PDA

View Full Version : Goodness Gracious Dak

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Just saw this tweet.

Folks, you can pick him apart in every which way you want, but the simple truth is this: if Dak continues down this path, he's got a one way ticket to Canton, OH

He's one of the most difficult players likely in the history of the NFL to explain, but at some point it just is what & what he is, & what he is, is an awesome awesome football player

Tbonewannabe
09-10-2019, 09:22 AM
But according to UM fans, Chad Kelly is better.

Johnson85
09-10-2019, 09:23 AM
Just saw this tweet.

Folks, you can pick him apart in every which way you want, but the simple truth is this: if Dak continues down this path, he's got a one way ticket to Canton, OH

He's one of the most difficult players likely in the history of the NFL to explain, but at some point it just is what & what he is, & what he is, is an awesome awesome football player

It'd be interesting to see the progression of those other QB's around him. I assume they all improved from their first few seasons ratings except maybe Wilson, who I think started out pretty hot?

Commercecomet24
09-10-2019, 09:53 AM
Not bad for a backup TE!

Also another very important stat. Second most wins in the NFL since he entered the league behind who? Tom Brady. As Deion Sanders said Sunday on Prime Time, "Dak shows up for every game, and wins, PAY THE MAN!!"

msstatelp1
09-10-2019, 09:58 AM

Now Dallas fans gonna hate him even more for being ahead of Romo.

msstate7
09-10-2019, 10:02 AM
Very impressive, but when you compare now to all time, not fair. Look at dak's rating each year and nfl rank that year...

2016: 104.9, 3rd
2017: 85.6, 18th
2018: 96.9, 14th

So, over the last 3 years, he's finished an avg of 11.7 in the nfl in passer rating... that gets him top 5 all time. Qb numbers aren't comparable to prior eras bc they can't be hit anymore, and WRs aren't mugged. Still, dak is off to great start in his career, and looks to be primed for another rookie level season

Jack Lambert
09-10-2019, 10:04 AM

Better at staying in trouble.

Tbonewannabe
09-10-2019, 10:08 AM
Very impressive, but when you compare now to all time, not fair. Look at dak's rating each year and nfl rank that year...

2016: 104.9, 3rd
2017: 85.6, 18th
2018: 96.9, 14th

So, over the last 3 years, he's finished an avg of 11.7 in the nfl in passer rating... that gets him top 5 all time. Qb numbers aren't comparable to prior eras bc they can't be hit anymore, and WRs aren't mugged. Still, dak is off to great start in his career, and looks to be primed for another rookie level season

The 2017 through the first half of 2018, his receivers were about the worst in the NFL along with an injured Oline that was hot garbage. I saw one metric that showed prior to Cooper that Dallas WRs were getting less than 3 yards separation. It was last in the NFL with the average being over 5 yards separation. Combine that with Smith out at LT and he was getting hit more than any other QB in the league also.

Sometimes just looking at stats doesn't show the entire picture. He has improved but he didn't actually get worse after his rookie year.

msstate7
09-10-2019, 10:10 AM
The 2017 through the first half of 2018, his receivers were about the worst in the NFL along with an injured Oline that was hot garbage. I saw one metric that showed prior to Cooper that Dallas WRs were getting less than 3 yards separation. It was last in the NFL with the average being over 5 yards separation. Combine that with Smith out at LT and he was getting hit more than any other QB in the league also.

Sometimes just looking at stats doesn't show the entire picture. He has improved but he didn't actually get worse after his rookie year.

I said he was off to a great start in his career. Top 5 all time is non-sense though... he's not top 5 right now. He's still young though, and will get better and better

BeardoMSU
09-10-2019, 10:10 AM

Exactly. And all of those things coupled with an inept play-caller in Scott Linehan, and you've got a hot mess of an offense. Just one of those things is tough to overcome, regardless of who's playing QB, and Dak literally had to deal with all of them at the same time.

Tbonewannabe
09-10-2019, 10:16 AM
I said he was off to a great start in his career. Top 5 all time is non-sense though... he's not top 5 right now. He's still young though, and will get better and better

I just stated that not many guys would look great when your WRs can't get open and you get hit more than anyone else. Matt Ryan went from MVP to chump because of his Oline and he has the Premier WR in the game to go with a lot of great weapons. Dak in 2016 had a great and healthy Oline, even then his RT was mediocre but he had 3 Pro Bowl linemen to make up for it. In 2017, injuries happened along with WRs weren't as good. In 2018, his WRs sucked until getting Cooper. Gallup is coming along but when Beasley is your #1 then it is tough sledding. I would say there wasn't 5 guys who could have done better. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Wilson are the only guys that I think might have done better, in my opinion.

Commercecomet24
09-10-2019, 10:24 AM
I just stated that not many guys would look great when your WRs can't get open and you get hit more than anyone else. Matt Ryan went from MVP to chump because of his Oline and he has the Premier WR in the game to go with a lot of great weapons. Dak in 2016 had a great and healthy Oline, even then his RT was mediocre but he had 3 Pro Bowl linemen to make up for it. In 2017, injuries happened along with WRs weren't as good. In 2018, his WRs sucked until getting Cooper. Gallup is coming along but when Beasley is your #1 then it is tough sledding. I would say there wasn't 5 guys who could have done better. Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Wilson are the only guys that I think might have done better, in my opinion.

Exactly and with all that going on around him, he's number 2 in the most telling stat of all: WINS. Second only to Brady since he came into the league.

Johnson85
09-10-2019, 10:25 AM

Nobody is claiming he was top 5 all-time. Obviously any list that has Romo top 5 is not a list of top 5 all-time.

At the same time, for all the Dak haters, where are all the other young qbs? And if he was an average of 11.7 for the last three years, where are the people that were ahead of him? Obviously he must be showing more consistency, and doing so with subpar receivers if he's ending up top 5 and the QBs finishing ahead of him aren't for the most part.

msstate7
09-10-2019, 10:28 AM
Nobody is claiming he was top 5 all-time. Obviously any list that has Romo top 5 is not a list of top 5 all-time.

At the same time, for all the Dak haters, where are all the other young qbs? And if he was an average of 11.7 for the last three years, where are the people that were ahead of him? Obviously he must be showing more consistency, and doing so with subpar receivers if he's ending up top 5 and the QBs finishing ahead of him aren't for the most part.

Wentz, Goff, Watson, and Mahomes haven't qualified yet

Dawgology
09-10-2019, 10:53 AM
I’ll never understand MSU fans shittalking the greatest MSU QB. We have an odd fan base.

Homedawg
09-10-2019, 11:08 AM
I’ll never understand MSU fans shittalking the greatest MSU QB. We have an odd fan base.

Who trashed him? He just stated he's not top 5 of all time. He also said he's off to a great start. Some people read what that want to read and add other stuff in just so they can say someone is being negative or whatever. 7 brought stats to the table and complimented Dak at the same time.

msstate7
09-10-2019, 11:13 AM
I?ll never understand MSU fans shittalking the greatest MSU QB. We have an odd fan base.
We just have different ideas of what that is. I'm very complimentary of dak. He's a very promising, young QB. Top 5 all time though? Come on mane. Do you think he's top 5 all time? If you compare passer rating across eras, there are 13 QBs better than Montana including mariota, 30 better than Marino including kaepernick, 32 better than favre including Matt schaub, and 75 better than elway including Brian griese. You think that's an accurate assessment?

RougeDawg
09-10-2019, 11:16 AM
Who trashed him? He just stated he's not top 5 of all time. He also said he's off to a great start. Some people read what that want to read and add other stuff in just so they can say someone is being negative or whatever. 7 brought stats to the table and complimented Dak at the same time.

He?s talking about MState7 constantly talking down our program, players and former players. While praising former coaches who left us in a shitty manner.

The post never said Top5 all time but 7 took it there to subtly take a jab at Dak. He changes the narrative with irrelevant responses, so he can bash people. Go look at the previous posts.

turkish
09-10-2019, 11:22 AM
Where the **** did “Top 5 all time” come from?

msstate7
09-10-2019, 11:23 AM
He?s talking about MState7 constantly talking down our program, players and former players. While praising former coaches who left us in a shitty manner.

The post never said Top5 all time but 7 took it there to subtly take a jab at Dak. He changes the narrative with irrelevant responses, so he can bash people. Go look at the previous posts.

Shouldn't you save your tears for not getting enough credit calling the key suspension?

msstate7
09-10-2019, 11:24 AM
Where the **** did “Top 5 all time” come from?

https://i.postimg.cc/j2rTQQPj/F799-EEEE-F150-40-F1-A17-E-80-FE842-C94-DA.jpg (https://postimg.cc/zbp4qhdm)

I circled it to make it easier. Watch your language

turkish
09-10-2019, 11:26 AM
5th all time in ONE STAT. You?re extrapolating that to imply it?s calling him 5th best in history. No one thinks that?s the case.

Tbonewannabe
09-10-2019, 11:58 AM
I actually think Dak is on a similar path to Brady as far as stat wise. He has similar tools as far as throwing the ball and great leadership and drive. We will see about Superbowls because there is luck involved when it comes to the playoffs.

Dak does have the benefit of very good mobility. He isn't as quick as Watson but he can take more of a hit. He is similar to Wilson in that aspect.

Bothrops
09-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Just saw this tweet.

He's putting in the work off season.

DancingRabbit
09-10-2019, 02:30 PM
7 doing what 7 does.

gun: hey dak's now 5th all time in passer rating, that's great

7: that's not great, lemme explain why

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2019, 02:34 PM
7 doing what 7 does.

gun: hey dak's now 5th all time in passer rating, that's great

7: that's not great, lemme explain why

If 7 would just change his name to "Devil's Advocate", it would solve many issues on this board.

I like 7 & believe he's a good guy that loves MSU. He just likes to play the other side of the coin so to speak to create debate, which is fine. Again, if he'd just change his username to "Devil's Advocate" there would be no issue because everyone would know the reason for his perspective.

At least he thinks instead of just going along with what everyone else says.

msstate7
09-10-2019, 02:40 PM
If 7 would just change his name to "Devil's Advocate", it would solve many issues on this board.

I like 7 & believe he's a good guy that loves MSU. He just likes to play the other side of the coin so to speak to create debate, which is fine. Again, if he'd just change his username to "Devil's Advocate" there would be no issue because everyone would know the reason for his perspective.

I'm not playing devil's advocate, and here's why...

Lol

dawgday166
09-10-2019, 02:53 PM
We just have different ideas of what that is. I'm very complimentary of dak. He's a very promising, young QB. Top 5 all time though? Come on mane. Do you think he's top 5 all time? If you compare passer rating across eras, there are 13 QBs better than Montana including mariota, 30 better than Marino including kaepernick, 32 better than favre including Matt schaub, and 75 better than elway including Brian griese. You think that's an accurate assessment?

with Marino, Favre, and Elway maybe so. I always thought those 3 are overrated. I'll take Bradshaw and the Snake any day over those 3. Now Montana ... only Brady is in his class and it took a long time for me to say that too.

msstate7
09-10-2019, 03:00 PM
with Marino, Favre, and Elway maybe so. I always thought those 3 are overrated. I'll take Bradshaw and the Snake any day over those 3. Now Montana ... only Brady is in his class and it took a long time for me to say that too.

Stabler tied for 109th
Bradshaw tied for 146th

dawgday166
09-10-2019, 03:03 PM
Stabler tied for 109th
Bradshaw tied for 146th

Don't care. If I'm drafting a QB and those are my 5 choices, I'd take Bradshaw, Stabler, and throw in Staubach over Marino, Favre, & Elway. The first 3 are big game players.

ETA: Elway won 2 SBs only when all he had to do was handoff to Terrell Davis. Did nuthin with his arm to win a SB. Favre did win one, but Favre hurt his team as much as helped them. You as likely to get 6 INTs as 6 TDs in a game with Favre.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-10-2019, 03:20 PM

Exactly right. 7 and you generally try to have evidence for you claims and aren't afraid to go against the grain, which is why you 2 are my favorite posters on here, even though I disagree with both of you sometimes. If both of you left it would quickly become a very boring place

Turfdawg67
09-10-2019, 03:22 PM

Don't forget praising Kirby, Pruitt, Herman and Morris all while bashing JoMo.

Commercecomet24
09-10-2019, 03:43 PM

Lol

Got to give you some rep for that. Pretty funny!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to msstate7 again.

Tbonewannabe
09-10-2019, 03:44 PM
Stabler tied for 109th
Bradshaw tied for 146th

Stabler 194 TDs to 222 Ints
Bradshaw 212 TDs to 210 Ints

I think most people don't think about how common INTs were compared to today.

Favre 508 TDs to 336 Ints.
Even Joe Montona didn't even have a 2 to 1 TD to Int ratio. 273 TD to 139 Ints.

Dak has a 2.84 TD to Int ratio which is one of the reasons his rating is so high. 71 TDs to 25 Ints and that doesn't factor his additional 18 rushing TDs which are high for a QB. For comparison, Favre had 14 Rushing TDs in his career.

BrunswickDawg
09-10-2019, 03:47 PM
Stabler 194 TDs to 222 Ints
Bradshaw 212 TDs to 210 Ints

I think most people don't think about how common INTs were compared to today.

Favre 508 TDs to 336 Ints.
Even Joe Montona didn't even have a 2 to 1 TD to Int ratio. 273 TD to 139 Ints.

Dak has a 2.84 TD to Int ratio which is one of the reasons his rating is so high. 71 TDs to 25 Ints and that doesn't factor his additional 18 rushing TDs which are high for a QB. For comparison, Favre had 14 Rushing TDs in his career.

Well, back and Bradshaw and Stabler's day, you could actually defend WR. You breath on them now and get called for PI.

WinningIsRelentless
09-10-2019, 03:55 PM
7 doesn?t have a hair on his a$$ to tell Dak that his face.

DownwardDawg
09-10-2019, 04:03 PM

Lol

Hahaha!!! That one made me laugh.

msstate7
09-10-2019, 04:04 PM
Well, back and Bradshaw and Stabler's day, you could actually defend WR. You breath on them now and get called for PI.

Yep. Comparing passer rating among different eras is not fair for days before now, at all

msstate7
09-10-2019, 04:06 PM
7 doesn?t have a hair on his a$$ to tell Dak that his face.

That he isn't a top 5 all time qb?

Lord McBuckethead
09-10-2019, 04:11 PM

At the same time, you drop Kaepernick into Dan Marino's NFL and dude would have been crazy good for a minute.

Dawg61
09-10-2019, 07:55 PM
If both of you left it would quickly become a very boring place

For scientific purposes lets find out if you're wrong (you are)

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-10-2019, 09:00 PM
For scientific purposes lets find out if you're wrong (you are)

Well my opinion of you just went down lol. Heck, about a quarter of the comments here are made in threads started by SD or 7, and they stimulate discussion in most of the rest. SD is the only one who really puts his theorys out there, and 7 is one of the few who's willing to call BS when the board gets into a cirlejerk. Without them there'd be less posts, less topics to discuss, and less discussions within the remaining topics.

Dawg61
09-10-2019, 09:07 PM
about a quarter of the comments here are made in threads started by SD or 7

That's because half of the threads started on here are by Shotgun alone. Those two (and there's a couple others) bombard this board with posts daily like there isn't anything else on the internet or in life to occupy time with. Over saturation is a real thing and it turns people off. Shotgun and 7 would be wise to actually pay attention to this but they won't. They'll just keep on keeping on and spam post this board with 100+ posts a day. If they'd just breath a little and let some others take up some of the posting you'd see a really amazing thing happen. More posts by more people that would make this board broader and more interesting. Trust.

BB30
09-11-2019, 02:25 PM
That's because half of the threads started on here are by Shotgun alone. Those two (and there's a couple others) bombard this board with posts daily like there isn't anything else on the internet or in life to occupy time with. Over saturation is a real thing and it turns people off. Shotgun and 7 would be wise to actually pay attention to this but they won't. They'll just keep on keeping on and spam post this board with 100+ posts a day. If they'd just breath a little and let some others take up some of the posting you'd see a really amazing thing happen. More posts by more people that would make this board broader and more interesting. Trust.

I remember a time when you "spammed the board" as well. Don't act like you don't enjoy a good argument/disagreement.

Shotgun is hit or miss ha. Never know what mood he is going to be in and if he is going to be extremely positive or extremely negative there really isn't an in between with him. It definitely creates some interesting threads.

7 just seems like a debbie downer all of the time. Which is ok we need those views too.

Generally the truth will ile somewhere in the middle of those two and their views. It all makes the board interesting though.

BTW your post was kind of spammy in and of itself having very little to do with the actual post topic. Why feel the need to rain on shotgun and 7's parade?