PDA

View Full Version : Pruitt: Compares Tennessee to the Titanic

TrapGame
09-10-2019, 08:42 AM
(Borrowed from SPS)

Coach Asparagus is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

https://sports.yahoo.com/after-another-crushing-loss-tennessee-coach-jeremy-pruitt-compares-his-program-to-the-titanic-180647333.html

"I think 'Titanic' came out maybe when I was in college. When the boat starts going down, remember all the mice running to the top, right? We have had a few that left our program, but you will figure out who wants to be a Tennessee Vol and who don't,? Pruitt said. "I can tell you this: I want to. I know the standards and expectations that we have and the men on our staff and the character that we have. You will see the best of the players at Tennessee throughout the year."

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2019, 08:46 AM
Tennessee is in a predicament.

Without knowing if Pruitt is the right guy for the job, they do have to clean up the program before they can hope to move forward.

Not sure what the best way is to go about that

Maroonthirteen
09-10-2019, 08:47 AM
Dumb as a post.

Dawgology
09-10-2019, 08:48 AM
Tennessee is in a predicament.

Without knowing if Pruitt is the right guy for the job, they do have to clean up the program before they can hope to move forward.

Not sure what the best way is to go about that

Yep. They are screwed for the forseeable future. With the right hire they could be back in a couple of years with their money and fan support but I don't trust Tennessee to ever make the right hire.

BeardoMSU
09-10-2019, 08:52 AM
That's painful.

Dawgology
09-10-2019, 08:56 AM
(Borrowed from SPS)

Coach Asparagus is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

https://sports.yahoo.com/after-another-crushing-loss-tennessee-coach-jeremy-pruitt-compares-his-program-to-the-titanic-180647333.html

Croom flashbacks. Ugh...

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2019, 08:57 AM
Yep. They are screwed for the forseeable future. With the right hire they could be back in a couple of years with their money and fan support but I don't trust Tennessee to ever make the right hire.

But that's the thing. There are so many bad apples in the program right now, even if they hire the RIGHT guy, it's going to take some time

TrapGame
09-10-2019, 08:58 AM

Especially not with Fulmer calling the shots.

Tbonewannabe
09-10-2019, 09:14 AM
But that's the thing. There are so many bad apples in the program right now, even if they hire the RIGHT guy, it's going to take some time

They need someone that will come in and clean up everything with no bowl expectations. They need building from the ground up. I don't think Pruitt is that guy.

TrapGame
09-10-2019, 09:22 AM
They need someone that will come in and clean up everything with no bowl expectations. They need building from the ground up. I don't think Pruitt is that guy.

No way is Pruitt capable of rebuilding a program like Tennessee. They need an older coach that has been around the block. Too bad Mac Brown went to UNC. Maybe Bill Clark could do it. Tommy Tuberville might could do it.

Tbonewannabe
09-10-2019, 09:24 AM
No way is Pruitt capable of rebuilding a program like Tennessee. They need an older coach that has been around the block. Too bad Mac Brown went to UNC. Maybe Bill Clark could do it. Tommy Tuberville might could do it.

Homerun hire would be Urban but he isn't coming back for that job. Honestly, Mullen would have been a great hire for them. He was with Urban everywhere they rebuilt a program or from the ground up. UT has to HATE UF for stealing him the last second.

Johnson85
09-10-2019, 09:27 AM

The challenge Tennessee has is they are toxic enough that it's going to be hard to make the right hire. Their best chance is to hire a retread who is a solid coach (Schiano probably would have been good for them) and just show that they can leave the coach alone for four years.

Now the problem they have is they have hired an unproven guy who seems dumb as a post, so they probably do need to move sooner rather than later, but if they don't give him at least another year and probably two, then they are going to be in the same situation as far as not being able to make a decent hire. If they wait, maybe they will bottom out to the point that coaching candidates will believe that expectations will be a little less insane going forward.

BulldogBear
09-10-2019, 09:30 AM
Tennessee's problem may get better with the mystical "right hire" but will not be solved because that isn't the reason they are no longer nationally relevant. The reason for that is that they no longer have an advantage in the 2 key areas that used to give them an advantage in recruiting, especially compared to the other SEC schools, although Vandy still scores low on one of the factors. When Tennessee was a national power it was because they recruited effectively nationally. These are: (1) Big stadium with lots of folks and good atmosphere....everyone in the SEC except Vandy and loads of other P5 schools have that now. (2) On TV every week...yep, UT and every P5 school now. Unfortunately paradigms change every so often in the sport and things change. Certain schools get left behind by those changes or are affected in some positive or negative way. For example, it's why Tulane isn't in the SEC, Yale isn't in the AP Top 25, Florida State admits male students, and Georgia State has a football program. The "right hire" won't bring UT back on par with Bama or UGA at this point but it may bring them up to the same level as USCe or Mississippi State for example. But Tennessee being a consistent Top 15 team? Those days are gone until when and if another paradigm shift favors them. It's just the way it works. And schools like UT make it worse because they won't realize it for too long and they will pour gas on the dumpster fire via the coaching carousel looking for the "right hire" that ultimately won't live up to their now unrealistic expectations.

Florida could be in danger of this as well if the hunchback doesn't prove to be the next Urban Meyer.

BrunswickDawg
09-10-2019, 09:30 AM
I consider all this karma for the way Phat Phil stabbed Johnny Majors in the back.

TrapGame
09-10-2019, 09:43 AM
I consider all this karma for the way Phat Phil stabbed Johnny Majors in the back.

He's the reason Tennessee is in this mess to begin with. And now he's running the show in the AD's office. Tennessee will be fighting Vandy for the bottom of the East for quite some time.

Johnson85
09-10-2019, 10:29 AM
Tennessee's problem may get better with the mystical "right hire" but will not be solved because that isn't the reason they are no longer nationally relevant. The reason for that is that they no longer have an advantage in the 2 key areas that used to give them an advantage in recruiting, especially compared to the other SEC schools, although Vandy still scores low on one of the factors. When Tennessee was a national power it was because they recruited effectively nationally. These are: (1) Big stadium with lots of folks and good atmosphere....everyone in the SEC except Vandy and loads of other P5 schools have that now. (2) On TV every week...yep, UT and every P5 school now. Unfortunately paradigms change every so often in the sport and things change. Certain schools get left behind by those changes or are affected in some positive or negative way. For example, it's why Tulane isn't in the SEC, Yale isn't in the AP Top 25, Florida State admits male students, and Georgia State has a football program. The "right hire" won't bring UT back on par with Bama or UGA at this point but it may bring them up to the same level as USCe or Mississippi State for example. But Tennessee being a consistent Top 15 team? Those days are gone until when and if another paradigm shift favors them. It's just the way it works. And schools like UT make it worse because they won't realize it for too long and they will pour gas on the dumpster fire via the coaching carousel looking for the "right hire" that ultimately won't live up to their now unrealistic expectations.

Florida could be in danger of this as well if the hunchback doesn't prove to be the next Urban Meyer.

This is the answer for UT. If they had fans and an administration that could accept that they belong in the same tier as USCe, then they could potentially make a hire that would overperform and at least scare UGA every once in a while and consistently compete for 2nd or 3rd in the division. But as long they are going to act crazy whenever they aren't nationally relevant, it's going to be hard for them to have enough stability to get out of dumpster fire mode.

Commercecomet24
09-10-2019, 10:33 AM

Yep they guy is a total slime ball. I'm enjoying watching that program fall apart at the seams. How that fat rascal has duped the UT people for so long is beyond me.

BrunswickDawg
09-10-2019, 10:41 AM
Yep they guy is a total slime ball. I'm enjoying watching that program fall apart at the seams. How that fat rascal has duped the UT people for so long is beyond me.

You mean these fans? Well, you see.....

https://dubsism.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/tennessee-junior-and-lulu.jpg

Commercecomet24
09-10-2019, 10:45 AM

Excellent!

Johnson85
09-10-2019, 12:51 PM

Everytime I see that, I think it's a part of an SNL skit, and then I realize that I guess it's real?

BrunswickDawg
09-10-2019, 01:43 PM
Everytime I see that, I think it's a part of an SNL skit, and then I realize that I guess it's real?

It's real, and it's spectacular.

NCDawg
09-10-2019, 02:54 PM
All you guys blasting Pruitt and Tennessee, the season is a long ways from over. Let's wait and see how the season plays out. We should beat them, but you never know. I remember they came on last year and beat Auburn and Kentucky pretty good.

Johnson85
09-10-2019, 04:11 PM
All you guys blasting Pruitt and Tennessee, the season is a long ways from over. Let's wait and see how the season plays out. We should beat them, but you never know. I remember they came on last year and beat Auburn and Kentucky pretty good.

They didn't come on so much as just continue their crazy inconsistency. Beat Auburn, then got blown out by Bama and lost by 3 to USC (neither of which were bad), squeezed by the Charlotte 49'ers 14-3, had a big win against UK, and then got blown out by Missouri (8-5) and Vandy (6-7).

Bothrops
09-10-2019, 05:24 PM

Now now...let's not make fun of mountain folk.

Dawgfan77
09-10-2019, 06:14 PM
Now now...let's not make fun of mountain folk.
If I?m not mistaken that was taken at the 98 SEC championship

chef dixon
09-10-2019, 06:21 PM
Greg Schiano is laughing his ass off

RocketDawg
09-10-2019, 07:59 PM
Dumb as a post.

Yeah, he sure sounds that way, but I just looked up his education and he went to Hoover High School (one of the better public high schools in the state), Middle Tennessee State for 2 years, then UAT for 2 years. He might have been passed due to being a football player at all the schools.

Doesn't a head coach in Division I have to have a master's degree? The Wikipedia article didn't mention any graduate school.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
09-11-2019, 02:10 AM
"Doesn't a head coach in Division I have to have a master's degree?" Hardly. Jeremy grew up in Dekalb County Alabama and graduated from Plainview High School in Rainsville. He coached at Hoover High School.

Lord McBuckethead
09-11-2019, 01:12 PM
Homerun hire would be Urban but he isn't coming back for that job. Honestly, Mullen would have been a great hire for them. He was with Urban everywhere they rebuilt a program or from the ground up. UT has to HATE UF for stealing him the last second.

Tenn hates UF for many reasons. Add a new one to the list.

Matt3467
09-11-2019, 01:42 PM

Nah Florida was Mullen's obvious dream job. If he didn't do it then he would've screwed over another team down the road for them.

TrapGame
09-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Nah Florida was Mullen's obvious dream job. If he didn't do it then he would've screwed over another team down the road for them.

Mullen's dream job was any job that got him out of Starkville. Pretty much every November confirmed that.

RocketDawg
09-11-2019, 02:05 PM
"Doesn't a head coach in Division I have to have a master's degree?" Hardly. Jeremy grew up in Dekalb County Alabama and graduated from Plainview High School in Rainsville. He coached at Hoover High School.

OK. I must have misread the Wikipedia article. I know he's from Rainsville.

BB30
09-11-2019, 02:10 PM
Geeze and we complain about our program. We are extremely fortunate that we have had the extended success up to this point and look to be keeping it heading in the right direction. Tennessee is a dumpster fire and they shouldn't ever be this bad. At a minimum they should be an 8 win program year in and year out with 9 and 10 win seasons sprinkled in.

They have been absolutely atrocious for a while. Will be tough to right that ship.

Randolph Dupree
09-11-2019, 03:32 PM
Tennessee is done for the foreseeable future imo. First up they are still paying Butch, so that's got to go into consideration for what to do with Pruitt. If this thing keeps spiraling you could actually see him fired 3/4 of the way through the year and Fulmer take over...what a circus. Add in the circus of the last coaching search and it's chaos. Now factor in the fact that Tennessee hasn't be relevant for 15 or 16 years and the bottom line is that Tennessee has lost their brand.

It's just all being run so shitty from the administration on down that I just don't see how it comes back anytime soon.

Johnson85
09-11-2019, 03:59 PM
Mullen's dream job was any job that got him out of Starkville. Pretty much every November confirmed that.

Nah. Mullen would have left for anybody that paid him a dollar more. But his "dream job" is anywhere he thinks he can win a national championship. I could see him leaving Florida for another place that can win a national championship just because I think he wears on people and he doesn't have patience for dealing with BS from fans and administrators.

DancingRabbit
09-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Looks like Bryce Thompson is re-boarding the Titanic.

If the kid is really innocent, this looks like a brave move by Pruitt. If he screws up again, Pruitt is toast.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2019/09/11/bryce-thompson-tennessee-football-reinstated-after-arrest-suspension/2292703001/

Tbonewannabe
09-12-2019, 09:27 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TrapGame again.

Correct and him lining up going to Maryland proves that even if it fell through.

Tbonewannabe
09-12-2019, 09:29 AM
Looks like Bryce Thompson is re-boarding the Titanic.

If the kid is really innocent, this looks like a brave move by Pruitt. If he screws up again, Pruitt is toast.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2019/09/11/bryce-thompson-tennessee-football-reinstated-after-arrest-suspension/2292703001/

You get to say that you will shoot up the school if you are a Freshman All American.