PDA

View Full Version : MSU ranked 13th in SP+, 3rd in Offense, 65th in Defense

dantheman4248
09-08-2019, 04:10 PM
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27569383/sp+-rankings-week-2-oregon-jumps-10-spots

Interesting. SP+ is not a resume ranking, but rather a predictive model for who should win on a neutral field. I find the 3rd offensive ranking quite interesting (LSU is #2 btw).

Edit: Link working now?

GreenheadDawg
09-08-2019, 04:21 PM
I’ll be honest, I wasn’t expecting our defense to look so bad.

Lord McBuckethead
09-08-2019, 04:24 PM
I'll be honest, I have no idea what our guys are trying to do out there. Yesterday, on the Emerson interception, Errol had a clear path to smoke the qb. He stops 3 feet from him. Straight hesitates.

We need to develop some damn pride and ruthlessness. SEC teams are going to light us up, if not.

Lord McBuckethead
09-08-2019, 04:25 PM
Errol will get that cleaned up, and I am not trying to call him out specifically. Dude can be a beast. He should just be a beast from here on out.

Coach007
http://https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27569383/sp+-rankings-week-2-oregon-jumps-10-spots

Interesting. SP+ is not a resume ranking, but rather a predictive model for who should win on a neutral field. I find the 3rd offensive ranking quite interesting (LSU is #2 btw).

And has proven to be accurate right.

MetEdDawg
We miss Gay and we don't have anything close to Simmons, Sweat, or Abrams walking through the tunnel. We have some talent on the back end but our front 4 is weak and that affects your second level even if they are good.

LBs are the unfortunate recipients of underwhelming DL play. When you know Sweat is gonna get to the QB or you know Simmons's gonna clog up the middle, as a LB you play with a lot more confidence because your guys are dictating what happens. When it's the other way around there's more guessing and not nearly as much downhill anticipation.

RocketDawg
09-08-2019, 04:29 PM
Is that link dead to everybody? I get the "Safari can't find the server" message.

Also get the same message when I try to open 61's post about popup ads, but it's apparently active because it has 5 replies.

msstate7
09-08-2019, 04:30 PM
And has proven to be accurate right.

4 of our upcoming opponents are higher than us.

Coach007
09-08-2019, 04:30 PM
http://https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27569383/sp+-rankings-week-2-oregon-jumps-10-spots

Could you check that link brother

Coach007
09-08-2019, 04:31 PM

On offense? LMAO!

You know what... you win. WE suck and deserve to not even have a damn team.

msstate7
09-08-2019, 04:32 PM
Could you check that link brother

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27569383/sp+-rankings-week-2-oregon-jumps-10-spots

msstate7
09-08-2019, 04:32 PM
On offense? LMAO!

You know what... you win. WE suck and deserve to not even have a damn team.

Overall.

QuadrupleOption
09-08-2019, 04:37 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8c/Debbie_Downer.PNG/215px-Debbie_Downer.PNG

msstate7
09-08-2019, 04:41 PM
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/8c/Debbie_Downer.PNG/215px-Debbie_Downer.PNG

Lol..

Coach007: aTm, auburn, and LSU all meh... we only lose to Bama

Also coach007: s&p+ is proven to be accurate (while all aTm, auburn, and LSU all ranked higher than us)

defiantdog
09-08-2019, 04:43 PM
Meh..... these rankings don't mean anything till mid season. It has OM as 8th best defense..... come on. Wait till they play teams with a pulse.

msstate7
09-08-2019, 04:44 PM
Meh..... these rankings don't mean anything till mid season. It has OM as 8th best defense..... come on. Wait till they play teams with a pulse.

This is the correct response. Just like rpi in basketball

Commercecomet24
09-08-2019, 04:45 PM

Exactly. Not meaningful yet, way to early

Coach007
09-08-2019, 04:48 PM
Lol..

Also coach007: s&p+ is proven to be accurate (while all aTm, auburn, and LSU all ranked higher than us)

Man, I don't know what to tell you. Your glass if not even half empty as far as our teams are concerned. Our defense will only improve as we open up what we need to do to win. Our Offense is the most balanced in the SEC and is second only to Bama in that respect.

How you can some how turn a 13 ranked MS ST team into a friggin negative is more than questionable

dantheman4248
09-08-2019, 04:57 PM
These ranking use preseason / past season returning production to help formulate them and wean them out as the season goes on.

SP+ is about as accurate as you can get ATS with a model that’s “free to the public.” Batted 53% last year iirc. I’m sure vegas has used it to help set lines as it has a worse batting average overtime (which means vegas adjusts to it, not the system getting worse.)

It’s not the end all, be all, but the notion that we can’t beat A&M, Auburn, LSU is ridiculous. Florida to Miami has a bigger gap on this than LSU to us btw.

Tbonewannabe
09-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Lol..

The exact opposite could be said for your posts. 8-4 is pretty much where I had us. We could steal one against Auburn or A&M but it looks like Bama and LSU are on a different level. I would give us a 10% chance only because it is at home. I would trade LSU and Bama to get AU and A&M at home if I could. That would make them a lot more winnable.

Jarius
09-08-2019, 04:59 PM
Lol..

Can you let me know where Tennessee’s ranked on there? I’ll hang up and listen.

RocketDawg
09-08-2019, 05:00 PM

That works.

msstate7
09-08-2019, 05:03 PM
These ranking use preseason / past season returning production to help formulate them and wean them out as the season goes on.

SP+ is about as accurate as you can get ATS with a model that’s “free to the public.” Batted 53% last year iirc. I’m sure vegas has used it to help set lines as it has a worse batting average overtime (which means vegas adjusts to it, not the system getting worse.)

It’s not the end all, be all, but the notion that we can’t beat A&M, Auburn, LSU is ridiculous. Florida to Miami has a bigger gap on this than LSU to us btw.

I love s&p+, but you're right about it not being the end all, be all... here's its final top 10 of 2018:

1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. Clemson
4. Oklahoma
5. LSU
6. Ohio st
7. Auburn
8. State
9. Florida
10. Michigan

This was after the bowls/playoffs.

msstate7
09-08-2019, 05:03 PM
Can you let me know where Tennessee’s ranked on there? I’ll hang up and listen.

Coursesuper
09-08-2019, 05:05 PM
Man, I don't know what to tell you. Your glass if not even half empty as far as our teams are concerned. Our defense will only improve as we open up what we need to do to win. Our Offense is the most balanced in the SEC and is second only to Bama in that respect.

How you can some how turn a 13 ranked MS ST team into a friggin negative is more than questionable

I don't see this as being negative at all it just not the all encompassing predictor you want it to be at this point in the season. The data set is to small.

Why is this negative? Because it doesn't agree with your narrative?

Ari Gold
09-08-2019, 05:10 PM
We miss Gay and we don't have anything close to Simmons, Sweat, or Abrams walking through the tunnel. We have some talent on the back end but our front 4 is weak and that affects your second level even if they are good.

LBs are the unfortunate recipients of underwhelming DL play. When you know Sweat is gonna get to the QB or you know Simmons's gonna clog up the middle, as a LB you play with a lot more confidence because your guys are dictating what happens. When it's the other way around there's more guessing and not nearly as much downhill anticipation.

Again no one outside of 2 or 3 teams could replace a Simmons and it?s hard to replace first rounders in Sweat and Abram.. But Mr Cole is going to get his name called sooner than later come April ... dude is a straight stud

Coach007
09-08-2019, 05:14 PM
I don't see this as being negative at all it just not the all encompassing predictor you want it to be at this point in the season. The data set is to small.

No, because his glass is less than half empty. It's that simple. Some of our fans remind me of George McFly.

Why is this negative? Because it doesn't agree with your narrative?

No. Not at all. It's because he is still presents MS St in a negative way in the face of Ms ST entering the Coaches polls and jumping 6 points in this poll.

THAT's why it's a negative.

Dawgology
09-08-2019, 05:15 PM
I?ll be honest, I wasn?t expecting our defense to look so bad.

We?ve been running straight base due to the competition level these past two games. I expect we will start seeing more when we enter SEC play.

Coach007
09-08-2019, 05:17 PM
We?ve been running straight base due to the competition level these past two games. I expect we will start seeing more when we enter SEC play.

Listen to this guy.... He has understanding

ATTILLA THE DOG
09-08-2019, 05:19 PM
I will take 8-4 and a nice bowl right now.

Coursesuper
09-08-2019, 05:23 PM
No, because his glass is less than half empty. It's that simple. Some of our fans remind me of George McFly.

No. Not at all. It's because he is still presents MS St in a negative way in the face of Ms ST entering the Coaches polls and jumping 6 points in this poll.

THAT's why it's a negative.

I'm sorry but I'm going have to disagree, he sees it the way he sees it, it's a fairly realistic view in my opinion, yours on the other hand is always the best possible solution as far as MSU is concerned, that's your point of view. Does this make him or me less of a fan than those who happen to view things from your particular point of view?

Coach007
09-08-2019, 06:56 PM
I'm sorry but I'm going have to disagree, he sees it the way he sees it, it's a fairly realistic view in my opinion, yours on the other hand is always the best possible solution as far as MSU is concerned, that's your point of view. Does this make him or me less of a fan than those who happen to view things from your particular point of view?

You are reaching. Where did I say he was or even suggested he was less than a fan.

MS7 and I agree on a lot. Disagreeing on this makes him no less a fan than I NOR does it mean I dislike him. On the contrary, he is one that I could have beer with. At his expense, but none the less.

People need to understand, it's not an either or. It's not and never has been a "You agree with me or I hate you." We are not in elementary.

Coursesuper
09-08-2019, 07:54 PM
You are reaching. Where did I say he was or even suggested he was less than a fan.

MS7 and I agree on a lot. Disagreeing on this makes him no less a fan than I NOR does it mean I dislike him. On the contrary, he is one that I could have beer with. At his expense, but none the less.

People need to understand, it's not an either or. It's not and never has been a "You agree with me or I hate you." We are not in elementary.

" Because it represents MSU in a negative way" those are your words. You tend to use the negative representation of MSU line quite frequently when you don't agree with what's posted. What's up with that? It's implied that your way of supporting MSU is the only way and you see it and is superior to those that don't feel the same fervor for the athletic programs and those that lead them. If that's not what's intended then why does anything being negative or positive matter. How we as a fan and alumni base feel is up to us isn't it. Positive or negative connotations of message board post definitely doesn't effect the way MSU is perceived nationally or for that matter even by our neighboring states.

Todd4State
09-08-2019, 08:54 PM

I thought we blitzed way more against USM than we did against ULL.

Todd4State
09-08-2019, 09:02 PM
I suspect our stats are going to be skewed at least somewhat because of all of the weirdness we've already had. I wouldn't be surprised if we "improve" on defense with Gay and Murphy back. (Autry?)

That said there are some concerns on defense- mine is mostly with tackling and defending the perimeter. Rivers has whiffed on several potential sacks this year. If I'm Shoop I'm considering moving Spencer to the other side where Rivers is playing at least some and see if that generates some more sacks. I would also consider rotating Brule and Watson in some for Errol and Leo to give them some rest. Of course, Willie coming back will help that situation as well and I think the biggest thing he and Murphy give us is more flexibility on defense. Because with Gay we can keep Leo and Errol on the field and move Cole to Morgan's spot at safety if we want to. We could also just sub Leo out. And Murphy should at least split time with Morgan. Fred Peters hasn't really done much the past two games and hasn't flashed when he has played so I'm not sure if he is a good option or not.

Coach007
09-09-2019, 12:41 AM
" Because it represents MSU in a negative way" those are your words. You tend to use the negative representation of MSU line quite frequently when you don't agree with what's posted. What's up with that? It's implied that your way of supporting MSU is the only way and you see it and is superior to those that don't feel the same fervor for the athletic programs and those that lead them. If that's not what's intended then why does anything being negative or positive matter. How we as a fan and alumni base feel is up to us isn't it. Positive or negative connotations of message board post definitely doesn't effect the way MSU is perceived nationally or for that matter even by our neighboring states.

I'm sorry... What?

- I have NEVER implied any such thing. AT ..... ALL. Try again with honesty. Something I teach my athletes.

- Why does it matter? When a person only posts negative comments that are not factually based, it opens up debate. MS7 is NOT scared of debate. That I assure you you. Nor am I. We have an issue in this nation that is the lack of understanding behind a keyboard. I can relate this to Politics and Sports. So once again..... MS7 should be able to express his opinion. YOU DON'T SEE ME BELITTLE HIM FOR IT. He would rather look at facts and be cautious. I would rather look at the facts and apply them ALL. A few examples here for you:

- MS7 is cautious with KS St. I'm not. The reasons he is s due to game 1 of MS St and other spouting the "WE WILL SUCK ON THE DL". I explained we were vanilla in game 1 because we didn't have to be anything other than. MS7 was not of that opinion. 1-they won't stop our offense, 2 they have nothing and we will win the game while gaining experience with our youth.

- MS7 vs the rest of our schedule.. Let's use LSU. He points out that LSU had great offensive numbers.... I point out that TX had to replace 8 starters from a defense that was ranked 120th last year in pass defense and ... AND TX has no run game.... AND LSU had not a damn thing to do with a wide open dropped 5 yard pass by TX for a TD. There wasn't a defender in the area.

In short... I choose Ms St because I see a path. Ms7 would rather be careful... and hedge his comments. Me.. I don't mind putting myself out there

BB30
09-09-2019, 02:26 PM

The only issue I see with 7 is he tends to give the benefit of the doubt to every team not named Mississippi State. Already seen it with Auburn and TN this year. You need a bit of both to get the full story but balance is good. Truth usually lies somewhere in between 7 and 007.

Tbonewannabe
09-09-2019, 02:32 PM
The only issue I see with 7 is he tends to give the benefit of the doubt to every team not named Mississippi State. Already seen it with Auburn and TN this year. You need a bit of both to get the full story but balance is good. Truth usually lies somewhere in between 7 and 007.

Yep, if you listen to 007 then you are disappointed to only win 8 regular season games, if you listen to 7 then you are pleasantly surprised to win more than 6.

Coach007
09-09-2019, 02:35 PM

See, I have no problem with that.

Commercecomet24
09-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Yep, if you listen to 007 then you are disappointed to only win 8 regular season games, if you listen to 7 then you are pleasantly surprised to win more than 6.

007 is Clark Griswald and 7 is art the father in law in Christmas Vacation. Clark sees the beauty in all the pretty lights and art only sees that the little lights are not twinkling lol

ETA and I like both 007 and 7.

msstate7
09-09-2019, 02:38 PM

Come on mane... I predicted 7-5

TrapGame
09-09-2019, 02:39 PM

Funny how all the talk about Tennessee giving us a tough game has disappeared. I watched the AU/Tulane game on SECN last night. AU's got some problems: freshman QB and soft OL are just the beginning.

msstate7
09-09-2019, 02:42 PM
Funny how all the talk about Tennessee giving us a tough game has disappeared. I watched the AU/Tulane game on SECN last night. AU's got some problems: freshman QB and soft OL are just the beginning.

Tenn has certainly disappointed. Auburn has a much better win than us. Tulane is better than either of our 2 opponents too

TrapGame
09-09-2019, 02:48 PM
Tenn has certainly disappointed. Auburn has a much better win than us. Tulane is better than either of our 2 opponents too

C'mon bruh!

(Am sure you'll dig some stats up though***)

msstate7
09-09-2019, 02:50 PM
C'mon bruh!

(Am sure you'll dig some stats up though***)

Nah, not really. Tulane did smoke ULL in bowl though last year

BrunswickDawg
09-09-2019, 02:53 PM

Didn't you say the same thing about Auburn's similar "big win" in last year's season opener against Washington?

Tbonewannabe
09-09-2019, 02:53 PM
Nah, not really. Tulane did smoke ULL in bowl though last year

ULL returned almost their entire offense with 3 RBs accounting for almost 3,000 yards rushing. Did Tulane bring back that much? I still think we lose to AU, A&M, LSU, and Bama but there is a chance at AU and A&M.

Tbonewannabe
09-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Come on mane... I predicted 7-5

Just giving you shit. LOL.

msstate7
09-09-2019, 02:58 PM
ULL returned almost their entire offense with 3 RBs accounting for almost 3,000 yards rushing. Did Tulane bring back that much? I still think we lose to AU, A&M, LSU, and Bama but there is a chance at AU and A&M.

Tulane returned qb and top 3 RBs. Tulane was also top 25 nationally rushing

Tbonewannabe
09-09-2019, 03:04 PM
Tulane returned qb and top 3 RBs. Tulane was also top 25 nationally rushing

It will be interesting to see how Nix does going forward. Malzahn hasn't proven that he can improve a QB since the only good ones he has gotten have been transfers. If Nix doesn't improve then AU is going to be in a lot of close games that will probably not go in their favor.