PDA

View Full Version : Look out DTV subscribers.............

basedog
09-13-2019, 02:03 PM
Looking as if there may not be any games on DTV starting this weekend. I guess I will have to deal with it after I get home from the game as I've been with DTV since April 1994.

Maybe I can give "My Thoughts" to the folks who may not get the game. Man I'm sure a few will be close to jumping off the roof!

Sec Office is giving folks a heads up for this weekend. I'm under contract with DTV but I'm wondering if I need to call Morgan and Morgan if games are blacked out. This crap is getting old as I lost one of the local channels for about a month. Seems to happen more and more now days.

Dawgology
09-13-2019, 02:07 PM
If they drop ESPN we will probably get rid of Directv. Literally the only reason we keep it is a for ESPN and SEC Sports. Just go internet based.

MrKotter
09-13-2019, 02:09 PM
It includes Uverse as well. If Disney and ATT do not come to terms by midnight then no Corso in the morning. You would think ATT would know this will be the final straw for many after removing the NFL Network and the several week dispute with CBS.

Gutter Cobreh
09-13-2019, 02:11 PM
Looking as if there may not be any games on DTV starting this weekend. I guess I will have to deal with it after I get home from the game as I've been with DTV since April 1994.

Maybe I can give "My Thoughts" to the folks who may not get the game. Man I'm sure a few will be close to jumping off the roof!

Sec Office is giving folks a heads up for this weekend. I'm under contract with DTV but I'm wondering if I need to call Morgan and Morgan if games are blacked out. This crap is getting old as I lost one of the local channels for about a month. Seems to happen more and more now days.

Same boat here Basedog! I've pretty much made up my mind that when they block these channels out, I'm cancelling and starting with YouTubeTV.

If anyone on the board already has YouTubeTV and don't like it, please share your experiences as I would appreciate hearing how it has been for you.

RocketDawg
09-13-2019, 02:15 PM
Do people with cable (as opposed to satellite) have these problems too when the two parties can't reach an agreement on funding? It seems like it happens quite frequently with Dish (my service) and apparently with DTV too.

Dish is currently having a spat with Fox Sports networks across the country. The local Fox broadcast station carries the Braves games that would otherwise be on Fox Sports channels.

BTW - from what I've heard, ESPN is the most expensive network providers carry. And the cost is passed along to subscribers, whether they're sports fans or not.

Maroonthirteen
09-13-2019, 02:36 PM
Oh the irony, our game is being played at 11am for TV. The game won?t be available for millions of homes in America.

BulldogBear
09-13-2019, 02:47 PM
Yeah sounds like it's time for another cut the cable thread. I didn't do it when we moved last year in order keep transition simple. Between Amazon and Netflix about the only thing we really need to figure out is how to get college sports and F1.

BulldogBear
09-13-2019, 02:48 PM
Oh the irony, our game is being played at 11am for TV. The game won?t be available for millions of homes in America.

$15 50yl lower bowl yesterday! Haven't looked today.

Maroonthirteen
09-13-2019, 03:00 PM
$15 50yl lower bowl yesterday! Haven't looked today.

The crowd will be very light tomorrow.

Pinto
09-13-2019, 03:00 PM
I got YouTubeTV a couple of weeks back and couldn't be happier. It is the perfect thing for a sports nut. All the channels you want. I use the same account at my place in Starkville and at home. So convenient especially for that. I used to have DirectTv, Dish, and Maxxsouth. This is the best of the four by far.

Same boat here Basedog! I've pretty much made up my mind that when they block these channels out, I'm cancelling and starting with YouTubeTV.

If anyone on the board already has YouTubeTV and don't like it, please share your experiences as I would appreciate hearing how it has been for you.

confucius say
09-13-2019, 03:18 PM
I got YouTubeTV a couple of weeks back and couldn't be happier. It is the perfect thing for a sports nut. All the channels you want. I use the same account at my place in Starkville and at home. So convenient especially for that. I used to have DirectTv, Dish, and Maxxsouth. This is the best of the four by far.

Do you have roku TVs that you play YouTubeTV on or how do you do it?

dedawg9
09-13-2019, 03:40 PM
We dropped Dish (paying $130/month) about a year ago. We hardly watched anything other than sports and cooking shows. Most of what we were watching even then came from Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

Hulu offers live TV (like Youtube) with every sports channel one would want (including SEC Network), and local channels. We pay $45 for the 80 channel service and and extra $5 to block commercials on their on demand service.

If your sets are not "Smart TV's" you will have to outfit each one with an Apple TV Box, Rocku, or other to convert the stream. For us, it is well worth it. You should be able to find something to watch with 80 live channels and literally thousands of movies/TV shows through the on demand services from Hulu, Vudu, Amazon, Youtube, Netflix, etc....Also, we have a 1GB connection so we have no snafus with bandwidth (not sure how it would work with bandwidth lower than 100mb????). This whole system works well for us.

DawgNamedScuba
09-13-2019, 03:50 PM
Soon The Mouse will be taking over streaming

Disney announces $12.99 bundle for Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+

RocketDawg
09-13-2019, 03:51 PM
We dropped Dish (paying $130/month) about a year ago. We hardly watched anything other than sports and cooking shows. Most of what we were watching even then came from Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime.

Hulu offers live TV (like Youtube) with every sports channel one would want (including SEC Network), and local channels. We pay $45 for the 80 channel service and and extra $5 to block commercials on their on demand service.

If your sets are not "Smart TV's" you will have to outfit each one with an Apple TV Box, Rocku, or other to convert the stream. For us, it is well worth it. You should be able to find something to watch with 80 live channels and literally thousands of movies/TV shows through the on demand services from Hulu, Vudu, Amazon, Youtube, Netflix, etc....Also, we have a 1GB connection so we have no snafus with bandwidth (not sure how it would work with bandwidth lower than 100mb????). This whole system works well for us.

Can you have as many TVs as you want with no extra charge?

Dawg2003
09-13-2019, 04:01 PM
Just get a Firestick with Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus

dedawg9
09-13-2019, 04:02 PM

You can watch your service anywhere on as many TV's, Phones, Computers, etc... But, you can only log on the service with TWO devices at a time. It has never been a problem for us (2 adults, 2 kids in the household) but I guess it could be for some.

Concerning the converter boxes if you have X-box or Playstation you won't need it....those run you $150-$200 depending on which you choose. All our TVs have Smart TV so it's not an issue.

Dawgology
09-13-2019, 04:03 PM
Soon The Mouse will be taking over streaming

Disney announces $12.99 bundle for Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+

That’s really what all of this is about. People leave ATT/Directv and go to Disney streaming for sports

ScoobaDawg
09-13-2019, 04:07 PM

Different services have different restrictions.
Check out this site if you are planning on trying a different service. put in your zip code and select the channels you want.. and then see what works for you. I use Playstation Vue and have very little issues with them (minus last week the dvr seemed to have issues with espn games at night).
https://www.suppose.tv/tv

Hulu does 2 streams, up to 15 devices
Youtubetv does 3 streams and 12 devices.
Playstation Vie is 5 streams and 12 devices.

DownwardDawg
09-13-2019, 04:07 PM
All these things you guys are talking about require decent internet I’m guessing??

dedawg9
09-13-2019, 04:08 PM
That’s really what all of this is about. People leave ATT/Directv and go to Disney streaming for sports

Probably....but right now, it's worth the move. Who the hell watches all the .sh...t on 250 plus channels from the satellite services anyway? People have been raped by these services for many years just to watch a handful of channels.

dedawg9
09-13-2019, 04:10 PM
Different services have different restrictions.
Check out this site if you are planning on trying a different service. put in your zip code and select the channels you want.. and then see what works for you. I use Playstation Vue and have very little issues with them (minus last week the dvr seemed to have issues with espn games at night).

Hulu does 2 streams, up to 15 devices
Youtubetv does 3 streams and 12 devices.
Playstation Vie is 5 streams and 12 devices.

But, that's kind of misleading. At anytime you can go into your settings and take off devices that you use. So if you have 15 setup (who would ever have that many anyway?), take 5 off and add 5 new ones.

Dawgfan77
09-13-2019, 04:14 PM
I have direct tv and a roku. What are my options to watch the game tomorrow?

ScoobaDawg
09-13-2019, 04:15 PM
All these things you guys are talking about require decent internet I?m guessing??

Ugh Yes. Plus careful of making sure your plan if it has a cap it's not a low one.

https://go.frontier.com/recommended-internet-speed-for-streaming

You need a minimum download speed of 3 Megabits per second to watch a single video stream in clear, standard definition. The best Internet speed for HD streaming is 5Mbps, and if you go all the way up to 4K streaming, or ultra HD, your bandwidth should start at 25Mbps.

dedawg9
09-13-2019, 04:16 PM

Roku only acts as a port to the bandwidth TV services. It lets you access Hulu through it. You would have to subscribe to the Hulu live service to get TV from it.

dedawg9
09-13-2019, 04:18 PM
Ugh Yes. Plus careful of making sure your plan if it has a cap it's not a low one.

Yup, and most folks have at least what you state above. It's well worth trying.

confucius say

A roku tv? You can get youtubetv for free trial and watch it on your roku tv.

ScoobaDawg

Sign up for a trial of Hulu, Playstation Vue, or Youtube tv depending on what is available in your area.

drummerdawg
09-13-2019, 04:24 PM
A friend of mine is trying YouTube TV and he said his biggest issue was that the audio and video weren't in sync. Said he'd hear the play and then see the action several seconds later. That's a big reason I haven't cut the cord yet.

Dawgfan77
09-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Sign up for a trial of Hulu, Playstation Vue, or Youtube tv depending on what is available in your area.
Signed up for a free trial of YouTube TV. So they carry SEC network?

BulldogBear
09-13-2019, 05:29 PM
A friend of mine is trying YouTube TV and he said his biggest issue was that the audio and video weren't in sync. Said he'd hear the play and then see the action several seconds later. That's a big reason I haven't cut the cord yet.

You could just listen to the radio broadcast with the the TV volume down on for that!

BulldogBear
09-13-2019, 05:31 PM
Just get a Firestick with Amazon Prime and Hulu Plus

I have a firestick and Amazon Prime.

With Hulu Plus we could watch live sports?

starkvegasdawg
09-13-2019, 05:36 PM
Yup, and most folks have at least what you state above. It's well worth trying.

Sadly, I'm not one of them. I'd love to cut the cord, but I don't have a dependable internet option with no data cap. So I'm pretty much SOL. Pisses me off c spire fiber stops about a mile or so from my house. I'm that close to unlimited blazing fast internet.

chainedup_Dawg
09-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Guess I'll be signing up for Youtube Tv...does anyone have Istreamitall? Supposedly you can watch any show you want just a day after it airs on tv

RocketDawg
09-13-2019, 05:51 PM

Ordinarily, you could access ESPN through your Roku with your DirecTV sign-in. But if they're not carrying it directly on DirecTV, they probably cut out the streaming service also.

I don't think it's a done deal yet, so you may still be good to go tomorrow. They could come to a deal before midnight.

Gutter Cobreh
09-13-2019, 05:53 PM
Wouldn't the game also be broadcast through the ESPN app? If you have a smart tv and pay for ESPN+, wouldn't I still be able to watch the game if DirectTV pulls the plug???

Also, found out I'm still under contract with DirectTV until the end of the year, so going to have to wait to switch to YouTubeTV. They did give me $50 off my monthly bill and the NFL ticket for free just for calling to inquire about cancelling. I can wait till the end of the year, as long as the ESPN app carries the football games.

RocketDawg
09-13-2019, 05:55 PM
Sadly, I'm not one of them. I'd love to cut the cord, but I don't have a dependable internet option with no data cap. So I'm pretty much SOL. Pisses me off c spire fiber stops about a mile or so from my house. I'm that close to unlimited blazing fast internet.

I have Dish. It's expensive, but not a budget-buster, so I guess I'll stick with it. I'm familiar with it, it's dependable about 99.9% of the time, and the only thing I know of that they've dropped for any period of time has been one of the locals, which I can get over the air.

Turfdawg67
09-13-2019, 06:23 PM

Cable channels and networks are losing customers and are trying to get more $$$. Providers who are losing more and more subscribers are trying not to pay the networks more so they can keep profits where they are... and without increasing monthly bills. It's a bad situation that all these greedy companies have brought upon themselves. I cut the cord probably 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I get more sports channels than I ever did before. However, PlayStation Vue (horrible name b/c you don't need a PlayStation) has gone from $39.99 to $59 per month in the last 2 years.

ScoobaDawg
09-13-2019, 06:31 PM
Wouldn't the game also be broadcast through the ESPN app? If you have a smart tv and pay for ESPN+, wouldn't I still be able to watch the game if DirectTV pulls the plug???

Also, found out I'm still under contract with DirectTV until the end of the year, so going to have to wait to switch to YouTubeTV. They did give me $50 off my monthly bill and the NFL ticket for free just for calling to inquire about cancelling. I can wait till the end of the year, as long as the ESPN app carries the football games.

You might not. ESPN+ does not include the core espn channels. So if you have access to watch them on the app it's because you are logged in with DirectTV access. So if directtv loses ESPN, you would lose it in the app.

ScoobaDawg
09-13-2019, 06:33 PM

I would strongly suggest not letting your friends issues sway you considering how many other people use it with no issue. I have come very close to changing to it myself except I prefer a few things about PS VUE over it.. mainly the ability to get the Longhorn network and keep the wife happy.

Audio Sync could be a dozen things besides the provider. His A/V system. His tv. His internet....

Turfdawg67
09-13-2019, 06:35 PM

Dependable, fast internet is a must. Mine is lighting fast and my PS Vue is really, really good but not perfect over wifi. Our TV in the living room is hooked up directly to the router via Ethernet and it's cable fast!

DownwardDawg
09-13-2019, 06:46 PM

Thanks. It’s the one downfall of living out in the country like I do. The fastest internet I have available without a cap is AT&T fixed wireless. It’s plenty fast, when it works. Rain, strong wind, snow, etc... Son playing Xbox, nothing else can be happening. Just like everything else with At&t, customer service is terrible. I saw a large fiber get installed on The highway I live off, less than 300 yards or so from me. But fiber is still not available for me.

Side question - does anyone know who installed the fiber down 84 from Brookhaven to Laurel??

Gutter Cobreh
09-13-2019, 07:31 PM
You might not. ESPN+ does not include the core espn channels. So if you have access to watch them on the app it's because you are logged in with DirectTV access. So if directtv loses ESPN, you would lose it in the app.

I have to spread some rep. around but thanks for the answer. It isn't what I wanted to read, but you're correct.

Here is hoping I can stream it somehow. Otherwise, I'll either drink myself into a stooper or watch Sam Houston St. play TX Arlington.... can we get some vcash bets on those Division III games so I have a reason to watch????***

msstate7
09-13-2019, 07:34 PM
I have to spread some rep. around but thanks for the answer. It isn't what I wanted to read, but you're correct.

Here is hoping I can stream it somehow. Otherwise, I'll either drink myself into a stooper or watch Sam Houston St. play TX Arlington.... can we get some vcash bets on those Division III games so I have a reason to watch????***

Wanna come watch with me?** I actually will be out of town... place with taller building, just in case

BrunswickDawg
09-13-2019, 08:20 PM
Thanks. It’s the one downfall of living out in the country like I do. The fastest internet I have available without a cap is AT&T fixed wireless. It’s plenty fast, when it works. Rain, strong wind, snow, etc... Son playing Xbox, nothing else can be happening. Just like everything else with At&t, customer service is terrible. I saw a large fiber get installed on The highway I live off, less than 300 yards or so from me. But fiber is still not available for me.

Side question - does anyone know who installed the fiber down 84 from Brookhaven to Laurel??

Having fiber run in the main trunks doesn't mean they will run it to your house. They've run fiber all over town here, but haven't replaced the neighborhood lines. I swear I've got copper lines from the telegraph days feeding my neighborhood - at least that's how slow my "fiber" from AT&T is.

DownwardDawg
09-13-2019, 09:16 PM
Having fiber run in the main trunks doesn't mean they will run it to your house. They've run fiber all over town here, but haven't replaced the neighborhood lines. I swear I've got copper lines from the telegraph days feeding my neighborhood - at least that's how slow my "fiber" from AT&T is.

Yeah, I’m doubting I’ll ever get it unless I end up moving. Which is always a possibility.

Dawgology
09-13-2019, 09:21 PM
They are saying the ATT/Disney contract doesn’t run out until Oct 1. Not sure why they would cancel the channel mid-September. Strange...

yjnkdawg
09-13-2019, 09:54 PM
They are saying the ATT/Disney contract doesn?t run out until Oct 1. Not sure why they would cancel the channel mid-September. Strange...

Who is They? Because some "theys" think it runs out tonight and that was why ESPN was focusing on the Florida game maybe not being available tomorrow on AT&T's TV and streaming providers. This just gives me another good reason to switch from UVerse to C Spire or to C Spire Internet and Hula Live+. UVerse is way over priced since the promotion expired (IMO ).

dedawg9
09-13-2019, 10:13 PM

Yea wow, that stinks!!! We are on Old West Point road (northgate subdivision) just inside the limits. Maxxsouth pulled their fiber in here two years ago and it has been lights out on speed since then. It's $90 a month to have their 1,000 mb hookup, but it's well worth it if you have anywhere from 2-8 devices pulling on it constantly like we do!!!!

Dawgology
09-13-2019, 10:16 PM
Who is They? Because some "theys" think it runs out tonight and that was why ESPN was focusing on the Florida game maybe not being available tomorrow on AT&T's TV and streaming providers. This just gives me another good reason to switch from UVerse to C Spire or to C Spire Internet and Hula Live+. UVerse is way over priced since the promotion expired (IMO ).

“They” is the Disney exec interviewed in the article from Forbes I just read. Unfortunately there is no high speed fiber or broadband in my area. The ONLY thing we have here is ATT DSL. Max speed we get through that is 1.5 mb and I pay $120 month for that. Mississippi sucks with high speed Internet. Specifically north Lowndes County and Monroe.

yjnkdawg
09-13-2019, 10:19 PM

If Disney doesn't decide to shut down the ESPN broadcast networks on the AT&T TV affiliates (Directv and UVerse), then you can watch it on Directv. However if Disney decides o pull the plug tomorrow, the ROKU will be worthless on trying to stream ESPN3 if you have AT&T (Directv or UVerse) as your tv provider.

yjnkdawg
09-13-2019, 10:24 PM
“They” is the Disney exec interviewed in the article from Forbes I just read. Unfortunately there is no high speed fiber or broadband in my area. The ONLY thing we have here is ATT DSL. Max speed we get through that is 1.5 mb and I pay $120 month for that. Mississippi sucks with high speed Internet. Specifically north Lowndes County and Monroe.

I feel for you on the that crappy AT&T DSL. Mine was like .5 to 1.0 mbps which I had for several years. AT&T finally got Uverse Fiber to the Home in our neighborhood and shortly there after C Spire Fiber also came in. I thought I was going to be stuck with that crappy AT&T DSL forever. Mine is now 120 t0 125 mbps with an option to get the 1 GB with either provider. So you just never know. Hopefully it will get better for you.

yjnkdawg
09-13-2019, 10:42 PM
In comparing all the streaming options, I liked YouTube TV and Play Station Vue the best, but then I saw that ESPN3 is no longer available through YouTube TV and my local CBS station is not available with Play Station Vue ( Not necessarily a deal breaker but something to consider). :(

Dawgology
09-13-2019, 10:45 PM
I feel for you on the that crappy AT&T DSL. Mine was like .5 to 1.0 mbps which I had for several years. AT&T finally got Uverse Fiber to the Home in our neighborhood and shortly there after C Spire Fiber also came in. I thought I was going to be stuck with that crappy AT&T DSL forever. Mine is now 120 t0 125 mbps with an option to get the 1 GB with either provider. So you just never know. Hopefully it will get better for you.

We are hoping our electric Co-op will vote in providing broadband soon but I’m not holding my breath. Their average age is about 80 and none of them understand the Internet.

AlSwearengen
09-13-2019, 11:01 PM
This is a good example of “when assholes collide”. I hope Disney and AT&T cause each other unimaginable misery. I told my wife that we won’t be changing any plans, adding anything, dropping anything, etc with at&t/directv. It causes huge confusion and you can’t get at&t to straighten it out. We switched over to their fiber optic and I swear I think it is slower. They started billing us for fiber optic and kept charging us for dsl. We had to tell the credit card company to deny the charge. AT&T just passes you around until you get tired of being passed around and give up. 17 ‘em. The next thing we do with them is drop their ass totally-internet, phone, and t.v. 17 ‘em and 17 Disney as well.

Mjoelner34
09-13-2019, 11:02 PM

Great link Scooba!!!! Gonna call C-Spire next week and talk with them. Their map says I'm covered by fiber. From your link, looks like Youtube + Philo would be my package.

Pinto
09-13-2019, 11:03 PM
I do it both ways. Here in Starkville it?s going threw a smart tv with the App built in. At home I use Apple TV to broadcast the app. Either place I?ve had no problems. Never had it lag or not sync video and audio.

Do you have roku TVs that you play YouTubeTV on or how do you do it?

Homedawg
09-13-2019, 11:13 PM
I do it both ways. Here in Starkville it?s going threw a smart tv with the App built in. At home I use Apple TV to broadcast the app. Either place I?ve had no problems. Never had it lag or not sync video and audio.

Apple TV won't do you any good if your service is w Directv. Just like the app. Need a provider.

confucius say
09-13-2019, 11:22 PM

Can you watch Watchespn / Espn3 with YouTubeTV? Otherwise how do you watch all of our baseball games?

Pinto
09-13-2019, 11:23 PM
We were talking youtubetv. I use it through a smart tv and my Apple TV. No problems on either.

Apple TV won't do you any good if your service is w Directv. Just like the app. Need a provider.

yjnkdawg
09-13-2019, 11:23 PM
They are saying the ATT/Disney contract doesn’t run out until Oct 1. Not sure why they would cancel the channel mid-September. Strange...

So they can use it as a scare tactic. Poor lil ole Disney is being so mistreated , and if they threaten to, or even pull the plug on the ESPN Channels now then they are looking for the AT&T customers to help them out against AT&T prior to the contract expiration date. Well, neither Disney or AT&T is innocent in this . Neither seem to have the best interest in mind of the ones (customers) who have even given them this opportunity to argue over carriage fees, and it could come down to it biting them both in the butt.

Homedawg
09-13-2019, 11:38 PM
We were talking youtubetv. I use it through a smart tv and my Apple TV. No problems on either.

Sorry misunderstood!!

Coach007
09-13-2019, 11:39 PM
Ok.. read the whole thread. As a cord cutter for over a decade, I may can lend some help.

- DO NOT for get to cancel trials.
- DO look at all of them because they ALL have trials. You could spend 2 months looking and not pay anything.
- I loved Sling when I was with them. I paid 25 per month and had SEC and all the ESPNS.
- I didn't like Youtube when I tried it (at first launch)

There are other methods too. Phone mirroring. It's not my favorite, but it does work.

- You will need either a smart TV, HTPC, Android box, Apple tv, Roku etc.... I'm a person that like to build and play. I don't like Apple... LOVE Android. I built my HTPC...etc.. The point is, you gotta have a player of some kind and all of them work. Apple tv with 32 GB (and 4k) costs about $200 bucks. On the opposite end, a fire stick or roku express is about $30. An Android gives you everything in between. An example is for $70, you can get an android box with 64GB and 4gigs ram running Android 9.0. That's twice the storage and more power than Apple Tv... for less than half. The draw back to Android is the UHD from Netflix. You won't get it. Not a problem any place else.

Homedawg
09-13-2019, 11:45 PM
So they can use it as a scare tactic. Poor lil ole Disney is being so mistreated , and if they threaten to, or even pull the plug on the ESPN Channels now then they are looking for the AT&T customers to help them out against AT&T prior to the contract expiration date. Well, neither Disney or AT&T is innocent in this . Neither seem to have the best interest in mind of the ones (customers) who have even given them this opportunity to argue over carriage fees, and it could come down it biting them both in the butt.

There is really no right or wrong unfortunately. Espn is losing subscribers, they need more money per customer to make up the difference. People like me want and have to have espnand it's networks. AT&T is fighting an increase Bc of it goes up they pass it along to the customer and don't want to lose any. We, the consumer, are the losers. But I can't really blame either side. It's business. If you don't like it change, and beware your group is coming w a negotiation at some point too.