PDA

View Full Version : So what the heck is up with Chip Kelly and UCLA

Irondawg
09-11-2019, 09:46 AM
They can't score at all - only 14 points each game so far against non-elite defenses. They seemed to be getting better end of last year, but look to have take a step back and now get Oklahoma this week.

msstate7
09-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Chip looks to have put it in cruise control. I'm very disappointed in how he's started at UCLA. The man is a better coach than this... show some pride, Chip

Jack Lambert
09-11-2019, 09:57 AM
They can't score at all - only 14 points each game so far against non-elite defenses. They seemed to be getting better end of last year, but look to have take a step back and now get Oklahoma this week.

He probably did not walk into a lot of talent or the type talent he needs for his offense.

Ari Gold
09-11-2019, 10:00 AM
Oregon was a long time ago.

defiantdog
09-11-2019, 11:17 AM
Chip is missing that Nike money and easy recruiting right now.

StarkVegasSteve
09-11-2019, 11:21 AM
I said when he left for the NFL that was the stupidest decision he could make. He backdoored his way into a goldmine at Oregon and had them set up to make a run similar to Clemson. You could almost argue that Clemson's rise coincided with Oregon's fall. I believe he's a good coach, but the one big thing people have always said about him is that he's not very personable and without Nike and the flash of Oregon recruiting for him he's struggling mightily.

coachnorm
09-11-2019, 11:23 AM
It happens to many coaches. You wake up one morning and the coaches you beat just got better and you got lowered in the food chain?

dantheman4248
09-11-2019, 11:25 AM
Everyone adapted to his concepts that were fresh and he hasn’t changed.

Also San Diego State may have one of the top 10 defenses in the nation when it’s all said and done.

Ari Gold
09-11-2019, 11:27 AM
Chip is missing that Nike money and easy recruiting right now.

Or maybe he is missing the culture and what Mike Bellotti built there .. and he isn’t that big a deal period...

Cooterpoot
09-11-2019, 11:32 AM
His system is old and so is he from a coaching standpoint. He?s taking all the money he can before he retires.

chef dixon
09-11-2019, 11:41 AM
I saw OU was only -21.5. If I was a betting man I?d be all over that

coachnorm
09-11-2019, 11:42 AM
Everyone adapted to his concepts that were fresh and he hasn’t changed.

Also San Diego State may have one of the top 10 defenses in the nation when it’s all said and done.

As a former season ticket holder for over 25 years let me reach out to fellow Elite Doggers. San Diego State is a shadow of what it was during the Marshall Faulk days. Back then SDSU could compete with a mid level SEC team. Beating a bottom feeder Pac12 team is not a great task in my opinion. SDSU does not put much into its football and it shows with about 15,000 bodies in the seats at home games.

Dawg61
09-11-2019, 12:36 PM
Oregon and Chip used to be the innovators of the cheap points offense. Just snap the ball before the defense has time to line up or sub. That version of cheating offense has been squashed and now Chip sucks. Also why Gus kinda sucks now too.

DancingRabbit
09-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Oregon and Chip used to be the innovators of the cheap points offense. Just snap the ball before the defense has time to line up or sub. That version of cheating offense has been squashed and now Chip sucks. Also why Gus kinda sucks now too.

I was about to post something similar. Chip, Gus and Hugh had easy pickings for a while. Then the refs and the defenses adjusted and the magic dust went poof.

dantheman4248
09-11-2019, 03:27 PM
As a former season ticket holder for over 25 years let me reach out to fellow Elite Doggers. San Diego State is a shadow of what it was during the Marshall Faulk days. Back then SDSU could compete with a mid level SEC team. Beating a bottom feeder Pac12 team is not a great task in my opinion. SDSU does not put much into its football and it shows with about 15,000 bodies in the seats at home games.

Yea but no denying that defense has them 2-0 right now. 14 total points allowed. Winning a game with only 6 points scored takes a very good defense period. Weber St may be FCS but they are a top 10 team down there. They were not a slouch gimme game.

YoungB
09-11-2019, 04:30 PM

He hasn't had success in a long time

Job
Year
Won
Lost

PHI

SF

ESPN

UCLA

UCLA

Really Clark?
09-11-2019, 04:59 PM
I said when he left for the NFL that was the stupidest decision he could make. He backdoored his way into a goldmine at Oregon and had them set up to make a run similar to Clemson. You could almost argue that Clemson's rise coincided with Oregon's fall. I believe he's a good coach, but the one big thing people have always said about him is that he's not very personable and without Nike and the flash of Oregon recruiting for him he's struggling mightily.

He and Oregon didn’t have much choice, he got a show cause and if they fought to keep him their penalties would have been worse. He was good and lucky enough to be a commodity for a NFL team

DanDority
09-11-2019, 05:26 PM
He and Oregon didn’t have much choice, he got a show cause and if they fought to keep him their penalties would have been worse. He was good and lucky enough to be a commodity for a NFL team

This is True!

dawgs
09-11-2019, 05:58 PM
Or maybe he is missing the culture and what Mike Bellotti built there .. and he isn’t that big a deal period...

I wouldn't say it's entirely this, but he did keep pretty much the whole Bellotti staff (many of which dates back to at least rich brooks, which is an eternity in CFB), so he had coaches that knew the program and how to pitch kids on Oregon/Eugene. Add in some nike pizzazz and an innovated offense, and it helped chip recruit for sure. But UCLA is in the middle of LA with more P5 prospects within 10 miles of the rose bowl than Oregon has in the entire state. Chip has never been a personable guy (as an Oregon grad alum, heard more than a couple stories about chip butting heads with big time boosters), but he could relate to kids better than boosters, so once Nike or the assistants hooked a kid, he was capable of the final pitch to get them committed and signed. The problem at UCLA is he doesn't have anyone to get him to that final pitch and he's not the guy that's gonna be out there sleeping in his car to great a kid on his way to school in the morning or talking on the phone with a kid all night so that other coaches can't call him. Add in that his offense isn't innovative and exciting anymore, he's no longer at Nike's pet program, he doesn't give a **** about kissing booster's asses, and doesn't have the kinda staff he had at Oregon who handled the coddling of recruits for him, and this is what you get.

Schultzy
09-11-2019, 06:39 PM
Tough recruiting base, Mexicans just aren’t that good at football

dawgs
09-11-2019, 07:00 PM
EDIT to delete repeat post

Dawg61
09-11-2019, 07:28 PM
Tough recruiting base, Mexicans just aren?t that good at football

https://media.giphy.com/media/YIehLZpinaywo/giphy.gif

DanDority
09-11-2019, 08:49 PM
Tough recruiting base, Mexicans just aren?t that good at football

Rep: Given! Truer words are not spoken. They're into what we here in America call soccer.

Dawg61
09-12-2019, 12:01 AM
There's about 30 million non-hispanics living in California and California high school football is consistently rated top 3 in the country since forever.

deadheaddawg
09-12-2019, 12:15 AM
Tough recruiting base, Mexicans just aren’t that good at football

Which is it
1) you were trying to make a joke
2) you don't understand football recruiting
3) are kinda racist

dantheman4248
09-12-2019, 12:30 AM
Which is it
3) are kinda racist

Strong helping of 1 with a spoonful of 2 mixed with a dash of unrealized 3

MrKotter
09-12-2019, 06:19 AM
Which is it
3) are kinda racist

Somebody is overly sensitive and lacks any sort of sense of humor. I guess throwing the word racist around is the cool thing to do now and gives you a sense of superiority over others?

timotheus
09-12-2019, 06:25 AM
I think the main issue in this case is the fact that Chip just isn't the coach and organizer that he was promoted to be. The other could just simply be the fact that he just isn't that good of a coach in the first place. He is a great PR guy but saying all the right things ultimately gets old when the L's just keep a coming.