PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Complaining about Game Times

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2019, 04:51 PM
If we are going to go down this road of TV while also wanting fans to still come to the games, then SEC HAVE to start investing in their stadiums to make them cooler, more comfortable, & safer for fans.

I realize how much money we get from TV, so I'm not going to complain about the game times all that much, but we should ABSO-17ing- LUTELY be using a portion of those funds to create a desirable venue to watch daytime games in months of August & September. What we are doing now is pure & absolute insanity & it's going to end up putting a massive dent in the college football we know & love

However, I'm sure we'll build a disc golf stadium next instead.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/alabama-ad-president-issue-statement-complaining-about-noon-kickoff-times/

starkvegasdawg
09-09-2019, 04:56 PM
According to some on this board they're all just a bunch of shaved pu$$ies for griping about playing in the heat.

Liverpooldawg
09-09-2019, 05:04 PM
Well back in the day, like in the 1980s, nearly every game kicked off at 1:30. Most games weren't televised so if you wanted to see it, you went.

Liverpooldawg
09-09-2019, 05:05 PM
If we are going to go down this road of TV while also wanting fans to still come to the games, then SEC HAVE to start investing in their stadiums to make them cooler, more comfortable, & safer for fans.

I realize how much money we get from TV, so I'm not going to complain about the game times all that much, but we should ABSO-17ing- LUTELY be using a portion of those funds to create a desirable venue to watch daytime games in months of August & September. What we are doing now is pure & absolute insanity & it's going to end up putting a massive dent in the college football we know & love

However, I'm sure we'll build a disc golf stadium next instead.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/alabama-ad-president-issue-statement-complaining-about-noon-kickoff-times/

Have you cut your check yet?

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Have you cut your check yet?

We've been through this

dantheman4248
09-09-2019, 05:33 PM
I cut my check with 6 years of tuition. I have every right to complain.

Coursesuper
09-09-2019, 05:36 PM
The entire game is controlled by TV, that's just a given.

The NCAA has absolutely zero to do with football at the Boxl division level. So ESPN who literally owns bowl games that no one attends, is only in this for the advertising $$$.

The SEC takes millions a year from the same entity.

Do you think they give 2 fvcks about a school putting asses in seats? Short answer NO.

The thing is we at MSU have to have these monies to fund our other sports so we have no choice but to suck it up, the Bammers on the other hand not so much, they can bitch and probably won't see another game in the heat for the foreseeable future.

MetEdDawg
09-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Greg Byrne is smart. He knows that his fan base cares about stuff like this because of the type of program they are. They expect night games because they know for a fact they are a Top 2 program in college football with the viewership to back it up. So he's stumping on solid ground for his fan base.

Cohen can't complain about it because honestly our fan base gets pissed off about everything. We bitch about the heat, then we make fun of Bama for bitching about not wanting to play at 11. We have entirely too many people that bitch entirely too much and about way too many things.

Cooterpoot
09-09-2019, 06:15 PM
According to some on this board they're all just a bunch of shaved pu$$ies for griping about playing in the heat.

They are. And AL’s entitlement is laughable. They’re already the TX of the old SWC.

DownwardDawg
09-09-2019, 06:22 PM
Well back in the day, like in the 1980s, nearly every game kicked off at 1:30. Most games weren't televised so if you wanted to see it, you went.

It wasn’t hot back then though. Remember? ***

viverlibre
09-09-2019, 06:26 PM
Good for them, we probably volunteered to take the day kicks, like we turn ourselves in and don't fight the punishment (which ends up being more severe than if we had put up a challenge).

RocketDawg
09-09-2019, 07:57 PM
How was their attendance last weekend against New Mexico State? I never flipped to their game since it was on the same time as ours. Edit: Just looked it up, and the announced attendance was 100,700. But the article said there were a lot of empty seats, and most of the students were gone by 4th quarter.

It's not just us ... all the SEC teams have been playing in hot weather.

I'm not sure what Shotgun means by making the stadium "cooler and safer". If it's to put up shades like Washington, those wouldn't do all that much good given our stadium orientation, and they'd be expensive. Cantilevering something like that isn't all that easy. Maybe having cooled and heated concourses would be possible, that would also be expensive and drive ticket prices even higher. I'm not sure there's a real solution that's reasonable.

Tbonewannabe
09-09-2019, 08:11 PM
Bama also gets CBS game of the week which is the 2:30 game so what Byrne is saying is if they aren't National game of the week then they should be 7:00 ESPN game of the week.

Coursesuper
09-09-2019, 08:16 PM
How was their attendance last weekend against New Mexico State? I never flipped to their game since it was on the same time as ours. Edit: Just looked it up, and the announced attendance was 100,700. But the article said there were a lot of empty seats, and most of the students were gone by 4th quarter.

It's not just us ... all the SEC teams have been playing in hot weather.

I'm not sure what Shotgun means by making the stadium "cooler and safer". If it's to put up shades like Washington, those wouldn't do all that much good given our stadium orientation, and they'd be expensive. Cantilevering something like that isn't all that easy. Maybe having cooled and heated concourses would be possible, that would also be expensive and drive ticket prices even higher. I'm not sure there's a real solution that's reasonable.

Yep, I also don't think the UDub comparison works for us either, when it's not raining in Seattle they have some pretty awesome weather so I'm not sure shade is big issue for them.

TUSK
09-09-2019, 09:06 PM
Shit, I'm just happy we don't have to play most every SEC game after they've had an off date prior to Bammer...

And yeah, Rocket, there wasn't 101K for the NM State game... In the ~90K range from what I've gathered...

I've been looking to see if there has been any bitching regarding the heat, but have yet to find anything... however, the concession deal there was really good when I last attended...

Apoplectic
09-10-2019, 07:20 AM
I don't normally agree with any of bammers whining - god knows they are little bitches!. And as we all know, since sabans is scared of competition with scheduling, he ends up with the directional school time slot. BUT with all the channels, if you're not the UGA or LSU big national game, then why not have the option to move your game time to 6pm? There's plenty of other SEC schools playing tough games in these early weeks - you could fill the other ESPN time slots with those games.

JoseBrown
09-10-2019, 10:32 AM
Good for them, we probably volunteered to take the day kicks, like we turn ourselves in and don't fight the punishment (which ends up being more severe than if we had put up a challenge).

Fight the punishment? We recommended the punishment. We knocked on the NCAAs door and handed them an envelope with crime and punishment inside. We better be squeaky clean the next 3 years or we'll wake them up.

RougeDawg
09-10-2019, 11:23 AM
The mid day September games in the south are pure hypocrisy. Given, our entire society has been acclimated to an AC lifestyle and has a difficult time acclimating to heat. But we constantly hear about changing rules, practice limitations and other things, but these same people allow games to be played in heat stroke risk conditions? I spend about 50% of the waking hours outside year round so any temp changes do not bother me, but most people stay in a controlled climate almost all of their waking hours. This should be taken into consideration, as well as player safety.

By applying basic logic, anyone can see they really don?t care about player safety. Money talks. Same as with every aspect in life. Look at decisions or laws and follow the money. That will give you your answer almost every time. Until society realizes this, keep expecting to get the brunt of these decisions.

Tbonewannabe
09-10-2019, 12:01 PM
Bottom line is Saban only wants to play during the day when it is CBS national game of the week. Otherwise the other SEC schools should have to fill in those games.

Apoplectic
09-10-2019, 03:06 PM
which means sabans wont play at 230 until mid oct since hes nutless with out of conference scheduling

drunkernhelldawg
09-10-2019, 03:46 PM

I remember that. It doesn't seem like the heat and the sun were as intense then as they are now. These last several months have been intolerably hot and humid.

I recall even a few cool September evenings in the past.

Todd4State
09-10-2019, 04:14 PM
I do think that this is something the SEC needs to address in their next TV deal. In most SEC towns heat is a major issue and someone could definitely pass away because of it.

Playing football at 11 AM or 2 PM in the South just isn't good common sense.

ShotgunDawg
09-10-2019, 04:19 PM
I do think that this is something the SEC needs to address in their next TV deal. In most SEC towns heat is a major issue and someone could definitely pass away because of it.

Playing football at 11 AM or 2 PM in the South just isn't good common sense.

So what's the solution then?

Todd4State
09-10-2019, 04:46 PM
So what's the solution then?

More night/evening games in September. Have 2-3 5:00 slots and then 2-3 8 PM slots.

No 11:00 or 2:30 slots.

shannondawg
09-10-2019, 04:57 PM
Hell, back years ago listening to 690 you wouldn't beiieve the bitching and complaining about who the tv announcers would be. Probably still do.