadaverDawg
04-15-2013, 08:42 PM
I would love to see the Rebels start a 5 game week against unranked opponents with a loss to Memphis and Southern Miss. They've got fans thinking they're going to host with their upcoming schedule....but you can't lose all your midweek games like they don't matter at all.

I'm not sure what Memphis and USM's rpi's are, but I don't think CUSA has a single team with a RPI above like 30 or 40. I may be wrong though.

Would love for some of our baseball stats guys to tell me how important, if at all, games like Memphis and USM are to Ole Miss. What about losing to Tennessee? How bad does that hurt?

Coach34
04-15-2013, 08:50 PM
warrennolan.com is your friend

Coach34
04-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Jesus- Memphis has an RPI of 102, the Nasty Bunch rpi is 109....a loss to either is a killer

engie
04-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Both Memphis and USM have RPIS that are hovering right around 100.

It'd certainly hurt their resume', but won't be a death knell by any means...

CadaverDawg
04-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Jesus- Memphis has an RPI of 102, the Nasty Bunch rpi is 109....a loss to either is a killer

Was just about to post this^. And Tennessee is #69. The Rebs don't need to relax this week because they're playing the sisters of the poor.

engie
04-15-2013, 08:56 PM
A win for either against OM brings those RPIs into the 80ish range though probably, if not higher -- meaning that it really isn't that bad of a loss. They've already lost to Memphis once...

They are still on the outside looking in for the 4th host slot -- and in order to get it, they are going to have to really get on a roll here late...

CadaverDawg
04-15-2013, 09:06 PM
4-0 Bottom of the 8th. The Rebs just had bases loaded with 2 outs in the 8th, but their #5 hitter K'd.

Coach34
04-15-2013, 09:14 PM
4-0 Bottom of the 8th. The Rebs just had bases loaded with 2 outs in the 8th, but their #5 hitter K'd.

awwwwww

Todd4State
04-15-2013, 09:19 PM
One thing that is really not in Ole Miss's favor- they play at LSU during the final week of the season, and the week before that they play us.

Playing at Auburn- that's a small stadium, which could be an issue for them with their pitching and their general lack of power. Playing Kentucky at home- that's to their advantage, and they do have UT on the road- which they certainly could win that series, but I bet they lose at least one game.

At Arkansas State and at USM in Hattiesburg- those could be trap games for them. Their staff should be tired for tomorrow, and that's not in their favor.

Also- who the hell in college agrees to play five games in a row? I would rip Cohen for that. And yes, I know the Memphis game was a rainout and rescheduled, but I would tell them either Weds. or another open Tuesday, or we're playing Valley.

CadaverDawg
04-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Game Over. Rebs get shutout by Memphis 4-0

Coach34
04-15-2013, 09:25 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSaD6Lu9IOA

Todd4State
04-15-2013, 09:27 PM
I would love to see the Rebels start a 5 game week against unranked opponents with a loss to Memphis and Southern Miss. They've got fans thinking they're going to host with their upcoming schedule....but you can't lose all your midweek games like they don't matter at all.

I'm not sure what Memphis and USM's rpi's are, but I don't think CUSA has a single team with a RPI above like 30 or 40. I may be wrong though.

Would love for some of our baseball stats guys to tell me how important, if at all, games like Memphis and USM are to Ole Miss. What about losing to Tennessee? How bad does that hurt?

I think non-conference games sometimes come into play when you have two teams that are close- like us and Ole Miss. Honestly, the fact that we beat them head to head and the fact we have more SEC wins alone would probably be enough in this case, but us beating USM- which now has a winning record, winning at South Alabama, and Austin Peay at home will help us. We have no "bad losses" at this point- and the only way we are going to have one is if we lose to Oral Roberts at home. TCU not being as good as originally thought will also hurt Ole Miss. Their best win at this point is over Arkansas which as we all know has a low RPI and that was in Oxford.

CadaverDawg
04-15-2013, 09:33 PM

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_llxww9JyQa1qii6tmo1_250.gif

M.Fillmore
04-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Also- who the hell in college agrees to play five games in a row? I would rip Cohen for that. And yes, I know the Memphis game was a rainout and rescheduled, but I would tell them either Weds. or another open Tuesday, or we're playing Valley.

I am always amazed at how the former catcher Mike Bianco can abuse pitchers. I remember a pre-game interview that Yellum had with Bianco before Alan Horne (1st round pitcher who was drafted in the 30th round after Bianco) made his debut after arm surgery.

Yellum: "Coach, will you have Horne on a pitch count?"
Bianco: "No, we will ride him as far and he can take us, whether its one inning or nine innings."

engie
04-15-2013, 10:07 PM
Didn't help Memphis' RPI as much as I thought -- only to RPI #95. Either way, they've now got 2 barely top 100 losses -- our worst 4 losses are to teams with RPIs in the 40s and moving up. That took them from RPI #14 to RPI #20...

SnakePlissken
04-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Game Over. Rebs get shutout by Memphis 4-0 Is Bianco dropping a little? Is he in a little trouble maybe at OM? How patient will they be? He's certainly not been as strong the past couple of years as he was when Polk was destroying our program several years ago. Cohen seems to have caught him and maybe even surpassed him as well.

CadaverDawg
04-15-2013, 11:18 PM
Is Bianco dropping a little? Is he in a little trouble maybe at OM? How patient will they be? He's certainly not been as strong the past couple of years as he was when Polk was destroying our program several years ago. Cohen seems to have caught him and maybe even surpassed him as well.

Bianco could lose his job this year if they fizzle out and lose as a 2 seed in a Regional. The combination of us picking it up and passing them by, and Ole Miss underachieving in their fans eyes...could spell disaster for Ole "Little Man Syndrome" Mikey B.

It cracks me up how he struts out to the mound with his arms bowed out like he's made of muscle. He reminds me of the cop from your hometown that was a douche growing up, but got a badge and now thinks he's an ass kicker. He fits Ole Miss well.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/10817525/mike_bianco.0_standard_352.0.jpg

WeWillScrewItUp
04-15-2013, 11:25 PM
Bianco could lose his job this year if they fizzle out and lose as a 2 seed in a Regional. The combination of us picking it up and passing them by, and Ole Miss underachieving in their fans eyes...could spell disaster for Ole "Little Man Syndrome" Mikey B.

It cracks me up how he struts out to the mound with his arms bowed out like he's made of muscle. He reminds me of the cop from your hometown that was a douche growing up, but got a badge and now thinks he's an ass kicker. He fits Ole Miss well.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/10817525/mike_bianco.0_standard_352.0.jpg

I agree with you 110%. The hometown cop thing hit the nail on the head.

sandwolf
04-16-2013, 12:11 AM
Their best win at this point is over Arkansas which as we all know has a low RPI and that was in Oxford.

Pretty sure that game was at Arkansas.

engie
04-16-2013, 12:40 AM
Cohen seems to have caught him and maybe even surpassed him as well.

Cohen owns him head to head. I think it's 8 of 10 series or maybe 9 of 11 that he's now taken from Bianco -- dating back to their time at McNeese and Northwestern St. There is a ton of pressure on Bianco to beat us in Oxford this year -- or else it becomes 4 of 5 series against MSU, 2 of 3 in Oxford, and the reality that we have (re)surpassed them hits them hard...

My question is -- Is Bianco underachieving? Or is he simply not overachieving to quite as great an extent as he has been? Tough to really know with their lack of baseball history prior to him...

Spider-Man
04-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Bianco has become a victim of his own success. He built OM baseball to where it is and now the fanbase is ripping him for not delivering. On another site I visit an OM fan there expects to be hosting 3/5 years and hosting Supers at least 1/5. Said he doesn't care if they make Omaha though, which I found interesting.

Coach34
04-16-2013, 10:03 AM
The thing is- OM has been ranked all season.

If you fire him- you are telling your applicants they have to make the CWS to keep their jobs. This is not a case like Stands where the program is slipping- Bianco just cant seem to get over the hump.