PDA

View Full Version : Kind of funny these discussions about Mullen feel familar

Tbonewannabe
10-25-2013, 07:42 PM
Seems like the same arguments made about Stans.

Jack Lambert
10-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Seems like the same arguments made about Stans.

It might feel the same but it's not the same thing. Stans had been there for 20 years.

Tbonewannabe
10-25-2013, 08:36 PM
But Stans had decent recruiting and didn't have a really bad overall season. It was more the attitude around the program. We had just greatly improved the facility

Dawg61
10-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Yes but the difference is we're all assuming Hud is going to take the job. We'll be royally ****ed if he doesn't.

Tbonewannabe
10-25-2013, 08:38 PM
We didn't even have someone like HUD as an option in basketball.

Dawg61
10-25-2013, 08:44 PM
We didn't even have someone like HUD as an option in basketball.

Yup and I'd hope we all learned a little from that

engie
10-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Learned what? Stans should have been gone earlier -- and if he had been let go the year before -- we would have gotten a good coach.

Stans was an elite recruiter and bad coach. That's why he got to stay forever. Which of these adequately describes Mullen? He's neither. Cohen is both.

preachermatt83
10-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Learned what? Stans should have been gone earlier -- and if he had been let go the year before -- we would have gotten a good coach.

Stans was an elite recruiter and bad coach. That's why he got to stay forever. Which of these adequately describes Mullen? He's neither. Cohen is both.

^^^Nailed it

Jack Lambert
10-25-2013, 09:05 PM

Three years ago many of these same posters want Cohen gone.

Dawg61
10-25-2013, 09:13 PM

You read my post wrong. Learned about the hiring process.

engie
10-25-2013, 09:15 PM
Three years ago many of these same posters want Cohen gone.

I disagree entirely. It's largely flipflopped. Many of the posters that want Mullen gone are the ones that defended Cohen for all his worth through the first 2.5 years -- Todd and I being two that I can think of specifically...

Tbonewannabe
10-25-2013, 09:23 PM
Most saw Cohen bringing in our senior RF to close out an SEC game who hadn't pitched since high school. Most people recognized the train wreck Cohen inherited. Very similar to what Ray got.

I don't think Mullen would let it get to that point but is UK and 4 cupcake ooc games plus hoping for a down year for other people our ceiling as a program? To me it is just like Stans situation. No sweet 16 is the same as not competing with Bama, LSU, and A&M. Are we happy with NIT ( liberty or music city) and occasionally big dance(gator).

ShotgunDawg
10-25-2013, 09:32 PM
I don't think there is much comparison between Mullen and Stans. Stansbury's teams embarrassed the school with fights, no discipline, and under achieving. Mullen is an so-so recruiter, but has his team really under achieved per their talent level or embarrassed the school?

State82
10-25-2013, 09:40 PM
I don't think there is much comparison between Mullen and Stans. Stansbury's teams embarrassed the school with fights, no discipline, and under achieving. Mullen is an so-so recruiter, but has his team really under achieved per their talent level or embarrassed the school?

Nickoe was a complete embarrassment last night. On national television with up-close and personal replays of him throwing punches in the pile just two plays after shoving his hand in an opponent's face mask after the play. Granted, it was not Renardo embarrassing, but embarrassing nonetheless.

Tbonewannabe
10-25-2013, 09:46 PM
So if Stans team hadn't gotten into a fight he would still be here?

I was more referring to expectations from a program. What point do you say ok, this is our program? A lot of people were calling for Stans to be gone before the fight.

CadaverDawg
10-25-2013, 10:15 PM
I disagree entirely. It's largely flipflopped. Many of the posters that want Mullen gone are the ones that defended Cohen for all his worth through the first 2.5 years -- Todd and I being two that I can think of specifically...

I was a ring leader in the Cohen fight as well. If you knew anything about baseball, you knew Cohen was the right hire. He took over a dumpster fire, but it was a matter of time before he got it going. Now look at us.

The crazy thing is...you can see the writing on the wall in a bad way with Mullen, in the same way you could see the GOOD writing on the wall with Cohen. These people fighting to keep Mullen are seeing the same thing we are, they are just thinking he will turn it around...which is crazy IMO. How many times has a program had shit take a downhill turn and that same administration all the sudden flip the switch back on and turn it around? That shit never happens. And it won't with Mullen either.

engie
10-25-2013, 11:01 PM
I was a ring leader in the Cohen fight as well. If you knew anything about baseball, you knew Cohen was the right hire. He took over a dumpster fire, but it was a matter of time before he got it going. Now look at us.

The crazy thing is...you can see the writing on the wall in a bad way with Mullen, in the same way you could see the GOOD writing on the wall with Cohen. These people fighting to keep Mullen are seeing the same thing we are, they are just thinking he will turn it around...which is crazy IMO. How many times has a program had shit take a downhill turn and that same administration all the sudden flip the switch back on and turn it around? That shit never happens. And it won't with Mullen either.

Agreed. Something will happen at some point -- and they will open their eyes to the reality they had been denying. Just like it happened to the rest of us. Denial in something you care about so deeply can be strong. It was for me...

hacker
10-25-2013, 11:09 PM
There's no denial for me. I see exactly what's going on. I just want to see more before I make a decision. There's still time to turn it around. Besides, we're not going to make a move mid-season anyway.

Dannyripms
10-25-2013, 11:24 PM
The thing with Cohen is you could see the team getting better even though the win and loss record wasn't showing it quiet yet. I know there was some idiots calling for his head. Sometimes I think these people are either blind or really dumb when it comes to sports. Now Mullen has had two years IMO to get it turned around because last year was a disaster even though we won eight. We barely be 2 cupcakes that year and I knew when we were 7-0 that we would get blown out when we faced stiffer competition. And he had all off season to turn it around and he hasn't yet. So IMO this is it for him. If he can win out or only lose to Alabama I'll be happy, otherwise we need to go after HUD and get him a contract before we let Mullen go.

Dannyripms
10-25-2013, 11:25 PM
I'm kind of thinking Mullen is gonna leave on his own after this year anyways. Something just feels weird, his actions during and after games. He seems like he wants out but has to do decent in order to go somewhere else. I'm betting after the season he leaves on his own

MarketingBully01
10-26-2013, 01:11 AM
Yeah, what if he did that and then Hud turned us down and we depended on Stricklin to make the hire with a "Ricky Ray" special. Can't wait for that dumpster fire to start back up this year.

Todd4State
10-26-2013, 01:28 AM
If Hud turns us down, we go after Chad Morris or someone else. There are a lot of good coaches out there.

Maroonthirteen
10-26-2013, 07:33 AM
I'm kind of thinking Mullen is gonna leave on his own after this year anyways. Something just feels weird, his actions during and after games. He seems like he wants out but has to do decent in order to go somewhere else. I'm betting after the season he leaves on his own

I get that feeling too. There will be plenty of jobs come open. It is just a matter of who offers him. I think any lateral position (and obviously better), he is gone.

All this is speculative on my part and no inside info.

AROB44
10-26-2013, 08:17 AM

I am in agreement with you on this......something about Dan just does not seem right. He knows something.

cheewgumm
10-26-2013, 08:59 AM
So we can't find a good coach if we pay $2.7 m and let them coach in the SEC?

Damn dude you have a really don't think much of miss state huh?

Yes but the difference is we're all assuming Hud is going to take the job. We'll be royally ****ed if he doesn't.

I seen it dawg
10-26-2013, 08:59 AM
This is exactly the same. The coaches both suck and most of our fans are scared to get rid of "it's ok and good enough to maybe be in the postseason some years with an occasional run coach" to take a chance on something better. It's running down the same path it's just the path moves faster in football. I don't need a fight in the stands to show me that Dan doesn't have it as a coach. It took that for a lot of folks as a last straw fow Stains, why wait for it to get that far for Dan.

I seen it dawg
10-26-2013, 09:02 AM

This is so damn asinine it cant even be argued. This is bottom of the barrel asinine. Like fire Cohen asinine.

Shit I will be shocked if Hud is far and away the best candidate. There will be many outstanding candidates available where we don't have to settle for a guy because he just has Miss ties. Now if he is best candidate available because of his track record and what he brings to the table then fine. But don't hire him bc he wants to coach here and he would own recruiting in the state, when we don't know that he would. I don't think Hud is gonna be the slam dunk hire or he shouldn't be at least.