PDA

View Full Version : So here's a question about stupid hot games like this.

BulldogBear
09-08-2019, 06:31 PM
Pay attention SEC and NCAA. I can't believe lawyers aren't all over this already.

Postponing a game because of bad weather is not unusual. We are just used to seeing it have to do with lightning or other "wet" related weather incidents.

Schedule games as usual of course. But what is really stopping venues and/or schools and/or conferences and/or NCAA from postponing scheduled day games when it is determined that unsafe "hot" weather issues exist? How is it any different? What's wrong with saying it is too 17ing hot so this game will be postponed until 700pm.

Yes, there are issues of folks that can't stay. Yes there is tv slot issues on the original slot as well as where (and if) the game can be shown at the postponed time. But those issues aren't anything that doesn't occur when a postponement happens for other reasons. They do it all. The . Time.

Gutter Cobreh
09-08-2019, 06:52 PM
Pay attention SEC and NCAA. I can't believe lawyers aren't all over this already.

Postponing a game because of bad weather is not unusual. We are just used to seeing it have to do with lightning or other "wet" related weather incidents.

Schedule games as usual of course. But what is really stopping venues and/or schools and/or conferences and/or NCAA from postponing scheduled day games when it is determined that unsafe "hot" weather issues exist? How is it any different? What's wrong with saying it is too 17ing hot so this game will be postponed until 700pm.

Yes, there are issues of folks that can't stay. Yes there is tv slot issues on the original slot as well as where (and if) the game can be shown at the postponed time. But those issues aren't anything that doesn't occur when a postponement happens for other reasons. They do it all. The . Time.

Weather related delays are for the protection of those on the field, not the ones in the stands. As long as the players have what is needed to keep them hydrated and cool, there is no reason for postponement. You're an adult. It isn't the NCAA or SEC's responsibility to make sure you're comfortable.

Lord McBuckethead
09-08-2019, 07:04 PM
Hell with watch espn, we can start at 9, who gives a shit.

MrKotter
09-08-2019, 07:22 PM

Why do people expect others to think for them now? Have we become this stupid? It?s simple as hell. If it is to hot for you then stay home.

BulldogBear
09-08-2019, 07:35 PM
Weather related delays are for the protection of those on the field, not the ones in the stands. As long as the players have what is needed to keep them hydrated and cool, there is no reason for postponement. You're an adult. It isn't the NCAA or SEC's responsibility to make sure you're comfortable.

What you is said is true. But to quote Obi-Wan Kenobi... only "from a certain point of view." It all makes perfect sense if it was 30 years ago but now, the sport has overgrown those times to a degree. People are now investing thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars on SINGLE games. Even average fans who feel like the bank is broken paying for outrageously priced seats invests no less. And let's face it, almost every ticket of every game at P5 school is outrageous. The only exceptions may be uninteresting non conference games in the upper decks across the nation. These are no longer "matches" in the sense of non rev sports with a few dozen attendees and the more the merrier. These are now huge events complete with 60K "investors" and "donors." It is not as simple as the "be a big boy and stay home if you want" attitude suggests. Because that's exactly where it leads. Because that's exactly where it leads. Yes, that was typed twice on purpose. Let's turn it around and say, "no, you be a big boy and take of your investors." The investors in these "events" deserve better and their safety absolutely had better be on the mind of schools, conferences, and the especially the NCAA.

Homedawg
09-08-2019, 07:38 PM
While it was hot, yes..... This has turned into nothing but a snowflake country. Hell the guys playing have pads on and are way hotter than you in the stands and they are fine. People act like there has never been a game as hot as yesterday. Good grief. Soft.

Gutter Cobreh
09-08-2019, 07:55 PM
What you is said is true. But to quote Obi-Wan Kenobi... only "from a certain point of view." It all makes perfect sense if it was 30 years ago but now, the sport has overgrown those times to a degree. People are now investing thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars on SINGLE games. Even average fans who feel like the bank is broken paying for outrageously priced seats invests no less. And let's face it, almost every ticket of every game at P5 school is outrageous. The only exceptions may be uninteresting non conference games in the upper decks across the nation. These are no longer "matches" in the sense of non rev sports with a few dozen attendees and the more the merrier. These are now huge events complete with 60K "investors" and "donors." It is not as simple as the "be a big boy and stay home if you want" attitude suggests. Because that's exactly where it leads. Because that's exactly where it leads. Yes, that was typed twice on purpose. Let's turn it around and say, "no, you be a big boy and take of your investors." The investors in these "events" deserve better and their safety absolutely had better be on the mind of schools, conferences, and the especially the NCAA.

Every time I pay my cable bill, I invest. TV deals generate a hell of a lot more revenue than any tickets being sold.

Todd4State
09-08-2019, 07:57 PM
While it was hot, yes..... This has turned into nothing but a snowflake country. Hell the guys playing have pads on and are way hotter than you in the stands and they are fine. People act like there has never been a game as hot as yesterday. Good grief. Soft.

The players have access to misters and water among other things as well. Fans in a lot of instances don't or don't have access to it as conveniently.

msstate7
09-08-2019, 07:59 PM
The players have access to misters and water among other things as well. Fans in a lot of instances don't or don't have access to it as conveniently.

Then make a stadium rule where if temps are over say 85 at kickoff, you can bring in a cooler that's no bigger than 12"x12" or something

viverlibre
09-08-2019, 08:05 PM
Then make a stadium rule where if temps are over say 85 at kickoff, you can bring in a cooler that's no bigger than 12"x12" or something

You can already bring in water bottles and refill them for free (at least in the 300s).

Coach007
09-08-2019, 08:06 PM
There are ways.... FOr sure.

Again, a retractable awning, if you would, will lower temps drastically.

HOWEVER... Can I please just point out that the people before us.... What did they ever do? This is not something new.

viverlibre
09-08-2019, 08:07 PM
Why do people expect others to think for them now? Have we become this stupid? It?s simple as hell. If it is to hot for you then stay home.

I've been saying this for years. If young, old, in poor health or very out of shape, watch September day games from on a TV.

Homedawg
09-08-2019, 08:08 PM

I agree w this. But they have more than 10, 20 30 years ago. That's all I'm saying

msstate7
09-08-2019, 08:08 PM
I've been saying this for years. If young, old, in poor health or very out of shape, watch September day games from on a TV.

I agree, but I can also see people wanting to use the tickets they pay dearly for

Homedawg
09-08-2019, 08:09 PM
There are ways.... FOr sure.

Again, a retractable awning, if you would, will lower temps drastically.

HOWEVER... Can I please just point out that the people before us.... What did they ever do? This is not something new.

Now this we can agree with!!!!

viverlibre
09-08-2019, 08:33 PM
I agree, but I can also see people wanting to use the tickets they pay dearly for

I understand, but your health or the health of a loved one is not worth risking.

BulldogBear
09-08-2019, 08:36 PM

That's kind of where I was going with it the more I got to thinking about it. When it's stupid hot, just let people bring in plenty of stuff for goodness sake. During the "screening" check for weapons and then send people on their way, even if they've got 15 gatorade bottles.

Treemydawg
09-08-2019, 08:53 PM
You fellas are acting like it was 120 degrees out there. Hell it couldn?t have been no more than a 115

Maroonthirteen
09-08-2019, 08:54 PM
I think you make a good point. I had the same thoughts on the drive home. We can stop a game for lightening miles away but not potential heat stroke. Games moved for hurricanes. All kids of events. Just show another game in the Slot. Move the day game to night. Not that hard.

For the guy saying toughen up, I sat through that whole game. So I?m not soft. But that crowd Saturday was pathetic. So if you advise people to Make adult decisions, get ready for crowds and atmosphere similar to the mid 80s.

Don?t get upset either when this Saturday?s game is extremely lame and basically a neutral environment for Kstate.

dangeroushero
09-08-2019, 09:04 PM
You fellas are acting like it was 120 degrees out there. Hell it couldn?t have been no more than a 115

115 in the student section yesterday confirmed already

Todd4State
09-08-2019, 09:11 PM

That would help. I wonder if they could install misters that attach to the upper deck and then to the front of the first row that shoot mist over the lower deck of the east and west sides? May not be possible. They could build a cover for the upper deck and then attach fans under the roof. The Cardinals have that in some covered sections of Busch Stadium.

I have to believe that the technology is there to keep Davis Wade cooler during 100+ heat index days.

Todd4State
09-08-2019, 09:13 PM
I think you make a good point. I had the same thoughts on the drive home. We can stop a game for lightening miles away but not potential heat stroke. Games moved for hurricanes. All kids of events. Just show another game in the Slot. Move the day game to night. Not that hard.

For the guy saying toughen up, I sat through that whole game. So I?m not soft. But that crowd Saturday was pathetic. So if you advise people to Make adult decisions, get ready for crowds and atmosphere similar to the mid 80s.

Don?t get upset either when this Saturday?s game is extremely lame and basically a neutral environment for Kstate.

A lot of people don't take heat related advisories seriously enough. It's an issue throughout the entire SEC.

Cooterpoot
09-08-2019, 09:17 PM
Stop being a *****. It?s been this hot in Sept. since there was football.

SPMT
09-08-2019, 09:17 PM

Dude, what the **** is wrong with you?!

Postpone a game because of heat....drink....water and an electrolyte drink!

If you?re not willing to do that stay home. What the **** is wrong with you?!

SPMT
09-08-2019, 09:19 PM
A lot of people don't take heat related advisories seriously enough. It's an issue throughout the entire SEC.

Yeah....it’s serious because the dumbasses don’t take it serious!!!! Not the NCAA or SEC responsibility. Take responsibility for yourself, like a grownup.

Gayest thread ever.

Cooterpoot
09-08-2019, 09:21 PM
I worked out a 14U girls softball team today from 2:00-5:30. Not a single one of them complained about the heat. WTF has happened to grown men these days that make them complain about going to a hot game? Jesus!

Homedawg
09-08-2019, 09:24 PM
I worked out a 14U girls softball team today from 2:00-5:30. Not a single one of them complained about the heat. WTF has happened to grown men these days that make them complain about going to a hot game? Jesus!

Bc you don't have a team full of snowflakes.....it's nuts. It's hot. No shit. It's September in Mississippi!

RougeDawg
09-08-2019, 09:24 PM

Do you want a real answer? If I give it I?ll probably be banned by the easily triggered mods.

BulldogBear
09-08-2019, 09:28 PM
Dude, what the **** is wrong with you?!

Postpone a game because of heat....drink....water and an electrolyte drink!

If you?re not willing to do that stay home. What the **** is wrong with you?!

Nothing's wrong with me you leaf eater. I went and will go this Saturday. The phrase "suck it up buttercup" literally exits my mouth 5 times or so a day. But I also witnessed people falling out and it's not something to make light of. Spare us the "grow up" mantra. Read every post in the thread before you start ascribing intent. And if you think everything went smoothly yesterday, then YOU WEREN'T THERE. Yes, it was hot. Yes, some of us can take it. But there's nothing wrong with wanting everyone to have a better experience. And there's nothing wrong with expecting "investors" to get a better product.

BulldogBear
09-08-2019, 09:33 PM
Every time I pay my cable bill, I invest. TV deals generate a hell of a lot more revenue than any tickets being sold.

I think this is the real truth of it.

But it shouldn't be, and that's the only thing I'm really complaining about. It can be handled better. And should be.

Maroonthirteen
09-08-2019, 09:35 PM
My problem with it is..... it makes for a sucky atmosphere. Small crowd. Little tailgating.

dantheman4248
09-08-2019, 09:41 PM
Wow I see the real men**** are out and about here.

I personally want an atmosphere where we pack out the entire stadium and everyone is able to enjoy the game without having to worry about dehydration or worse making a decision between their own health and watching / supporting their school. I want a stadium experience that gives fans reasonable entry times and reasonable wait times for concessions. It’s not a hard concept. Not wanting to have to wait for more than 10 minutes for the ability to drink water in 115? degree heat index does not make someone a snowflake. These are fans not players ffs. They aren’t out here training to sit in 100? weather with no water to be able to survive watching and entire game at the stadium without missing anything because you can’t wait in line and watch on tv because they have the alabama game on.

How can asking for a better fan experience make someone a *****. We’re the consumer. Our pockets fund the sport. Provide a decent experience or watch those ticket sales decrease more and more. The stadium being that bare halfway through a 14 point game is extremely discouraging to see. Especially when you know it’s not the product on the field causing it.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-09-2019, 12:26 AM
Why is ole miss always ahead of us when it comes to forward thinking on issues like this? Did you see the tents they had set up yesterday INSIDE the stadium to provide shade for their fans? We wouldn?t have come up with this in 100 years. I just don?t get it. Strickland needs to wake the hell up or we will fall further behind them. I?m about done with our hole bunch.

Dawgtini
09-09-2019, 04:16 AM
Why is ole miss always ahead of us when it comes to forward thinking on issues like this? Did you see the tents they had set up yesterday INSIDE the stadium to provide shade for their fans? We wouldn?t have come up with this in 100 years. I just don?t get it. Strickland needs to wake the hell up or we will fall further behind them. I?m about done with our hole bunch.

They put up the tents when their party deck was condemned smh poor ole misttipi tate

Dawg2003
09-09-2019, 06:34 AM

Because there was no alternative to the softball tournament. There is an alternative to sitting in a hot stadium. It's called ESPN and the SEC Network. For me personally, I see zero reason I would go to a hot stadium when I could enjoy the game from my big screen TV in the air conditioning, with access to food/beverages and a restroom. No paying for parking either.

msbulldog
09-09-2019, 06:36 AM

Strickland???

Maroonthirteen
09-09-2019, 07:05 AM
https://media.giphy.com/media/13eUPRn0BJqhoc/giphy.gif
Strickland???

BulldogDX55
09-09-2019, 07:33 AM
So it seems there are three primary schools of thought in this thread:

1. Convince 40-63k people to suck it up and risk death to give a normal amount of energy and noise for a game. Ideas to convince a ton of people to change their entire demeanor and put their health at risk for the sake of the game include calling them gay, calling them pussies, and letting them know how it was back in my day.

2. Do something about the heat to create a more welcome and safe and energetic environment for the players and fans. Ideas include a UW like awning, delaying games for heat advisory, and doing more for water stations in the concourse.

3. Do nothing. 45k lathargic and miserable fans for a game vs a P5 opponent is fine.

Tough call.

StateDawg44
09-09-2019, 08:00 AM

Exactly. Or if you don't have enough sense to find some shade then you should stay your ass at home. My dog can even understand this concept and pull it off without me having to tell her.

People acting like the heat is some new unexplained phenomenon or something. Pathetic.

speedy1972
09-09-2019, 08:31 AM

1. Convince 40-63k people to suck it up and risk death to give a normal amount of energy and noise for a game. Ideas to convince a ton of people to change their entire demeanor and put their health at risk for the sake of the game include calling them gay, calling them pussies, and letting them know how it was back in my day.

2. Do something about the heat to create a more welcome and safe and energetic environment for the players and fans. Ideas include a UW like awning, delaying games for heat advisory, and doing more for water stations in the concourse.

3. Do nothing. 45k lathargic and miserable fans for a game vs a P5 opponent is fine.

Tough call.

I grew up in the 70's like a lot of you and when we played little league baseball in 100+ heat, the coaches barely gave you a sip of water because they didn't want you to "cramp up". Well we've come a long way since then and no sense in being stupid for the sake of acting tough. No one enjoys sitting through a day game like Saturday, but since tv contracts determine start times, it looks like some hot day games are inevitable. That being said, our administration can do simple things that wouldn't cost a ton of money to make sitting in the sun tolerable. One thing that works is these "water misters" that you see outside some restaurants in places like Florida and Las Vegas where the temp gets scorching. Another thing I see at golf course is buckets of ice water that you can dip towels in to decrease body temperature. They have them at Old Waverly and it's amazing how good they work. How hard could that be?

StateDawg44
09-09-2019, 10:33 AM

Uhhhh wut? Strickland? How far behind are you?

Those tents were a last ditch effort to save face for their party deck debacle. They are also a spectacle of NCAA football. They can have it and you can join them if you are tired of it.

SPMT
09-09-2019, 11:15 AM

Tough call.

The atmosphere did SUCK!!!!

The main thing, including the heat, was the concessions. That compounded it exponentially.

Provide tons of water. Tons of it.

Postponing games, i just don't see how that works.

TUSK
09-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Air Conditioning spelled "doom" for mankind, IMO...

As we evolve and advance technologically, we get "softer", especially in 1st world environments... This is compounded (on an individual basis) as age and health issues increase... And a lot of peeps with the financial bandwith to go to all of the games are a little older than most...

Short answer: One must be personally responsible for knowing one's limitations and be proactive.

That being said, I really, really dig Air Conditioning.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
09-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Hell with watch espn, we can start at 9, who gives a shit.

Ironically the PAC-12 is discussing this option, but for other reasons. I'm all for it.

99jc
09-09-2019, 11:28 AM

As we evolve and advance technologically, we get "softer", especially in 1st world environments... This is compounded (on an individual basis) as age and health issues increase... And a lot of peeps with the financial bandwith to go to all of the games are a little older than most...

Short answer: One must be personally responsible for knowing one's limitations and be proactive.

Tusk this is the 1st post you've made I am totally agreement with. I spent time in the Amazon and it was crazy hot I was dying but the locals who had no electricity never even were phased.

deltadawg63
09-09-2019, 11:41 AM
I grew up in the 70's like a lot of you and when we played little league baseball in 100+ heat, the coaches barely gave you a sip of water because they didn't want you to "cramp up". Well we've come a long way since then and no sense in being stupid for the sake of acting tough. No one enjoys sitting through a day game like Saturday, but since tv contracts determine start times, it looks like some hot day games are inevitable. That being said, our administration can do simple things that wouldn't cost a ton of money to make sitting in the sun tolerable. One thing that works is these "water misters" that you see outside some restaurants in places like Florida and Las Vegas where the temp gets scorching. Another thing I see at golf course is buckets of ice water that you can dip towels in to decrease body temperature. They have them at Old Waverly and it's amazing how good they work. How hard could that be?

I truly wish the SEC schools would negotiate in their TV contracts the ability to waiver TV opportunity on 1 non-conference game per year, even with a $200,000 penalty and I would hope that MSU would have done so this past Saturday. My family and I were there but it was tough and I will be there this week. There could be some 3 week prior to requirement on this for logistic purposes. There has got to be some "meeting in the middle" regarding stadium attendance and TV viewership or the product will eventually suffer in my opinion, especially for the not Top 10 programs. I truly believe if this past Saturday's game would have been at 7:00 p.m. and no TV, the attendance would have been 58-60,000 in the seats. Home opener after a win and USM would have brought more than 1,500 as it appeared.

Maroonthirteen
09-09-2019, 12:28 PM
Ironically the PAC-12 is discussing this option, but for other reasons. I'm all for it.

Seriously that?s the truth. Maybe others with more knowledge than I can provide some insight. But with IP TV on the horizon and basically every game on espn (in some form... Espn 3 etc) why and when will P5 teams have the luxury of prime team tv slots and G5 and lesser having less desirable time slots.

ESPN can show FCS games at 11am and all the P5 games at 230 and later

MadDawg
09-09-2019, 01:48 PM

Having worked with several girls teams thru the years let me just say, um, how do you say it nicely, hmm, uh, I don't believe you.

Commercecomet24
09-09-2019, 01:52 PM

I can agree with this cause I've gotten soft with the central a/c. I don't know about the rest of y'all but we had window units at our house and my daddy never would turn them on because it cost to dang much money he said. We stayed outside all day and worked and played and used box fans and opened the windows at night. I'm like you though I really dig the central a/c now lol

Percho
09-09-2019, 01:57 PM

Try carrying in enough water to last the game.

StateDawg44
09-09-2019, 02:07 PM
Are you implying water isn't readily available to purchase in the games?

BrunswickDawg
09-09-2019, 02:09 PM
I can agree with this cause I've gotten soft with the central a/c. I don't know about the rest of y'all but we had window units at our house and my daddy never would turn them on because it cost to dang much money he said. We stayed outside all day and worked and played and used box fans and opened the windows at night. I'm like you though I really dig the central a/c now lol

Spend all day in overly cold government buildings like I do, and it makes days like Saturday absolutely brutal - and I still do a lot of outside work/site visits plus bike every day.

StateDawg44
09-09-2019, 02:14 PM
It also helps if you can get out in the weather early before it's 85+ and ease into it. Yeah it's still hot no doubt but it's not as big of a shock and impossible to acclimate to as when you are in a/c all day and walk outside, say for lunch, and it's unbearable.

BulldogDX55
09-09-2019, 02:19 PM

Half of the concessions weren't open so there were 20+ minute lines to get water.

dantheman4248
09-09-2019, 02:52 PM

No it wasn’t. Read my thread for details on how terrible the system was. If that was set up like it should have been then there would be nowhere near the complaints.

Lumpy Chucklelips
09-09-2019, 03:00 PM
Haha. Yes boys, I know who our AD is, and I know how to spell our previous AD's name. I was just trying to throw in a little shade towards OM. (No pun intended). Things were getting a little heated (damn; again no pun intended), so I was trying to lighten he mood a little. Have we really gotten to the point where we get ourselves worked up over who thinks who should sit out in the heat or not? C'mon guys, life's too short to get your blood pressure worked up over silly stuff like this. Ain't worth it. Go Dog's.

dantheman4248
09-09-2019, 03:08 PM
Seriously that?s the truth. Maybe others with more knowledge than I can provide some insight. But with IP TV on the horizon and basically every game on espn (in some form... Espn 3 etc) why and when will P5 teams have the luxury of prime team tv slots and G5 and lesser having less desirable time slots.

ESPN can show FCS games at 11am and all the P5 games at 230 and later

Fox / B1G / PAC has figured out that 11 am slot is very profitable and heavily viewed for them.

BoomBoom
09-10-2019, 09:05 AM
I truly wish the SEC schools would negotiate in their TV contracts the ability to waiver TV opportunity on 1 non-conference game per year, even with a $200,000 penalty and I would hope that MSU would have done so this past Saturday. My family and I were there but it was tough and I will be there this week. There could be some 3 week prior to requirement on this for logistic purposes. There has got to be some "meeting in the middle" regarding stadium attendance and TV viewership or the product will eventually suffer in my opinion, especially for the not Top 10 programs. I truly believe if this past Saturday's game would have been at 7:00 p.m. and no TV, the attendance would have been 58-60,000 in the seats. Home opener after a win and USM would have brought more than 1,500 as it appeared.

The school being required to move games when over a certain temp will give them leverage.

But really, this comes down to the school calling up the SEC shitheads and giving them hell, which our leadership won't do, and being proactive with heat compensating methods and fan enjoyment in general, which they also won't do.

Another problem is this can snowball. If fans become convinced that they don't need season tix, because fewer fans are buying them and they can stubhub or whatever for any games that would actually be enjoyable, then more fans will do so, and so on....

Maroonthirteen
09-10-2019, 09:25 AM
Fox / B1G / PAC has figured out that 11 am slot is very profitable and heavily viewed for them.

That may be the case for the B1G and PAC where there are much larger populated NFL cities. I think it’s obvious the least viewed time slot here in the south are the 11am games as OM/State and Ark (smallest pops) are in that time slot every damn week. It seems.

tcdog70
09-10-2019, 09:33 AM
Before we had lights --we played all our games at 1:00. Plus people dressed up in suits. What has happened is people in the South have become soft. I can remember when we got our first A/C. Toughen up People or stay at home.

Jack Lambert
09-10-2019, 10:15 AM
Since there are many more ***** in the world maybe football season should start in october.

dantheman4248
09-10-2019, 11:45 AM
Toughen up or ?stay at home? is such a stupid remark. How the hell could you possibly want a half full stadium. How about multi million dollar institution make its multi million dollar facility comfortable for the people funding it?

And for the record, I stayed the whole game and survived and I was wearing jeans. Bear Grylls has actually done a thing where it?s better to wear long sleeves and pants in the desert to retain sweat. I survived the heat decently fine because I knew what to bring and prepared for worst case with our ridiculous concessions / water fountain setup (Always. Always bring cash).

Not everyone does though. And should everyone really have to bring in 1 L water bottles, know exactly where the few water fountains are, know to bring cash AND card in case the concessions act a fool. Imagine if that was someone?s first game to DWS? They?d never want to come back again. The school has the money and the engineering program to figure out how to mitigate the heat problem. Blaming the fans for being weak will lead to half empty stadiums. There is not (AND HAS NEVER BEEN) 60k people in Mississippi willing to pay $50+ to sit in what feels like 115? heat with limited access to water.

StateDawg44
09-10-2019, 03:54 PM
Toughen up or ?stay at home? is such a stupid remark. How the hell could you possibly want a half full stadium. How about multi million dollar institution make its multi million dollar facility comfortable for the people funding it?

And for the record, I stayed the whole game and survived and I was wearing jeans. Bear Grylls has actually done a thing where it?s better to wear long sleeves and pants in the desert to retain sweat. I survived the heat decently fine because I knew what to bring and prepared for worst case with our ridiculous concessions / water fountain setup (Always. Always bring cash).

Not everyone does though. And should everyone really have to bring in 1 L water bottles, know exactly where the few water fountains are, know to bring cash AND card in case the concessions act a fool. Imagine if that was someone?s first game to DWS? They?d never want to come back again. The school has the money and the engineering program to figure out how to mitigate the heat problem. Blaming the fans for being weak will lead to half empty stadiums. There is not (AND HAS NEVER BEEN) 60k people in Mississippi willing to pay $50+ to sit in what feels like 115? heat with limited access to water.

Blaming the school because it was hot and you got hot during a game is laughable too though. Admit it.

The concessions problem is a completely different situation. They seemed to have dropped the ball there. I wasn't there. I live in TN. It was hot as balls here too. I worked in my yard. While I was outside, I found some shade, drank some water, used my brain and cooled off when I got hot and then eased back out into the sun. Even my dog did the same without having to be told or shown how to do it.

Hell, nearly every person there has quarter breaks, tv timeouts or half-time to stand up, get off their ass, dip out below the stands and find some shade and let their body temperature lower if they need to. It's really not that groundbreaking to use common sense.

Chalk it up to bad timing with the weather and quit acting entitled.

Commercecomet24
09-10-2019, 04:01 PM
Spend all day in overly cold government buildings like I do, and it makes days like Saturday absolutely brutal - and I still do a lot of outside work/site visits plus bike every day.

I hear ya! I coached travel ball so many years I guess the heat doesn't bother me as much as some. You play anywhere from 3 to 7 games a weekend and we've played as many as 5 in one day all over the southeast, you just kinda deal with it. I will say that since I gave it up a couple years ago I can't throw 3 hours of bp a day anymore only about an hour and half lol

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-10-2019, 05:59 PM
Blaming the school because it was hot and you got hot during a game is laughable too though. Admit it.

The concessions problem is a completely different situation. They seemed to have dropped the ball there. I wasn't there. I live in TN. It was hot as balls here too. I worked in my yard. While I was outside, I found some shade, drank some water, used my brain and cooled off when I got hot and then eased back out into the sun. Even my dog did the same without having to be told or shown how to do it.

Hell, nearly every person there has quarter breaks, tv timeouts or half-time to stand up, get off their ass, dip out below the stands and find some shade and let their body temperature lower if they need to. It's really not that groundbreaking to use common sense.

Ironic, considering that anyone using "common sense" would immediately realize how dumb it is to expect a stadium of 40k+ to all leave their seats, go in the concourse, cool down, and return to their chairs in a 3-4 minute commercial break. That's an individual solution and not going to work at scale. Moreover, you mention shade, which is exactly what the first idea in this thread was about; providing shade for the seated areas. If you want people to find shade and also cheer on the team then you'd support looking into this.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. The sane people keep on pointing out that this is about increasing ATTENDANCE and the gameday ENVIRONMENT. Whether or not we've "gone soft" is irrelevant to that end, because no matter how many times you say it the fact is the worse the conditions are the fewer people will come out and the less energy the ones that do show will have. So sure you can stay on your moral high horse about how tough you are and how weak all the young spoiled brats are but if you care about helping STATE FOOTBALL you'll want to solve the problem, not just repeat "back in my day" and "it's not the schools' job to make you happy". I"m going to quote another poster because it seems his well put thoughts have fallen on deaf ears:

Tough call.

Mjoelner34
09-10-2019, 06:18 PM
Emperor Vespasian say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtwG_ziYI0Y

After the video fails to play, either click "Watch this video on youtube" above or click this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtwG_ziYI0Y

dantheman4248
09-10-2019, 06:55 PM

No one is blaming the school for it being hot. And no one is being “entitled.” (First off there’s a whole generation that have lost sight of what that word means. They seem to think that paying 6 figures for an education and then expecting common sense from said program as you continue to support is acting entitled; however, simply existing and helping destroy the planet and contributing to global warming deserves a free check from those “entitled” brats, and that is NOT entitled. But that’s a whole other argument.)

We want a better atmosphere. The concourse does not support shading 60k people. We are trying to propose solutions to give adequate shading to everyone.

No one blamed the school for the heat, most that couldn’t take it left. Hence half the stadium being bone dry empty at halftime. (Really really sucked to see.) If you’re reading that people are blaming the school for the heat you’re missing the point. We blame the scheduling for allowing this game to be played in that heat and then blame the school for dropping the ball on helping mitigate the heat problem.

There’s 1 water fountain in the student section and you either need cash or if you’re lucky flex dollars on your student account to get anything from the concessions in that section. Add that to the lack of shading, and there’s gonna be less than 500 students left.

We want a better atmosphere. It’s not about being entitled. It’s about wanting this program to elevate. If I wanted to bake in the sun at a shitty stadium with trash concessions and have no atmosphere then i’d go to a juco game or usm or unm. I don’t, I want to watch the premier football in the state and I would hope that school would help create and upkeep an atmosphere to match.

RocketDawg
09-10-2019, 07:15 PM
No one is blaming the school for it being hot. And no one is being “entitled.” (First off there’s a whole generation that have lost sight of what that word means. They seem to think that paying 6 figures for an education and then expecting common sense from said program as you continue to support is acting entitled; however, simply existing and helping destroy the planet and contributing to global warming deserves a free check from those “entitled” brats, and that is NOT entitled. But that’s a whole other argument.)

We want a better atmosphere. The concourse does not support shading 60k people. We are trying to propose solutions to give adequate shading to everyone.

No one blamed the school for the heat, most that couldn’t take it left. Hence half the stadium being bone dry empty at halftime. (Really really sucked to see.) If you’re reading that people are blaming the school for the heat you’re missing the point. We blame the scheduling for allowing this game to be played in that heat and then blame the school for dropping the ball on helping mitigate the heat problem.

There’s 1 water fountain in the student section and you either need cash or if you’re lucky flex dollars on your student account to get anything from the concessions in that section. Add that to the lack of shading, and there’s gonna be less than 500 students left.

We want a better atmosphere. It’s not about being entitled. It’s about wanting this program to elevate. If I wanted to bake in the sun at a shitty stadium with trash concessions and have no atmosphere then i’d go to a juco game or usm or unm. I don’t, I want to watch the premier football in the state and I would hope that school would help create and upkeep an atmosphere to match.

What would the University have to do to provide shade for the fans? About the only thing I can think of is to have what amounts to a dome with an elliptical hole in the top. Can you imagine what something like that would cost?

What are your suggestions for adequate shade that the engineering school is supposed to design? In another post, you said "The school has the money and the engineering program to figure out how to mitigate the heat problem." The key word is school ... they educate future engineers; they don't have an engineering company.

Homedawg
09-10-2019, 07:16 PM
If you are waiting for more shading, save your breath.... that's as likely as 007 becoming negative

dantheman4248
09-10-2019, 07:26 PM
What would the University have to do to provide shade for the fans? About the only thing I can think of is to have what amounts to a dome with an elliptical hole in the top. Can you imagine what something like that would cost?

What are your suggestions for adequate shade that the engineering school is supposed to design? In another post, you said "The school has the money and the engineering program to figure out how to mitigate the heat problem." The key word is school ... they educate future engineers; they don't have an engineering company.

The point about the school is that you have the alumni base to hire from to figure the problem out. Heated seating is a thing in stadiums up north, might there be a feasible way to create cooling seating? I’m sure you consult with enough of the chemical and mechanical engineering graduates you could figure this out. Same for shading. Washington has a setup that works for them with rain / shade. I imagine MSU could figure something effective out. And beyond those two things I would hope someone could plan better to accommodate 60k dealing with the heat than what we saw.

Yes a lot of this would be expensive. It was very expensive to bowl off the stadium. The fans have come out in support since that idea was implemented. I’m sure the cost-benefit can be shown to be positive by creating a better environment simply by doubling the amount of people in the stadium in the second half. That alone would seem to double concessions in theory.

RocketDawg
09-10-2019, 07:36 PM
The point about the school is that you have the alumni base to hire from to figure the problem out. Heated seating is a thing in stadiums up north, might there be a feasible way to create cooling seating? I’m sure you consult with enough of the chemical and mechanical engineering graduates you could figure this out. Same for shading. Washington has a setup that works for them with rain / shade. I imagine MSU could figure something effective out. And beyond those two things I would hope someone could plan better to accommodate 60k dealing with the heat than what we saw.

Yes a lot of this would be expensive. It was very expensive to bowl off the stadium. The fans have come out in support since that idea was implemented. I’m sure the cost-benefit can be shown to be positive by creating a better environment simply by doubling the amount of people in the stadium in the second half. That alone would seem to double concessions in theory.

From Wikipedia, "The stadium [at the University of Washington] underwent a $280 million renovation that was completed in 2013. Its U-shaped design was specifically oriented (18.167? south of due east) to minimize glare from the early afternoon sun in the athletes' eyes."

Our stadium is oriented essentially due north-south. Because of that, I don't think "roofs" similar to Washington's would do much good for most of the fans, and even if it did, it would only be for a few games at the start of the season. About all we can do is grin and bear it, and realize the players are probably hotter than any of the fans.

StateDawg44
09-11-2019, 08:12 AM
Ironic, considering that anyone using "common sense" would immediately realize how dumb it is to expect a stadium of 40k+ to all leave their seats, go in the concourse, cool down, and return to their chairs in a 3-4 minute commercial break. That's an individual solution and not going to work at scale. Moreover, you mention shade, which is exactly what the first idea in this thread was about; providing shade for the seated areas. If you want people to find shade and also cheer on the team then you'd support looking into this.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. The sane people keep on pointing out that this is about increasing ATTENDANCE and the gameday ENVIRONMENT. Whether or not we've "gone soft" is irrelevant to that end, because no matter how many times you say it the fact is the worse the conditions are the fewer people will come out and the less energy the ones that do show will have. So sure you can stay on your moral high horse about how tough you are and how weak all the young spoiled brats are but if you care about helping STATE FOOTBALL you'll want to solve the problem, not just repeat "back in my day" and "it's not the schools' job to make you happy". I"m going to quote another poster because it seems his well put thoughts have fallen on deaf ears:

I guess I should've expected some overly dramatic responses from people that are complaining about this. Shocker. Don't take my words and act like I said every person in the stadium should or would get up and go to the concourses for shade simultaneously. That's dumb. It's not a fire drill. That would never happen so why even try to make some dumb hypothetical statement other than for the sake of your argument? That's also assuming that every man, woman, and child in attendance are so enthralled with the game at hand that they can't find shade except designated game breaks. Not every person at the game cares enough to have to watch every single snap. The majority don't more than likely. The entire purpose of me saying that is because you and I both know that wouldn't happen or even be the case. FACT.

It's simple decision making. If you are incapable of going outside on a hot day and still butthurt and blaming someone else days and days after, maybe your decision should be to avoid that heat. If that means fewer people in attendance..... again, that's unfortunate and just bad timing just like how a rainy day can pop up and cancel plans you've had for weeks. Zero difference. The decision is yours and you are responsible for your own safety at the end of the day.

Also, I haven't played the "quit being a pu***" card. Heat's no joke, I don't believe I'm tougher than the sun. Could you imagine?

I get game-day experience and all but there are uncontrollable tangibles especially when it comes to weather obviously. Not one MSU employee or really any other human I would imagine forced you to go. The decisions to go outside and sit in the sun is all on you. Not anyone or anything else.

That said, that colosseum awning video would be pretty damn sweet actually. But I'm not going to act like MSU needs to cater to me just because I graduated from there and bought season tix. To think they owe me because of decisions I made prior and the weather was unseasonably hot for a day (kind of). That would be pretty....entitled.

dantheman4248
09-11-2019, 08:38 AM
Overly dramatic? The stadium was half empty in a 2-score in-state game. That is NOT ok. Period.

Again, no one is blaming the school for the heat. The main blame they get is the the horrible concession setup / limited access to water. These other ideas are spitballing suggestions to mitigate the heat.

To think expecting common sense from the institution that provided great education is entitlement shows that you just want to call “youngins” entitled. Get off your high horse. Kids today have to deal with 10X worse issues because of previous generations destroying this earth. We pull up our bootstraps in worse ways than most boomers could even imagine. It’s not entitled to expect competency. No where has anyone acted like MSU should create the awning or other ideas because they said so. The only thing we “feel entitled to” is a level of professionalism that the AD even had to publicly apologize for. The rest is pitching ideas that would be smart for the university to implement instead of calling people pussies.

Dawg2003
09-11-2019, 08:50 AM
The bottom line is that the average fan is not going to be miserable in a stadium when you can just watch it in your TV in the air conditioning with food/beverages and a bathroom readily available. The TV is the better option in this scenario.

StateDawg44
09-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Overly dramatic? The stadium was half empty in a 2-score in-state game. That is NOT ok. Period.

Again, no one is blaming the school for the heat. The main blame they get is the the horrible concession setup / limited access to water. These other ideas are spitballing suggestions to mitigate the heat.

To think expecting common sense from the institution that provided great education is entitlement shows that you just want to call “youngins” entitled. Get off your high horse. Kids today have to deal with 10X worse issues because of previous generations destroying this earth. We pull up our bootstraps in worse ways than most boomers could even imagine. It’s not entitled to expect competency. No where has anyone acted like MSU should create the awning or other ideas because they said so. The only thing we “feel entitled to” is a level of professionalism that the AD even had to publicly apologize for. The rest is pitching ideas that would be smart for the university to implement instead of calling people pussies.

Overly dramatic = twisting my words and pretending like I said all 40,000 fans in attendance will have to simultaneously huddle in the concourses during designated breaks like cows under a lone patch of trees in a wide-open field. Even cows have enough sense to do it when necessary. The only reason to twist my words like that is to prop your argument up. Like it's impossible for concourses to even be used as an option to get a quick break from the sun. It doesn't take long to get some relief in the shade.

If you would've read my original post I clearly acknowledged that the concession situation was on the university and a completely different discussion that should be addressed and fans have every right to be pissed off about it. I wasn't there so I can't attest to it. But I have no reason to doubt what other posters are complaining about when it comes to the concessions is true. But then they bring the lack of shade into the conversation and their argument is lost because they want to demand shade and solutions for shade. Not concessions. Blaming the school for not having some plan of action for shade is dumb. Hell yeah it would be nice, but it ain't happening for a while if at all.

Also, I am not on a high horse. I'm not some old fart, I'm one of those "kids" that automatically gets lumped into the group of "entitled brats" simply because of the year I was born. Even though I bust my ass just like you described and I agree with you there. To compare baby boomers worlds when they were in their 30s to a modern 30 year old is pointless. We might as well be on a different planet now. You're preaching to the choir here when it comes to that. I understand the frustration with concessions. Hell, give everyone in attendance this weekend a free hot dog or better yet, a free bottle of water. Have MSU employees handing them out in the concourses. Some of you would probably complain about the water not being cold enough or to your liking though. And again, I'm not the one calling people pussies like you keep trying to point out. The sun can be brutal.

Your points of having concessions readily available all over the stadium and easy to purchase are heard and agreed with. I doubt anyone is arguing with that. They just aren't in response to what I've posted about.

The bottom line is that the average fan is not going to be miserable in a stadium when you can just watch it in your TV in the air conditioning with food/beverages and a bathroom readily available. The TV is the better option in this scenario.

Exactly. This isn't groundbreaking stuff here. This is where the simple, personal decision making comes into play. If you believe your fandom rides on the fact that you have to attend every game to feel like you support a team, that is on you.

Maroonthirteen
09-11-2019, 10:48 AM
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. The sane people keep on pointing out that this is about increasing ATTENDANCE and the gameday ENVIRONMENT. ears:

Exactly. this thread was about tv ruining the attendance and environment.

StateDawg44
09-11-2019, 11:07 AM
I'll take those TV contracts and the money and publicity that comes with them any day over a patch of shade. Before, we were lucky to get on TV. Maybe a couple of games a year.

Those TV contracts have to generate more revenue per game. Anyone got a break down of how many seats we would have to sale to make up for the loss of the ESPN money we get for playing in their designated time slot?

dantheman4248
09-11-2019, 11:23 AM
Ok that’s the point. No one is demanding shade. We’re saying it would be smart and a good idea. Otherwise you will lose about 15k off the top of attendance and then lose another 20k by halftime in these games.

I’m not personally demanding it because, again, I came prepared and sat through the entire game and was just fine. But I can clearly see the need and if the goal is sellouts with 60k cowbells going all game long, then someone needs to be smart about how we deal with the weather.

If the school is happy with the tv contract and a meh atmosphere then that sucks and I hope they would do better. Lots of money gets pumped into this institution, so I would expect more pride in showing ourselves as the premier school in the state.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-11-2019, 12:04 PM
Overly dramatic = twisting my words and pretending like I said all 40,000 fans in attendance will have to simultaneously huddle in the concourses during designated breaks like cows under a lone patch of trees in a wide-open field.

That's literally what you said though, if people get hot they should just go to the shade during brakes. That's your solution to people getting hot. My exact point is that it's not going to work at scale as a solution; you cant have 40+k people doing that at once, and if 40+k are there you might have 40+k getting uncomfortably hot. It seems we're in agreement that "go find shade" is not a real solution.

And ONCE AGAIN let me point out that A) You completely ignored literally everything in my post and latched onto one small point I made, and 2) THIS IS ABOUT CREATING A HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT TO HELP THE TEAM WIN GAMES! Nobody is saying they "deserve" to have a nice experience. What we're saying is that the less fun people have at the games the fewer fans will show up, and the easier it'll be for the visiting team to beat us.

So when you say "If you believe your fandom rides on the fact that you have to attend every game to feel like you support a team, that is on you." you're completely missing the point, and are actually hurting the team's chances to win.

The only way to increase attendance an energy levels is to make it less miserable. Maybe it can't be done at all, but to shut the discussion down entirely because the problem isn't the Universities is not going to help at all. The university is under no obligation to provide concessions either, but we can agree that it'll increase fan pleasure and thus increase turnout and so is a good idea. Why not do the same when it comes to heat?

StateDawg44
09-11-2019, 12:58 PM
That's literally what you said though, if people get hot they should just go to the shade during brakes. That's your solution to people getting hot. My exact point is that it's not going to work at scale as a solution; you cant have 40+k people doing that at once, and if 40+k are there you might have 40+k getting uncomfortably hot. It seems we're in agreement that "go find shade" is not a real solution.

And ONCE AGAIN let me point out that A) You completely ignored literally everything in my post and latched onto one small point I made, and 2) THIS IS ABOUT CREATING A HOSTILE ENVIRONMENT TO HELP THE TEAM WIN GAMES! Nobody is saying they "deserve" to have a nice experience. What we're saying is that the less fun people have at the games the fewer fans will show up, and the easier it'll be for the visiting team to beat us.

So when you say "If you believe your fandom rides on the fact that you have to attend every game to feel like you support a team, that is on you." you're completely missing the point, and are actually hurting the team's chances to win.

The only way to increase attendance an energy levels is to make it less miserable. Maybe it can't be done at all, but to shut the discussion down entirely because the problem isn't the Universities is not going to help at all. The university is under no obligation to provide concessions either, but we can agree that it'll increase fan pleasure and thus increase turnout and so is a good idea. Why not do the same when it comes to heat?

Nah I get what you are trying to convey. It's really not that complex. It's actually so simple there was no need for me to acknowledge that so I didn't. But here you go...

It's not hard to understand that a hostile environment helps the home team. But you seem to be putting a little too much emphasis on that IMO. What about Florida last year? What about UT losing to Georgia State with a hostile environment? BYU at home? The crowd plays a big part but not nearly as much as you make it seem. There is only so much fans can do.

Me not being there does NOT hurt the team's chances. Are you serious, lulz? I may not be helping on a hostility metric but I'm in no way hurting their chances. Zero. Clearly they made out just fine with or without me and the people that didn't stay or chose not to go this past weekend. We were playing USM for God's sake. If we lost that game attendance would've immediately dropped for the remainder of the year anyway. If it were LSU, AU, Bama, A&M, UK or any other team that actually needs and benefits from a hostile environment I could understand the outrage at lack of attendance & support. Hot or not. The energy level & attendance would/will be there for most any SEC game. But it's not for USM or the equivalent. It never will be. Just like every other year. You make it seem like we've been selling out multiple games a year or something and now suddenly we are playing to an empty stadium over and over. It's been one game. Probably safe to assume it will be two after this coming weekend. How will the players on the field ever win without high energy, crazed (but cool in the shade) fans? The players have done it many times before and will continue doing it into the future.

Yes, concessions are great and make games much better. You do realize it is very very likely that companies are bidding at the opportunity to sell concessions at MSU? So no, they aren't obligated but they would be dumb to not. Not even remotely close to a good comparison. It's not like we are the only or even in a minority group of the SEC stadiums that don't have the luxury of shade. Uhhhh hell yeah, it would be awesome to set that benchmark and lead the way. Is our stadium in its current state even capable of taking on an engineering feat that would be required to do that? Who knows? I'm doubtful of though. We could probably figure something out if they wanted to though. But I find it highly unlikely it would be done by the engineering department at MSU. MSU grad with their PE license, absolutely.

Not once did I say they should all 40,000 at once go stand in the shade. Single file, one in one out. Don't be obtuse. People are capable of thinking for themselves and telling who they are with, "Hey, I'm burning up. Gonna go find some shade for a minute and cool off. Want to come?". You act like they would announce it over the PA system for all to hear when they can or can't go cool off. That is only convenient for your side of the matter for argument's sake. Clearly all 40,000 - 60,000 fans don't need to be in concourses or breezeways. It's heat, not a tornado bearing down on the stadium.

the_real_MSU_is_us
09-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Nah I get what you are trying to convey. It's really not that complex. It's actually so simple there was no need for me to acknowledge that so I didn't. But here you go...

It's not hard to understand that a hostile environment helps the home team. But you seem to be putting a little too much emphasis on that IMO. What about Florida last year? What about UT losing to Georgia State with a hostile environment? BYU at home? The crowd plays a big part but not nearly as much as you make it seem. There is only so much fans can do.

Me not being there does NOT hurt the team's chances. Are you serious, lulz?

LOL your logic is that since home teams can still lose, then there's no point in even trying to have a home field advantage.... that's so patently absurd on every level.

And YES you not showing up hurts our odds... the capacity is 61,337. if it's packed and everyone has the energy to cheer it's a huge advantage vs it being half full and everyone being too hot to cheer. I can't believe I even have to say this, it's so obvious. Anything we can do to get the attendance closer to full capacity will increase the dds we win. Even you alone make a very small difference, but a difference none the less.

StateDawg44
09-11-2019, 02:10 PM
LOL your logic is that since home teams can still lose, then there's no point in even trying to have a home field advantage.... that's so patently absurd on every level.

And YES you not showing up hurts our odds... the capacity is 61,337. if it's packed and everyone has the energy to cheer it's a huge advantage vs it being half full and everyone being too hot to cheer. I can't believe I even have to say this, it's so obvious. Anything we can do to get the attendance closer to full capacity will increase the dds we win. Even you alone make a very small difference, but a difference none the less.

It doesn't hurt our odds. I'm not preventing anyone else from going and taking my seat. IF I had a ticket and chose not to go and left an empty seat then I could see your point. But that's not the case.

My logic is that the home field advantage really isn't required for every single game when you are playing what many would consider cupcakes. At a certain point, it becomes a huge weapon and does win ball games. My point was that even with home-field advantage, the fans can only do so much to determine the outcome. If you're basing this off odds of us winning because of crowd attendance, a home team can still lose in front of a sold-out raucous crowd. What do you not understand about that? It's certainly not illogical because..... it happens every year. Where did I say just give up on the team because there is a chance we could lose? There is a chance we lose no matter what, every single game. Could you imagine how stupid a player would look if he blamed a loss on the crowd? A lot of times home-field advantage will give the home team the tip of the hat if teams are equal on the field. No crap.

You're really having to call on the most extreme situations to try and prove your point.

Do I think you're saying we must have at least 35,000+ screaming fans in seats first to have a chance/win? No.

Does it help in some cases? Obviously. But you know it's not required. Especially against your USM's and Austin Peay's of the world. Don't pretend like very many fans show up with the same excitement or enthusiasm to play those teams as they do SEC games.

BB30
09-11-2019, 02:13 PM
It doesn't hurt our odds. I'm not preventing anyone else from going and taking my seat. IF I had a ticket and chose not to go and left an empty seat then I could see your point. But that's not the case.

My logic is that the home field advantage really isn't required for every single game when you are playing what many would consider cupcakes. At a certain point, it becomes a huge weapon and does win ball games. My point was that even with home-field advantage, the fans can only do so much to determine the outcome. If you're basing this off odds of us winning because of crowd attendance, a home team can still lose in front of a sold-out raucous crowd. What do you not understand about that? It's certainly not illogical because..... it happens every year. Where did I say just give up on the team because there is a chance we could lose? There is a chance we lose no matter what, every single game. Could you imagine how stupid a player would look if he blamed a loss on the crowd? A lot of times home-field advantage will give the home team the tip of the hat if teams are equal on the field. No crap.

You're really having to call on the most extreme situations to try and prove your point.

Do I think you're saying we must have at least 35,000+ screaming fans in seats first to have a chance/win? No.

Does it help in some cases? Obviously. But you know it's not required. Especially against your USM's and Austin Peay's of the world. Don't pretend like very many fans show up with the same excitement or enthusiasm to play those teams as they do SEC games.

One thing it absolutely helps with is recruiting. Kids don't want to play in a half full stadium that is already a bit less impressive than a lot of schools in our conference. Not saying its not a great atmosphere because it is when its rocking. But it is less impressive when its half full than when death valley or bryant denny are half full.

So in a way it does both directly and indirectly help us win games. We still have recruits visiting on weekends against lesser opponents. Some come for their official on big games but make several trips a season unofficially. Always want to leave a lasting impression on a kid.

StateDawg44
09-11-2019, 02:25 PM
One thing it absolutely helps with is recruiting. Kids don't want to play in a half full stadium that is already a bit less impressive than a lot of schools in our conference. Not saying its not a great atmosphere because it is when its rocking. But it is less impressive when its half full than when death valley or bryant denny are half full.

So in a way it does both directly and indirectly help us win games. We still have recruits visiting on weekends against lesser opponents. Some come for their official on big games but make several trips a season unofficially. Always want to leave a lasting impression on a kid.

Absolutely. That's why it's important to get your big-time recruits to big-time home games so they get the full experience. That doesn't mean their experience at smaller games doesn't matter at all.

Success clearly helps sell tickets. Look at our attendance records. It is littered with games from 2014. Success, hype, the buzz around the program, all of that makes more of an impactful difference to help attendance than shade or bomb ass concessions would. It then becomes getting to experience a game or multiple games of a team that crushed it that year. Part of an experience that you can say you were there and saw that happen. Heat or Cold doesn't impede on sustained success.

Even Saban has to publicly beg people not to leave games early. And they are actually coming close to selling out the majority of games probably. Closer than we are at least.