PDA

View Full Version : My 2 cents to possibly help with the gameday issues

Todd4State
09-09-2019, 12:35 AM
It seems like MSU has a lot of the same issues every year with traffic flow and this year I think it was the worst it has ever been for game one as far as concessions, getting into the stadium and etc.

One thing I would suggest doing is having a JUCO jamboree or kickoff classic the week before the season starts.

Invite Co-Lin, EMCC, Jones, Hinds, Northwest MS, and MS Gulf Coast and have them play a triple header.

It would be a smaller crowd- which is fine for the intent- which is to troubleshoot gameday issues as much as possible. I would imagine that had MSU done this we would have uncovered the issues with the metal detectors not working, possibly concession stand issues, and maybe would have unveiled some traffic flow issues as well. They could have tested out the sound system, the phone issues and things like that. Allow tailgating in The Junction to see what issues are potentially there as well.

And we could scout JUCO players as well as a bonus. But the unique thing about a triple header is you could have a game at 11 AM, a game at 2:30, and a game at 6:00.

This way, they could fix a lot of the issues before the fans have to suffer.

dantheman4248
09-09-2019, 02:02 AM
They had a whole season worth of a lot of these issues (metal detectors and the fact that the amount they have is too few) and plenty of experience with others (concession needs, traffic flow, etc.). The sound system and phone issues were improved as promised. This idea wouldn't help troubleshoot anything. They simply dropped the ball.

HOWEVER, I do love the idea and I believe it should be done anyways if possible. Getting those kids to basically have an unofficial visit to campus makes too much sense for us to ever consider doing it.

Westdawg
09-09-2019, 02:47 AM
Your biggest issue with this is:
A- JUCOs will need to find funds for travel outside of their normal budgets. This is actually a bigger issue than you might think.
B- what are the ncaa recruiting intangibles related to putting on this type event?
C- if we do it, then you can bet that all of the big 3 in MS would want their opportunity to host said event, which means we would might only get to do this once every three years.
D- no way to truly test the concession vendors. You're talking about 1500-5000 max in the stadium. This would not really offer enough opportunity to test all our gates and event support staff. Remember, you're talking about a Jamboree, not a playoff or championship game(s). Early/pre-season, extreme heat, and extremely small fan bases to draw from.
***on the flip-side, I'd LOVE the opportunity for our staff to see all these guys up close and personal and get them on campus. You couldn't beat that kind of chance

Apoplectic
09-09-2019, 04:45 AM
or reference the 149 years of previous football seasons

Dawgbite
09-09-2019, 06:44 AM
Part of the issue is that last year the metal detectors at our gate were not even plugged up, they were merely props. This year they are functional because I set it off and held up the line while they wand searched me. Here is what I had on, a pair of all plastic flip flops, a pair of underwear, a pair of shorts with elastic waist, no belt, and a T-shirt. I took my hat off and put it in the tray with my shades and my phone. I left my wallet in the truck. Wasn't wearing a watch and have no surgical hardware in my body. They were confiscating footballs from the kids too because there is nothing that makes me fear for my security more than a 6 year old with a mini Nerf football!

WinningIsRelentless
09-09-2019, 06:56 AM
As much as y?all bitch about this crap every year I would think one of y?all would start a game day management company and bid on the contract. With all the profits y?all could make then y?all could donate the money to put a roof over the stadium.

Lord McBuckethead
09-09-2019, 06:58 AM
As much as y?all bitch about this crap every year I would think one of y?all would start a game day management company and bid on the contract. With all the profits y?all could make then y?all could donate the money to put a roof over the stadium.

Boom.

ShotgunDawg
09-09-2019, 07:49 AM
And you guys want to sell beer?

Beer?

Selling beer should be nothing. It should be the easiest transition known to man since every pro team sells beer.

But do you really think the neanderthals in stadium ops could handle it? Do you really think there is enough competence on campus to handle selling alcohol?

For far too long, MSU has hired people from Starkville & promoted from within. This is why YOU MUST go outside of the family & bring in real professionals that have experience at different levels of sports.

Mjoelner34
09-09-2019, 08:36 AM
Just talked with a student at work who was working at one of the metal detectors. I asked him if the metal detectors had power cords or ran on batteries and he said they do both. He said the batteries weren't charged on some of them. That could explain why people were still being wanded after they went through without setting it off. This same shit was happening last year. What kind of mental midgit has a lack of forethought so small that they cant even properly prepare their equipment ahead of time?